Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

Attending college at Eastern Kentucky has forced me to grow in my ability to make good decisions. Academic decisions include choosing a major, deciding what I want to do vocationally, determining how hard I will try to get excellent grades. There are many social decisions as well, from choosing to drink or not, to deciding what extracurricular activities to attend. I chose to join my school's rugby club, in order to keep fit, have fun, and build friendships. I also chose to attend all my classes and put in the necessary work to keep a 4.0 GPA. I have also decided to go against the flow and not participate in any underage drinking, because I have seen too many people do too many stupid things while drunk., and I belived in respecting the laws of my country. I enjoy college, because it is the doorway to the rest of my life. I am getting better at making big decisions, and good ones.

If I could go back, I would tell myself that college is not as easy as it sounds. I would make sure to express that friendships get tested, school work gets harder, and that responsibilites become greater. I would stress that when you go to college, a lot of your friendships change, you may lose some, but you gain even better ones. I would also tell myself not to stress out about the work load, and explain that yes it may be harder, but I am a smart individual who can do it. Managing time, would also be something I would make sure I knew the importance of. When you're in college, you no longer have someone to tell you when to get things done or to remind you of due dates. Most importantly, I would tell myself that anything is possible if you put your mind to it; yes college may be scary, but it's something you have to be determined to do well in, in order to succeed to the fullest.

Don't be afraid to get involved! Introduce yourself to everybody! I know that you are shy, but you might end up being that person that is the last to meet everybody. You worked really hard in high school and you are very academically ready for college! So, don't worry too much about getting every single page of reading done. Make sure that you are also spending enough time getting to know the people in your dorm and in your classes. On campus, you never quite know who you are going to meet. Furthermore, you are going to meet people very different from you. Don't freak out! Just because someone was not raised in a very conservative household like you does not mean that they are a bad person or a bad friend. So, keep that in mind when you start to get to know people. You might miss out on some good friendships if you judge. Go forth and make some new friends and lots of new memories!

Those teachers weren’t fucking with you when they said, “your gonna fall on your ass in the real world if you don’t get your shit together in High School”. Just so you know 10 years from now your college life isn’t all parties, drinking, and sex. Daddy’s not there anymore providing that warm house, first-class food, and playing role of Mr. ATM. Do you self a big favor and pull your head out of your ass and stay in High School. Trust me you will save yourself from many nights of eating pork and beans from a can while frantically looking for you last bit of change under the couch of your a mold infested death trap that you pay $1.450 a month for. You will soon figure out that it takes way more energy pick yourself up after failing than it did just to try to succeed in school. However, I still think you were completely validated when you called Mr. Kinkikin an “ugly man troll”.

Your college experience depends on one factor--you. You have the power to make it the experience you want it to be. College life is unique in that for most people it is their first taste of independence, thus it is an exciting time when one fully develops and perfects the person they want to be . It is a time of trial and error, of successes and failures. My advice to all those who are about to embark on this blessing is to learn all you can. This learning process occurs not only in the traditional classroom setting where one can be challenged intellectually but in the dorm rooms, the cafeteria, the gym and even the bar. Meet as many different people as you can, try things you've never thought you'd like, study all day, party all night. And most importantly never lose sight of the original goal-- your education, because that it is your most powerful tool for the future.

The school name typically won't matter that much - it's the content of what you learn. Co-Op or Inter before you graduate! College teaches you how to learn stuff, take a test, and forget it so you can learn more. Interships and Co-Ops will give you EXPERIENCE! This is what employers will find beneficial. This will put yourself ahead of others. So what if you have a 4.0 with no experience. If you can get a 3.25 but have 1.5 years of on-the-job career experience with great references from previous employers, no one in their right mind will turn you down. Employers know what they are getting when you have experience. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you know much about the work. All a degree means is that you know how to learn and supposedly know SOMETHING about the field. You will learn more with experience than you ever could learn in a classroom.

I would tell myself to get on to scholarships a lot earlier. I suffered a lot through my senior year, and now, having to deal with fighting others for the little amount of money thats begin given out. I also would push myself to try more things such as go further into my sewing and my acting so that I may have other things to gain money from. But when it comes to the actual transition, I would have myself study more and learn better studying tecniques. I struggled a lot this past semester having to deal with not knowing how to prepare for tests and other exams and papers. I believed I was smart enough to just cruise by, and though that worked in high school, its not something that helps in college. Looking back, I just wished I would have worked harder for my future and I would have pushed my past self to do just that.

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would have stressed the point that college life is about having fun while doing good in class. I would also have explained that professors expect excellence out you rather than letting you slide like some high school teachers do. I would have reminded myself that hard work got me that grades in high school and to make sure that I carried them over with me as I made into college. The point would have been made that I was becoming an adult and remind myself that my parents wouldn't be there to get me up in the morning and help me along the way. Time management would have been part of the discussion. I would have also chosen to have come to EKU straight out of high school because that is where my occupational choice would lead me to in the future anyways.

don't choose a school for any other reason than you love the school, the learning environment, the social environment and that it is the right place for YOU! not for you friends, your boyfriend/girlfriend, or your parents. this is your experience and you need to make the most of it. most people only get to do this once and hopefully it will only take one trip in undergrad! parents, don't worry about the partying at schools, it will be at every school whether you like it or not. if you have taught your kids well, you shouldn't worry. they will experiment, but i bet they will figure out the right path for themselves. they won't figure it out because someone told them, they need to figure it out themselves. support them in their decision and welcome them back with their laundry when they make it home!!

Make sure that the college that you are applying for is accredited to the major that you are seeking. If the college is known for the particular major that you are wanting to get, then by all means go with that school. Also, look at the graduation rate, and especially look at the rate of students going on to graduate school, especially in a field that you wish to pursue. If the number isn't high, then keep looking around. Also when looking for colleges, also look at the social aspects of the campus. If nothing happens on the weekends, and people just study all the time during the week, thats great for getting a degree, but not for building a social network that will come in handy later on. If a student isn't being sociable, then that student is missing out on half of the college experience.