Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

If I could go back in time and talk to myself while I was a senior in high school I would give myself the option to attend a community school. When I was in high school, a community school sounded to "poor" for me; I didn't think I would get a good education and thought I would just be throwing my money away. I believed an universtiy or college was the "real deal." Now that i am enrolled in a college I see this is really were they take your money; the tutition is extremely too high and it keeps going up every year. Now, as I look back on it, I wish I would have attened a community school.

College has been a priceless experience for me! I feel like I am on my way to being well-prepared for my future career thanks to wonderful professors who take a personal interest in their students' learning. It has allowed me to find who I am, personally, and who I desire to be as a professional. It has built my self-confidence and given me a foundation of both wisdom and knowledge to know how to handle myself in various situations throughout my life. I would not be who I am today if I had not left home to go to school 3 hours away where I knew no one. It truly has changed my life!

If I were to go back in time to my senior year I would tell myself, "Self, you need to stay motivated. College can make you lazy, fat, a procrastinator, a bum, a freeloader. College life can distort your thoughts. Infleuence can change who you are and what you are capable of. So self, do not forget the reason for college. Self, you do not have to go to every party, do not forget about studying, do not blow off those "worthless" assignments. Self, you can do all things throught the great one. Only you can make or break you. Do not lose your assets. Love yourself, and your future."

I think you should choose a school thats right for you! Don't worry about if it's close to your home if you want to go there then thats where you go, some students let their parents convince them that a school is right for them because it is close to home but that is what college is about to get out into the real world and do things on your own. if you want to be a tutor at your school then do that if you want to play sports go for it, if you just want to go to school and live your life then do that just make sure it makes you happy cause in the end thats what matters the most.

You should find a college that has the major you are interested in, or if you don't know exactly what you want to do, a big college that will allow you to explore your options. You should take classes that interest you the most and be involved with whatever interests you. Major in what you want, not what everybody else wants you to or what you think everyone wants. Money also does not matter when it comes to your major. You have to do what makes you the happiest. That is the key to college: find out about yourself, have fun, and most importantly, be happy!

If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have made a bigger effort to get involved on campus. When I came to EKU for my visits and orientation, everyone was making a big deal about how important it was to get involved in a sorority or a club right away. I never understood this until my roommate moved out, leaving me to live by myself. It has been very hard to go through a semester of college living alone and not having anyone to talk to. My biggest mistake was not listening to my advisors when they said to get involved and make new friends.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior things would definatly be different. I would have first told myself that i needed to get more prepared for college and find out what i wanted to study and what schools were known best known for degrees in that area. I was a huge procrastanator when it came to choosing my school and i ended up going to a community college for two years before i came to a university. If i knew then what i know now i could have came straight to eastern and i could have kept from taking classes that are useless to my degree

The best advice that I could possibly give to parents and students when looking for the right college is to simply do their research. Picking the right college is just like picking anything else in life. There are many different types with different emphasis. The best thing is to make a list of possible schools then look information up online and once the list is altered afterwards then you go and visit each school. By visiting the school you are able to get a tangible feeling of what it would be like to be involved in that specific community.

If I could go back in time I think that I would have taken advantage of post secondary courses. This is where high school students can take college courses for free while getting both high school and college credit. At the time I felt that I would just concentrate on taking advanced courses at my high school instead of getting college credit. If I had taken these classes I would have had alot of my general courses out of the way. Luckily one of my advanced courses, Calculus was a college level course and I was able to get credit for it.

My advice to new students is that they shouldn?t be too concerned with getting as far away from home as possible. Certainly, college is a time to grow up, spread your wings and make the transition to adulthood. However, when selecting your school you need to consider how difficult and expensive it will be to come home for holidays and such. Also, homesickness will happen, trust me. A hundred miles is more than far enough the keep mom and dad out of your ?business?, but it?s a manageable distance to go home when you want to or need to.