Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Alexandra

We are in the middle of nowhere and we have a castle.

We are in the middle of nowhere and we have a castle.

Pick something that you are most interested in studying.

This school accepts anyone who is willing to learn.

I would say that the thing that makes us unique is that it's a small campus so your classes are small. You really get to know the people in your classes, and it's really awesome when you go onto a new semester and you see your friends that you previously made in other classes. You feel like you fit in better.

My advice to parents would be try to find the best education out there for your child's choice of major. Keeping in mind your financail situation, it get's really stressful when you get in a financial rut, this happened to me this past semester and it causes the student to really lose focus on their studies. Also, try to find a campus that is small, that way their student gets the most out of their learning exprerience and they really get to know their professors and classmates due to the teacher/student ratio. My last comment would be to make sure the student can handle going away to college, many students get to college that is further away from home, and months into it they want to drop out and come home because they get home sick and they didn't think they would. Make sure, the student applies to more than three places so their options are limitless. Thank you

The kind of person who shouldn't attend EIU would be someone who is looking for constant fun, there isn't much around Charleston it's a very small time. Also, someone who is looking to just slide right by to Graduation. Attending EIU you have to give it your all and work hard to earn you're grades.

kristen

There is alot of school spirit at my school. It is a medium-large campus. It is a pretty area. People here are so nice!

I think that you really need to see more than one school. You need to see a bunch of schools to pick the right one for you. You need to know that you have to be serious and studious. You must be focused and determined. But you should also remember to have fun and make friends. Let people in, get to know them. You will make the most amazing life-long friends here.

I think someone that should't attend this school is someone who is not focused and determined. If you need alot of outside school activities I wouldn't go here. But if you are content being involved in school and just hanging out this is agreat school.

shatoni

I would tell parents and students that they should make the choice together. I believe that the parent should be invovled thought out the whole process. Students should make sure they visted the campus, contact some people who attend the school. That way you will get a small view of what the campus it like. I would also tell them that although this is one of the most important decision of you life, make sure you attend a school where you will be happy. A school where you can enjoy yourself socially and academicly.

I feel like there are not enought activities that minorities would be interested in. More things off campus that the student can get involved in, so that they would not also drink and do crazy things on the weekends.

nothing, i dont see anything special about this school.

Olivia

EIU is a smaller college than most which provides an intimate setting for learning and discovering.

It is extremely important that the student in question is comfortable at his or her new college. Sometimes the sizes of colleges can be intimidating or clostrophobic to students. I encourage every student to visit several colleges before making his or her choice. The college visits help students get an idea of what college life is like. If you can, chat with current students at the college to get a better idea of what campus life is like. When you get to college, the best thing to become socially involved is to live on campus. Sure you may have to use a community bathroom, but you'll make many new friends in your dorm! Stay involved on campus, whether it's with a Greek orginization, clubs, sports, or volunteer work. This will ensure that you become a well rounded individual. Who knows, you may even meet a future employer while being in campus activities.

I get to do research for my psychology classes!

Nakayla

It is just the right size, which makes it really easy for a person to feel comfortable attending college. Everyone is very friendly on campus and is willing to help if needed.

Make sure that you decide what college is the right one for you. The college that you feel the most at ease at. Otherwise you will become depressed and stressed out about having to attend college and do all this work when you don't even want to be there. Try to get involved in some on campus activities it will make adjusting to the college life so much easier on a person.

The best thing about my school is that a person can find time to have a social life as well as just learning. Being in a sorority is a great way to stay active on campus. It can really make a person feel less stressed to have friends they know they can always rely on.

Marlesa

I would encouraged parents to research colleges and universities to find the best one that fits their needs. They should focus on cost, location and academics of the school. I would encourage the students to get involved in organizations and make a lot of new friends because your social life will help you stay on top of your academics.

Eastern Illinois University is one of the best teacher training schools in my state.

Prospective students and their parents should research the colleges they consider attending. Choosing a major always seems to be an important question and may help the student narrow down his/her choices. However, it has been my experience that college advisors will tend to push for one major that is based on ACT or SAT scores. As a high school senior full of hope and promise, I went to several orientations, chose my university and picked my major. I felt pressured (whether real or imagined) into choosing a major that was extremely difficult for me. By the second year of college I had become increasingly uncomfortable with my field of study. I felt like a failure and dealt with depression. I would advise students to take general education classes the first two years of college. By the second year there is growth, maturity and adjustment to the college routine. Students will be able to make better decisions on the field of study that really interests them. For me, the answer was as clear as the nose on my face by the second year, however it took me four semesters to realize it. Don't give up!

Not all of the credits from my transferring university applied at EIU, therefore, several of my courses had to be repeated. The process for getting credit would have been a very involved and I decided to take the courses over. Being the youngest of five children, it became rather expensive to repeat the classes. I am not a minority or eligible for financial assistance. I have had to use financial aid to take these classes over again. I feel that it was not very good use of my money.

Kristen

In finding the college that fits you best, the most important thing to look at is the environment (social and academic). Eastern Illinois University was the right fit for me because it was in a town that was not too big, yet it had enough social events to keep my social life exciting. The academic environment was right because the class sizes were rather small (30 per class) and the teachers/advisors were very accomodating and helpful. Another important thing to look for in a college of choice is majors. Some colleges offer majors that others dont. It may be that the college that fits environment wise wont fit major wise. In order to make the experience worthwhile the student should keep an open mind to what ever comes their way. The student should be willing to try things they have not tried as well as balance their social and academic obligations. Once there is a balance in social life and academic life, college life should be the best time ever.

The best thing about Eastern Illinois University is the learning environment. There are study area's all around campus, inside and out, that can be used for group or individual study. The comfortable couches and chairs in the lounges also help students relax while they are studying instead of the hard chairs that are commonly found in academic areas. I also think that the library is one of the best features of this school. It has a computer lab to be used solely for research that includes free printing.

The most frustrating thing about Eastern Illinois University is the parking. The parking lots for students are at least a 10 minute walk from any of the buildings (except the rec center). While the 10 minute walk is good for me and I dont mind, one is not guranteed a parking spot just because they have a parking permit. There are 12,000 students at Eastern and only six or seven parking lots, there might be enough parking for a few thousand at a time.

Faith

Find a college that fits your style. If you love city life don't attend a rural college and vice versa. Choose a college that is well known for the field you are entering. Once on campus, join organizations that center on your academic field and/or your hobbies. Find people with common interests. Freshman blues can be beat by surrounding yourself with friends and people with the same interests. Have fun! Explore!

KNow what you want to do. Don't major in something you are unsure about. Don't be afraid to change your major.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.