Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

amit

from my collge experience I have got skill such as how to manage my time it very valuable to me becuase now I know how to manage my time so I will not miss any thing or dispoint any one I give my that I will be there at that time.

I think I really maxed out my college experience! I received a great education that really helped prepare me to enter the "real world" and I also met some amazing people and made lifelong friends! I was exposed to people and concepts that I otherwise would never have known about. I was able to try out so many different things which really helped me get to know myself, my likes and dislikes, and my strengths and weaknesses! The value is like mastercard-priceless!

The worst thing about Eastern...for me, coming from the area of Chicago, was small-town living! However, it didn't take me too long to transition and once I discovered that Charleston offered everything I needed, it was great!

The most frustrating thing was trying to figure out the finals schedule! It was a little tricky and took some good mapping out!

My college experience has taught me a great deal within a short three years. Like most college students, I have made mistakes and procrastinated my way through most of my experience. At the time the pressure seemed unbearable, but looking back it made my stress management abilities improve drastically. I made friends who I cannot put a price on to this day. These fellow students and classmates helped in time of of desperation when a deadlines rapidly creeped up on me. The teachers encouraged participation that strengthened my interpersonal skills and speaking capabilities. Eastern Illinois was a small town college, where one-on-one teacher/student interaction was always available and helpful in many instances. Overall, the skills I aquired, knowledge obtained, and friends made made this experience a very memorable and valuable one for me .

I wish I would have known all my options for classes for my particular major. I transferred and did not receive adequate academic advising .

A person that likes a large classroom and minimal participation should not attend this university. This school generally encouraged student interaction in every class.

Melody

Eastern Illinois University is unique in so many ways. On my first campus visit, I felt the atmosphere I would be living in during my college career. I felt the friendly spirit of encouragement that the university offers to its students. Charleston is different than other university communities. It is a mix of small town life and big city life, culture and conservatism. Diversity is abundant here, because unlike other schools, EIU provides a safe haven for all types of people. You never feel alone or like part of the crowd. Eastern is a home away from home.

I have only been at this school for a week so far, yet the relationships I have made with students and faculty far surpass any expectations I may have had before arriving. By far, these relationships have made my college experience most valuable. Most students came here for the selfish reason of getting a degree and launching their own careers, yet they are far from being selfish. Especially in my dorm community, I have already found a family that embraces me and catches me when I fall. Because we all understand that the life of a college student can be very hectic and frightening, we seem to have created a net of safety and understanding. Faculty and staff are equally generous and the relationships I have established with these folks are truly astounding to me. I used to think that all professors were in it for the money and that other members of staff were here just because. But I have come to learn that these people have a purpose, to help students and encourage growth. The janitor helped me find my first class and the librarian gave me directions to the nearest gas station. How cool is that?

I brag about the wealth of opportunities on campus. There is never a dull moment here, whereas at other schools, days can be just blah. Also, I brag about the creativity of faculty and students. At Eastern, the community is open-minded, so new events are being planned constantly. Some colleges keep their priorities the same, that kind of 9-5 thinking. I could be calling to brag from a sports event or from the library where a workshop is taking place. It wouldn’t matter. I could always say with completer honesty that the energy level is high.

Chelsea

Well I haven't attended my first day of class as a freshman yet, but i'm very excited for it and from everything I have heard I will get a great academic, and social experience from Eastern Illinois University.

I believe the best thing about Eastern Illinois University is how tight nit it seems to be. Every visit I have had there, it seems like every one helps everyone out and no one is just alone. I come from a small town so it is very important to me that my school be very tight in its campus community.

Anyone who likes a homelike feeling while they are at school.

Gretchen

My classmates at Eastern Illinois Univeristy were responsible, hard working and dedicated. We had fun, but worked really hard to become the teachers we are today. We were a very close group of classmates that would help eachother out at any time. My classmates became life - long friends.

Since I graduated EIU, I have taught in the Special Education field for 12 years. I am married with three children of my own and earned my master's degree while raising a young family. My college eduction has allowed me to help others. Everyday I get to touch a life of a young child and help families help their children. I get to enjoy my job everyday! I am currently attending graduate school to earn an endorsement in English Language Learners. This endorsement will certify me to teach children who are learning the english language. This is an area of need within the district that I teach in.

I feel that a person who cannot be responsible for themselves should not attend any college/university. Continuing your education is very expensive and should not be wasted.

When I first started looking into colleges, my mother begged me to stay local. I instead went to Eastern Illinois University, which is 3 hours away from home. I have never regretted my choice. I feel that by going away to school and going into a degree-seeking program right away forced me to grow up and take on more responsibilites than I would have had had I stayed home. I had gained a sense of community through the school, Charleston, and the school where I have taught during my program. Eastern has provided an invaluable experience and I would not change it for the world.

I wish I would have known that it was cheaper to live off-campus than on-campus.

I feel that the worst part about Eastern is the Financial Aid Dept. It is unorganized and does a very poor job at explaining many things.

Janice

From my college experience I was able to obtain strong friendships with people who influenced my life in a positive way. My friends in college opened my mind to diffrent cultures that I wasn't familiar with up until I started school. Many of my friends have diverse backgrounds and they were comfortable with me to answer any question that I had. They also were my support system when I needed help on a project or on an assignment that I was finding difficult. I don't think a lot of the time and effort that I put into my work would have happened without them.

Dylan

I have gained a lot of information during my first year of college. For example the importance to get involved with student activities, so I can meet new people who are also in my field.

Rusty

Coming to a university has been one of the greatest decisions of my life. I moved away from home and lived over twelve hours drive from my home and decided to live with men I had never met before in a new state in the interest of becoming the best I can become. In my time here, I have learned French, Spanish, Arabic, ASL, psychological counseling, theory, and professionalism, how to study different cultures, how to research the human mind and people's beliefs, scriptures of many different faiths, and how to study. Being at college is more than that, though. I have learned to be a friend, give my time to those who need it more than I want it, how to save pennies for my future, how to love time alone and how to meet people who don't. I have learned to change and become something I will look back at and be proud of. Living on my own and studying in a university has taught me how to learn in classrooms and in the world. The friendships I have made with professors and fellow students has made me into a man I can be proud of.

those who should attend this school should be open to new people and new ideas, new cultures and new perspectives, and new beliefs and new stigmas. When people come to our university, they seem to believe that their previous way of life was one that everyone should live. It quickly dawns on them that the world is much more broad and exciting than that. The kind of person who comes here should be looking for the opportuniity to get to know someone who isn't you and will never be just like you. We need people who are willing.

If you drink, do drugs of any kind but medicinal, have an interest in fully emersing yourself in a "freshman experience" should not attend this school. Those who don't want to let their friends and roommates study, date, or sleep, should not attend this school. We have enough to deal with without a roommate who is determined to deter their friends from succeeding. Really, there should be no place for anyone to interfere in a man's quest for knowledge. If you aren't interested in learning, go somewhere else. We don't need people who are leeches.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.