Eastern Michigan University Top Questions

Andrew

Granted the gift of revisiting my high school self I would talk to myself in the beginning of freshmen year. Since I know that freshmen year was the most challenging year that I've had, I'd tell myself to stay focused. Letting myself know that multitudes of distractions will come my way and ignoring foolishness and and staying focused on success is the only way to overcome my obstacles. I'd notify myself of mistakes that were made to avoid those things happening again. A list of objectives/ events/decesions would effect me in a positive way would all be mapped out in order by importance. All the things that I know now that I feel could've helped my in the past will be written down in a notebook that I'd present as a gift to myself as soon as I arrive. However, now that I am aware of all the things that I would do to help myself in the past, I make intelligent decisions predicated on possible outcomes of the future so that I won't be wishing that I made better decisions.

Marion

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to develope better study skills. I would inform myself about how important it is to study days before the test not just the night before. I never had the need to study before college and I learned the hard way that it is a necesity. I would also tell myself how important it is t stay organized and not over plan for myself.

Michelle

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to choose my career and school past based on what I want to do instead of what other people want to do. When I was applying for schools and choosing what I wanted to do in life, I did based on what my dad wanted me to do. So I went to Michigan State University as a Nursing major and joined the ROTC program. My freshman year was my worst year of my life because I did everything to try and make my dad happy. I now go to Eastern Michigan university as a Communications major and I love it. I enjoy my major and the school I go too!

I would tell myself that it's okay to question your passions and to take as many different courses as possible until I find something in which my interest is never-ending. It's okay to not have all of the answers, and it's even better to know that you don't. Talk to absolutely everyone from the start, that way you can use the wisdom and knowledge they've gained through their years, and help yourself grow in a better direction for you. Focus os then school, not your job! Your education will help you to a career and growth, a job just pays the bills temporarily. Have faith that with hard work, it will always work out. Maybe not the way you thought it would, but always for the best. Keep your mind open to the world and all it has to offer you.

Kasey

Apply for more scholarships! Go to the campus and try to get comfortable so you won't be as nervous as you are now.

Amy

Hello Amy, It is you from the future. I know weird but anyways, I have a little advice that will save you a lot of the hassle. I know you are stressed and scared. So many changes are happening in your life. Don't worry, you are strong enough to make it through. This transition can be hard but I have some advice that just might help. 1) God First! 2) Don't go to school for education for mom and dad. 3) If you do go for education, dont be afraid to change your major. I suggest checking out Occupational Therapy ;) 4) It will be stressful at home, it is ok to move away and live in a dorm and be in debt. (3 years later I will accept this.) 5) Don't be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. You are a strong woman and a natural leader. 6) Take good notes in classes. Learning good note taking now will help that first week. 7) Good study habits because college classes are a lot harder. 7) Enjoy life! Mistakes are ok. Live life to the fullest (keeping with your vaules). 8) Stay healthy. Future Amy

Melanie

If I were able to give senior Melanie any advice, it would be to start saving for college immediately. I would tell myself not to expect finanical aid (due to the fact I was denied for 3 years until my parents got divorced). I would tell myself that at 23, making $9/hour does not pay for school and it's a stuggle every week to work full time at school and work. I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships, every single one. I would also tell myself to remember to enjoy being young and participate in more after school activities that would look better on my resume. Overall I would tell myself to keep working hard, but to continue working smart. I could have been debt free if I didn't think that money still came from trees.

Hana

Remember to take time for yourself everyday. You need the time to sort out your thoughts and learn to be comfortable with who you are.

Joseph

I would tell myself to not slack off at school. To actually study, no matter how many distractions there are.

Going back to talk to myself in high school as a senior. I would have told myself to try harder. I would have told myself to try my best in my AP classes so I could get the college credit because now my major requires the classes I already took. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because financial stability is very difficult and the scholarships help. I would have told myself to keep doing what I am doing because if I would have never worked as hard as I did, I wouldn't be were I am today.

Lindsay

Don't take your freedom for granted. As a college student, you are most likely living alone without your parents supervision. They aren't there to tell you to go to class or to wake up on time or to handle your money. Responsibility is key in making the best out of your college experience. Set an alarm, go to class, and spend money wisely. Although it doesn't seem like it, or the thoughts are pushed to the back of your mind, the loans continue to build up each and every day. Every dollar you spend could be put towards paying off college tuition. I would also tell myself to pick good friends. Make sure you find people that you can trust and have fun with, without getting into trouble. College should be fun, but should also be taken seriously. It costs a lot of money and is the door to your future in the "adult world". It's stressful and a lot of work, but so worth it. Don't give up, stick with it, and hang in there. It's an experience you don't want to miss.

Matthew

If you still plan on attending Eastern Michigan, don't wait so long to check out Greek Life. Aside from giving me a social life, being a member of a social fraternity has given me many leadership opportunities and a lot of experience in how to be a business professional. Another piece of advice I could offer is DO NOT SKIP CLASS. It's taken me 5 years to graduate and while I'm happy with how things have turned and am extremely excited to start Graduate School at Eastern in the Fall semester, your wallet will thank you later if you don't skip all of those classes I did and really hurt your GPA, financial aid, and stress you out. The last piece of advice I can give you, is just be you, and be happy as you. People will come and go from your life, but you're always going to be there for yourself. Always do what makes you happy, and yes, I know making other people happy makes you happy, but maybe try putting yourself first for once? It might actually do you some good. Just keep your head up, you got this!

Aimee

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I know now I would tell myself to study more. I did well in high school but I think if I were to study more and get better grades it would have prepared me more to get scholarships and help me pay for school. I did not realize how much college would actually cost when I was in high school but now that I do know I wish I had more scholarships to help me pay for it. If I had done better in high school I would have most likely gotten a scholarship that paid most of my tuition. Instead, I have a scholarship of a lesser amount and I am struggling at the end of each semester to try and find a way to pay the rest of my tuition without asking for help. At the end of my four years of college I want to be able to say I made it through without having to ask for anybodys help but rather made it through with the scholarships I earned and the money I made through my efforts.

Anthony

"Always have a back up plan, don't put all your eggs in one basket". The reason i would tell myself that is because in high school I wanted to go to one school and one school only. The problem with that is once I realized I wasn't good enough in the sport I played to go there then I didnt have a back up plan. I should have wrote back all the recruitting letters I got to give myself more options. So instead I had to take the long route but now I am here in this position to continue to play football at a four year university. "Study, study, study". Thats another thing I would tell myself. When it all comes down to it college is anout studying and if you put in the time to study then the grades will follow.

Stanas

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to stay even more focused. I would do everything earlier than I did before. I would have taken more duel enrollment classes.

Meghan

I would tell myself to not be afraid and to participate in the Early College Alliance. I was given the opportunity to go to ECA at Eastern Michigan University, a program that allows high school students to finish all fo their high school classes, and graduate with up to 60 college credits. I ended up not doing it because there was not a lot of information out about it, but I wish every day that I had done it. I would tell myself to just go do it, because you will still be able to participate in everything you love doing at the high school, and gain part of your college education for free. Don't worry about the credits transferring, because they end up transferring to almost anywhere. Also, don't worry about all of the high school friends you might lose, because you will finally find a place you fit in and friends who understand you and enjoy being around you.

Marilena

Changing the past would change my future; I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my past and the choices I made. I would not change a thing. I attended the International Baccalaureate in Greece, and it was the best preparation for college I could ever ask for. It challenged me intellectually and mentally and gave me the tools I needed to successfully enter the "real" world. The only advice I would give myself, is not to stress so much over the small things. Everything happens for a reason, and whether life brings us good or bad, we can learn valuable lessons from both.

Kaitlyn

I would tell myself to stay involved with the school. I was very involved in high school and just stopped once I got to college. I would tell myself that there are so many different opportunites out there and that I should have stayed involved at school. I would also tell myself that it is not as scary as it seems and that I am strong enough to make the transition and that there are many other people who are going through the same thing as you are and that I would be okay.

Charissee

I would tell myself to take college more seriously. Know what is expected of me to retain my content/ major that way I can succeed in every class. The transition was good because I always put school first. However, I didn't know what was the criteria for becoming an Elementary Education major at first because they were about to change my major when I got admitted into Eastern.

Teresa

If I got to go back in time to myself as a highschool senior I would of got a job sooner. I never realized how important it is to have a job where you make money to save for college. i was always nagged to get a job and save money but no one ever helped me understand the importancse of it. I understand it now as I struggle to pay for school. At this point I don't have enough money for all for years, even three years. I wouls also tell myself to get more involved right away so that you do not get lonely so fast. As a senior I was swimming, singing in my church choir, girl scouts, S.A.D.D, and others. Yet, right now I am only part of Young Life. It is not enough for me so I would tell myself to get more involved the second I got to school.

eva

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, there would be a lot to say to myself. I would start by letting my self know that getting a good education means everything in this world. I would say to my self that I should take high school serious and try my hardest so that when I got in college I wouldnt have to go back to taking high school courses in college. I moved to Minnesota four years ago, I use to live in the lower class areas where education was not exactly important. I always got low grades but when I moved up north I saw around my and decided I wanted to go to college. It was my senior year when I finally tried, that is why if I could go back I would tell myself to push myself harder so that college would be faster and easier for me. I had to take english and reading and now math that is one of the major things I would let myself know so that could have gotten farther quicker in my study and realize how important getting and education is.

Naudia

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would be sure to prepare myself more for the reading load once you get in college. There are not alot of assignments you have to do, but there is tons of reading. I would tell myself you do not really have time to slack off on maybe one assignment because it could cause real damage with your grade. I would also tell myself to never ever procrastinate on anything. Always try to get things done ahead of time so I will not have to worry about them later. The last thing I would tell myself is to always keep a planner with me because it really helps with keeping you organized and helps you to know exactly what you have to do and when.

The very first thing I would tell myself would be to apply to Eastern Michigan University right away and not even waste my time pursuing Michigan State; they don't give you any scholarship money and that's something you are going to need. Second, apply, apply, and keep appling for scholarships! Don't waste anytime, you don't want to be stuck out of college with a ton of loans. Now, don't worry about your suitmates in college, they will become your closest friends, your roommate however, you might want to reconsider; she is crazy and causes some serious problems. Next, joining a sorority is going to be the smartest thing you do, just accept the fact that you will become a sorority girl. As for transitioning, don't even worry about it. You are going to love college, as you always knew you would. College is your time and your freshman year is off to a wonderful start. So don't waste any more time stressing out, and enjoy the last year of high school knowing your college years are going to be fantastic!

Kelsey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college and the transition from high school to college I would start out by telling myself to stay calm. Changing from a small high school to a large college is scary and stressful. I would want myself to know what to expect when at college and how different it is and how different the school work is. Many things about college is stressful or confusing, I would of told myself to stay calm even when things are almost too much to handle. After explaining to myself about the stressful and confusing things about college I would start to talk about homework, quizzes and exams. High school homework is very different from college, high school is easier and college is so much harder. I would stress the importance of studying and taking a lot of time to get all school work done on time and done correctly. The last thing I would tell myself would be about saving money for books and other school expenses.

DeVon

I would tell myself go over all my material I learned that day. I give me some study tips and tell myself to make a time schedule on when and what to study.

Allyson

I would have advised myself to consider other colleges as much as I did EMU and to maybe have considered staying closer to home instead of moving 14 hours away right after high school. I would have told myself some lessons that I have learned in my early adult years about handling stress and arguements with other people. Another lesson I wouldve taught myself is that some people just arent worth the time and stress you put into keeping them in your life. As for the transition into college life, I would have told myself to be more open about college activities to make friends easier. I was highly against sorority life until second semester. I wish I would have joined sooner. Also to be more open to clubs and study groups so I wasnt confined to my dorm as i was all year long. There's many things I wish I couldve known to make college easier as a freshman. But I am happy with the way my year went and the friends and life that I now have due to what I did do without my future advice.

Jasmyne

Maria Sharapova, Tom Brady, Michael Phelps. Often we celebrate their success and overlook the struggles they overcame to get there. Jasmyne, college will have both its high and low points. Remain focused. The following tips are a blueprint for your success. STOP making excuses. Change is only possible if you believe in it. TIME management is imperative to success. During college you will have to juggle multiple jobs, homeschool your little brother and study. REACH out for help. 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of all rapes are acquaintance rapes. Remember you are a survivor, not a victim. EMBRACE people from various cultures, your world will be changed. NEVER be afraid to ask your professors questions. Apply their answer not just to your test, but to your life. GOD is always first; never forget that he is THERE. HOPE. At times you will feel hurt, hungry, and helpless. Always keep your hope. Combine the first letter of all the capitalized words in this essay and they spell the word STRENGTH. Lolo Jones once said, “I have been running for 12 years, practicing 2-4 hours every day for a 12 second race.” Jasmyne, college is your training ground; never take your eyes off the prize.

Sara

When you are offered a full ride scholarship to a community college, DON'T throw it away. Although you are attending college right now, that free ride would have been helpful towards saving money, and having to take out less student loans. Everyone is nervous on the first day of school, especially if it is their first time at college and they don't know anyone who is there. The most important thing of all, pace yourself. Don't overwhelm yourself the first couple semesters. You must get used to the college life and not over do it with classes.

Kristen

Dear Kristen, I know you are anxious about transitioning to college, and I completely understand. College is scary because it means leaving behind everything familiar for the unknown. So, before you take that plunge, there is something you should know. The biggest aspect about college is that it’s a time for you to open up and figure out who you are as an individual. You are still young, so do not waste time fretting over not knowing your place in the world just yet. Promise me—promise yourself—that you will not put up a wall between yourself and the rest of world. Without spoiling it for you, you are going to meet a professor that shows you a world of possibilities and those doors will not be open if you do not allow yourself the chance to see them. You deserve all of the best opportunities, but no one is going to place them in front of you on a silver platter. So remember: hard work and dedication are what it takes to plow a path in the world. You are strong-willed and strong-of-mind and there is nothing you cannot do. Always, Rooting For You

Erik

to study and take college life seriously that it is no joke

Erik

Caryn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would push myself harder. I would tell how rewarding colege is but how expensive it is also. My grades were good in high school, but I would've pushed to make them great. I would tell myself to use the little bit of extra time I had to volunteer more and help students younger than I. I would tell myself to enjoy the little things in life but also to prepare for my future. Its only been less than one-year since my senior year but I have learned and matured so much since then. I have a lot of advice and wisdom I would love to share with my younger self.

suyoung

Be eager about what you are learning, and find out where you want to go before you start a college. Otherwise, you will end up wasting time and money. What you learn in college will be useful in a real world.

tayler

If i could go back in time and give myself advice it would first be keep your grades up so you can be able to have many choices. Secondly apply early and search different schools and attend different college fairs. Third would be ask questions about scholorships, pell grants and different college information. I would look for a school that has a great background on my career. I would then remind myself to always stay focus and pay attention and let myself know that anything is possible. I would have taken harder classes to transition myself into a college ready student. I would have reminded myself how important the ACT was and how it could help me go anywhere that i wanted and help me pay for school. I would have just reminded myself to take everything serious so i wouldn't have any regrets about my choices.

Mone

Dear Mone', This is your senior year, and I'm sure you have a great amount of questions on your mind. I'm here to help you with making your college experience a prosperous one. This isn't the easiest task, for there are many steps in which you should take. First you need to decide on a college. You can go about this is by applying and recieving acceptance letters from schools. From there, you decide on which school is offering you the most in money, and your major. The money portion is dependent upon how early you complete and submit your finacial aid, as well as household income. It's always a great idea to get the on-campus living experience. With all the events on campus, it's a wise choice to attend as many as possible. Not only does this help you network, but you form new friendships and a social life as well. If you can, try and become a part of an organization. Stay on top of your work, never procrastinate, and get a good relationship with your professors. I hope that my advice will help you in the long run. Sincerly, Future Mone'

Brandy

The things I would tell myself in high school if I had the chance to do it all over. I would let myself know how stupid I was for not trying, not pushing myself to the potential that I know I'm capable of. Asking why are you not setting goals and then striving to meet them. Why do you not research the programs and academics offered at the school to help you succeed. Working is not more important than accomplishing the best while you are in high school. You have a grandmother that is more than willing to make sure that you have the best she can provide at home but you have to provide yourself in the future and working at being the best in school is going to accomplish that for you. If I could only go back and preach these things to myself. I would encourage to not think that just passing was ok, that having a higher GPA is more important. I would make sure that I knew how hard life would be without an education and that life would have so much more to offer just with the knowledge and the desire to succeed.

Suzan

I definately would have prioritized and organized myself in a more concise manner as far as pursuing a beneficial and realistic education related to the real world. We are truely young and immature in so many ways when we begin our educational career and are often left preoccuppied with extracurricular activities and our academics are left as a subsidiary concern. If I could go back in time I would have told myself to take my education more seriously and would have conscientiously applied myself to a greater degree. I also would have initially studied a program that would have provided me not only with financial security and peace of mind for the future but with emotional and psychological well-being as well. We have usually left the comfort of family and home for the first time and we are in a sense much like birds leaving the nest for the first time, all we want to do is fly. However, it is how and where we end up landing that becomes absolutely essential.

Mary

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to stay focused and keep going to school. I wish that I didn't know as much as I thought that I did back then. School is so important. I would also tell myself that it's so much harder to go back to school when you have children and a full time job. So just stay in school and then your life will be much more rewarding.

Camille

Camille, don't stay up late. Don't say "I'll do it later" to assignments. Study more. Put more effort into your work. Listen carefully to teachers... The list goes on and on. There are many things I would say to my high school self. I truley wish during my senior I knew the importance of my grades and where they would lead me. There are two main areas that I would advise myself on; family and grades. Yeah, everyone knows grades are important, but knowing exactly where those grades will take you is key. I do wish I could have raised my GPA. Thinking, "higher GPA, more money!" This would have been very benifical to me this year if I was awarded a scholarship. Also, family is very important to me and knowing that I would be far away from them never occured to be a bad thing. Well, I was wrong. It's a very hard transition and I wish I would have taken advantage of the evenings I had with my family while in high school. The two important things I would tell my high school self is to value my family and value my grades.

Ellie

I would tell myself to get involved and make friends earlier in your time at college. Don't wait until your junior year to go through sorority recruitment. Do it your freshman year so you can have more time to enjoy it.

Francisco

If i could talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to be less afraid to be who I am. Even back then I held many of the beliefs I hold now. The difference is that back as a high school student I was always afraid to express who I was. I felt that I would be judged and even though I didn't show it I was afraid of people and what they thought of me. To some extent I still have some of the same fears. However now I have come to terms with who I am. One of the other things I would tell myself is to do better in school. I always did the minimum in high school and because of that when I went to college I had to learn that life doesn't treat people who do not give it their all, very well. If you want to succeed you have to be willing to put your heart and soul into what you want and even though you might never be certain of you or your future, you certainly will not get where you want to be unless you commit yourself.

Kiesha

I would tell myself to study, study, study. Go to class prepared - meaning great sleep, breakfast, and positivity. I would tell Senior Me to not even worry about, "Will I make new friends?", because that is a given on a college campus. This is not like high school. Mom doesn't make you go to class and teachers don't call your house when you miss too many assignment, so be productive. Last but not least, have fun, but not too much.

Kern

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about the transition to college I would tell myself to relax. The first day will be emotional since you will be staying with your roommate for the first time who you could consider a complete stranger, but don’t worry though because he is a really great guy and when the end of the year comes and he is gone you will feel like you’ve lost a brother. As for classes don’t be concerned with what everyone says about them being harder than high school classes. The fact is that you are just lazier than you were in high school which means that it’s time to buckle down a bit. As for making friends you should already know from your time in high school that that won’t be a problem for you. Just get involved with organizations and don’t lose touch with the empathy you feel for those around you. Finally don’t let the thoughts of how grandma isn’t here to see you succeed cloud your mind because you are doing everything you can to make her proud.

Anna

Dear Anna, I am writing to you from thirteen years in the future about things which i now know you should consider important for success. Stay focused on your goals. Remember you're in a marathon. By sticking to the principles others have instilled in you; you will complete your education and achieve your goals. You will meet "users" who will try to manipulate you and won't worry about your welfare. TRUST YOUR PARENTS in matters regarding men. Be careful regarding alcohol and illicit drugs- YOU WILL DIE from abuse. Put yourself and your children first. Beware of the Internet. It can provide useful items but it can be misused to abuse you and your rights. If you develop a serious disability TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. Your life may depend on it. Listen to the advice of family and physicians. Listen to your college instructors and advisors. They will help you and give you the best advice possible. If your education is interrupted remember it is NEVER TOO LATE to continue your education and achieve your dreams. During your course of education, remember to love and believe in yourself. LOVE YOU, Anna

Courtney

As i take this time to reflect on my life as a highscool senior I think about all the times i had to push myslef a little further but didnt. Knowing what i know now i would tell myself to actually take time to read the chapters of my science book, to finish my homework at home instead of fifteen minutes before class, and i would also study test material a week before the test instead of the day of the test. "Partying?? Oh no, no party tonight you need to study, that math quiz tomorrow isn't going to complete itself" maybe if I had of told myslef this a few years ago i would have been more prepared for college. "Boys come and go, your teachers are here to help you for your future, so listening to him ramble on how he wants to take you out during a history lecture wont prepare you for your upcoming research paper". I would explain to myslef the lesson on prioritizing, somethings just aren't as important as other things in certain stages of your life. "Word of advice, listen to your teachers and parents they know from experience".

marissa

MapQuest Directions From: Parent’s Home To: Undetermined 1.Pack bags with love and support. 2.Turn right onto YOUR OWN LIFE PATH, proceed with caution. 3.Straight to STEPPING STONE ROAD. 4.Intersect with ORIENTATION/ORGANIZATION ROAD. (should you get LOST, make a U-turn) 5.Straight to ALIGN YOURSELF WITH HIGH ACHIEVERS STREET. 6.Straight to APPLES IN APPLE CART ARE YOURS ROAD. Aptly named; you own the material so learn for life. 7.This portion of journey is full of highs and lows. Stay awake, attend class; you’ll reach CAMPUS/ LIFE NETWORKS ROAD 8.HOMESICK ROAD detour to CAMPUS LIFE ROAD quickly. 9.Merge with Straight to COMMUNITY SERVICE ROAD will connect with YOUR OWN LIFE PATH ROAD. 10.Merge with ACADEMIC ADVISORS SREET. Good resource. 11.Will approach ET PHONE HOME ROAD. Do. A lot. 12.Fatigue sets in, you feel lost, but ENDEAVOUR BLVD. confirms that the hoops you’ve jumped through have paid off. This isn’t time to party or celebrate, unless it’s twenty laps in the pool or a ten mile marathon. Endurance here means everything. 13.Arriving at LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL ROAD. Diploma in hand.

Louis

I would have said. You did not take advantage of the oppurtunity to find out what you really wanted to do in life. I chose my major based upon what I thought it would be. Then two years later i really found out what I wanted to do and ended up haviing to saty an extra semester. I would have volunteered to work in what I percieved to be my chosen field to see if I even liked what I thought I liked. I would not have been afraid to say wow I am scared and need to find out what I really want to do with my life. I would have taken more courses in writing.

Michelle

I would say: it is okay. You didn’t know college was just another type of schooling in a more stressed environment. You didn’t know that if you would’ve applied to a few scholarships, you would not be frustrated trying to make ends meet. You were just having fun and enjoying your last year of high school not realizing once the high disappeared, you were left standing alone. It is okay to feel pressured and angry, but take those negative feelings and turn them into positive emotions. I would say: things would get better in the end. Life is just a long road and it is up to you to make it a journey. It is okay to enjoy yourself, but keep those who are important close to you and do not procrastinate on essential works that could help propel you into the madness of what is called “the real world.” It is okay to take things for granted, but remember to learn from those mistakes and do not let any opportunity pass without thinking it through. I would say it is okay to feel scared, but know that there is always light where there is darkness.

Christen

Be ready for anything, and accept challenges from classes. If you just sit and do nothing, it will be harder to understand different situations, or classes.

You are capable of more than you think you are. Life is hard and full of challenges and taking what seems like the easy way out is not always the case. Nothing worth while is going to be easy so face the challange to enjoy the benefits.