Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Eastern Illinois University is best known for being the second largest producer of teachers in the Education Field. This is very important because we need more teachers, with Elementary Education being my major Eastern was my dream school. Although the location isn't very eye catching the school has a lot to offer and not just for Education majors. Our Education programs are very well put together and career oriented. The department is always willing to help and open doors for you when you graduate.

If I were able to go back and give myself any advice for transitioning into college I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time. Time management plays a big part anywhere but especially in college. I did not have the best time management in high school and that carried over into college. My first semester was smooth because I was still getting adjusted to the college life and the campus. However second semester was when I began to get involved and my priorities got mixed up. On our campus we have a service where you meet with someone and they can help you fill out a weekly schedule where you put down everything that you do on a chart and you can see it all at once. This has helped me so much with balancing classes, homework, meetings, and even my sleep schedule. When students get to college they may become overwhelemed with their newfound freedom, so this service is very helpful for anyone at any stage in their college life.

I wish that I had known more about the location. It is not conviently placed for a college, in my opinoin. However that is also a benefit because it keeps the students focused on school and working. The town is small and everyone knows everyone, it makes you feel at home; which is nice considering you are away from your parents.

Katherine

If I could give myself on word of advice on college and the transition, I would probably tell myself to relax and just breathe. The first couple of weeks are going to be rough but as soon as you make friends inside and outside of your classes college will be the best time of your life. I would make sure I understand that I have to work hard senior year in order to recieve scholarships to help pay for my education. I am paying for college on my own and even though times are rough I have really been able to appreciate my education much more than I ever had before. I know I was scared being a senior and I thought I was on top of the world. I definetly had a reality check when I left home but if I could go back and tell myself this I know I would have a better college experience.

The worst thing about Eastern Illinois University would probably have to be the dorms. The dorms are old, gross, and are really in need with some TLC. I also do not like how the dorms are not coed oreintated. I have experienced that I learn better through interacting with both sexes. I am able to view things much differently and have a better understanding. I am a transfer student and it has been really hard for me to meet knew people because eastern put me in a freshman dorm. I would prefer to be with people my own age.

A person who enjoys to big towns with lots to do should not attend Eastern Illinois University. The school is located in a very small town where the biggest store there is walmart. THere is absolutely nothing to do in town except to go to the bars which is only permitted for 21 year olds. There is nothing for students under age to do on the weekends.

Markie

I will not be a senior till next year, but if I could go back and talk to myself as a freshman and sophmore I would have changed one thing and that would have been my focus on my grades. I could have done so much better than I did but I just wasnt thinking about my future. But this year I am doing alot better with my grades.

Seanique

If I knew then what I know now I would have gone into the medical field and the Navy. I would have been able to not only travel but opened my mind up to different learning experiences while still young.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself this: aspire to do what makes you happy, not what others expect you to do. Do more of the volunteer-activities you wanted to do all along, don't worry about leading the newspaper so much--that was a good leadership experience for you, but it's not something you wanted to do, it's something others made you fall in to. Never stop trying, everything is going to work out in the long run, and the things you are doing now are all going to add up in the long run. Those long after school tutoring sessions seem pointless but they are actually going to lead you to want to become a teacher. The dual-credit and AP classes are all going to be worth something. Everything you are doing now is worth it, just change your attitude. College may seem expensive from where you're at but people are going to help you along the way. People believe in you, just don't forget to believe in yourself.

There are a wide range of extracirricular activities and volunteer programs available to students. From the long list of soroities, fraternities to the wide variety of on-campus churches clubs, and on-campus resident activities, it is impossible to get bored here. There are great programs for aspiring educators, journalists, and several other majors. Even on the first day students move in, Eastern provides a multitude of activities and doesn't stop encouraging students to get involved.

Most students would agree that the most frustrating thing about Eastern is the Financial Aid Office. Students looking for assistance with their financial aid find it difficult to recieve answers and personal assistance from this office. Eastern's Financial Aid Office is different in that everything is done via internet; statements are not billed to parents, guardians, and/or students. While an online financial aid system might sound efficient, most students would agree that the system is difficult to navigate and submit information. Another thing that factors into student's difficulties is the office's lack of assistants.

Jordan

I would tell myself to go out and try new school activities, such as the clubs. Clubs are good for your resume and for making new friends. I didn't try out for any of the clubs and now I joined two and I am having so much fun.

All of the partying that goes on during the weekends. I'm not one to party where there is alcohol involved, but I have better things to do with my time without getting wasted and regret it in the morning. I also don't like the showers in the dorm buildins, but who does. We have to wear our flip flops to shower and who wants that.

A student that wants to end up in a good career after s they finish school. Also a person that likes to have fun, not only to go to parties, but to do all the little things that this university has to offer. This university offers a lot of activities that are free, such as movies, tshirts, and all sorts of games.

maria

I believe it is Education.

I believe it is Education.

I would tell myself to stay one extra semester and get my teaching certificate. Going back to school at 40 with three kids is a challenge, to say the least.

I very much enjoyed EIU, and cannot say anything bad about it.

Alexandra

Visit every college you are considering. Decide if you want to go to a small or large school. Does your college have your interests? What is there to do in town?

I think everyone should give this school a chance. There is something for everyone.

Thamar

When I first walked into my first class at college, I was completely in utter shock. I had no idea what was in store for me for my college experience. The rules were different, the tests were much harder, and I was basically on my own. No one was there to hold my hand anymore. What I got out of my college experience was that I was forced to grow up. There was no time to play around and I had to take school very seriously. I had to make that transition from a high school student to a college student in a quick amount of time. Even though I do like to have fun and enjoy myself with my friends, school has to come first. Once that is taken care of, I was free to do whatever came my way. So in forcing myself to grow up and take responsibilities for myself is what I have quickly adapted to in college. College is very valuable to attend because my success in college determines what my future looks like. If I would like a good career in the future, my goal is to finish college and obtain a degree(s).

Thomas

College has always been an unfathomed goal of mine since I started school. In my family, I am the only one that even considered the thought of college. My parents always praised my academic progress, but never intervened to help me make the transition from high school to college. As a result, I've become independent and confident that every college experience I have is because of my hard work. These experiences, from attending my community college to attending Central Washington University, have given my thousand life lessons and tought me what I didn't know about myself. These experiences have shaped my life to make me more self-dependent and understand why I think the way I do. This is more valuable to me than any possession or even any lesson I learn at college. If I can't learn to understand myself and who I'm about, than any future I have would be a wasted one. That's why I have to continue to attend college. To discover more about myself thereby ensuring an understanding of where I'm going.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.