Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Jordan

I would tell myself to go out and try new school activities, such as the clubs. Clubs are good for your resume and for making new friends. I didn't try out for any of the clubs and now I joined two and I am having so much fun.

All of the partying that goes on during the weekends. I'm not one to party where there is alcohol involved, but I have better things to do with my time without getting wasted and regret it in the morning. I also don't like the showers in the dorm buildins, but who does. We have to wear our flip flops to shower and who wants that.

A student that wants to end up in a good career after s they finish school. Also a person that likes to have fun, not only to go to parties, but to do all the little things that this university has to offer. This university offers a lot of activities that are free, such as movies, tshirts, and all sorts of games.

maria

I believe it is Education.

I believe it is Education.

I would tell myself to stay one extra semester and get my teaching certificate. Going back to school at 40 with three kids is a challenge, to say the least.

I very much enjoyed EIU, and cannot say anything bad about it.

Alexandra

Visit every college you are considering. Decide if you want to go to a small or large school. Does your college have your interests? What is there to do in town?

I think everyone should give this school a chance. There is something for everyone.

Thamar

When I first walked into my first class at college, I was completely in utter shock. I had no idea what was in store for me for my college experience. The rules were different, the tests were much harder, and I was basically on my own. No one was there to hold my hand anymore. What I got out of my college experience was that I was forced to grow up. There was no time to play around and I had to take school very seriously. I had to make that transition from a high school student to a college student in a quick amount of time. Even though I do like to have fun and enjoy myself with my friends, school has to come first. Once that is taken care of, I was free to do whatever came my way. So in forcing myself to grow up and take responsibilities for myself is what I have quickly adapted to in college. College is very valuable to attend because my success in college determines what my future looks like. If I would like a good career in the future, my goal is to finish college and obtain a degree(s).

Thomas

College has always been an unfathomed goal of mine since I started school. In my family, I am the only one that even considered the thought of college. My parents always praised my academic progress, but never intervened to help me make the transition from high school to college. As a result, I've become independent and confident that every college experience I have is because of my hard work. These experiences, from attending my community college to attending Central Washington University, have given my thousand life lessons and tought me what I didn't know about myself. These experiences have shaped my life to make me more self-dependent and understand why I think the way I do. This is more valuable to me than any possession or even any lesson I learn at college. If I can't learn to understand myself and who I'm about, than any future I have would be a wasted one. That's why I have to continue to attend college. To discover more about myself thereby ensuring an understanding of where I'm going.

nayibe

I believe that the college experience is important because all of us need the education to be able to be somebody. Also, it shows you that you have to work really hard to be able to get your degree. I t is valuable to attend becuase if the person really wants the profession they apply to the college and university experience shows you that we have to study for ourselves not for anybody else.

Nicholas

Eastern is heavily greek oriented. Anyone who attends Eastern should consider joining greek life.

The greatest thing that I have taken from my college experience is a better understanding of who I am as a person and what I want to do with the rest of my life. Through a series of trial and error, I have discovered my greatest passions and interests and have grasped a fundamental purpose for myself within society as a whole. I have also made strong friendships with people that I might have never known had I not attended Eastern, and expect that these friendships will be lifelong. These friendships that I have made are truly valuable because they have helped strengthen my own character as well as allowed me to grow as an individual.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience even though I have only attended college for one semester. I love that you get to pick what you love to do, then pick classes that revolve around that. It makes the classes so much more rewarding and you as a student so much more involved. Also there is so many oppurtunites to do so much. There are intermeral sports, greek life, academic clubs, and dorm activities at least once week. With all these options, come so many oppurtunities to meet people. I have met so many people while being in college, and am so happy with the decision that I have made to go away.

I consider the best thing about Eastern Illinois is the teacher student ratio. The classrooms at Eastern are probably very similar to a students highschool classroom size. The size of the classroom makes teacher involvment with each student a lot more possible. If a student needs help the teachers at Eastern make themselves very available.

When I talk about Eastern I always mention all the friends I have met. There are so many great people there to meet, and so many things to do. It is scary going to a new place and not knowing many people, but Eastern puts forth so many oppurtunities for a student to meet new people.

Eastern Illinois University prides itself in its diversified atmosphere. This is one of the many things that I love about Eastern, the population of students that attend our school ranges from none traditional students, LGBT students, international students, students with disabilities, honors students, all different races, views, lifestyles and backgrounds. We are all unique but still get along and work well together. When I look around at my classmates I am encouraged by the amount of acceptance that we have for one another and the time spent by individuals to learn from and about each other.

I cannot imagine my life today without my college education. The time spent in desks, on the quad, participating in extra-curricular activities, forming lasting friendships, joining a Bible study, cheering on our athletes and studying in the library are various activities that have shaped me as a person. I have always believed that education goes far beyond the classroom. Education is knowledge gained through interactions, hands on experiences, making mistakes, learning from them, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone to meet new people, and time spent in the classroom. Eastern has provided me with a wealth of learning opportunities ranging from getting involved in my church, my jobs as a Resident’s Assistant and a Fitness Instructor, a variety of volunteer opportunities in the Charleston area, participating in community events, experiencing diversity training, and through countless hours invested by professors. These experiences have shaped me and given me the skills that will allow me to see problems in our world and actively work to find solutions. Memories from EIU that I will carry with me are the times that I got to make a difference, small or large, in a person’s life. People are what really matter.

When I think about Eastern Illinois University it is hard for me to think of the worst thing about it. I honestly love the school. If I had to pick one thing to change, it would be the place that the school is located. Central Illinois does not have the most thrilling list of activities to participate in. I find that if you are creative you can find loads of things to do but for most students it is hard to them find activities in the community that they enjoy.

Ngoc

Currently, I study in a community college in California (first semester). Being independent, creative and keeping moving forwards are three most principal things I have learnt up to now. In Vietnam, I used to be familiar with the learn-by-heart method, which means everything is provided already for students and we tend to be negative. But here, it is totally different. In 2010 fall semester, I registered ESL 119, ESL112, CSIS110 (Computer class). Personally, the U.S. education encourages students to discover and learn by themselve, not depends on what said in textbooks. I enjoy the learning method here so much. My writing as well as communicating skills have been improved day by day. I try to be more creative not always stick with theory. For example, when making presentation in class, I always focus on new things to make my speech become more interesting. Telling jokes, playing games, or simply sharing personal experiences help me to be more confident in public. Community college is truly a good prelimenary to transfer to four-year university -- especially international student of which English is not native language. Try best and not regret for your time.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.