Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Victoria

My college experience, so far, has been a stressful, frustrating, hair pulling, yet worthwhile experience. As a full time student, and a full time employee, you could say that this is my life. Work and school are the two most important things in my life right now. Though the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is hours upon hours of homework, I continue to do it. Why? What is it all for? Sometimes I really think this is all for nothing. However, I know that unless I finish a degree, my situation will never change. If I do not receive a quality education, I will be stuck working night and day to support myself and one day my future family. The college experience has been valuable, because it is giving me a future. When I sit at my desk, at one in the morning writing papers until my fingers are numb, I think about the future I will have when this is all said and done. What have I gotten out of my college experience? Hope.

kristen

always be on top of your game at college. its nothing like high school and thats what incomung freshman don't understand. its fairly tough and you have to know what your getting into.

the ignorant students and some teachers there.

the small size, the community of the campus, and the dorms

karmen

I am actually a returning student at Columbus State Community College. When I attended before I wasn't sure about what I wanted to major in, so after some growing up and having a baby I decided to give it another try. At first I was nervous going back because I am older now and I just didn't know if I could do it. I'm now entering my third quarter and not only do I love the whole experience, but my grades are a lot better than I expected. I lucked up and have selected teachers who really make things easy to learn and understand which I am now so grateful for because having such a wonderful "returning" experience has started me off on a really good path.

Shelby

Eastern Illinois University is a magnificant school who truly care about the average student college experience on a day to day basis. The University strives to make each year to each day run smoothly and as safely as possible. Eastern marks as a school with big academic dreams and helping students by offereing as much as they can at no or little expense to the students in need of the services.

I have recieved a new sense of how life is lived outside my home town. It has taught me to open my eyes to a world without my parents and how to survive without them on a daily basis. Being able to live and make it through my first semester as a freshmen in a new environment with new people and different ways of living life, I would say that I have made through the days pretty well for myself. I believe that my first semester had made me a stronger person and therefore been vakuable to attend and will continue as long as I can.

The type of student that shouldn't attend this school is the type of person that is not serious about representing the University academically, socially, athletically, etc.

Kelly

I have made life-long friendships, networked professionally, had the opportunity to study abroad and broaden my cultural understanding and awareness, join various clubs & organizations that fit my interests, work part-time while attending school, and earn a bachelors degree with work and internship experience. I liked the school and professors so much that I decided to attend EIU for graduate school as well. Even though the town is small and there are not as many options for food as there are in the city, I enjoy being able to walk from one end of campus to the other in about 15-20 minutes. It is easy to get around and I am happy to have made new friends and build professional relationships during my time here.

I wish I would have known more about the town itself (available entertainment, restuarants, etc.)

Someone who is looking for school where everything is in walking distance, small classes, and a mid-sized university.

amit

from my collge experience I have got skill such as how to manage my time it very valuable to me becuase now I know how to manage my time so I will not miss any thing or dispoint any one I give my that I will be there at that time.

I think I really maxed out my college experience! I received a great education that really helped prepare me to enter the "real world" and I also met some amazing people and made lifelong friends! I was exposed to people and concepts that I otherwise would never have known about. I was able to try out so many different things which really helped me get to know myself, my likes and dislikes, and my strengths and weaknesses! The value is like mastercard-priceless!

The worst thing about Eastern...for me, coming from the area of Chicago, was small-town living! However, it didn't take me too long to transition and once I discovered that Charleston offered everything I needed, it was great!

The most frustrating thing was trying to figure out the finals schedule! It was a little tricky and took some good mapping out!

My college experience has taught me a great deal within a short three years. Like most college students, I have made mistakes and procrastinated my way through most of my experience. At the time the pressure seemed unbearable, but looking back it made my stress management abilities improve drastically. I made friends who I cannot put a price on to this day. These fellow students and classmates helped in time of of desperation when a deadlines rapidly creeped up on me. The teachers encouraged participation that strengthened my interpersonal skills and speaking capabilities. Eastern Illinois was a small town college, where one-on-one teacher/student interaction was always available and helpful in many instances. Overall, the skills I aquired, knowledge obtained, and friends made made this experience a very memorable and valuable one for me .

I wish I would have known all my options for classes for my particular major. I transferred and did not receive adequate academic advising .

A person that likes a large classroom and minimal participation should not attend this university. This school generally encouraged student interaction in every class.

Melody

Eastern Illinois University is unique in so many ways. On my first campus visit, I felt the atmosphere I would be living in during my college career. I felt the friendly spirit of encouragement that the university offers to its students. Charleston is different than other university communities. It is a mix of small town life and big city life, culture and conservatism. Diversity is abundant here, because unlike other schools, EIU provides a safe haven for all types of people. You never feel alone or like part of the crowd. Eastern is a home away from home.

I have only been at this school for a week so far, yet the relationships I have made with students and faculty far surpass any expectations I may have had before arriving. By far, these relationships have made my college experience most valuable. Most students came here for the selfish reason of getting a degree and launching their own careers, yet they are far from being selfish. Especially in my dorm community, I have already found a family that embraces me and catches me when I fall. Because we all understand that the life of a college student can be very hectic and frightening, we seem to have created a net of safety and understanding. Faculty and staff are equally generous and the relationships I have established with these folks are truly astounding to me. I used to think that all professors were in it for the money and that other members of staff were here just because. But I have come to learn that these people have a purpose, to help students and encourage growth. The janitor helped me find my first class and the librarian gave me directions to the nearest gas station. How cool is that?

I brag about the wealth of opportunities on campus. There is never a dull moment here, whereas at other schools, days can be just blah. Also, I brag about the creativity of faculty and students. At Eastern, the community is open-minded, so new events are being planned constantly. Some colleges keep their priorities the same, that kind of 9-5 thinking. I could be calling to brag from a sports event or from the library where a workshop is taking place. It wouldn’t matter. I could always say with completer honesty that the energy level is high.

Chelsea

Well I haven't attended my first day of class as a freshman yet, but i'm very excited for it and from everything I have heard I will get a great academic, and social experience from Eastern Illinois University.

I believe the best thing about Eastern Illinois University is how tight nit it seems to be. Every visit I have had there, it seems like every one helps everyone out and no one is just alone. I come from a small town so it is very important to me that my school be very tight in its campus community.

Anyone who likes a homelike feeling while they are at school.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.