Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

kristen

There is alot of school spirit at my school. It is a medium-large campus. It is a pretty area. People here are so nice!

I think that you really need to see more than one school. You need to see a bunch of schools to pick the right one for you. You need to know that you have to be serious and studious. You must be focused and determined. But you should also remember to have fun and make friends. Let people in, get to know them. You will make the most amazing life-long friends here.

I think someone that should't attend this school is someone who is not focused and determined. If you need alot of outside school activities I wouldn't go here. But if you are content being involved in school and just hanging out this is agreat school.

shatoni

I would tell parents and students that they should make the choice together. I believe that the parent should be invovled thought out the whole process. Students should make sure they visted the campus, contact some people who attend the school. That way you will get a small view of what the campus it like. I would also tell them that although this is one of the most important decision of you life, make sure you attend a school where you will be happy. A school where you can enjoy yourself socially and academicly.

I feel like there are not enought activities that minorities would be interested in. More things off campus that the student can get involved in, so that they would not also drink and do crazy things on the weekends.

nothing, i dont see anything special about this school.

Olivia

EIU is a smaller college than most which provides an intimate setting for learning and discovering.

It is extremely important that the student in question is comfortable at his or her new college. Sometimes the sizes of colleges can be intimidating or clostrophobic to students. I encourage every student to visit several colleges before making his or her choice. The college visits help students get an idea of what college life is like. If you can, chat with current students at the college to get a better idea of what campus life is like. When you get to college, the best thing to become socially involved is to live on campus. Sure you may have to use a community bathroom, but you'll make many new friends in your dorm! Stay involved on campus, whether it's with a Greek orginization, clubs, sports, or volunteer work. This will ensure that you become a well rounded individual. Who knows, you may even meet a future employer while being in campus activities.

I get to do research for my psychology classes!

Nakayla

It is just the right size, which makes it really easy for a person to feel comfortable attending college. Everyone is very friendly on campus and is willing to help if needed.

Make sure that you decide what college is the right one for you. The college that you feel the most at ease at. Otherwise you will become depressed and stressed out about having to attend college and do all this work when you don't even want to be there. Try to get involved in some on campus activities it will make adjusting to the college life so much easier on a person.

The best thing about my school is that a person can find time to have a social life as well as just learning. Being in a sorority is a great way to stay active on campus. It can really make a person feel less stressed to have friends they know they can always rely on.

Marlesa

I would encouraged parents to research colleges and universities to find the best one that fits their needs. They should focus on cost, location and academics of the school. I would encourage the students to get involved in organizations and make a lot of new friends because your social life will help you stay on top of your academics.

Eastern Illinois University is one of the best teacher training schools in my state.

Prospective students and their parents should research the colleges they consider attending. Choosing a major always seems to be an important question and may help the student narrow down his/her choices. However, it has been my experience that college advisors will tend to push for one major that is based on ACT or SAT scores. As a high school senior full of hope and promise, I went to several orientations, chose my university and picked my major. I felt pressured (whether real or imagined) into choosing a major that was extremely difficult for me. By the second year of college I had become increasingly uncomfortable with my field of study. I felt like a failure and dealt with depression. I would advise students to take general education classes the first two years of college. By the second year there is growth, maturity and adjustment to the college routine. Students will be able to make better decisions on the field of study that really interests them. For me, the answer was as clear as the nose on my face by the second year, however it took me four semesters to realize it. Don't give up!

Not all of the credits from my transferring university applied at EIU, therefore, several of my courses had to be repeated. The process for getting credit would have been a very involved and I decided to take the courses over. Being the youngest of five children, it became rather expensive to repeat the classes. I am not a minority or eligible for financial assistance. I have had to use financial aid to take these classes over again. I feel that it was not very good use of my money.

Kristen

In finding the college that fits you best, the most important thing to look at is the environment (social and academic). Eastern Illinois University was the right fit for me because it was in a town that was not too big, yet it had enough social events to keep my social life exciting. The academic environment was right because the class sizes were rather small (30 per class) and the teachers/advisors were very accomodating and helpful. Another important thing to look for in a college of choice is majors. Some colleges offer majors that others dont. It may be that the college that fits environment wise wont fit major wise. In order to make the experience worthwhile the student should keep an open mind to what ever comes their way. The student should be willing to try things they have not tried as well as balance their social and academic obligations. Once there is a balance in social life and academic life, college life should be the best time ever.

The best thing about Eastern Illinois University is the learning environment. There are study area's all around campus, inside and out, that can be used for group or individual study. The comfortable couches and chairs in the lounges also help students relax while they are studying instead of the hard chairs that are commonly found in academic areas. I also think that the library is one of the best features of this school. It has a computer lab to be used solely for research that includes free printing.

The most frustrating thing about Eastern Illinois University is the parking. The parking lots for students are at least a 10 minute walk from any of the buildings (except the rec center). While the 10 minute walk is good for me and I dont mind, one is not guranteed a parking spot just because they have a parking permit. There are 12,000 students at Eastern and only six or seven parking lots, there might be enough parking for a few thousand at a time.

Faith

Find a college that fits your style. If you love city life don't attend a rural college and vice versa. Choose a college that is well known for the field you are entering. Once on campus, join organizations that center on your academic field and/or your hobbies. Find people with common interests. Freshman blues can be beat by surrounding yourself with friends and people with the same interests. Have fun! Explore!

KNow what you want to do. Don't major in something you are unsure about. Don't be afraid to change your major.

Cody

The key to finding the right college is finding the place that you feel most comfortable. Visit the schools, talk to the students, tour the campus and dorms... I urge you to really get to know each university/college you are considering. I did not visit any of the schools i applied, but I got lucky and ended up loving the school I chose, but you might not. It's much easier to find the right school the first time than to transfer half way through.

The most frustrating thing would be the lack of money given to update the residence halls. Many of the halls are out of date and need repairs. Also parking is a major issue for many.

Mitchell

Parents and students should work together in selecting the right school. I know that my parents didn't help me in choosing a school -- they barely helped me financially, but I understand they made the decision that was in their best interest. Having a school that isn't close to home might be important for the student, but what a lot of my friends have overlooked is just how expensive it is to travel home over the Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks. The parent might be worried about the financial cost of a school, but that should be a low priority. Scholorships and awards can help (but perhaps not entirely) with the cost. I recommend living on campus for at least 1, if not all 4 years. The "dorm" lifestyle helped procure my social tastes, and taught me who my real friends are. Living with a stranger actually benefited me in the long run, because I was more open to meeting new people who didn't share my every interest, or who knew all my stories from childhood. I had a whole new group of people to entertain with tales of friends, lost and found.

I wish I would have known that drinking was such a big deal on campus. I don't drink., so I feel like my social circle isn't as big as it could have been. I also wish I would have known that transfer students are treated as inconveniences to some departments, whereas students who have four years to complete their degree can better enjoy what extra-curriciular activities the school offers.

This school would best be enjoyed by people who enjoy a strong frat/sorority influence with regards to social events. To some, this might mean a person who drinks a lot, and enjoys living in the frat houses. It's not a bad school for those struggling with their High School GPA, either, as the threshold for acceptance is low for some of the colleges within the university.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.