Eastern Washington University Top Questions

Justine

Justine, I know how afraid you are. I know how you feel like you need him in order to survive. At the same time, I know how you feel like its impossible to breathe because you're with him. I know how torn you feel, and for that I am so sorry. Justine, think about something. Your friends have all left, your family hardly sees you, your grades are dropping, and your giving up your future just to be with him. Girl, what happened to you? Justine, please leave him. Please stop breaking yourself just because you convince yourself that you love him; just because you convince yourself that he loves you. He doesn't deserve you. You are so smart, and ambitious, and you have so much to offer. For the sake of your sanity, I beg you. to stand up for yourself. Go to school, make some friends, reach for your future, and remember to smile once in a while. Life is so much brighter without him. College is wonderful, you'll love it. I promise. So please Justine, stop hurting yourself because of "love." You're so much better than that. And please, remember to smile.

Shonda

Do not hold yourself back because of a boyfriend/girlfriend, because you feel guilty for leaving behind your friends and family, just go out and do what's best for you. Get involved, and know that high school is nothing like college. Be open to new things, meeting a lot of culturally diverse people, and don't be afraid to branch out. Just because someone means a lot ot you now, doesnt mean they willl always be a big part of your life. Sometimes friends grow apart and that is ok! Don't be afraid.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself senior year I would tell myself to work hard, and don’t give up. I would tell myself to establish better studying habits, and eating habits. I would tell myself to stop being lazy and take a walk, go to the gym, and read a good book. I would tell myself that I did an excellent job at making friends. The friends I made in high school I consider to be my life long friends, and hope to keep them around forever. I would have told myself that college is not a place to be messing around, go to school, get your education, and start your career. I would have told myself to do Running Start to save money. College is a wonderful experience and I hope that everyone can have the chance to further their education.

Makayla

If I could talk to my high school senior self and give some helpful tips on what I know about college now, it would be a very simple piece of adivce; the only person who controls your success is YOU. In college you meet tons of people. Some people are very focused on their studies, and some simply are not. You will probably become friends with both types of people. At times the individuals who are not so focused on school will be the more entertaining, fun ones to be around. It's your choice whether to study when you should, or to go out when you have the free time. However, your choices often reflect on your success, and your choices only. It is not your friends, your parents, or even your professors responsibility to make sure you succeed. If you want to do well in school and have a successful life, it is your job to make sure you do so! Success comes from your own dedication and hard work, so make sure you make smart choices throughout your college career.

Sage

GET AS MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AS POSSIBLE! It doesn't seem bad until you are actually in college. The debt is suddenly a heavy weight hanging above your head that will always be there until you find a way to pay for it. It may seem dreadful, boring, or even not urgent, but you must go out there and apply for every single one possible! College life itself is not so bad, the only advice I would give about it is to just put yourself out there and make friends! College is not just about academics, it's about making connections too!

Kimberlie

Believe in yourself. You are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. Life will be hard, harder than you can imagine but it will be good, beyond what you can even dare to dream. Do not give up, do not be afraid. Push yourself. Rejection will happen. Accept this, learn from it and move on. Do not stop, do not ever stop. Always look for opportunities. Be careful when second guessing your dreams, they have been with you this long and are not likely to change much. Don’t imagine them, reach for them. Apply for scholarships, keep volunteering. The more experience as a volunteer you get now the better you options will be later. Know that it is alright to feel overwhelmed, and that this does not make you weak or broken. You are allowed to make mistakes, you will learn from them, dust yourself off and keep going. Doubting yourself will only make it take longer to realize in the end you had the strength to continue all along. Believe in yourself.

Adelia

If I could go back in time and talk to my highschool self as a senior I would tell myself to have taken more AP classes and to have worked harder in order to get better grades. I would have also had accepted my previous college acceptance to Cal State Fullerton instead of having gone to a community college and transferring to California Baptist University. I would have decided as a senior that I want to be a history teacher instead of changing my mind. I would tell myself to change my study habits and to not procastinate. I would also tell myself to build better relationships with my teachers so that I could ask for letters of recommendation and to be more involved in school by joining clubs. I would have gone straight to a four year university and applied for internships while attending college in hopes of getting good job recommendations to apply for jobs.

Avery

As is the case with most teenagers, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life during high school. I knew that I enjoyed working with others, playing volleyball and writing, but that was all I had to go on. Knowing this, I decided to take two years to save money and figure out what type of job would fit me the best. During those two years, I didn't do much except work like a dog and save every penny I could. When I finally found my calling and attended college last year, I didn't realize how much money was required of me. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to learn how to budget since no one ever taught me how to effectively. If I had built a budgeting foundation early on, I feel that I would be in a better position today financially. I would also tell my future self to be careful about finding roomates through Craigslist. It wasn't the best idea I've ever had, that's for sure.

Cheyanne

I would tell myself to save every penny I earned and apply for every single scholarship out there even if it seems rediculous. I would tell myself that I don't need to by those tickets to the 30 Seconds to Mars concert and that I don't need to pack everything I own because there is simply just not enough room for all of it at college.

Liz

If I could go back to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to not feel too shy or afraid. I would tell myself to try and get out there more. Do more things around campus, meet new people, and involve myself in more clubs. I would also say that even though I spent my entire 4 years studying all the time it was well worth it in the end, as I am going to get my masters degree in the fall.

John-Henry

Going back I would tell myself to work on being more physicall fit and spend an extra hour to study outside of class. Another point of advice would be to save more money as I worked. I would also apply for scholorships during my senior year and after high school was over. Academics and money are both things that are very important throughout college and points that I wish I had focused on more.

Know how you thought senior year was totally unimportant and a useless waste of time? It wasn't and you should feel bad for slacking off. Your GPA gets you scholarships and qualifies you for additional aid from universities, who, by the way, look at your senior year grades in comparison to the rest of your grades and may decide not to admit you if there is a noticeable decline. If you're gonna slack off, do it freshman year, or even better, not at all.

Wayne

Look at you, you're sixteen going into running start and thinking evrything is going to go great, get a couple years of college done in highschool, get your bachelors by age of twenty and be off on your way to making your fortune. Well it's not going to work the way you've planned, first of all don't follow that girl to college, it will only end up in divorce in about 6 more years and belive me you don't want any of that. Don't take a break from school, power through and put everything else to the side, school shold now be your number one focus from here on out. Don't fill your schedule with worthless classes for an easy grade, push your self and take on the challenge of those classes you fear. You're only young once, take advantage of it; get involved in everything your school has to offer and make the most of college while your there. I can tell you now the alternative is not so great, that quater break will turn into 6 years and college is less fun and much harder with a mortgage to pay.

Yelena

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice I would gladly take that opportunity. There would be many things I would like to tell myself and the first one is not to be afraid to ask questions. I’m not a very outgoing person at times and it can be hard for me to go and ask if I need help with something, in fact I kind of got through high school without having to go and ask for help. But college/university is a different playing field. There were many things I didn’t know about regarding tuition, majors, books, and just generals about the program I was in. I would off saved myself a lot of time if I went and asked someone instead of looking for the answers myself. Another piece of advice I would give myself is not to worry as much. Everything will fall into place without me sitting up at nights thinking too much about it. If I knew some of these things I believe that my transition from high school to college would have been much eaiser. But at least in the end I did figure these things out.

Suad

I wishes this scholarship ,I very need fro this ,like the study

Georgeann

I would definitely tell my self how important a degree is. Being a high school student always made me feel the smart kids were nerds and the cool kids didn't go to class or just passed to graduate. Now that I am older and wiser, I wish I was one of the nerds. Looking back now they were not nerds just smart with a plan to make something of their lives. As a parent I have always told my children the most important thing in life is your education. Just because you do well and study does not make you a nerd. Study and study hard make school your first priority because with that degree that you will earn you can do whatever you want in life. With a degree, you will be successfull. Your degree is so important and stays with you forever, nothing in this world and no person can ever take it away from you.

roger

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior. I would let me know about funds, staff of the college and course i wanted to take to be successful. I would tell me about fund like scholarship, grants and any other organization to help me. I think this is the most important because every needs help to fund college. I would tell me about the staff to make sure that the staff is doing what they can to teach you what it going to be like instead of just looking at me and collecting a check for being there. Lastly it would be is the course cause you want something that you will want to do for a couple of years. I look at different course to do but I will do something working with my hands. This are things I should look at when I start filling out applications.

The first move i would make my senior year, would be to work for college funding and create a savings account for college emergencies including living exspenses, bills, books and tuition, and transportation. By doing that it would of made situations less stressful and money wouldnt be the issue of a college education being dropped. Another i would change is creating good time management skills, and learning how to use my time wisely. This would have made me a better college student my freshman year and build good work ethic skills. Financially i would of changed myself, in convincing to apply for more scholarships and grants. This would of helped not just financially but also in creating writing skills, and build my communication skills through the scholarship questioning. Last, preparing myself in a career i would enjoy doing and putting more thought into it would've be a huge change that could of created easier advising planning and in coming into college with a mind set of already knowing what i woudl like to study in college. If i changed that, i could of studied ahead in a field i enjoy and understood the basics of that career i chose.

QUEEN

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself the advice to start college immediately after high school. By choosing to enter the working world, one gets stuck at dead end jobs that will not lead to real success or a substantial income. I would tell myself that as a teenage mother, dealing with a baby in daycare while going to school is much easier than going back to school years down the road when my children are grown and have their own agendas. I would promise myself that even though I will miss out on many things while my son was still a baby, I would have more energy to cope with the high demands of school and family, and I would be able to make up for much of the lost time by being around much more once I have a good career with a good salary. I would tell myself that I will have to sacrifice many things during school, but in the end it will all be worth the hardship because I will be happy with my career, my family, and my quality of life.

Nicoel

I started college in 2007 after I graduated high school. I grew up in a small town where I was somewhat sheltered. Being a shy person, I easily opened up to other students and met many great people. I was also on the Universities Varsity Basketball team where I met some of my best friends from. Balancing school, basketball and a job was a large task, but looking back today I feel blessed and grateful to be able to make it past these adversities. I graduated in 2012 with a bachelors in Biology, as well as receiving two years of All Conference Honors in basketball. I came out of school owing no money and without being in debt! College is an extremely important time in someone’s life to learn who they are and what they want to do with their lives. I would give anyone the advice to take advantage of any opportunity that comes their way. Put yourself in extracurricular and volunteer activities. Learn who you are as a person. Put yourself out there and take it all in. It goes by fast, so don't let it pass you by without at least a slam dunk.

Carli

Take it day by day. Make sure to do your homework right away and in class, if possible. That way, you can focus on socializing with new friends and experiencing new adventures with no stress. Remember to take a day or two to yourself for a full day of binge eating and Netflix watching to regroup. Don't stress about boys; they're not worth it. The best thing you can do for yourself, is just live for yourself. Always say, "Yes" when faced with an opportunity for adventure, future success, or friendships. Give the mean people a second chance and if your opinion doesn't change, you don't have to be friends with them. If anyone tells you something bad about yourself, reply calmly with why they're wrong and walk away. Stay in touch with those who move and most importantly with your family. Your support system will always be there so make sure to take care of it in major ways. Most of all, have fun, enjoy life, and regret nothing.

Charlene

I would tell myself to take high school seriously. By that i mean taking advance classes because they do help with college level classes. Plus they count for college credits and could've save me money.

If I were to go back to talk to myself as an high school senior.I would tell myself to be more actitve in school and outside of school to join more than one club or play a sport. Yes, you might get scared and think what if im not good enough to do these sortes of things. Trust and believe in yourself and you can do anything you want be brave, outgoing because this is your senior year try new things you think are not for you and they just might be for you. The thing about your senior year is that it is going to fly by so fast then you are going to be like I could have done this, I could have done that but guess what you didn't because you were to scared to try something new and that is going to weigh on your shoulders. When its time for you to go to college trust me you are going want to get involed because that's how you make friends the kind of friend that have your interest and are going to be by your side. Remember that this is your senior year.

Prioritize your task better.

Jacquelynn

I would tell myself to volunteer a lot, and to get involved with every activity the school offers, because schools look for that in applications, and for scholarships. Also, I would tell myself to apply to any school I have an interest in, because some students get the scholarships to out of state schools that allow them to attend and enjoy themselves. Finally, I would say that websites like Campus Discovery are a great resource to look at when choosing a school to attend, or to discover that a school isn't as much of a fit as I had originally thought.

Max

If I was to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to research the school and find out everything that it offers. Also, I would say to research and apply for any/ all scholarships that are offered to be able to afford the education tution costs. It is better to try and win scholarships instead of paying all tuition with loans that you have to pay back. Another good advice would be is to save up any money that you can for the school year, which will help for school books, tution, food, rent and any other expenses that may come up. Having some extra money saved up is always good so you will not go into as much debt. Finally, try to find at least a part time job while you are in school so you will not be completely stressed out by school. Work can allow a small break to get away from school work. Always do your best and do not give up and start all assignments early and do not procrastinate.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Start applying for scholarships now instead of waiting for the military to accept you. Also keep your options open. Life can change in a moments notice so don't be upset when you don't get your first choice or even your second. Eventually everything will work out and when that happens, don't make mistakes that you know you'll regret. Life gets better after high school, I promise. So keep your head up and work your butt off so that you don't have to pay an arm, a leg, and your first-born child to get into college.

Katy

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell myself to appreciate the people I have in my life then and much as I do now. My high school classmates that went to the same college as me all impacted my transition from a small town to a University, and I miss the people that didn't come with me too. I would tell myself that those 2012 graduates won't be in my life forever, so make as many memories with them as possible. Not just my classmates, but the teachers that impacted my life for the better as well. I would also advise my high school self to save some more of the money I earned, because it would be really nice to have some of that now and what I thought was saving money wasn't nearly enough. And I would tell my high school self that everything does work out in the end with college to calm my nerves with financial problems.

Shelnila Chin

I was such a stubborn student in high school. I took it easy but also took advantage of the free classes. I took AP classes not to raise my GPA like other students but to challenge and prepare myself for college classes. If I were to go back to my senior year after experiencing almost 2 years in college, I would first slap myself in the back of the head for not taking my last year more seriously. It would be nice to think that I could go back in time and change what I did not take advantage of including the many scholarships and possible college credit from passing the AP tests. If there is one piece of advice I could give my past self it would be to not give up just because I do not think I can, personally I think I settled when I know I could have achieved so much more.

Viche

“College is fun, but it’s also very stressful, everything is expensive, you’re on your own and you will often question your ability to go on. It’s an experience that will change you in unimaginable ways as you will transform into an adult. You will lose friends, but gain new ones, you will question old habits and values as you see the world from new perspectives.” This is what I would tell myself during senior year. I went through many ups and downs during my freshman year of college and because I love poetry often looked up quotes and rhymes to brighten me up. “The task ahead of us is never as strong as the power behind us” is what got me through, so if I could emphasize anything to my senior year self, it would be that quote. “Life is characterized by your journey, along with trials, failures, and Successes College is a journey with a fulfilling promise at the end of it, so no matter what know you can accomplish it and it’ll be worth it.”

If given the opportunity to ward my former, younger, dumber self I would provide him with two couplets; a dual mantra. The first is “GET INVOLVED.” There is nothing more rewarding than engaging in something novel and worthwhile. On paper, it seems like reaching the 10th Prestige on Call of Duty and interning for the Democratic Party are equally valuable. This is a delusion. Also, run for student office if only to wipe that smug look off the face of student office types if you win (Or nourish said smugness making things incalculably worse if you lose). The second is “BLEH GIRLS.” Whenever you encounter a “girl” immediately flee in the opposite direction. This will prove a tad burdensome and disruptive in classroom situations but will ultimately pay huge dividends. They comprise roughly half of the school population, so will seem omnipresent (yes, like a deity). And contrary to popular depiction (speaking normally) they are constantly singing that siren song from the Odyssey. You may attempt the Odysseus defense; i.e. attach yourself to the bow of the boat to avoid being swayed by the dulcet tones. The major drawback to this is navigating a sail boat on dry land.

CharDae

As a senior in high school I tried to prepare myself as much as possible for the college experience. Already I was very responsible in my academics and never needed my teachers to "hold my hand" so to speak; I took care of my business as a student. I knew that I would have to apply these same skills in college life everyday and I've done so. I took the time to buy books on entering college and learned some tips and tricks to help me as I made my transition. I know that having read these books I definitely went into college with some outside knowledge of what to expect in the beginning; and I did! I wouldn't go back and tell myself anything different. I knew college would be challenging, that I would have to put myself out there and get involved, and that I would be surrounded by good and bad influences. I didn't let anyone have any negative effect on myself and my work. I sucessfully survived my first quarter of college on my own with my own words as motivation to do the best I can.

After finishing high school, I immediately began attending a notable private school. However I chose to do this soley because I thought it was expected of me. Soon after the school year began, I realized that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had made a mistake by not listening to my heart and was left struggling through my first semester. Afterwards, I chose to take time away from college in order to learn more about myself and what I want for my future. I spent my year off working two jobs, earning money, and then eventually traveling all over the world. While traveling abroad I realized that it's okay to take time away from school. We all work at our own pace and some of us need a little more time to discover our purpose. Once I returned to the states I was enthusiastically ready to return to college. If I could give advice to my former self I would tell myself to follow my heart, take the time I need to find my passion, and have faith that eventually everything will work out just the way it was meant to be.

You are about to head through some very major changes and challanges. Brace yourself and stay focused. You have an amazing support system who will continue to push you to do well in school and finish. Take their advice! You will change your major a few times. You will make friends and lose friends. Most important thing is to stay focused on what you love. School. You cannot succeed like you dream of if you cannot stay true to what you know is real, that education is important.

As a high school senior, a world of opportunities is at your feet. These opportunities may seem confusing and the choices may seem unending. For me, the most difficult decision was applying for a four-year university or a junior college. Many pressures were upon me to decide, and I had many factors to consider. Should I continue my athletic career alongside my academics? Will transferring to a four-year university be easy after completing two years at junior college? While location was an easy decision, as I needed to be close to my family and in-state tuition is much more feasable, I still couldn't decide if my hard work in college prep classes would be put to its best use at a junior college. As a junior in college, I know now that I made the right decision. It is complicated to decide your future at such a young age, and knowing that you can change your mind one year at a time eases the pressure. I would tell my high school senior self to look into colleges that offer credits that can be easily transferred, as you never know when you will change your mind.

Seth

I would tell myself that time will go by very quickly while in school and to dedicate myself to my education. The social life is such a minor part of the overall reason for attending college and that the education is for the rest of my life to provide for myself and family. I would tell myself to expect more time intensive classes than high school and not to let them slide in order to go have fun. Education typically had to be paid back, so don't wast my own money by taking classes I don't need or having to retake classes. I would also be sure to say not to be intimidated by the professors, that they are there to assist, and that by asking questions shows your interest in your own education. There really is no such thing as a dumb question if you have already thought it through and are unsure or don't know the correct answer. Most of all, make it a fun game with yourself on how to have the best grades.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships to help fund my first year in college. I would also tell myself that the transition into college is really not that scary and that the first day of class is really not that bad. It's actually exciting to meet new people and be taught with students of all ages. Another piece of adive I would give myself is to get enough sleep during the week so I do not get worn down and end up getting sick because we all know college can be a stressful time in our life. Lastly, I would tell myself that college is not all about drinking and partying. You can have a lot of fun on the weekends without going out and making a foul of yourself at a party.

Put a small amount of time aside every night to study or do homework. Get involved with clubs and other extracurricular activities. Don't live in the dorms; they are fun but too expensive. Live at home if you can, an an apartment with lots of roommates if you can't. The loans with getcha. If you're going to take overload classes, decide asap and take them with the GECRs, not the harder classes.

Don't worry about what college to go to, go to Eastern Washington University because it has a friendly atmosphere and you won't get lost because it isn't that big. Start on scholarships early. Eastern Washington University is the best choise because it's cheaper than Gonzaga, Whitworth, and WSU but it is just as good academicly.

College has been important to me because it has been providing me with the knowledge I need to be successful in life and it has helped me to work on improving my work ethic and time management skills. Eventually everybody has to move away from mom and dad and learn to provide for themselves and stay alive and so far college has helped me to acclimate myself to life on the outside of my parents house and support. Since I have started college, I have had to learn about keeping myself healthy, managing my time, managing money so that I don't run out at some point and end up asking my parents for money, and responsibility when it comes to turning in rent on time, paying the bills, or keeping my schedule straight so I don't forget to do something important. College has been a valuable experience because whenever I have run into some trouble there are people there whose job involves helping students with these same problems.

I have recieved many different experiences throughout my college experience that have shaped the person I am do. When I decided to attend this school I did not know anyone so I decided to join the rugby team. Joining the team was one of the best things that I did my first year of college. On the team I not only learned what it means to be a member of a fast paced sport but also that school comes first. School right now is my number one focus and I have placed all my time into accomplishing this goal. I have also taken away a new sense of tolerance to other cultures and have learned a great deal about the countries in which these cultures come from. Additionally my study habits have also changed alot from when I was in highschool. I have learned to focus more, and take detailed notes that will help me throughout my life and the career that I go into. Learning about my major has shed new light onto the industry and helped me decide on a career that I would like to recieve once I graduate from this university.

I’ve always envisioned myself as a college graduate. However, recently the attainment of this goal has become increasingly meaningful. I began college after graduating high school, but left early on after I had my first son. I was fortunate to stay home for the next decade to raise my amazing children. I am ecstatic to call myself a returning college student. Now my ambition to complete college is unstoppable. I love my time spent on campus. The intellectually stimulating environment suits me and I enjoy interacting with fellow students. Two novel results of my venture back to school have been my sense of determination to succeed and my appreciation for the knowledge that I am able to gain. At this point in my life, my understanding of the paramount importance of education sets me apart. While my near perfect grades are rewarding, it is the opportunity to learn and grow that now motivate me. Having previously overcome numerous struggles in my adult life, my drive to graduate from college and extrapolate from the experience as much knowledge as possible is fervent. I don’t question my ability to succeed; I know that with enough work and dedication I will.

I have received many valuable experiences from attending college. First, I was given the opportunity to make lifelong friendships with my classmates, coworkers, and professors. My classmates and I would spend long hours studying for exams and we created strong relationships while uniting together against our common enemy-the exam. Although I considered classwork my greatest enemy during my undergraduate education, it has transformed into my greatest blessings during graduate school. Without the knowledge and work ethic that was instilled in me during my undergraduate years, I would not stand a chance in my current graduate program. In addition, I have developed professional mentor-mentee relationships with my professors that enabled me to gain acceptance into graduate school. My main mentor, Dr. Anderson, was extremely influential and encouraging during my graduate school application process. My graduate school experience has provided me with a different set of valuable experiences. I am learning the fine art of balancing time for my family, school, and myself. In conclusion, my college education has given me the opportunity to create lasting friendships, to be guided by wise mentors, and to develop the ability to critically acquire knowledge-all of which are valuable beyond measure.

Tanner

After some family set backs with my great grandma died and my parents divorcing, my college experience has been well over what I had expected. Not only have I made more friends than I did in High School but I have also stepped beyond my personal bubble. Before college, I was always the quiet kid that was independent and followed more than lead. College brought the child out of me and opened up my eyes to all the possibilities a guy like me could have. I learned more in my first history class than I did all four years of my High School. College classes soon turned me into a strong leader, which landed me a leadership opportunity with a great part-time job. I am now working two part-time jobs during school leading groups on rafting trips, kayaking adventures, and even snowshoeing hikes during the winter. Then I started making friends everyday which soon led me to my girlfriend. If I had not gone to college then i would probably be working minimum wage in a small town at Subway, reserved, and hooked to my TV. My faith has also flourished through Jesus Christ. College really changed me!

My college experience gave the best of both sides of what college should be I believe. I learned and completed a great area of study, and also felt socially part of the campus. My professors in the accounting program were all top professionals who came to class with real world experience and they always shared that knowledge with us. I am very pleased for the education that I received with how little my tuition was when compared to most other universities in the state. I feel that I got an equal, if not better, accounting degree than other public college students and even on par with those students from private schools. College was valuable to attend because in today's tough economic times, students need to work harder and strive for more than ever before. It isn't enough to just blend in with the crowd and breeze by, but students need to motivate themselves to be more than average and stand out from the crowd.

When I came to college I had no idea that the thing that would ultimately change me most and for the better was joining a fraternity. I entered college with the same stereotypes of "frats" as nearly everyone else, but met a small group of Fraternity Men who have shaped me into the young man I am today. I now look back on the time I wasted not in my fraternity, and look at those who like me came in thinking that, but then stuck to their guns. A college education with no real extracurriculars, not even necessarily Greek Life, is nothing but a race towards a little piece of paper. I have learned and grown many times over more from the experiences from my fraternity than from taking 18 credits of subjects that ultimately don't help me towards my end goals. I am lucky to have found the greek system at my university, it helped me find my major, my purpose, and the love of my life.

Karissa

I have only experienced one year in college but already it has opened me to new adventures and new people I never would have gotten to experience in my life without going to college. I am caught in a wonderful friendship with who is my new best friend and family member and I have never been happier in my life till now. Home is not a very happy place for me and I have realized, being at school, that it is okay to smile and mean it again.

What I've gotten out of college is that there are a million and one paths to take in life, and that more often than not, college is the best way to take the first step. Attending college shouldn't just be about doing whats expected of you. College is valuable in that the things you learn and the experiences you have will quite literally be there throughout your career. College is what you make of it. If you work hard and squeeze as much meaning out of it as possible, it can only benefit you later on.

By attending college I have learned a lot about myself that I previously did not know. High School was so easy that I didn?t have to try and when I entered college it was a rude awakening. It forced me to be organized and work my hardest on every assignment that I received because it was no longer going to be easy for me. I have learned in college that anyone can do anything they want to and put their mind to.

Carli

The most prominant thing I have gained from college is confidence. I have been able to break out of my shell to meet new people in such a way that I feel accepted and wanted. This is a huge feat for me, because my whole life I have been more of a homebody and felt out of place. I've gained this knowledge in a grand way, however. I still have plenty of time and motivation to focus on my school work, yet still keep up with my social life, eating, and sleeping. Confidence is a wonderful feeling.