Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Eastern Illinois University is a medium sized school built around a small town, but it is the small town atmosphere that makes the school friendly and enjoyable.

Take more time on papers and projects. Don't let friends take away from study time. College is important for your future career. Also save money before college so you don't have to work three jobs to help pay for rent, books, groceries etc. And finally be open to new experiences they will help you grow as a person.

A person who is easy going, likes to meet different people, and enjoys a small town atmosphere. EIU students are laid back, but most are determined to work for their grades to succeed in their majors.

Brandy

Eastern Illinois University is known for their academics. The buisness school is one of the best around and the teachers are friendly. The classes are small and the teacher's really care about how you are doing. The food on campus is great. They give you fat free options and there are over 5 places to eat so it never gets old.

I would tell myself to make lots of friends and get to know people. Get involved on campus right away with at least 2 organizations. Speek with advisors about class schedules and plan out your years. Also speek with Career Services about resumes and internships. Go to the career fairs and practice networking. Learn who you are right away and figure out what you want to accomplish in your years at school.

The worst thing about Eastern Illinois University is nothing.

Jason

Eastern Illinois University is know for being a good school for education majors. We also have a great Kinesiology and Sports Studies program. The resources for the KSS department are great. We also are well known for having pretty good athletics.

I would advise my self to go to my dream school. Instead of going away after high school I went to a junior college for two years. Although this saved me money I feel it took away the full college experience. After transferring schools, I felt it was hard to make friends and get actively involved in campus. It took me a whole year to feel like Eastern Illinois University was the right fit for me. If I went to my dream school right out of high school, I would had four years to get completely comfortable and enjoy. I would also tell myself to become as active as possible on campus. This helps you make friends and get to know students and staff that you will see around campus. Being active in anthletics and clubs that are related to your major will look good on your resume and help when you apply for jobs. Another important thing I would tell myself is to apply for financial aid as early as possible. Applying for every scholarship possible is another important tip that freshman should follow. Most importantly I would tell myself to fun while keeping focussed.

Anyone looking for a school that isn't too big or isn't too small. There is plenty to do on and off campus. The location is great too because it is close to a few major highways and only three hours south of Chicago. The staff and faculty is very nice and helpful. All the facilities and buildings are well kept and maintained.

I think I would try to better prepare myself for the amount of time I would need to spend studying and doing homework. High school wasn't very hard for me, so the transition to college work was a big shock. I would also try to prepare better for meeting new people. I am very shy so in the begining it was very hard for me to get to know people and I stayed in my dorm a lot. Thinking back, I would have enjoyed school a lot more if I would have gone to some of the school functions like meet and greets for students so that I could meet more people that were going through the same adjustments that I was. That is the most importnant thing to realize, you are not alone! Almost all the freshmen have the same feelings as you! If you can find people with similar intrests as you, you will be able to help eachother adjust to this new life and you will form a lasting friendship!

I think that the best thing about the school is the size. It is a smaller campus so its easy to get used to and familiar with. It doesn't take very long to get to your classes so that's a bonus! Also since it's small, many of the teachers get a chance to know you personally and you get more one on one time with them.

The worst thing about Eastern Illinois is definately the town it is located in. There is not much to do here. There is no shopping near by and not a lot of activites to do on weekends. It is a very small town so it is hard for many people to get used to.

Casey

Easy to talk too.. very helpful.. intertaining

Easy to talk too.. very helpful.. intertaining

I would tell myself don't be afraid of leaving.. school is fun and don't be afraid to try knew things it will make your life better! Eastern is a great place you will be glad you picked it!!! Make sure to go to the events they are so much fun!

I have so much fun here.. the events are amazing and my friends are sweet!!!

samantha

I would tell myself to plan for school way ahead of time. Also i would tell myself to take foreign language classes and a few physic classes.

The worst thing about my school is that it is four hours away from my family. I have never been away from home, deffinitly will be hard.

They type of person who should attend this school should be very dedicated, passionate, and involved in the school.

Alexandra

What I have noticed that was unique about Eastern Illinois University is that the campus is the perfect size for any college student. Also, in the fall or the spring time, the trees are beautiful and the ccampus just makes you feel welcomed inside.

College is going to be a drastic change, dont give up right away, stick with it and you will learn so many new things not just in school but from other people around you.

I believe that a person with an outgoing/relaxed, smart personality should definitely attend Eastern Illinois University.

Jasmine

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college is way different than high school. I would tell myself not to expect things to come as easy as they did then because college is a time where you have to rapidly mentally and socially. Do not worry about what others say or do, just stay true to yourself because you can do anything. Do not be discouraged nor overwhelmed by stubborn professors and complicated deadlines. College is a place where procrastination is not accepted so keep up with yourself and your coursework. Don't expect professors to treat you anything different from an adult, they expect you to attend class, pay attention, and to be responsible for a syllabus whether it makes sense or not. These are just words of advice but don't let them discourage you, I know you can do anything.

Mostly people interested in going into the field of Education. This campus seems to have a bigger Education program more than any other.

We rent textbooks rather than purchasing them.

Gregory

I would tell myself that college is totally different than high school, both socially and academically. You are going to college to prepare for a career. That is your top priority, by far. Do not make the mistake of abusing the freedom you will have once you get to school. Wasting time on stuff that is not even socially related, and is still not academically related, is the easiest way for you to dig a hole that is difficult to climb out of. However, do not hesitate to make new friends and participate in different group activities. Remember to only be yourself. There is no one you have to impress (at least, there should not be). Unfortunately some of the same social cliques that exist in high school still exist in college. Even some of the same types of drama still exist. Rise above it. Do not abandon your prior beliefs and values without a lot of consideration. If you run into trouble, ask for help. Trust the people you are friends with to have some sort of knowledge that can help you. Learn from them. Most importantly: Rely on God, because He will always be there for you.

The presence of bars so close to campus, which helps contribute to the prevalence of alcohol that exists in campus social life. Also, the fact that a large enough portion of the student/teacher population smokes leads to a sometimes uncomfortable experience while walking to and from classes.

I brag about the fine arts programs and the cool experiences I have with the teachers. Also, I "brag" about the friends I have made and the experpiences I have had.

katherine

Open to new learning strategies, friendly, and always supportive of your acedmic and non acedademic endeavors.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax and go with the flow. Applying for colleges can be a stressful process, and as an only child, I didnt have many people to turn to for personal experience. I would advice myself to look into specifically what I am looking for in a college, whether it be the size of the school, size of classes, opportunities for social networking, amounts of on and off campus activities, etc.. You cant plan everything, and not everything is going to go according to plan, but sometimes the things you didnt plan for are the ones that you value the most.

That I was going to meet friends that would keep for the rest of my life, and to keep a more open mind to social activities

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.