Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Mike

dont pick a school based on what the parents want lets the student make their own decison it will be the first of many they will have to make on their own.

The worst thing about Eastern is the lack of school spirit, literally noone goes to the sporting events i had more people at my highschool games than i do here.

Someone who wants to go to a party school yet wants to focus on their studies as well.

Although Eastern is a small school, it is highly known for education. Most of Eastern's students are aspiring to be elementary, middle, or high school instructors. Eastern has great programs that teach its students what is expected of a great teacher. With a smaller campus, professors get to known their students on a more personal level. This helps students achieve their highest goal. Eastern's education college focuses on making teachers successful. On top of classes, there are many presentation and lesson on new technology teacher might use. This small campus is also known to be very friendly.

There are so many colleges to choose from. Before you pick a college to go to, make sure you look at all of your options. Do not pick a college based on social life. Make sure that the education programs are the one you need for your major. If you like smaller class sizes, look for smaller Universities. The smaller the classes, the more your professors will know you personally. The most important part of college is to get involoved. Pick a college that offers numerous opportunities to be invovled within the campus. Also notice the accessibility of the campus. Make sure it accessible to run to a store, or grab a meal. Personally, school spirit is a big deal to me. If you are all for school spirit, look around the campus and see if you notice school pride. The most important thing to remember about picking a campus is if it feels right to you. If your not comfortable with the campus, keep looking.

I believe this is the wrong question. Everyone should feel welcomed at a university. No one shouldn't attend Eastern Illinois University, because it has so much to offer. This school is diverse in class size, majors, and social groups. It makes students feel comfortable and feel at home. No students should feel as if they do not belong to a school. Specifically, Eastern has so much to offer its students. There are many ways to get involved socially and academically. Professors will also go out of their way to help students learn to the best of their ability.

Erin

My classmates are fun and hard working. Most are taking their education very seriously and using EIU as a stepping stone to achieve their career goals.

I would tell them to search for the school that offers a curriculum that closely matches their area of interest. Don't be deterred by the size of the school. Once the student is enrolled I strongly suggest that they become involved with extra-cirricular activities and the community. They are young adults now and need to begin building a strong foundation for their future.

A person that is focused on their goals and aspirations. EIU will give back exactly want you put into it.

Nina

Eastern Illinois is best know for the size and affordability. It is the cheapest state school, but it is still hard for students like me to afford. It is also known for its outstanding Educational department, which is why me, a future teacher, chose this school. It has gelp mold into becoming an amazing teacher for our future students.

I would tell students to chose a place where you know you will be able to feel comfortable. I understand that sometimes venturing out of your hometown is scary and uncomfortable, but you have to think of the long run. All the things you will take in from venturing out such as: trying new things and working with people who are different from you, will benifit you. It will help shape you into a better and more knowledgable person. Also, once entering college, get invovled! That was the best thing that I have ever done. I was invovled socially and academically. I met friends that I know I will keep for a lifetime. I learned things that has helped shaped me into a better teacher. I have met people who have taught me about their lives and made me more aware of how the world is. Most of all, being involved has taught me who I am and what I am capable of doing. Venturing out of my hometown and trying something new has taught me how to succeed in life by just being myself.

The amount of diversity. Eastern is located in a small central Illinois town and it really has not allowed me to experience as much diversity. However, I have been given the chance to work with diverse students during my practicum. We were positioned in inner city Champaign, IL school. There I worked with all types of race, gender, and disabilities.

Monika

My classmate are very ethnically diverse, which I am not use to. Growing up, my town was very white dominant. While many people are study and goal oriented, of course there are students who slack off and are more socially minded. We have partiers at Eastern Illinois, but we also have students that are muscially, athletically, or academically talented. There is a good mix of every kind of "stereotype", and many organizations and sports that one can get into.

I ran at Eastern Illinois University for track so I have always had something special for this school. Also, my long time boyfriend goes here (and both of his parents attended eastern and met here). It is in a rural part of Illinois, but is only 3 hours away from the city, and away from home.

My advice to parents and/or students when researching colleges and finding one that is best suited for them is to listen to your heart. Even though my Dad wanted me to go to Eastern Illinois University, I am not happy here. Not by any means am I saying that it's a bad school, but it is just not the school that I wanted to go to. I am completely paying for my college education so I should be able to attend the school that I want (DePaul University). Besides following your heart, I would advise students/parents to look at the location of the school to make sure it is something that would keep the student involved and happy, do site visits and sleep overs at the college to see if you get along with the students there, research the college to make sure they have the firld that you want to get in to and that they have the appropriate resources, and also check if the accomodate special needs and if they have organizations that the student is interested in.

Tim

First off, tell their kids to go to class and get their homework done, thats most important. Next I'd say get involved on campus because that is the best way to make friends. In picking a school, that depends on the options the student has. If the student has a lot of money to spend and good grades then they can choose where they want, but if those two options arent available then the student has to look at the available schools and choose what feels right.

Really there is room for any kind of person on this campus. I see people who are huge into sports and thats all their life is, i see people who love music and art, I see people who love extreme sports, there is room for any kind of person on this campus

when theres tons of snow on the ground and walking to class

Meghan

When regarding academics, Eastern is probably best known for its teaching program. Many great teachers in Illinois and the surrounding states have gotten their degrees from Eastern. The faculty and staff working for the teaching department is wonderful. Eastern is also well-known for being a party school. Many of the students here go out drinking more than 4 nights a week. The Greek system plays a big part in this binge drinking activity.

The school that I chose has a reputation for an excellent teaching program. I wasn't sure, but I was seriously considering a career in education. None of the other schools were known for their teaching programs. I decided on an education major, and am so glad that I chose to get my education at Eastern. I have gotten so many great experiences and learned so much information from going to school here.

I would defintely tell parents and students to do their research. Talk to current students at the university to see what campus life is REALLY like. The books and websites do not tell you everything! Also, I would keep in mind certain factors such as how far away is the college from home, is there good public transportation systems, and is there a lot of jobs available. Students should also write out their expectations for college. Parents may also want to do the same thing. When looking at colleges, the expectations list should be brought along. The college that most closely matches the expectations list should be given serious preference above the other schools.

Its is fairly small. You do not have to rely on buses to take you to and from your classes.

Pick a school that you feel in your gut is right. If there's something off about a certain school, dont go there, you won't be happy. If you have even the tiniest desire to go away to school, do it. Even if it is only for a year, do it just to see what it is like. You will be happy you did it even if you hated it. That way you took advantage of that opportunity when you had the chance.

Many social activities are based around Greek life. The greek life feels very much like high school. They think they rule the school, and I really do not like that they think they are better than everyone else just because they are in a sorority or fraternity.

Steffanie

Eastern Illinois University is a fun, friendly, and an amazing place to experience you college career.

My classmates here are nice, inviting, and always willing to help out if you need it.

I think that finding the right college is a very tedious process. My best advice would be visit as many as possible, and find the ones you were really drawn to. Make sure to apply to a couple and do not set your mind on just one in case it does not work out. Think about what kind of enviorment will suite you best, a smaller campus or a larger one. Colllege can be a wonderful experience and finding the right one will make it that much better.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.