Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

As a high school senior, I was just your ordinary student athlete who only cared about playing softball, winning the state championship, and having a great time. I had so much potential to be way more than that, but never realized it. If you asked the Caitlyn Stevens from 2011-2012 what she was looking foward to most about college, she would tell you that she was ready to party and live it up. Once I arrived at CBC I realized that getting a college education was more important than anything else. That is why after completing my freshman year, I moved and transferred Eastern Kentucky University where i am strictly here to learn. If I was given the chance to sit down with the old Caitlyn, i would tell her to open her eyes and focus on the things that will get you far in life such as an education and a career. You will have to overcome obstacles along the way, but they will only help you become a greater student and person than you already are. The transition will be hard, but it will be worth it in the long run. "Focus. Focus. Focus. Si se puede."

First it should be noted that I am the oldest in my family. Neither of my parents attended college as traditional students and many of my family never attended college either. Asking for help while choosing a college was near impossible. While I loved my high school, counselors gave us what I now know is false hope. Their motto was that if you apply for FAFSA, you can choose any college you want. I learned differently when I found out that I couldn't attend Miami University because my parents could not afford to pay for tuition. Prices do matter for many people, including myself. College is not free, and loans are not something anyone wants to rely on. Saving money, which I did not do, is a valuable lesson to learn. *Pick a college with a good background but an affordable price also. *Save money. Work hard. *Don't take college information you've heard at face value. Do extra research And the most important lesson I've learned is to always ask questions. Do not be afraid to call the college. Because it's YOUR EDUCATION at stake!

Do not be afraid and intimidated! College is about beginning anew, making everlasting friendships, attempting new activities, and being challenged by new concepts and ideas. Mentally prepare yourself because no one will rouse you from sleep if you ignore the piercing alarm clock. Avoid skipping classes, unless you desire a one way ticket to failure. Always attempt to sit near the front of the class or in the instructor's T-zone. Not only will you pay more attention, but the instructor is more likely to notice you. Converse with the instructors so they may better understand you as an individual and will be more willing to supply aid in your time of need. Decide if you can handle early morning classes or if you would rather pull off night classes at the beginning of the semester. Also do not be afraid to talk to others, engage in lively conversations and make friends in each class, in the event that abscences are unavoidable. But mostly importantly enjoy your new found freedom and always be willing to experience new things.

Knowing is half the battle If I could go back in time, and speak with the high school senior version of myself, I would say try to keep my parents from moving from place to place so I could stay in one school. Moving from school to school did not set me up for success it gave me a handicap. I would tell myself about Scholarships that they are a great source of money to pay for college in great detail. I would remind myself that learning, and getting better grades is the key to success. I would also tell myself to pay more attention to in my weak subjects which are Math, and English. I would tell myself to work a lot harder with those challenging subjects so that the fear that I currently had of taking those subject would have disappeared once I started college. High school was not fun I could have graduated with a higher GPA if I had focus on my books, and less on moving, from school to school, and working to helping with finances. Who said it better was United Negro College Fund a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I would tell High School self to have fun while in college, and not to stress myself out too bad, because the friends and memories you make in college, you will carry with you for a lifetime. You can't relive the years you were an 18-24 year old college student, so make the best of it, go to a lot of sporting events, campus events, concerts, and lectures. Even if it's something you might not be that interested in, you never know who you could meet and it's an experience. Basically I would just tell my high school self to make the most out of everything, good and bad, in college. Those experiences will also help you figure out what kind of career you want to pursue. I would also recommend going to several job fairs and atleast talking with possible future employers just to find out what they do on a daily basis, to see if that's possibly something you want to do later in life. Lastly, I would say to join some kind of group, either a sports team, intramural team, sorority, or church group, just be a part of something.

Oh Kelsey! You've finally made it to your senior year, but don't get too excited yet. You still have to do just as much work, if not more, than you're used to. Remember that it's okay to ask questions. I know you get embarrassed and you feel like everyone else knows the answer. But I've recently found that sometimes I am the only brave enough to ask the dreaded question, and classmates thank me later. Like your dad always says, "It's your money, you might as well ask questions and learn a few things". Also remember to stand up for yourself. If you're with your bes friends and you're afraid they may not like you if you don't do what they want you to do, they aren't your real friends. BUT DON'T WORRY!! You will meet some of the most AMAZING friends in your life that you will love forever. These friends are the ones that are with you through thick and thin. Most importantly, don't stress. Have a little fun! Oh! One more thing: Don't forget to do the second essay on Biddle's last test!

I would tell myself to first of all, drop the Rock n' Roll, ripped jeans and heavy metal look because it just makes me look like a bum. I would also tell myself to not worry about what all the other kids thought about me because it doesn't matter; most of those people who made fun of you are going to end up not being as promising or as successful as you are now. When you get to college you are going to create many friends and connections that will possibly brighten your future; just remember that there is every kind of person out there so try to make good with everybody. You are going to feel like you've been sent to summer camp for the first month but you will get homesick, so please call Mom every now and then to talk to her; trust me it will make your transition to college a little easier. Also, spend your money wisely and save it when you can because when you're on your own, your on your own. As for the ladies, I'm still trying to figure that puzzle out, so just keep being yourself Kristian.

My advise to myself would be to never give up. Stay in school and don't drop out for any reason. Listen to your instructors and ask as many questions as possible. Exhaust every resource possible that would aid you in preparing you for college- soliciting help from counselors, tutors, taking a college tour, talk to other college students and ask questions about thier experience of college life etc. Explore other cultures, languages and try something new-food, hobbie etc. Learn to prioritize, explore various studying techniques and research career options prior to taking needless classes to save yourself money. Gather scholarship information to help offset the cost of a quality education. Think about what you are about to do before you do it because it may put an end to your career before it even starts. Raising a child as a college student is very challenging, so i would advise myself to consider the consequence of sexual activity. If i had it to do over again, I would take my own advise.

If given the chance to speak to myself in the past, I would tell myself that all the complaints over the applications would look utterly ridiculous in retrospect--Mom knows what she is doing so listen to her! I would say, when you get there, jump right in and help people move in, study, or anything, and give out your name like there is no tomorrow; meet everyone you can. I was shy and quiet my first few weeks, and I do regret that. I would also make sure I understand that college is a lot more challenging than high school, and that no one will tell you when to do your work and when to play. As soon as my parents leave on drop-off day I am an adult, and on my own--I did not understand that the first time around, and I would want to have known that before they made me grow up in a weekend. The last thing I would tell myself is to have fun; college is only four years of the rest of your life. Do not fool yourself--you will screw up. However, you can bounce back and learn lessons quickly.

The decision at the end of junior year switching schools to go to Middle Collage was a great idea. The experience that takes place the last year will help more than anything. While attending those four collage classes throughout the last year, taking the two electives have helped getting a minor that will still allow graduating in the four years like plan. Taking the other two classes in your major you want was a great choice. Psychology collage class was a great help, with it being hard it will cause you to go ask for help from the professor. When he finds out in the end of the semester that the whole time that you and a few of your classes mates where high school seniors, he will tell you how proud he is that we were smart enough to reach out. All the knowledge learned there make notes, because when switching to another collage is going to be a smooth ride. Thanks to the wonderful staff at the students you work with will make your first year alone in a new collage an easy one.