Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Monika

My classmate are very ethnically diverse, which I am not use to. Growing up, my town was very white dominant. While many people are study and goal oriented, of course there are students who slack off and are more socially minded. We have partiers at Eastern Illinois, but we also have students that are muscially, athletically, or academically talented. There is a good mix of every kind of "stereotype", and many organizations and sports that one can get into.

I ran at Eastern Illinois University for track so I have always had something special for this school. Also, my long time boyfriend goes here (and both of his parents attended eastern and met here). It is in a rural part of Illinois, but is only 3 hours away from the city, and away from home.

My advice to parents and/or students when researching colleges and finding one that is best suited for them is to listen to your heart. Even though my Dad wanted me to go to Eastern Illinois University, I am not happy here. Not by any means am I saying that it's a bad school, but it is just not the school that I wanted to go to. I am completely paying for my college education so I should be able to attend the school that I want (DePaul University). Besides following your heart, I would advise students/parents to look at the location of the school to make sure it is something that would keep the student involved and happy, do site visits and sleep overs at the college to see if you get along with the students there, research the college to make sure they have the firld that you want to get in to and that they have the appropriate resources, and also check if the accomodate special needs and if they have organizations that the student is interested in.

Tim

First off, tell their kids to go to class and get their homework done, thats most important. Next I'd say get involved on campus because that is the best way to make friends. In picking a school, that depends on the options the student has. If the student has a lot of money to spend and good grades then they can choose where they want, but if those two options arent available then the student has to look at the available schools and choose what feels right.

Really there is room for any kind of person on this campus. I see people who are huge into sports and thats all their life is, i see people who love music and art, I see people who love extreme sports, there is room for any kind of person on this campus

when theres tons of snow on the ground and walking to class

Meghan

When regarding academics, Eastern is probably best known for its teaching program. Many great teachers in Illinois and the surrounding states have gotten their degrees from Eastern. The faculty and staff working for the teaching department is wonderful. Eastern is also well-known for being a party school. Many of the students here go out drinking more than 4 nights a week. The Greek system plays a big part in this binge drinking activity.

The school that I chose has a reputation for an excellent teaching program. I wasn't sure, but I was seriously considering a career in education. None of the other schools were known for their teaching programs. I decided on an education major, and am so glad that I chose to get my education at Eastern. I have gotten so many great experiences and learned so much information from going to school here.

I would defintely tell parents and students to do their research. Talk to current students at the university to see what campus life is REALLY like. The books and websites do not tell you everything! Also, I would keep in mind certain factors such as how far away is the college from home, is there good public transportation systems, and is there a lot of jobs available. Students should also write out their expectations for college. Parents may also want to do the same thing. When looking at colleges, the expectations list should be brought along. The college that most closely matches the expectations list should be given serious preference above the other schools.

Its is fairly small. You do not have to rely on buses to take you to and from your classes.

Pick a school that you feel in your gut is right. If there's something off about a certain school, dont go there, you won't be happy. If you have even the tiniest desire to go away to school, do it. Even if it is only for a year, do it just to see what it is like. You will be happy you did it even if you hated it. That way you took advantage of that opportunity when you had the chance.

Many social activities are based around Greek life. The greek life feels very much like high school. They think they rule the school, and I really do not like that they think they are better than everyone else just because they are in a sorority or fraternity.

Steffanie

Eastern Illinois University is a fun, friendly, and an amazing place to experience you college career.

My classmates here are nice, inviting, and always willing to help out if you need it.

I think that finding the right college is a very tedious process. My best advice would be visit as many as possible, and find the ones you were really drawn to. Make sure to apply to a couple and do not set your mind on just one in case it does not work out. Think about what kind of enviorment will suite you best, a smaller campus or a larger one. Colllege can be a wonderful experience and finding the right one will make it that much better.

Personally, the radio and newspaper programs here at EIU. That's where I spend most of my time and I enjoy it there. It is unique because we are a small town yet we still can find interesting things to report on. And you are getting real experience for out in the real world.

Don't go to college just to party and drink alcohol. You can find friends at college who don't drink -- I did, and I am so glad I am not in the partying crowd. You can still have fun without partying. And even if you think paying attention in class is boring, deal with it and your outlet can be the extra activities. Get involved with something you are interested in, especially something that involves your major. I am a journalism major and am involved with radio and newspaper. I think that is the most important thing -- get involved with things that will help you when you graduate. And don't stress that much, the weekend is never far away. Parents, don't worry if your son/daughter doesn't call you as often as you like... it's time for them to break free. You should call them, though, if you haven't heard from them in a long time. And don't worry... this is a very exciting time in your son/daughter's life!

It's small and easy to find your way around places. The people here are so friendly. There are a lot of extra activities available on campus. I love EIU!

Pick a school that has your desired major or one that you think you might be leaning towards. Don't pick a school for being a party school, take a tour and go where you feel that you could be most comfortable and a place that you can one day call home since you live here 9 months out of the year. Keep in mind that being far away from home isn't for everyone, I like the happy medium... far enough so my parents aren't here every weekend and I learned to live on my own but close enough that I can go home when I need to! Good Luck!

This school is known for its education and business programs. so those are good reasons to attend. Otherwise someone looking for a friendly fun state school.

Kelly

Eastern Illinois University is a great school that provides many opportunites that can help your future career choices.

My school is unique because there are mostly all the dormatories besides one has co-ed floors.

Find a college that is the right size for you and has a programs that you are interested. I would start off with an undecided major because your major might change over time. Start off by taking gen eds and try to pick your major by second semester or first semester freshman year. Meet friends through dorms, apartments, jobs and get involeved!

Trisha

Students really need to research a lot of different colleges that way they have lots of colleges to choose from. They need to make sure the choose the one that is best for them. They need to look at the size of the campus, size of classes , and the activities that they could possibly be involved with. Once they choose their school they need to go take a tour of it that way they can get a feel for the campus before they actually start school. Once school starts try to talk to as many people as you see during the first week. First impressions are very important, and you don't have a chance to make another one. Find out all the clubs and activities that the school offers and join as many as you can. You want to be involed with a club but make sure you are academically secure also. Your grades should come first, then your clubs, then a social life with friends. Just be yourself and don't let anyone try to convence you to do something that you don't want to be. Always be yourself, thats who you family and friends already like!

This school is good for anyone. They are ranked high in there education department and majority of the students on the campus are in the education department. Other than that there are a lot of sports players that attend the school, they get a lot of their schooling paid for since they play for the school. The school has all races and is very open to people.

Teachers are not always available to help you out when you need the help. There aren't many things to do to get to know people on the campus, especially for the transfer students. The parking is also horrible, because the staff has so many parking spots comapared to the students. We are walking really far in the rain and snow sometimes to get to class which is making us sick, which makes us unable to attend class to learn.

Keith

The historic landmarks and buildings on campus.

The historic landmarks and buildings on campus.

Making sure they have the right degree program and the student would feel comfortable by attending the prospective instiution.

A person who is really interested in attending college and who wants to earn a career after graduation.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.