Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

MiRanda

I have heard the most about our education program. Eastern makes sure eachstudent is well prepared to be placed in a classroom. They prepare us for what it will be like when we're in the real worl looking for our own teaching jobs.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself I would start by telling myself to make a decision now instead of wating until the very last minute to get all of the paper work filled out. Also, I would give myself a heads up on just how different college really is from high school. I would be sure to let myself know that due dates, in college, are not just a suggested time to get assignments turned in. I would also warn myself to keep focused and to keep my priorities in line. These next few years will follow me for the rest of my life so do everything in my power to give my best work. I would tell myself to be sure to have fun and not get too extremely stressed out but to make sure I am getting my work done.

Usualy the first thing i say is we have a good sized campus. It's not too big, but also not too small. I also like to brag about the professors I've had so far. At Eastern the classes are all student based. They very rarely get to be large classes and this is nice for th students coming from small schools because they aren't used to big classroom settings.

Jocelyn

Eastern Illinois University is a public comprehensive university that offers superior, accessible undergraduate and graduate education.

The best advice I could give myself would just be prepared. I believe preparation is key in making a clean and successful transition to and in college . I would tell myself to take the time to investigate different schools and make sure I feel comfortable about my decision. I'd advice taking many college tours and having everything in order such as: finances, room and board, and course schedule once i did decide where i wanted to attend. Grades should be the main focus, so that entails many hours of studying and keeping up on homework. In effect, If "I" keep up on everything then I will have time for fun, activities and social events which is essential to having the time of my life. So doing the best I can and working hard should be priority but having a great time is essential and a perfect balance in having the total college experience.

Trevor

Eastern gives students that feel beaten by the educational system something that's necessary, intangible, invisible and invaluable: hope for earning a degree.

These kinds of questions are always fun to muse on for a while, but they make it so easy for us to ignore the value of the path we've already taken. Certainly there are times when I doubted myself and the choices I've made, where I did not like the path I had travelled thusfar. Those feelings really only reinforce the value of the lessons I've since learned as a result of living through those difficult times. How would I stack the deck in my favor? I wouldn't. If I did, I may have earned my degree already, but I can't say that I would have valued that degree to the extent that I would today, or at all. My resolve to keep going against the odds is a strength that I would be foolish to discard so easily.

Eastern Illinois University is perfect for anyone who has considered themselves to be a lost cause at some point in college. EIU gives a great opportunity to working adults, or just anyone that's convinced that you've been out of school for so long that you would be starting over from scratch. No matter how long ago it was, your past classes may still be worth credits here. I am very greatful for this program.

Tiffany

My classmates range from all different ages and backgrounds.

My classmates range from all different ages and backgrounds.

I would tell myself to try to as hard as you can to get into the school that you want. Never settle because of the cost to attend. Work hard but also give yourself time to relax and make sure you take advantage of every oppourtunity given to you. Meet as many new people as you can and get out of your comfort zone.

I dont really like how small it is. Iv always wanted to attend a bigger Univeristy.

Renae

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first encourage myself to seek out a counselor and talk to him/her about attending college. I would then explain how college works - the education, the social networking opportunities, and how the job and earning prospects would be almost limitless. There would be discussion about how college would provide me greater earning potential throughout my lifetime and that the opportunities for a fulfilling career (and not just a job) would be far greater than with only a high school education. I would also explain to myself how there were academic scholarships and/or grants for which I would qualify to assist with the costs of college. To wrap up the discussion, I would talk to myself about how an extended education would allow me to never feel inferior to friends, colleagues, or even my children. And since I know how important family is, I would end the conversation by telling myself how I would be setting a great example for not only others in my family, but especially my children.

The best advantage is the class offerings in my local area.

The one advantage I am excited about is class availability on weekends and evenings.

Michelle

You know that decision that you made to not just let life pass you by and actually get involved...there is such a thing as going too far. You don't need to join every group that asks you to, even if it will look good on a resume - so would not having a mental breakdown halfway through college. Remember to take time to breathe and hang out with the amazing people that you will meet here, and keep that open mind that you're always yacking-on about, it will definatley come in handy with the people that you will meet here. I know EIU was not your first choice, and that you only applied here because dad told you too, but it really is a blast, and you will come to love it here, just make sure that you give it a chance.

The community here is amazing. It's like a small town, people like to come together to help those around them, even if it's just because you lost your keys. It may have 12,000 people, but it's tight-knit.

Eastern Illnois is known for their great teaching program. Elementary education and special education are the two huge majors people come to eastern for. Although i am not an education major, i have been witnessing many people succeed in it.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself to prepare to be more independent and confident. College is a time to find yourself and figure out what you want to do in life, and myself as a senior did not expect it. I have learned that being independent is not as scary as i assumed, and going back in time would allow me to tell myself to not worry so much about moving away and being on my own. I would also tell myself that you have to be devoted to your school work. I did expect school to be challenging, but going back in time would reassure mysef what to expect.

Students who are not motivated to do well in school and go to class should not attend Eastern Illinois or any other college. College student need to have the motivation to get up and go to class, and succeed in all of their classes to succeed in the future.

Catherine

Friendly, caring, responsible, enthusiastic, positive, diverse.

Friendly, caring, responsible, enthusiastic, positive, diverse.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You made this choice because you know it's the right one for you. Be yourself, and you'll meet plenty of people. Some of them will be the people you can't live without after college and some will just be passerbys on your journey to graduation. Living on your own is going to be tough at the start, but it gets easier. Remember to take showers so you don't scare people away with your stench. Your roommate is in the same situation as you, so just be nice and understanding, and help each other through. It's going to be amazing. Don't hold back. You're ready for this.

Gregory

My classmates are fun, looking for a good education, open to meeting and becoming friends with new people, and, finally, mostly open to new ideas.

I would tell myself that the time you put into your education is the most valuable time you can spend while on campus. What you put into your education, you will get out of it. Your social life can wait. Yes, do make friends while on campus, and do join organizations you believe in. However, do not make the mistake that you will lose social status-points because you are "too busy" because of your studies. Your new friends are practically in the same boat as you, so they will get over any dissappointment you cause due to your studies. If they do not, then they probably were not the best friends for you anyway. Just remember: What you put intoyour education, you will get out of it.

The worst thing about my school is the almost incessant drinking that goes on around here. This school is semi-famous for its drinking, and that reputation leads to incoming students looking for the best parties. In turn, this continues the worst aspect of my school.

Brian

They are friendly and willing to help each other through difficult classes.

They are friendly and willing to help each other through difficult classes.

I would tell myself to work hard from the beginning and be confident in myself. It will all work itself out in time.

The athletics events aren't very big or exciting and don't recieve very much support from the students.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.