Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Alexandra

What I have noticed that was unique about Eastern Illinois University is that the campus is the perfect size for any college student. Also, in the fall or the spring time, the trees are beautiful and the ccampus just makes you feel welcomed inside.

College is going to be a drastic change, dont give up right away, stick with it and you will learn so many new things not just in school but from other people around you.

I believe that a person with an outgoing/relaxed, smart personality should definitely attend Eastern Illinois University.

Jasmine

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college is way different than high school. I would tell myself not to expect things to come as easy as they did then because college is a time where you have to rapidly mentally and socially. Do not worry about what others say or do, just stay true to yourself because you can do anything. Do not be discouraged nor overwhelmed by stubborn professors and complicated deadlines. College is a place where procrastination is not accepted so keep up with yourself and your coursework. Don't expect professors to treat you anything different from an adult, they expect you to attend class, pay attention, and to be responsible for a syllabus whether it makes sense or not. These are just words of advice but don't let them discourage you, I know you can do anything.

Mostly people interested in going into the field of Education. This campus seems to have a bigger Education program more than any other.

We rent textbooks rather than purchasing them.

Gregory

I would tell myself that college is totally different than high school, both socially and academically. You are going to college to prepare for a career. That is your top priority, by far. Do not make the mistake of abusing the freedom you will have once you get to school. Wasting time on stuff that is not even socially related, and is still not academically related, is the easiest way for you to dig a hole that is difficult to climb out of. However, do not hesitate to make new friends and participate in different group activities. Remember to only be yourself. There is no one you have to impress (at least, there should not be). Unfortunately some of the same social cliques that exist in high school still exist in college. Even some of the same types of drama still exist. Rise above it. Do not abandon your prior beliefs and values without a lot of consideration. If you run into trouble, ask for help. Trust the people you are friends with to have some sort of knowledge that can help you. Learn from them. Most importantly: Rely on God, because He will always be there for you.

The presence of bars so close to campus, which helps contribute to the prevalence of alcohol that exists in campus social life. Also, the fact that a large enough portion of the student/teacher population smokes leads to a sometimes uncomfortable experience while walking to and from classes.

I brag about the fine arts programs and the cool experiences I have with the teachers. Also, I "brag" about the friends I have made and the experpiences I have had.

katherine

Open to new learning strategies, friendly, and always supportive of your acedmic and non acedademic endeavors.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax and go with the flow. Applying for colleges can be a stressful process, and as an only child, I didnt have many people to turn to for personal experience. I would advice myself to look into specifically what I am looking for in a college, whether it be the size of the school, size of classes, opportunities for social networking, amounts of on and off campus activities, etc.. You cant plan everything, and not everything is going to go according to plan, but sometimes the things you didnt plan for are the ones that you value the most.

That I was going to meet friends that would keep for the rest of my life, and to keep a more open mind to social activities

Caleb

Eastern Illinois University is best known for Tony Romo. He attended EIU for four years, and is now a pro bowl quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, if you didn't already know. We also have one of the best athletic training facilities in the state of Illinois. We like to take care of our athletes here.

What's unique about EIU is the fact that it's a bigger campus than the other schools i considered. Most of the school's had a small feel, or were junior colleges. Eastern was nice because it was alot bigger than the others. It actually felt like I was looking at a college and not just a bigger high school. I really liked that feel.

I would tell myself that you need to get ready for independence. It hits you like a brick wall. In high school you feel independent, and think you need to just move out, and college seems like a get away, but it's not as easy as it seems. I thought I'd go to college live on my own and be just fine. Just go to classes, eat my three meals a day, and hang out with my friends. Not that easy. Hangin with my friends was easy, but after meal plans ran out, I had to spend money on food, so it dissapeared quick. Then classes aren't as easy as high school, because they're spread out and no one cares if you go or not. The advice I would give myself is be ready to be hit with responsibility. If you can be responsible, you'll have no problems, but if you just live it up and enjoy the fun side of college, you could be in for a world of hurt.

As a high school senior, I was very studious, in all Advanced Placement and honors classes, and remained involved in my school, being president of Interact Club- our student-led volunteer service organization, and a member of Future Educators of America. At the same time, I worked a part time job at the local grocery store. Through this, I learned a great deal of time management, which has helped me greatly at Eastern Illinois University. I would advise myself to remain focused and well-rounded throughout the end of my high school career, and that the leadership and time management skills I was learning and practicing really will benefit me in the future, both at the university level and in my future career, as a high school mathematics teacher.

School spirit! Everyone here loves EIU and the community.

Not having a car, although public transportation (the student shuttle) is readily available.

Heather

If I could go back to being a senior I would take school more seriously and make it a priority to make it to state in cross country and track. I also would of taken more dual credit classes so the credits can transfer over to EIU that way Id be a few credits ahead over other students. I would of saved up more money instead of spending it over the summer. I never realized how expensive school was, especially when you are paying for everything on your own!

The size! Im not just saying its perfect because of what only I think. If you ask anybody on campus they will say the size is perfect. Its not as big as U of I, and its not as bis as ISU or NIU. Its also not the smallest college in Illinois. The size makes class sizes perfect. Its rare to have all lecture halls, and If you are in a lecture hall its only a maximum of 200 students compared to 400 at other universities.

Since this is the cheapest in state University in Illinois many blacks or other students go here and dont even appreciate all the financial aid they get or take advantage of all the different scholarships they can get.

Randi

In comparison to other institutions, I found that Eastern Illinois University possessed a significant representation of various cultures and values, and a community that derives on uplifting every individual at the school, despite someone's ethnic background. Eastern provides a variety of extracurricular activities ran by experienced professors and staff members that will mold your skills to become profitable to companies. When choosing a college I considered these aspects most important for my learning ability when faced with the work force after I graduate.

Growing out of your shell, meeting new people, and getting inolved in your future career is the main point of college. The hardest part about college is staying focus on your studies. and striving to recieve As on your report card. Try to find an equilibrium between having fun and finishing all your school work. Make sure the college you attend suits your personality and allows you to spread your wings and develop within yourself. College is full of temptation knocking at your door, to avoid these temptations, pick and choose your friends wisely. It is time to become an adult and make grown up decisions, this is when you start paving the right path for your future, college is full of drugs, alcohol, boys and people that stir you in the wrong direction, keep focus on why you attended college. Never be afraid to ask your professors for help, make study groups with people in your class, and always keep up with the reading the teacher assigns. Last but not least, stay away from the fatty college food it's not good for you.

Most eastern students do not utilize the many resources that are provided here at eastern. Instead students wish to exert their energy towards meaningless tasks that are a waste of time. Most students choose to occupy their day playing card games, partying, drinking, and missing class to sleep, because they were hanging out with friends all night. It frustrates me to see talented students throw away their money and brilliance doing something that could wait till the summer time. These same students could become leaders in clubs and groups, and instead they spend their time with pointless activities.

Roberto

The School is most likely known for it's great school spirit. A few well known coaches from the NFL are from here, as well as Tony Romo, the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys.

If I were to talk to myself as a high school senior I would definetly tell myself to stay focused in school. I would tell myself to get involved right from the get go, make some new friends, socialize, don't be afraid, don't be shy, to put myself out there where people will recognize you for being you. Don't be afraid of attention, don't be afraid to try to succeed, don't be afraid of trying your best, be happy for who you are. The transition is very different regarding homework load, but stick to the studies and do well in every class, no matter if the class is boring. I would tell myself to just be safe and don't do anything that I would regret.

Eastern Illinois is almost as if I was in high school. I have great friends, the teachers are great, I get the time needed to do what I have to do.

Sara

Hello there, former self! It's me... I've come to give you advice on college! Before you choose a college, think about what major you want to pursue. You don't want to have to take extra classes like I do because of indecision! Now, you don't have to know exactly what major you want, but have a vague idea of your interests. There will usually be a core of general education classes you'll have to take, so start with those if you're not sure. What's that you ask? Where should you go to college? Look for a college that has a strong department for whatever you're thinking of doing. You might also consider the distance you'll have to travel. I did horribly when I had to drive half an hour to campus; I dropped most of my classes! But when I moved onto campus, my GPA skyrocketed. If you think the commute will hinder your education, live on campus. Your guidance councelor should have information on different schools. You need to start preparing now. Save up some money if you can and apply for scholarships. College is expensive. Remember to study!

I wish that I had known that it is acceptable to make new friends and keep the old. My high school friends came to the university with me, so I had no need, in my opinion, to make new friends. Once all my friends had dropped out though, I found what I had been missing out on.

I believe that Eastern is a very good school for almost anyone. It is a very strong school for teacher education, but I don't believe that there is an engineering department; it would be wise to choose another school if you're thinking of an engineering major. Though I find the classes to be relatively easy, if one does not have the self-control to go to class, no school is fitting for that individual.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.