Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Sara

The students at EIU are very laid-back. A bunch of students love going to class in sweatpants and sweatshirts, while some (like me) go to class in jeans and a t-shirt. Students generally are very open to the differences in others--including religious affiliations, sexual orientations, ethnic backgrounds, genders, etc. Different types of students truly do interact whether in class or out of class. Most students are from Chicago, the suburbs of Chicago, or small towns from Central Illinois. The most prevalent financial background is lower middle class. Most students require financial aid from the government. There are a bunch of international students also. They have the most difficulty adjusting to our campus due to the fact that our school is very close-knit. The professors and students have close relationships, and the professors truly want to see their students succeed. The reason why the international students would have some difficulty adjusting is because of the cultural and/or language differences. Besides that, I do not see any group of individuals that would feel out of place or uncomfortable. Everyone is generally kind, helpful, and understanding of differences. This is another reason why I truly do love this campus!

Some common stereotypes of the students at EIU are: -The jocks party all of the time, -The frats party wildly, -The band nerds think they are hot stuff, -The sorority girls are promiscuous, -The upperclassmen do not live on-campus, -The stoners all get away consequence-free. All of these stereotypes are false. The jocks do party at times, but they do value their education. They truly are positive role models on campus. The frats do party a lot, but their main focus is on service. The band members on campus do think they are hot stuff because they are hot stuff! They are some of the most popular students on campus. There are sorority girls that are promiscuous, but most are not. A lot of upperclassmen do live in apartments either owned by the school or really close to the campus. There are a lot of upperclassmen that do enjoy living on campus, like myself. It is so convenient for all students to live on campus because all of the necessities (food, classes) are in close proximity to the dorms. Lastly, the stoners do get consequences. I have read about the citations in the campus newspaper plenty of times!

I would start with pay attention your senior year. Slacking in your high schools years may not seem bad while you'r doing it but if i can take it all back now I would pay more attention then I ever did. Also going into college your teachers dont force you to do your classwork nor homework. You do it if you want to and if you dont you get a zero, no excuses. If you want to be in class you go to class, if not its your choice. Your teacher is no longer your baby sitter, you are now entering a different world were you learn how to be an adult and do things on your own. A very exciting expirience if you ask me!

I would tell myself this: don't worry so much about fitting in! Little did my seventeen-year-old self know, one of the hardest things I would have to face in college was not the difficult workload but learning to fit into the social dynamics of a school attended mostly by people from Chicago or small-town Illinois who had their own culture and way of doing things; being from a DoDDS school in South Korea, I was used to bumping elbows with people from a diverse variety of backgrounds and was unprepared for being excluded by some groups of people because I am "just not from around here," as a friend of mine put it, and did not grow up with the same social customs as many people from this school have. Being different is fine, but being excluded because of your differences is hard. I would assure myself that all was not lost, that it is a fact of life that I won't jibe with everyone and that sooner or later, I would find people with whom I fit in, a group in which I would find myself as comfortable as an egg in its shell.

I wish I'd known how Greek-oriented the social scene is.

Those looking for much academic rigor. I can't speak for all of the departments, but it seems that compared to many schools, our workloads are relatively light. There's not much competition amongst students to be the best academically.

emily

The security is very tight and I felt very safe. I love Eastern Illinois University!!!! It is large enough so it has a number of activities to be involved in, yet it is small enough so you do not feel lost in the shuffle.

krysten

I would tell myself, that I really need focus on which college would have benefited myself. And not just stay in town because of a boy, that I had to do whats best for me. And also had better resources and scholarships.

Michelle

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is really a means to an end. I would tell myself to work harder because it doesn’t get any easier. To better my study habits and to start looking for scholarships sooner. Because, I do know one thing; although it does factor in, finding a way to finance your education is no harder than getting accepted into a good university. I wish I had known it was gonna be hard to really be able to pay for the rest of your life. If you go to college and study a for a good career, although its not guaranteed, you will get a better job with better pay to fully secure the rest of your life. You have greater options at hand to decide where you want to be in life and not just where you got stuck being because you didn’t desire to put the time in to study a little more and get a college degree.

Camille

I would tell myself that staying fit and active in organizations are two of the most critical components while enrolled in college. Whether you are involved in different activities in school such as sports, clubs, or organizations, staying on your feet keeps the stress off and makes school more enjoyable. This is important because if you're eating right, staying involved, and getting an appropriate amount of rest, believe it or not, it does affect your grades greatly. If you practice healthy habits as a senior, you are likely to carry these good habits with you into college. Your body and brain need well balanced structure in order to function properly. A healthy lifestyle is important in school so that you will have more energy and be focused during lectures. By maintaining a healthy lifestyle in school, you will have the stamina and the energy to perform all your activities throughout the day without falling asleep. Also, make sure you set goals for yourself transitioning into college. By setting goals, this gives you something to look forward to and a sense of accomplishment when you complete these goals. Keep a strong head on your shoulders and you will excel.

If you like to be surrounded by a large crowd and like a noisy environment, then you should not attend this school. EIU is a small, quiet town with a population of 21,039. There are limited restaurants and shopping areas as well, but if you are ok with that, EIU could potentially be the college for you.

I really love how there are over 200 recognized student organizations on campus. There is a club that fits almost everyones personality and sparks their interest. You can even start an organizations of your own as long as you have 10 members and a constitution. EIU offers an abundant amount of diverse organizations that fits the needs of nearly all the students.

Eastern Illinois University is best known for being the second largest producer of teachers in the Education Field. This is very important because we need more teachers, with Elementary Education being my major Eastern was my dream school. Although the location isn't very eye catching the school has a lot to offer and not just for Education majors. Our Education programs are very well put together and career oriented. The department is always willing to help and open doors for you when you graduate.

If I were able to go back and give myself any advice for transitioning into college I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time. Time management plays a big part anywhere but especially in college. I did not have the best time management in high school and that carried over into college. My first semester was smooth because I was still getting adjusted to the college life and the campus. However second semester was when I began to get involved and my priorities got mixed up. On our campus we have a service where you meet with someone and they can help you fill out a weekly schedule where you put down everything that you do on a chart and you can see it all at once. This has helped me so much with balancing classes, homework, meetings, and even my sleep schedule. When students get to college they may become overwhelemed with their newfound freedom, so this service is very helpful for anyone at any stage in their college life.

I wish that I had known more about the location. It is not conviently placed for a college, in my opinoin. However that is also a benefit because it keeps the students focused on school and working. The town is small and everyone knows everyone, it makes you feel at home; which is nice considering you are away from your parents.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.