Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

Finding the right college can be difficult. I think my advice to parents would be to go with your student and let them see and learn more about campuses. Support them in the decisions they make because you want them to be comfortable. To students, visit the campus. Go through Orientation beforehand. Talk to students. All of these things will make a huge difference in your choice. Visiting a campus is important. I knew right away when I saw the campus. You will get a sense that it is where you belong. You begin to feel at home. Go where you feel comfortable, and the longer you are there, the more it will seem like where you are supposed to be!

I tell parents and future students to examine the surrounding area in the town the school is in and make sure that the student will be happy living there. One of the biggest things at college is experiencing new things and developing new ideas so try to get involved in things you haven't ever done before. Make some strong relationships with your advisor and go to them with any questions you have. They really do want to help you with any thing you need. Also the biggest thing is have a good time while your here a college but don't let your partying get out of hand. Go to class and learn first, then if there is time left over to party then enjoy it.

I believe that people really need to decide what their values are when picking a college. I believe that it is important to visit campuses and pay attention to school prestige, the environment, and the finacial aid the school can offer. Then I would measure what is most important and pick the best out of the choices presented. To maximize the college experience I would advise students to properly mange their time. I believe that if one properly manages their time that they will be able to be successful in school, while being able to have a lot of fun. Proper time management will reduce stress and allow for the best possible college experience.

I would tell them to reasearch the colleges they are interested in very well, and make sure you visit before you choose one school. You want to make sure that the student population is the size you want and that the school is in the location that you like. You want to make sure that you are at a place that you will be comfortable at since you may be away from home. Also I would recommend joining a group or club that you are interested in to help make friends so that you are not all on your own on campus, and so that when you are at school you can see and recognize a few friendly faces to make you feel more welcome and at home.

Leaving home might have been the hardest thing for me to do. But attending Eastern Kentucky has showed me that no matter what happens you become a family with the friends around you. Living here for the past two months has been great and has allowed me to talk to people I would have never expected to. The campus is beautiful and having friends to go to in the time of need is great. This campus is home. Its more like a small hometown were everybody knows everybody. Its the best feeling in the world to be able to attend class and have a one on one experience with you teacher for a better understanding on what is going on in class.

Before coming to college, I had a vary narrow view of the world and the people that lived in it. By attendng EKU my eyes have been opened to a whole new world. I have learned about different cultures, religions, sexualities, and ideologies. I am a more understanding and accepting person because of the experience I've had while attending EKU. In my future I believe this will help me because I will better be able to understand how people think on certain topics and why they think they way they do. By being a diverse person, I can better communicate with others affectively and understand the culture from which they come.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student , i would say to myself . Go and meet with your couselor every week and your i.e.p manager , ask questions on test i could take for college . I would advised myself to look more into college selections and also to have made a more wiser choice of time as in when i should have enrolled and picked up more healthier study habbits. Also go and take tours of the campus and made appointments to talk to financial aid, advisors at the school of choice and looked over all the programs the school has available and also, look more into a tutor outside of school.

I would let myself know that EKU is a very good academic school even though it lacks in the social aspect. I would remind myself that working hard in college pays off in the long run. By keeping a positive outlook on life and setting goals for yourself, makes you successful. It is very important that you keep your future in mind while making decisions and to stay focused. I would also remind myself that school is very important, but a person needs to have fun. It relieves stress and makes life more clear. I would tell myself it is important to make close friends because you will need them when times get hard.

I would tell myself not to be afraid to be yourself and put yourself out there to make friends. It is not so difficult to approach people you might really enjoy spending time with. Do not pass up an opportunity to socialize with new people because they might become your best friends. I would also advise never to wait until the last minute to do any type of assignment or hesitate to ask questions. Your professors are there to help you, and they want you to learn and be successful. Having a good relationship with your professors will help you both short-term and long-term, and they will even help when you do not ask.

I would make sure to tell students and parents to go on college visits first before setting your heart on a school. I would also research the school and how the people really are. There is a culture difference from my home state and the state of Kentucky and it threw me off a lot and affected my grades and social life a lot. I would also tell them to apply to more schools than just one or two. I only applied to two schools and ended up limiting myself to one because I was not accepted to the other one. It is good to know that you will have a backup plan if the school you pick doesn't work out.