Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Cara
E-I-E-I-EIU

E-I-E-I-EIU

Eastern Illinois University is a state school with a small-school atmosphere. On any given day, I saw friends and acquaintances on my walks to class. Attending EIU really helped me understand what it meant to be a part of something bigger than myself, which can be attributed to the strong sense of community on campus. The strong sense of community was also felt in the residence halls, where I met my forever friends. The multitude of campus activities and organizations grants the opportunity for students to establish a presence on campus. The small class sizes and personable faculty facilitate strong connections between professors and students; making these connections with professors is vital for individuals pursuing graduate school or any careers that require letters of recommendation or professional references. Attending EIU was the best decision of my life. I really evolved as a person, broadened my academic and social horizons, and found my home-away-from-home. Additionally, with the help of fantastic professors and academic advisors, I discovered my true passion of working with K-12 students and found a graduate program within the same school that fit my needs for continuing my education. Regardless of how utterly cliche I may sound, I can honestly say, "I am EIU," and I bleed blue.

I believe the university is known for its charisma. The campus has personality. The first building that can be seen from the street is a magnificent castle which only adds to the character. For the majority, Eastern's faculty is dedicated to student's well being and academic growth. Eastern takes pride in welcoming students to ensure their comfort in acheiving academic success.

Dear Megan, I know you think life is tough, but don’t worry! Everything will soon get much harder. “When the going gets tough, the tough get going” will become your mantra in college as soon as you figure how to “get going” you’ll love it! Speaking of love, wearing your heart on your sleeve isn’t a bad thing; however, don’t give it to the first person who notices you. He does not appreciate your worth like he claims. There is a man that sees the best in you and he’s just as excited to meet you as you are to meet him, so don’t be afraid of becoming the stereotypical crazy single lady with twenty cats. Keep an understanding perspective when it comes to your best friends. Eventually, all of you will branch apart and form bonds with other people and before you know it, you’re strangers. Remember it is no one’s fault, priorities, and people, change after high school. Never worry about having regrets. You’ll work too hard and have too little time to fathom the concept of regret. Welcome change. Life would be boring without it. Love, Your Self

A person that is accustomed to living in a small town and would like to gradually immerse themselves should attend this school. Another important factor to think about is what they are most looking forward to doing while in school. This school is fo someone who plans to spend the majority of their free time studying and focusing on school work. It is common for Chicagoans to complain about the boring nightlife of Charleston. In a part time job is required, a long commute would need to be considered as there aren't many college student friendly businesses in Charleston.

I would tell senior year Lauren that even though people seem to be your best friend now, does not mean they will be in a year or two. Senior year, I lost one of closest friends to rekindle a friendship with my "best friend." The close friend left me due to not liking the other girl and we started to hate each other. At the time, I did not care because I thought my best firend and I would be friends forever. That changed one night, she told me she did not want to be my friend anymore and that I was a horrible person. I was devested. I went and talked to the close friend again and rekindled our friendship and we stayed friends and kept the past in the past. I am glad because just a few days ago, that close friend passed away in a tragic accident. I regret leaving her for my suposed "best friend", but we rekindled our friendship and everything was great when she passed away. Senior year Lauren needs to know though only a handful of high school friends will stay in her life, and they are the people she will least expect.

There is nothing I would change about my knowledge of Eastern before I attended. I did a lot of research on my own. Also, coming to open houses and different activities offered for intrested students, incoming freshman, and current freshmnan help expand my knowledge of the school I was attending .

The worst thing about this school is lower resources compared to other schools in the state. We are one of the cheapest universities. This means that we do not get as many resources because of our cheap rates and low enrollment. If some of the resources, like wifi, salt for the snow, and more technology, would be nice!

emily

EIU is a great school and it feels like my second home.

EIU is a great school and it feels like my second home.

I would tell my high school self to not care so much about what people think of me and to not give into the drama. My time in high school was drama filled and I cared way too much about what people thought of me. I hated my four ears of high school because I was constantly dealing with drama. I would also tell high school self to have a better social life. I was a competative dancer so I didn't have much time to do things other than dance. I regret not having much time to spend with my friends.

I wish I had known that there is nothing fun to do in town

Natalie

It was a wonderful school where many life long relationships were developed. Because the university was small by many standards, students and faculity alike functioned more as a family. There were always people available to assist in any capacity to ensure that ndividual dreams were fulfilled. In short, Eastern was a school that promoted academic excellence, character development, cultural diversity and family values.

The type of student that should attend Eastern IL University needs to be self directed, goal oriented and able to relate to people from diverse backgrounds. They should be a student who recognizes the value of a quality education. They should be able to share their beliefs for the purpose of motivating and assisting their fellow students in becoming their very best..

Classmates become more than classmates: they become friends and family.

Classmates become more than classmates: they become friends and family.

When graduating high school, it seems like nothing could top those four years that you spent with your "best friends". You feel like you've really grown up and become your own person, but don't let that attitude keep you from really experiencing college. High school is great, and you will always be able to come home and relive those memories, but college is when you fully learn who you are. You learn what it is like to live on your own and resolve problems on your own without your parents, and where you will meet your true best friends. Your best friends becomes the people you literally spend every waking and sleeping moment with, and who all live within walking distance. When you go to college, go with an open mind, willing to learn new things, meet new people, and broaden your horizons. If you go in with a closed mind, you're going to miss out and regret so much. Open up and welcome new experiences, because the four years you spend in college are the four years that you're seriously going to look back on and wonder how you let slip past you so quickly.

The sense of community at Eastern is amazing. It is small enough where when walking around, you always see people you know and say hi, but it is big enough where you still meet new people and make new friends every semester. My time at EIU was the best four years of my life.

Patrick

The idea of going back in time to talk to my previous self is a thought that I have entertained many a time through my adult life. When I was 18 I was in a whirlwind and completely unprepared for what was going to happen in my life, more worried about playing sports than truly pondering my future education. I would tell myself never to give up something until you complete it; because I gave up on basketball halfway through my freshman year of college even though I had been awarded a full scholarship to play. The other thing I would tell myself is to maintain your present relationships but not to let a current romantic relationship make decisions that are so life altering so early in life. This girlfriend is not worth sacrificing your collegiate life over. Finally I would tell myself to really buckle down on your grades, I am currently digging myself out of the hole I put myself in when I was 19 years old. Focus get it done right the first time, never give up, and never let someone else dictate your life. The most important being NEVER GIVE UP or you live with regret!

The best thing is the atmosphere and the people

Someon who is not open minded and does not want to succeed in their future. It is a wonderful campus that is supportive and helpful to all people in my limited experience. It is a small town with a big school and is neither too big or too small.

james

They all say hind sight is 20/20, and boy is it. I would most defintaly have a long drawn out conversation with myself. I may have to yell because chances are my former self would not be listening. A few quick notes would be stay awake!, take things more seriously you have the rest of your life to have fun which is much easier to do with a career that enjoy instead of a job that you despise. Dont be afraid to presue a career in something that you enjoy despite of backlash from your peers. there is another old cliche that sounds corny but may be true "find a job you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life". While this may sound like a strecth you may never know if you dont go for it. And lastly i know a few more years of school now seem daunting and like a slow form of torture it will be much easier now than ten years down the road. Get through the "hard" times now and you can spend the rest of your life with a smile on your face and no regrets in your mind.

Bridget

"Bridget, this is you 4 years later. There are some things you need to know before you embark on this journey". What would the wise self tell my 18 year -old self? I would tell myself 3 things. Advice number one: get an internship. The fact that I had no real experience after I graduated really affected me when it came time to find a job. Make sure you get as much internship experience as you can! It sounds so simple but yet so immensly important. Advice number two: don't forget about your family and friends. I really strained some of my most important familial relationships thanks to selfish perspective I had in college. Yes, college is about you and your education but do not act surprised when your those relationshiops have turned distant and cold. Future self advice number three: college will be the best time of you life. Do not start the countdown to graduation. Believe it or not, your college years will be filled with one worry: grades. Post-graduation your worries will include everything from job performance stress to learning how to file taxes. Enjoy the best time of your life!

The small, friendly campus. This school offered the small class size so students and professors really know eachother.

That huge schools wasn't a better choice. I spent alot of my time wishing I had gone to a bigger school until I actually visited a big campus.

elizabeth

My classmates @ Eastern were friendly, knowedgeable and creative.

My classmates @ Eastern were friendly, knowedgeable and creative.

I would give my self the advice of allowing the myself to first enjoy high school and the time I had there. Then I would say tell myself that I need to relax and not worry about my grades as much. I would tell myself that everything is going to be okay and I will have a future once I graduate from this college. Also, I would tell myself not to choose the major I did @ Eastern becuase even though it was easy, it did not lead me anywhere after I graduated. I would allow myself to also choose a major such social work with a B.A. I would also give myself the advice of trying to get to know more people @ Lincoln and Eastern. I feel that I did not broaden myself enough while I was there.

I attended Eastern Illinois University for only two years because I tranfered into to EIU from Lincoln IL where that was a two year school. Eastern Illinois University is a great school because not only is it a small enough campus not to get lost in but the people are so nice. I am so glad I chose Eastern because of the small class size, my major (Health Studies) and how nice the people are. I really wish I would have got there all 4 years. I really enjoyed my time @ Eastern because of the activites and concerts.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.