Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

If I were able to go back in time to talk to myself about college, I would tell myself to learn how to probably study. I would tell me that college is hard work, but there is no need to stress out. Also, I would tell myself to never stop applying for scholarships and trying to save money (art supplies burn a whole through a wallet very fast). But what I would really focus on telling me is that it's ok to feel as though you're not the best artist. There will be projects that will stress you out and make you want to kick and scream, but it will ok. You are not perfect, you are human and everyone has their moments that they feel as though they aren't good enough. Just have faith in your talents and in yourself, and you'll do fine. All that can ever be asked of you is to just try.

There are a lot of aspects to consider when chosing the right college. Some issues to consider are size, location, how close/far from home, and how comfortable you feel. Choosing the right college can contribute to making the most of the college experience, but it is also up to you to make the most of it. You need to get involved. Join clubs, play sports (even if you are bad at them!), introduce yourself to people, rather than waiting for them to introduce themselves, because you are all in the same situation! When you feel homesick, do not take the easy way out and go home. You need to stick it out and know that it WILL get better. Meet as many people as possible, take risks, study, laugh too much, take too many pictures, be yourself and have fun because you only live once!

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot to tell myself about college. I would tell myself to not worry so much about classes because they are notas bad as I make them out to be in my head. I would also tell myselfto tryout for EKU's volleyball team because I played intermural and I enjoyed every minute of it and I was great at it. The most important thing that I would tell myself is be prepared to come out of my comfort zone and embrace the change, because it will be better for me in the long run. Coming out of your comfort zone and putting yourself into new life changing events is really want college is all about. It is the final stage of shaping you into the person you are going to be before the world swallows you whole.

I would tell myself to not give up. I've never had anything over a 2.5 G.P.A in my life during high school but now i'm in college and I have a 3.16 G.P.A . I would also tell myself not to be in a hurry and get distracted by little things that may come up. Theres a plan and a reason for everything that happens so just do what you know you got to do and let everything else just fall into place as time goes on. I've seen a lot of people drop out because they would get caught up in the freedom of college isntead of focusing on the responsibility that comes with that freedom. I would tell myself not to take advantage of that freedom but instead use it responsibly so that my college sucess would start earlier than it already has. Thats what I would tell myself.

In order to fully take in and appreciate the life of a college student you must devote yourself to being one. Immediately get involved with clubs and take at least a semester before deciding to join any lifelong commitments, like fraternities or sororities. Rediscover yourself using the new friend base you have from orientation classes. Try to get into whatever Honors Program the school offers, they typically aren?t terribly difficult compared to regular general education class but offer way more opportunities. Do not allow yourself to get caught up in superficial things like: cars, money, sex, drinking. Appreciate those around you and remember that for the next two to four years, or even six, school and everything that comes with it is your new life.

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience. I have had to deal with a lot of things that I never thought I would have to deal with and it has been a very valuable learning experience, not only about college, but about myself. I have learned more about myself as a person as well as my studies. I have made some amazing new friends, even some from diffrent countries and diffrent religions. I have learned to better accept people for who they are and not be so judgemental. I believe this will be valuable in the future and in my career. You never know who you are going to have to work with. With such a diverse community, you learn to be accepting and willing to learn new things from some people you would have not thought about before.

Before choosing the right college figure out what your major is going to be. After you have chose the major figure out which colleges have the major. After you have the colleges visit the colleges meet with people at each college. Talk to them about what you are looking into about your major and request papers so when you go home you can read them by yourself or with your parents. Think about which college would be the best for your major and which one that would help you out. This is a big step to take to decide which one is the right one. Don't rush into it. If you have to visit the college that you have decided on just to make sure that's the one for you. Then when you have decided start taking the steps to get into the college.

Don't sweat the small things, you feel like you know nothing or nobody when leaving home for college. However, looking back almost all freshman feel that way. Don't ever take your time in college for granted, because here you will meet your future colleagues, future bridesmaids, and even your solemate. There will always be parties, so don't let anyone let you feel like a loser for staying in on the weekend to study because in the long run it will pay off. Read your textbooks, ask questions, engage with your professors; the more your put yourself out there the better connections you will make in the long run that will most likely be beneficial to you. But most importantly, don't blink because college is over with before you know it.

To Students: Go to a school where you can make a difference. Go to a school with the surrounding community that you would really like to live in or fit in. Classes are important, but college is about so much more than just classes. Go out and experience life! Get INVOLVED! You will learn to be a much more varied person, you will make many friends and some of your BEST friends. To Parent: Let your child have some freedom. Don't expect them to talk to you EVERY day. Let them truly discover themselves and their world. Above all. Accept them. Support them in their decisions. Love them and make it known to them. College can be the best time of one's life. But it is not without its challeges.

My advice is to choose a career that interests you and stick with it. You need to get some work experience in the field of your choice before you make a decision. Talk with career counselors or advisors at the colleges you are interested in. Get involved with clubs or organizations within your college. The more involved you are with your school, the more likely you will be to stay focused and graduate. Do not let work interfere with school. You will be better off in the end, if you put graduating college first instead of advancing in a menial job. Work experience will not carry you to your full potential. College will be fun and awarding for you. You will learn so much more than you ever imagined.