Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

nayibe

I believe that the college experience is important because all of us need the education to be able to be somebody. Also, it shows you that you have to work really hard to be able to get your degree. I t is valuable to attend becuase if the person really wants the profession they apply to the college and university experience shows you that we have to study for ourselves not for anybody else.

Nicholas

Eastern is heavily greek oriented. Anyone who attends Eastern should consider joining greek life.

The greatest thing that I have taken from my college experience is a better understanding of who I am as a person and what I want to do with the rest of my life. Through a series of trial and error, I have discovered my greatest passions and interests and have grasped a fundamental purpose for myself within society as a whole. I have also made strong friendships with people that I might have never known had I not attended Eastern, and expect that these friendships will be lifelong. These friendships that I have made are truly valuable because they have helped strengthen my own character as well as allowed me to grow as an individual.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience even though I have only attended college for one semester. I love that you get to pick what you love to do, then pick classes that revolve around that. It makes the classes so much more rewarding and you as a student so much more involved. Also there is so many oppurtunites to do so much. There are intermeral sports, greek life, academic clubs, and dorm activities at least once week. With all these options, come so many oppurtunities to meet people. I have met so many people while being in college, and am so happy with the decision that I have made to go away.

I consider the best thing about Eastern Illinois is the teacher student ratio. The classrooms at Eastern are probably very similar to a students highschool classroom size. The size of the classroom makes teacher involvment with each student a lot more possible. If a student needs help the teachers at Eastern make themselves very available.

When I talk about Eastern I always mention all the friends I have met. There are so many great people there to meet, and so many things to do. It is scary going to a new place and not knowing many people, but Eastern puts forth so many oppurtunities for a student to meet new people.

Eastern Illinois University prides itself in its diversified atmosphere. This is one of the many things that I love about Eastern, the population of students that attend our school ranges from none traditional students, LGBT students, international students, students with disabilities, honors students, all different races, views, lifestyles and backgrounds. We are all unique but still get along and work well together. When I look around at my classmates I am encouraged by the amount of acceptance that we have for one another and the time spent by individuals to learn from and about each other.

I cannot imagine my life today without my college education. The time spent in desks, on the quad, participating in extra-curricular activities, forming lasting friendships, joining a Bible study, cheering on our athletes and studying in the library are various activities that have shaped me as a person. I have always believed that education goes far beyond the classroom. Education is knowledge gained through interactions, hands on experiences, making mistakes, learning from them, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone to meet new people, and time spent in the classroom. Eastern has provided me with a wealth of learning opportunities ranging from getting involved in my church, my jobs as a Resident’s Assistant and a Fitness Instructor, a variety of volunteer opportunities in the Charleston area, participating in community events, experiencing diversity training, and through countless hours invested by professors. These experiences have shaped me and given me the skills that will allow me to see problems in our world and actively work to find solutions. Memories from EIU that I will carry with me are the times that I got to make a difference, small or large, in a person’s life. People are what really matter.

When I think about Eastern Illinois University it is hard for me to think of the worst thing about it. I honestly love the school. If I had to pick one thing to change, it would be the place that the school is located. Central Illinois does not have the most thrilling list of activities to participate in. I find that if you are creative you can find loads of things to do but for most students it is hard to them find activities in the community that they enjoy.

Ngoc

Currently, I study in a community college in California (first semester). Being independent, creative and keeping moving forwards are three most principal things I have learnt up to now. In Vietnam, I used to be familiar with the learn-by-heart method, which means everything is provided already for students and we tend to be negative. But here, it is totally different. In 2010 fall semester, I registered ESL 119, ESL112, CSIS110 (Computer class). Personally, the U.S. education encourages students to discover and learn by themselve, not depends on what said in textbooks. I enjoy the learning method here so much. My writing as well as communicating skills have been improved day by day. I try to be more creative not always stick with theory. For example, when making presentation in class, I always focus on new things to make my speech become more interesting. Telling jokes, playing games, or simply sharing personal experiences help me to be more confident in public. Community college is truly a good prelimenary to transfer to four-year university -- especially international student of which English is not native language. Try best and not regret for your time.

Victoria

My college experience, so far, has been a stressful, frustrating, hair pulling, yet worthwhile experience. As a full time student, and a full time employee, you could say that this is my life. Work and school are the two most important things in my life right now. Though the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is hours upon hours of homework, I continue to do it. Why? What is it all for? Sometimes I really think this is all for nothing. However, I know that unless I finish a degree, my situation will never change. If I do not receive a quality education, I will be stuck working night and day to support myself and one day my future family. The college experience has been valuable, because it is giving me a future. When I sit at my desk, at one in the morning writing papers until my fingers are numb, I think about the future I will have when this is all said and done. What have I gotten out of my college experience? Hope.

kristen

always be on top of your game at college. its nothing like high school and thats what incomung freshman don't understand. its fairly tough and you have to know what your getting into.

the ignorant students and some teachers there.

the small size, the community of the campus, and the dorms

karmen

I am actually a returning student at Columbus State Community College. When I attended before I wasn't sure about what I wanted to major in, so after some growing up and having a baby I decided to give it another try. At first I was nervous going back because I am older now and I just didn't know if I could do it. I'm now entering my third quarter and not only do I love the whole experience, but my grades are a lot better than I expected. I lucked up and have selected teachers who really make things easy to learn and understand which I am now so grateful for because having such a wonderful "returning" experience has started me off on a really good path.

Shelby

Eastern Illinois University is a magnificant school who truly care about the average student college experience on a day to day basis. The University strives to make each year to each day run smoothly and as safely as possible. Eastern marks as a school with big academic dreams and helping students by offereing as much as they can at no or little expense to the students in need of the services.

I have recieved a new sense of how life is lived outside my home town. It has taught me to open my eyes to a world without my parents and how to survive without them on a daily basis. Being able to live and make it through my first semester as a freshmen in a new environment with new people and different ways of living life, I would say that I have made through the days pretty well for myself. I believe that my first semester had made me a stronger person and therefore been vakuable to attend and will continue as long as I can.

The type of student that shouldn't attend this school is the type of person that is not serious about representing the University academically, socially, athletically, etc.

Kelly

I have made life-long friendships, networked professionally, had the opportunity to study abroad and broaden my cultural understanding and awareness, join various clubs & organizations that fit my interests, work part-time while attending school, and earn a bachelors degree with work and internship experience. I liked the school and professors so much that I decided to attend EIU for graduate school as well. Even though the town is small and there are not as many options for food as there are in the city, I enjoy being able to walk from one end of campus to the other in about 15-20 minutes. It is easy to get around and I am happy to have made new friends and build professional relationships during my time here.

I wish I would have known more about the town itself (available entertainment, restuarants, etc.)

Someone who is looking for school where everything is in walking distance, small classes, and a mid-sized university.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.