Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

Eastern Kentucky University is a beautiful campus. My classes were easy to find and in the same area. But the best part is how much is cost compared to the University of Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky University is the best choice for single parents or anyone who is watching their money. In addition the class sizes are smaller compared to the University of Kentucky. These two reasons together makes learning a lot easier, not only am I able to ask questions in the classroom but I don't have to worry about how I am going to live in the process.

Being a Colonel means you are apart of a great community. We are in the middle of a small town that cares considerably about watching their students succeed. On game day, you can almost guarantee that everyone in town will be wearing maroon. Feeling like you are apart of something bigger than a student body that is just there to get an education, was one of the main reasons why i chose to pursue my degree at Eastern Kentucky University. I feel like i am "at home" while i am here.

It is very compact, which allows plenty of time to cross campus to classes. Very rarely do you have to cross a busy street, increasing safety. It is only 20-30 minutes south of a major city, so you can live in a quite community while still being able to enjoy the pleasures of a large city. The community is very tight knit, and you get to know your teachers and fellow students well.

Something that is unique about my school compared to others is that is rural enough to have that hometown feel, but also close enough to the city so if you were ever to need anything you can drive there in less than 30 minutes. My school is also very southern-friendly I feel like. I grew up in Ohio and I still wanted to feel at home, and I do here at Eastern Kentucky University.

It's not located in a large city and has a lot of outdoor places to visit. 20 minutes south are the Pinacles, a ridgeline that is ripe for repelling, climbing, hiking, etc. Also, only an hour or so away to the east is Red River Gorge, which is the climbing Mecca of the Eastern United States.

The most unique feature about this campus is the living arrangements. Here Fraternities and Sorities live in dormitories together, they also can house you with people that are in your current degree program, you just do not find many schools were the housing arrangements are taylored to fit.

I just like how this school had a large student population, but still felt like a small university. The professors are willing to help you when you need it, and truly care about your education. And although it wasn't my first choice when applying, I am glad that I chose EKU.

This school has many unique majors (aviation, fire and safety, ect.) so it attracts a variety of people there. Also, this school has low tuition so there tend to be more down-to-earth people here rather than rich kids who have mommy and daddy pay for school.

EKU had the program I was looking for and they were well-known for it. I knew it would be a good fit for me. The town was bigger than my tiny hometown, but not big enough to throw me into "culture shock." The campus was just beautiful and friendly.

EKU is very involved in promoting diversity on campus. Other schools that I looked at didn't seem as invested in educating their students about diversity or how students could get involved in some sort of diversity program.