Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Classmates become more than classmates: they become friends and family.

Classmates become more than classmates: they become friends and family.

When graduating high school, it seems like nothing could top those four years that you spent with your "best friends". You feel like you've really grown up and become your own person, but don't let that attitude keep you from really experiencing college. High school is great, and you will always be able to come home and relive those memories, but college is when you fully learn who you are. You learn what it is like to live on your own and resolve problems on your own without your parents, and where you will meet your true best friends. Your best friends becomes the people you literally spend every waking and sleeping moment with, and who all live within walking distance. When you go to college, go with an open mind, willing to learn new things, meet new people, and broaden your horizons. If you go in with a closed mind, you're going to miss out and regret so much. Open up and welcome new experiences, because the four years you spend in college are the four years that you're seriously going to look back on and wonder how you let slip past you so quickly.

The sense of community at Eastern is amazing. It is small enough where when walking around, you always see people you know and say hi, but it is big enough where you still meet new people and make new friends every semester. My time at EIU was the best four years of my life.

Patrick

The idea of going back in time to talk to my previous self is a thought that I have entertained many a time through my adult life. When I was 18 I was in a whirlwind and completely unprepared for what was going to happen in my life, more worried about playing sports than truly pondering my future education. I would tell myself never to give up something until you complete it; because I gave up on basketball halfway through my freshman year of college even though I had been awarded a full scholarship to play. The other thing I would tell myself is to maintain your present relationships but not to let a current romantic relationship make decisions that are so life altering so early in life. This girlfriend is not worth sacrificing your collegiate life over. Finally I would tell myself to really buckle down on your grades, I am currently digging myself out of the hole I put myself in when I was 19 years old. Focus get it done right the first time, never give up, and never let someone else dictate your life. The most important being NEVER GIVE UP or you live with regret!

The best thing is the atmosphere and the people

Someon who is not open minded and does not want to succeed in their future. It is a wonderful campus that is supportive and helpful to all people in my limited experience. It is a small town with a big school and is neither too big or too small.

james

They all say hind sight is 20/20, and boy is it. I would most defintaly have a long drawn out conversation with myself. I may have to yell because chances are my former self would not be listening. A few quick notes would be stay awake!, take things more seriously you have the rest of your life to have fun which is much easier to do with a career that enjoy instead of a job that you despise. Dont be afraid to presue a career in something that you enjoy despite of backlash from your peers. there is another old cliche that sounds corny but may be true "find a job you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life". While this may sound like a strecth you may never know if you dont go for it. And lastly i know a few more years of school now seem daunting and like a slow form of torture it will be much easier now than ten years down the road. Get through the "hard" times now and you can spend the rest of your life with a smile on your face and no regrets in your mind.

Bridget

"Bridget, this is you 4 years later. There are some things you need to know before you embark on this journey". What would the wise self tell my 18 year -old self? I would tell myself 3 things. Advice number one: get an internship. The fact that I had no real experience after I graduated really affected me when it came time to find a job. Make sure you get as much internship experience as you can! It sounds so simple but yet so immensly important. Advice number two: don't forget about your family and friends. I really strained some of my most important familial relationships thanks to selfish perspective I had in college. Yes, college is about you and your education but do not act surprised when your those relationshiops have turned distant and cold. Future self advice number three: college will be the best time of you life. Do not start the countdown to graduation. Believe it or not, your college years will be filled with one worry: grades. Post-graduation your worries will include everything from job performance stress to learning how to file taxes. Enjoy the best time of your life!

The small, friendly campus. This school offered the small class size so students and professors really know eachother.

That huge schools wasn't a better choice. I spent alot of my time wishing I had gone to a bigger school until I actually visited a big campus.

elizabeth

My classmates @ Eastern were friendly, knowedgeable and creative.

My classmates @ Eastern were friendly, knowedgeable and creative.

I would give my self the advice of allowing the myself to first enjoy high school and the time I had there. Then I would say tell myself that I need to relax and not worry about my grades as much. I would tell myself that everything is going to be okay and I will have a future once I graduate from this college. Also, I would tell myself not to choose the major I did @ Eastern becuase even though it was easy, it did not lead me anywhere after I graduated. I would allow myself to also choose a major such social work with a B.A. I would also give myself the advice of trying to get to know more people @ Lincoln and Eastern. I feel that I did not broaden myself enough while I was there.

I attended Eastern Illinois University for only two years because I tranfered into to EIU from Lincoln IL where that was a two year school. Eastern Illinois University is a great school because not only is it a small enough campus not to get lost in but the people are so nice. I am so glad I chose Eastern because of the small class size, my major (Health Studies) and how nice the people are. I really wish I would have got there all 4 years. I really enjoyed my time @ Eastern because of the activites and concerts.

Sara

The students at EIU are very laid-back. A bunch of students love going to class in sweatpants and sweatshirts, while some (like me) go to class in jeans and a t-shirt. Students generally are very open to the differences in others--including religious affiliations, sexual orientations, ethnic backgrounds, genders, etc. Different types of students truly do interact whether in class or out of class. Most students are from Chicago, the suburbs of Chicago, or small towns from Central Illinois. The most prevalent financial background is lower middle class. Most students require financial aid from the government. There are a bunch of international students also. They have the most difficulty adjusting to our campus due to the fact that our school is very close-knit. The professors and students have close relationships, and the professors truly want to see their students succeed. The reason why the international students would have some difficulty adjusting is because of the cultural and/or language differences. Besides that, I do not see any group of individuals that would feel out of place or uncomfortable. Everyone is generally kind, helpful, and understanding of differences. This is another reason why I truly do love this campus!

Some common stereotypes of the students at EIU are: -The jocks party all of the time, -The frats party wildly, -The band nerds think they are hot stuff, -The sorority girls are promiscuous, -The upperclassmen do not live on-campus, -The stoners all get away consequence-free. All of these stereotypes are false. The jocks do party at times, but they do value their education. They truly are positive role models on campus. The frats do party a lot, but their main focus is on service. The band members on campus do think they are hot stuff because they are hot stuff! They are some of the most popular students on campus. There are sorority girls that are promiscuous, but most are not. A lot of upperclassmen do live in apartments either owned by the school or really close to the campus. There are a lot of upperclassmen that do enjoy living on campus, like myself. It is so convenient for all students to live on campus because all of the necessities (food, classes) are in close proximity to the dorms. Lastly, the stoners do get consequences. I have read about the citations in the campus newspaper plenty of times!

I would start with pay attention your senior year. Slacking in your high schools years may not seem bad while you'r doing it but if i can take it all back now I would pay more attention then I ever did. Also going into college your teachers dont force you to do your classwork nor homework. You do it if you want to and if you dont you get a zero, no excuses. If you want to be in class you go to class, if not its your choice. Your teacher is no longer your baby sitter, you are now entering a different world were you learn how to be an adult and do things on your own. A very exciting expirience if you ask me!

I would tell myself this: don't worry so much about fitting in! Little did my seventeen-year-old self know, one of the hardest things I would have to face in college was not the difficult workload but learning to fit into the social dynamics of a school attended mostly by people from Chicago or small-town Illinois who had their own culture and way of doing things; being from a DoDDS school in South Korea, I was used to bumping elbows with people from a diverse variety of backgrounds and was unprepared for being excluded by some groups of people because I am "just not from around here," as a friend of mine put it, and did not grow up with the same social customs as many people from this school have. Being different is fine, but being excluded because of your differences is hard. I would assure myself that all was not lost, that it is a fact of life that I won't jibe with everyone and that sooner or later, I would find people with whom I fit in, a group in which I would find myself as comfortable as an egg in its shell.

I wish I'd known how Greek-oriented the social scene is.

Those looking for much academic rigor. I can't speak for all of the departments, but it seems that compared to many schools, our workloads are relatively light. There's not much competition amongst students to be the best academically.

emily

The security is very tight and I felt very safe. I love Eastern Illinois University!!!! It is large enough so it has a number of activities to be involved in, yet it is small enough so you do not feel lost in the shuffle.

krysten

I would tell myself, that I really need focus on which college would have benefited myself. And not just stay in town because of a boy, that I had to do whats best for me. And also had better resources and scholarships.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.