Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

There are small classes available, which helps students get to know each other and assists the professors in getting to know students, which is helpful for me. Also, there is an honors program at EIU, which allows for small honors classes, which have been some of my favorite classes. The architecture at EIU is also remarkable. The new arts building is abstract, and the main building at EIU is beautiful. Also, EIU considers how to make graduates stand out by providing resume building clubs and organizations and promoting programs, such as study abroad.

When choosing a college, find colleges that have good programs for the major you are interested in. Don't let partying distract you from getting good grades, because there are always parties, but you only get one chance at your grade! Don't mess it up. Some people get too wrapped up in grades, however, and get really stressed and have no fun. It's important to balance fun and grades. Find a middle ground for you college lifestyle that allows for fun, but doesn't take away from your studies.

The study abroad programs available at this school are amazing, and have resulted in my studying in Australia for a semester. EIU has a lot of great qualities, but my experiences abroad were the best time of my life, and it was possible due to EIU's promotion of study abroad and the helpful people in the Office of Study Abroad. Overall, despite it's flaws, EIU has given me a lot of amazing experiences, as well as an education.

James

I don't know, just make sure you read everything. As a student, try to meet friends down their that attend the school and ask them the up's and down's. it is the only way to get a real honest idea about the school and acedemic life at your choice campus!

Its always a struggle.. kinda cheap but not really in this era for the united states, im just trying to survive. I am a smart kid but I need money so please choose me to win this scholarship. It would probably be in your best interest because i am going to make money while i'm here on earth if ya kno wut i mean baybe'

Jillian

Take your time. Ask as many questions as you can think of. Make sure you see the campus; dont be afraid to ask to see a students room. Try not to just talk to a recruiter; ask to talk to a student. Students should try and spend a day on campus. See if the school offers a shadow program, or a program where you could spend the day or an overnight with a current student. There is no wrong question to ask when looking for the right college. Think about what you want to get out of your four years, and think about what is already currently important to you. If excersize is important to you ask to see what facilities they offer, prices, hours of opperation, classes that are offered, etc. Ask to see the library, maybe even go in on your own and see how willing they are to help you find what you are looking for, or if there willing to give you a tour. You are going to be spending at least four years here, make sure you are going to be happy.The happier you are the more successful you will be!

Its not a very small campus; but everything is close together. Nothing is too far to walk to. The teachers are super understanding and almost always available to help out. And no matter what you are ontrested in or like to do; you are bound to have a great social life here.

This is a great school and atmosphere to live in. Don't be discouraged by the size of the town if you are from a big city; there is surprisingly a lot to do here. As long as you go to your classes, you will do more than fine here.

Kimberly

My advice that I would give parents and students looking for a college would be to go on college visits and take the tour. While you are there find random students, this isn't as embarrassing to the students as it sounds, and ask them what they like about the school and what they don't like. Tell them what you are looking for in a school and as them if that is what they would get if they attended that school. Random students will be completely honest because they have nothing to lose or gain from lying about the school, orientation leaders are required to tell you certain things. Also stay for a weekend and check out some resturants and drive around and see how student spend their weekends out. Check out things you are interested in to make sure those options are avalalible, i.e. grosery stores, churches, clothing stores, bars, bowling alleys, etc.

I tell my friends about my great job. I work on campus as a T.S.S. ( Team Sport Supervisor). Basically I am a supervisor for intramural sports which means I attend my shifts for each sport and check in players, train officials, make schedules for the sport I am responsible for, I take care of injuries and ejected players. I love it, I get to interact with ither students and learn how to manage my peers, as well as work with them.

For some majors the your advisor is a professor in your field of study. Sometimes the faculty is not as informed about requirements for graduation and for minors or another major you may have, so it can be difficult to figure out exactly what classes you should and need to take.

Michelle

Students are EIU are friendly and open-minded.

Students are EIU are friendly and open-minded.

I would have to tell parents to let their children chose the right school for themselves because any potential college student who is forced to attend a specific school will automatically be unsuccessful. I would tell parents to visit numerous colleges with their children so their options are broadened. I believe parents should guide their children in the right direction without pushing them a certain way. Becoming involved in college activities might seem stressful the first year, but I truly believe it is the way to make the most out of the "college experience". Joining clubs or a sorority/fraternity is a great way to meet life long friends but I believe that if potential students attend college with an open-mind, the experience will create itself.

Mike

dont pick a school based on what the parents want lets the student make their own decison it will be the first of many they will have to make on their own.

The worst thing about Eastern is the lack of school spirit, literally noone goes to the sporting events i had more people at my highschool games than i do here.

Someone who wants to go to a party school yet wants to focus on their studies as well.

Although Eastern is a small school, it is highly known for education. Most of Eastern's students are aspiring to be elementary, middle, or high school instructors. Eastern has great programs that teach its students what is expected of a great teacher. With a smaller campus, professors get to known their students on a more personal level. This helps students achieve their highest goal. Eastern's education college focuses on making teachers successful. On top of classes, there are many presentation and lesson on new technology teacher might use. This small campus is also known to be very friendly.

There are so many colleges to choose from. Before you pick a college to go to, make sure you look at all of your options. Do not pick a college based on social life. Make sure that the education programs are the one you need for your major. If you like smaller class sizes, look for smaller Universities. The smaller the classes, the more your professors will know you personally. The most important part of college is to get involoved. Pick a college that offers numerous opportunities to be invovled within the campus. Also notice the accessibility of the campus. Make sure it accessible to run to a store, or grab a meal. Personally, school spirit is a big deal to me. If you are all for school spirit, look around the campus and see if you notice school pride. The most important thing to remember about picking a campus is if it feels right to you. If your not comfortable with the campus, keep looking.

I believe this is the wrong question. Everyone should feel welcomed at a university. No one shouldn't attend Eastern Illinois University, because it has so much to offer. This school is diverse in class size, majors, and social groups. It makes students feel comfortable and feel at home. No students should feel as if they do not belong to a school. Specifically, Eastern has so much to offer its students. There are many ways to get involved socially and academically. Professors will also go out of their way to help students learn to the best of their ability.

Erin

My classmates are fun and hard working. Most are taking their education very seriously and using EIU as a stepping stone to achieve their career goals.

I would tell them to search for the school that offers a curriculum that closely matches their area of interest. Don't be deterred by the size of the school. Once the student is enrolled I strongly suggest that they become involved with extra-cirricular activities and the community. They are young adults now and need to begin building a strong foundation for their future.

A person that is focused on their goals and aspirations. EIU will give back exactly want you put into it.

Nina

Eastern Illinois is best know for the size and affordability. It is the cheapest state school, but it is still hard for students like me to afford. It is also known for its outstanding Educational department, which is why me, a future teacher, chose this school. It has gelp mold into becoming an amazing teacher for our future students.

I would tell students to chose a place where you know you will be able to feel comfortable. I understand that sometimes venturing out of your hometown is scary and uncomfortable, but you have to think of the long run. All the things you will take in from venturing out such as: trying new things and working with people who are different from you, will benifit you. It will help shape you into a better and more knowledgable person. Also, once entering college, get invovled! That was the best thing that I have ever done. I was invovled socially and academically. I met friends that I know I will keep for a lifetime. I learned things that has helped shaped me into a better teacher. I have met people who have taught me about their lives and made me more aware of how the world is. Most of all, being involved has taught me who I am and what I am capable of doing. Venturing out of my hometown and trying something new has taught me how to succeed in life by just being myself.

The amount of diversity. Eastern is located in a small central Illinois town and it really has not allowed me to experience as much diversity. However, I have been given the chance to work with diverse students during my practicum. We were positioned in inner city Champaign, IL school. There I worked with all types of race, gender, and disabilities.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.