Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Autumn

At Eastern Illinois University you have the opportunity to join a community of friendly, down -to-earth people in earning a great education from experienced professors, attending an endless amount of on-campus events, joining various professional, fraternal, or interest-oriented extra curriculars all while being a student on this beautiful campus!

Obviously college is necessary to earn a degree and find a career you love, but please remember to take advantage of the resources around you! Whether there is a hobby you want to explore further, a question concerning your resume, or advice on how to live a healthy lifestyle there are not only students seeking the same information but there are professors and advisors who wish you would ask them about such matters. College provides the opportunity to grow in your independence, explore interests you've always wanted to explore, and meet the best friends you've always desired. Enjoy!

Students at Eastern Illinois University need to be willing to get involved with either events, clubs, organizations, or at the very least be outgoing enough to form a solid group of friends who you can hang out with when taking a break from classes or studying.

Too go back in time would be an adventure in itself, but if my goal was to give myself advice about the college life, I would have a few pointers. I would make a "To-Do" List and promise to stick by it. I would attend more dorm activites and meetings- becasue the few I did were tons of fun, and more would have been great. I would tell myself to get involved in as much as I could handle. I wish I took advantage of all the awesome things my school offered, such as the honors clubs, dance teams, and fun athletic events. I would soak it all in and take a lot of pictures to remember them by this time. I would advise myself to be friendly because everyone else is a brand new college freshman too, and probably feels just as lost as I will feel. I would exercise more- to avoid the inevitable "freshman 15"- and just have fun! I would remind myself not to give in to peer pressure, and not to abuse my newly found freedom. Ultimatly, I would remind me to stay focused on school and enjoy my years as a college kid!

The only thing that I find negative about my school is the fact that the library closes at 1am most days. I wish it could stay open longer, because I enjoy studying there. I understand that it has to close sometime, but the idea of a 24/7 library facility would be nice. :)

I am proud to say I go to my college. I have visited friends at other schools, and am so grateful I go to EIU. Its all a personal preference, but I just fit here. I can brag about the class sizes and how its very interactive with the other students and professor. I feel bad for my friends that have classes with 100+ students, because they have no time or room to ask questions if need be.

Lisa

Do you remember the days when your mom woke you up for school? The most significant transition from high school to college is the choice you make to go to class. Attendance is generally not taken in many classes, depending on the size of the classroom, which makes it essentially your choice to go. Along those lines, your schedule will be much different from the one you were use to in high school. Some days you may not have classes, and other days will be typically shorter than what you have experienced in high school. With shorter days and more time to spare, making sure that you manage your time wisely is vital in being successful in college. The key to staying motivated in school is to remember why you are in college. Meeting people and making friends is important, however, your social life is not why you are in college. The biggest mistake I see college students make is the habits and surroundings they fall into, and the priorities they forget they have

I think any person can attend school as long as they are motivated. If their desire to do something with themselves is strong enough than any person should be able to atted school. However, the people who want to experience "college life," rather then school itself; those are the people who should not attend school. School requires a lot of time, hard work, and most of all motivation. If a person cannot put in this type of dedication they may not be suitable for school

The most frustrating thing about school is watching people get distracted or get caught up in other things and do poorly in school. It amazes me to see people who have potential and do not take advantage of those qualities, and let themselves fail. For myself however, the most frustrating thing is trying to understand a concept that you simply cannot grasp. Thankfully, there are counselors and classmates, as well as teachers that can help you catch up.

Reneesha

My School is Small, friendly, and inexpensive.

My School is Small, friendly, and inexpensive.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself before entering college I would tell myself to make the best of my experience, get involved right away on campus, learn to stay away from people who cause drama and stress, and last but not least do not try to be best friends with your roommate. I believe I should have had more fun my first year than sitting in my dorm most of the time. I believe I should have got involved in many different activities so I could better network with others and to meet some pretty cool people while gaining leadership opprtunities. I think my grades would have been better if I did not have to deal with certian people I surrounded myself with that made my life difficult and stressful and people that were focused on studies rather than fraternity men. I think trying to be best friends with my first roommate was the entire wrong decision because when that occurs you become scared to say something if something you do not like occurs.

when telling friends about my school I brag on the fact that we have textbook rental services instead of buying our books and if we want the books we have the option of buying them but are not forced to. I also brag on the fact that it is one of the most inexpensive universities in the state of Illinois and they are well known for their teaching program.

MiRanda

I have heard the most about our education program. Eastern makes sure eachstudent is well prepared to be placed in a classroom. They prepare us for what it will be like when we're in the real worl looking for our own teaching jobs.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself I would start by telling myself to make a decision now instead of wating until the very last minute to get all of the paper work filled out. Also, I would give myself a heads up on just how different college really is from high school. I would be sure to let myself know that due dates, in college, are not just a suggested time to get assignments turned in. I would also warn myself to keep focused and to keep my priorities in line. These next few years will follow me for the rest of my life so do everything in my power to give my best work. I would tell myself to be sure to have fun and not get too extremely stressed out but to make sure I am getting my work done.

Usualy the first thing i say is we have a good sized campus. It's not too big, but also not too small. I also like to brag about the professors I've had so far. At Eastern the classes are all student based. They very rarely get to be large classes and this is nice for th students coming from small schools because they aren't used to big classroom settings.

Jocelyn

Eastern Illinois University is a public comprehensive university that offers superior, accessible undergraduate and graduate education.

The best advice I could give myself would just be prepared. I believe preparation is key in making a clean and successful transition to and in college . I would tell myself to take the time to investigate different schools and make sure I feel comfortable about my decision. I'd advice taking many college tours and having everything in order such as: finances, room and board, and course schedule once i did decide where i wanted to attend. Grades should be the main focus, so that entails many hours of studying and keeping up on homework. In effect, If "I" keep up on everything then I will have time for fun, activities and social events which is essential to having the time of my life. So doing the best I can and working hard should be priority but having a great time is essential and a perfect balance in having the total college experience.

Trevor

Eastern gives students that feel beaten by the educational system something that's necessary, intangible, invisible and invaluable: hope for earning a degree.

These kinds of questions are always fun to muse on for a while, but they make it so easy for us to ignore the value of the path we've already taken. Certainly there are times when I doubted myself and the choices I've made, where I did not like the path I had travelled thusfar. Those feelings really only reinforce the value of the lessons I've since learned as a result of living through those difficult times. How would I stack the deck in my favor? I wouldn't. If I did, I may have earned my degree already, but I can't say that I would have valued that degree to the extent that I would today, or at all. My resolve to keep going against the odds is a strength that I would be foolish to discard so easily.

Eastern Illinois University is perfect for anyone who has considered themselves to be a lost cause at some point in college. EIU gives a great opportunity to working adults, or just anyone that's convinced that you've been out of school for so long that you would be starting over from scratch. No matter how long ago it was, your past classes may still be worth credits here. I am very greatful for this program.

Tiffany

My classmates range from all different ages and backgrounds.

My classmates range from all different ages and backgrounds.

I would tell myself to try to as hard as you can to get into the school that you want. Never settle because of the cost to attend. Work hard but also give yourself time to relax and make sure you take advantage of every oppourtunity given to you. Meet as many new people as you can and get out of your comfort zone.

I dont really like how small it is. Iv always wanted to attend a bigger Univeristy.

Renae

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first encourage myself to seek out a counselor and talk to him/her about attending college. I would then explain how college works - the education, the social networking opportunities, and how the job and earning prospects would be almost limitless. There would be discussion about how college would provide me greater earning potential throughout my lifetime and that the opportunities for a fulfilling career (and not just a job) would be far greater than with only a high school education. I would also explain to myself how there were academic scholarships and/or grants for which I would qualify to assist with the costs of college. To wrap up the discussion, I would talk to myself about how an extended education would allow me to never feel inferior to friends, colleagues, or even my children. And since I know how important family is, I would end the conversation by telling myself how I would be setting a great example for not only others in my family, but especially my children.

The best advantage is the class offerings in my local area.

The one advantage I am excited about is class availability on weekends and evenings.

Michelle

You know that decision that you made to not just let life pass you by and actually get involved...there is such a thing as going too far. You don't need to join every group that asks you to, even if it will look good on a resume - so would not having a mental breakdown halfway through college. Remember to take time to breathe and hang out with the amazing people that you will meet here, and keep that open mind that you're always yacking-on about, it will definatley come in handy with the people that you will meet here. I know EIU was not your first choice, and that you only applied here because dad told you too, but it really is a blast, and you will come to love it here, just make sure that you give it a chance.

The community here is amazing. It's like a small town, people like to come together to help those around them, even if it's just because you lost your keys. It may have 12,000 people, but it's tight-knit.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.