Eastern New Mexico University-Main Campus Top Questions

Noah

If I were to go back and talk to my former self I would include a lot of do's and dont's and tell myself to stay focused in school. Though I think the best advice that I would give myself is to never forget the idea of who I can be. A lot of times in high school I would throw away a brillent idea and then never think of it again. I never tried to push myself in highschool it seemed like I was just floating down the river of high school. I would tell myself to stay focused as well and to never become lazy. For some reason in high school I always thought that the work that I was doing was not good enough or it didn't mean anything to me. I would tell myslef to always try and finish my work the right way and turn it in on time all the time. In high school I never had a problem turning in my work on time but it was more so that I didnt understand the work.

If i was talking to myself when i was a high school senior, I would of told myself to get on the ball. Start applying for scholarships now before it's too late. Also, enjoy your last year in high school because you can never get it back. When you play sports, give it your all and don't quit.

Tyler

The biggest piece of advice I would give myself is to put more effort into preparing for college. In my senior year, I did not get muh help from my advisor in getting scholarships or telling me what classes might help me in getting ahead in my degree. I had to ask anyone I could find for help in finding scholarships. I did graduate with a total of 16 credit hours. Despite this, knowing what I do now, I would tell myself to look for more scholarships and to take more dual credit courses.

First of all: eat. It's not going to hurt you. In fact, if and when you stop eating, it is going to destroy you. I know it sounds crazy, but I promise people will still like you, no matter what you weigh. You're a wonderful, beautiful person, and you deserve everything you've dreamed of. I'm not saying you're going to be perfect, and everything is going to be magical and easy, but you're going to enjoy yourself. Secondly: do what you want. You know you want to act. You've wanted to act since you were a wee lass. Don't let anyone stop you. You can accomplish anything. Not everyone is as bad as they seem. You are a talented, driven, excitable young woman, and you deserve happiness. Don't deny yourself because of what others say; what others do; what others think you should do. Do what you want to do. You only have one life, and if you want to spend it wisely, you'd best start treating yourself right. Love yourself. Love others. Someone will always be there to help you. You are never alone, my dear.

Taylor

If I could go back to senior year, I would have taken highschool more seriously. I would have taken the right classes so I wouldn't have to take classes that didn't count in college. I would have taken the SATs and would have applied to colleges. The reason why I would go to a state school right out of highschool is because of the experience you get to have with meeting people and staying in dorms, and also joining clubs and meeting people that way. I wish I would have known as much about college as I do now because then I would have been looking into scholarships earlier and finding anyway I could to get extra money because I would have been able to go straight to a four-year if i knew about all of the possible financial aid before hand. College is expensive, but it is totally worth it in the long run.

Memory

If I could go back. I would tell myself, Self stay on the path that leads to a more stable and dependable future. Even though there's so much instant gradification avaible, that so very easy to obtain. Instant gratification can not endure it's not made out of the substance that a earned degree, higher education is made of. It has no committment, endurance or structure and does not understand preseverance. Making all those sacrafises to obtain life stability how difficult. Self if we don't stay on the path we'll get caught in the grip, probobly work long side someone whom makes three times our salary and does least the amount work, and is probobly much younger and happens to be the boss. Not to mention the probobility of where we may have to live. So self if you could kindly let instant gradification go by. The favor you would be doing us would allow our future to be solid. Instant Gradification can be taken with a blink of an eye. Education last till the day you die.

Valerie

Arriving safely in 2011, I step into the classroom where my senior self is located. “I need to speak with Valerie Thorson. It’s urgent.” I ignore the shocked stares. My senior self approaches cautiously. “How-” “I don’t have much time,” I interrupt myself, silently laughing at this oddity. “This is about the transition to college.” Her eyes widen, a look of panic surfaces. “I realize it seems intimidating but listen. One thing that’s imperative is to open up and make friends , it really decreases freshman year anxieties.“ My senior self nods. “Participate in class discussions. It helps with comprehension and also with studying.” I look at my watch, time’s running out. “Take a lot of notes in class. Also, make them detailed and interesting, they’ll be more memorable after studying.” My senior self looks overwhelmed. “Remember, studying is extremely vital but have fun. College is about new experiences and forming a new chapter in life. Enjoy every day.” I glance down at my watch, time’s up. “Look, I need to go. Take my advice seriously, this information is valuable intel.” I smile as I walk away, knowing my senior self will be just fine.

Holly

iwould do nothing different than i did in high school. i feel that my choices were right. and i am very happy at were i am at right now in my life.

Timothy

I would tell myself to learn better math skills and remember to take some classes in business

Trisha

Keep your grades high and retake your ACTs and SATs and actually study for them. I would also tell my self to stay away from the partying, alcohol and the fraternity boys and keep my focus on my grades.

Robert

If I could travel back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell him to experience as much of high school as possible. In essence I would tell him to do all that I did with a few personal pointers along the way. Pointers such as learn leadership ealier, and don't be so lazy when it came to assginments that appeared trivial. For even the most trivial assigment is a exercise and lesson in technique. Then on the social side of the pointers I would tell my highschool self to be more brave in the social pool for nothing could be worse than not trying to ask that girl out or going to see that movie with friends. Then if there was still time left in schisim back to the past I would tell him that the balence that he need to find was between social and academic

Ryan

It is a good place to go to school, and the education you get there is a great baragain for the price you pay for it.

Tina

I save gas by attending online courses. I like the flexible schedule. I can save even more money by taking core couses at the Ruidoso branch. The financial aid officer has been very helpful in allowing me to return to school to finish my degree.

Tessa

My college experience has given me an incredible drive to succeed. When I started college in 2005, I had no idea what my plans for the future would hold. My second semester I took Accounting 201 and realized that was exactly where I was supposed to be in life. After realizing accounting was the career path for me, I dedicated every semester to continuing what I started - with my associates in the very back of my mind. The semester I was to receive my associates was a very amazing time for me; I have never felt like I had worked so hard on something like that: day in and day out, semester after semester. Every day that passed, I realized how close I was coming until I had completed one of my long-term goals. Finally, graduation day came, and as the first person in my family to graduate from college, I became overwhelmed with feelings of pride and accomplishment. That day I saw other graduates receiving their bachelors and masters, and I decided then and there: I am going to chase this feeling. I want to be a success story, not only for me, but for my children.

Tracy

Being and older student has been a different experience than most. However I have enjoy expanding my knowledge, understanding, and views on many things. The faculty and student body are fantastic and are always willing to help. I have been a math tutor for a few semesters so I knwo first hand how hard the school works to help students succeed. this is a very supportive campus for students leaving home for the first time as it is supportive and not overwhelming. many students I know have had at least 2 to 5 job offers in the last semester of school. This school emphasizes practical application of what we learn and helps us in attaining the skills needed to achieve employment on graduation. there are also many activities to keep students entertained in a productive way so they avoid the destructive type of entertainment.

Jana

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school as a senior I would give myself advice of learning how to take better notes . I would advise myself to ask for help whenever I needed and try to make myself realize that people are there to help you. I would advise myself to take class seriously and not be afraid to ask questions.

Wendy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself knowing what I know now I would tell myself that college is going to be the hardest thing that I would have to do but that it would all be worth it in the end. I would also tell myself that I need to not be so shy and talking to people is how you get to know them and that is the easiest way to get to know the area and people. I would also like to tell myself not to get destracted, to stick with your school work not just to read what you have to but really study and understand what the teachers really are trying to teach you instead of just going through the class and getting a good grade in the class.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say that going to Eastern is well worth it but that I will also need to be more patient and self-reliant than I really was. Going to college really is the transition between being taken care of and taking care of yourself. I would tell myself to not rely fully on the college administration. I cannot rely on the administration because if something needs to be done, then it is your responsiblity to see that it gets done. Even though Eastern has a realativly small campus, there are many students that attend the college and many students are put on the "back burner" so to speak because they do not make sure that paper work is being processed or that they are getting the complete story when it comes to what is required of students in order to get their degree. So, my advice to myself as a high school senior is; start taking responsibility for what is happening with your student records. If you completely rely on the school to get things done, you'll be a freshan for two years.

Rebecca

There are many things I would tell myself if I could go back. The first thing I would tell myself is to concentrate on school and get good grades. Also, I would tell myself to study hard for the ACT and SAT. I would tell myself to not worry about social gatherings as much and worry more about school and college. I will always have time for social things, but can never go back and get those good grades back. The best advice I would have for myself is to start applying for scholarships early, because college is very expensive! Scholarships do help a lot, and you figure that out when you get to college.

Steven

I would go back and tell myself not to stress out about college life. It is not as hard as many people make it out to be. You just need to relax, go to class, do your homework, and everything else will take care of itself. If you stress out, it will be a lot more difficult to adjust to life on your own especially if you are far away from your home. Getting to know people may be a little more difficult if you are not apart of an athletic team, which is why it is important to get involved wth clubs, or going to different school activities and functions. If you follow the tips just given to you, you will be sure to succeed in an college environment.

Daniel

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as high school senior I would tell myself to take complete advantage of Upward Bound. Upward Bound is a college preparation program for high school students that is government funded and serves them all throughout their high school career. I was involved in this program all 4 years of my high school and it benefited me greatly! I just now look back and wish that I would have used it even more than I did. This program truly changed my life with all of the wonderful opportunities you receive. For example, my sophomore year we had the opportunity to travel to Boston, MA for 7 days! Did I mention that Upward Bound paid for all of this? We toured Harvard University, Boston College, and Massachussets Institute of Technology! It was a great and eye opening experience for me that I would have never gotten to participate in if it wasn't for Upward Bound. Upward helps you out tremendously especially when you are a senior and you are filling out many scholarships and writing essays. I would have just pushed myself a little harder to make it even better!

Connie

If I could go back and talk to myself, I would stress the importance of making good grades in high school and being more attentive to education instead of focusing on the social environment and taking less productive paths. A good GPA in high school generally results in colleges competing with each other to obtain your intelligence and once accepted, the sky is the limit. Scholarships and awards are plentiful if you put your best effort into your high school education. It is important to establish a foundation of helping others by volunteering at the school or in your community to further enhance your opportunities. Use all the resources available and seek the guidance of advisors and counselors if you are unsure of what path to take. Find where your skills lie and endeavor to polish them to perfection. You will be a success regardless of what might have prevented it in the past, if you focus and establish goals to achieve. Work dligently and passionately to get where you want to be. Become the whole instead of one of the parts.

Brianna

Money is precious, don't spend it wildly anymore. Time is important and dropping classes shouldn't be an option. Stay focused on the goal and don't let past experiences with senioritis destroy your work ethic. Also, relationships aren't the most important thing in the world. You're going to college for your education, to futher your life and persue your goals, don't let the relationships be a big deal, if they happen, they happen, but if not... Don't worry about it. And most importantly, find a good destressing technique outside of smoking. You'll need it.

Brittney

First and foremost, I would tell myself to relax and enjoy life. I believe that during my college years, I took myself too seriously, hiding myself away studying all the time. My main goal in college was to maintain a 4.0 GPA and to get into a prestigious medical school. Now that I look back, I realize that academic success is important, but a person should not become obsessive about it. If I could attend college over again, I would become more involved in the community and the social events on campus. I have learned that true happiness and fulfillment come from reaching above and beyond myself to help and encourage others who are in need. I was wrong in believing that I must become a doctor to make a difference in people's lives. Restoring relationships with those who I love and cherish has been the focus of my life right now, and I could not be happier! Throughout college, I became so wrapped up in personal success that I almost forgot what it was like to simply live, laugh, and love.

Tori

I never really had any negative thoughts about college. I had always heard good things so I was very excited. The only thing I was not prepared for was being away from my family. If I were to go back I would remind myself how important college will be for my future. I would also talk to my classmates and encourage them to go to college as well.

Tracy

First and foremost I recomend that highschool students attend college right away. I was tired of school and did not attend. I was doing well in the work force then quit to raise a family. When I tried to return I could not get the same level of employment because I did not have a college degree. Also live on campus the first year at least (most schools require this). This gives you time to adjust to the new setting and area, as well as being away from home. It also helps you develop freidships that will help you not feel as lonely and give you a support network for study and social activities. Also be prepared to spend the time neccessary to succeed in your classes. If you do not spend the time in study outside of class it will be difficult to succeed.

Ryan

Figure out how much you are willing to spend while still in high school and plan what school you attend acordingly; however, you should also try to stay close to home at first, just in case, and try to pick a college where there will not be a great culture shock for you. Once you get to school get as involved as you possibly can, guys should join the Kappa Sigma fraternity, and everybody should join as many clubs as possible.

Laurel

A degree is a degree. If you only look at the big prestigious schools you will miss the small ones that are really there for you as a person instead of as a number. Sure you could get into a big school but when you're just another student a professor is not as willing to help you after hours or let you make up a test on their own time. It all comes down to two things: grades and money. Paying $50,000 to go to a big school where you will get a well known degree with a 2.5 GPA still won't look as good as a 3.5 or above that you could receive at a small school with the help of avid professors for $20,000.

Christopher

find a college that has good teachers.

Andrea

I believe that parents should research with your children about the different colleges during middle school and all throughout there highschool career, encouraging them to get involved in as many activities as possible. Also, allowing there kids to pick what they want to be and encouraging them in whatever that may be.

Tabitha

I think it is most effective when searching for the right college to visit the campuses and decide which atmosphere is most affable and suited to his or her major.

Katie

Finding the right college is hard. Make sure to look at the town as well as the campus.

Codi

The advice I would give to parents and /or students would be to research. The process is hard especially when trying to do it on your own. Read everything you can. Rely on yourself. The most important thing is to start the process very early. Take notes each time you speak with someone and get their name and number. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be confident in yourself.

Mary

Just make sure you find the right school visit the campus. Find out all the avaible finacical help that there is at the school, ask for help when needed.

Gordon

First off i would recommend discussing pros and cons of the schools available to the student. dont be to choosey but dont choose too fast. its a long stretch and be ready for it, if your not it will be a waste of your time. Dont decide on a degree plan right away, there is alot out there, get your feet wet and test the water before you jump in head first. College should be a fun experience, but it is definately comparable to a full time job. (if attending full time) Education is definately the key to future acheivements, it can unlock alot of doors to you so dont be afraid to open more than one. :)

Clara

I have been able to work my schedule to fit in school, kids, work, and a little bit of a personal life. For me using online classes is a big benefit for me. I am a single mom and have to be able to juggle everything at once. When I have trouble at school I use the tutors to help me understand.

Randi

I believe that it is very important for parents to make sure that the college or university suits their childrens likes and hobbies. I personally have found it a lot easier to adjust to the university because there is so much here that I have in common with. I think that location is everything. Personally, I am going to a small school, the closest airport is at least an hour and a half a way. If you are going to send your child off far, it is very reassuring to know that if something is to happen, they can easily get home. I also think that it is important to chose an establishment where you know that the professors really do care about their students. I love that I am able to form a good academic relationship with my professors. It allows me to recieve efficient feedback and great connections for when I graduate.

Jacob

Make sure that you go and visit each campus you are interested in to see how it fits you and your needs. Too many people make the mistake of only looking at a campus that has big-time athletic programs or big-time academic ratings. Sometimes though, the school that is right for you is the school that makes you feel at home the most. Do not write off a school because of its size or its lack of exposure, because sometimes, it is that small college that affords you the best opportunities. I am speaking from experience. I made the mistake of writing off a school because I had not heard much about it and wanted to go to a big-time school, but now I am glad I ended up here because the class sizes suit me perfectly and I never get lost in the shuffle.

Zachary

Understanding the school curriculum regarding your degree plan.

Tim

Finding the right college is a crucial decision because you a person wants to succeed in life. The right college needs to have a good environment, good studies and even the course of study a person wants. You need to use every resource in school so you can graduate with a degree suited for your needs. If you need help, ask and you shall recieve.

Daniel

Eastern New Mexico University has a lot to offer in looking for a four year university. Eastern has a lot of programs for a degree. Eastern has many clubs and organizations that focuses on the students.

Jaime

Go where you want to go. Don't let anyone decide your future except for you! Do what will ultimately make you happy and what you think is best. Look at all your options carefully because 4 years is a long time and you want to love it!!! College is a life changing experience, its some of the best years of your life and it flies by, so live it to all that it can be.

Emma

A healthy attitude toward college is a must in order to be successful. Some times it is hard to be motivated to choose a college, or even to consider to go to college. So try to see a big picture. Think about the benefits and rewards you will get if you go to college. Think of what you would like to become, or what type of college would be best suitable for you. I would strongly recommend to surf in the internet to find different colleges and see what they offer, and read about it so you can get aquainted with them. Or you might want to inquire with your friends about the college. College can reveal your hidden talents. Of course, your scholastic abilities are not directly bestowed upon you by God. Neverthless, the talents you have are unique to you and many times you do not even know that until you discover that in college. Don't set yourself up for disaster by thinking that you are simple not capable to make it in college. In any college you choose, it will teach you a variety of subjets that will enrich your understanding of the world around you.

Alison

When choosing a college, look for one that fits your lifestyle, not just one that will look good on a resume. If you like life to be fast-paced look for one in a big city, but if you like being around friendly people, pick a smaller school. When you get to school, participate in the orientation time because it's one of the best opportunities to make new friends. Don't be scared to talk to classmates and to start networking there, and if possible (if the class isn't too large) start making contacts among your professors. They are some of your best resources.