Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

I wanted to write to you and give you a few words of advice about some things you are going to encounter before and in college. Take more time filling out scholarship and grant applications. Doing this will mean less time with friends, but it wil help you avoid increasing student loan debt. Once at Edinboro, be open to meeting new people and having new experiences. Do not call home the day after you move in begging to go home, that wasted time. Take that time and help others move in, or introduce yourself to people in your hall. You can go to the gym with your roommates when they go, which would open you up socially. Entertaining the idea of pledging a Sorority wasn't at the top of your list, but when you turned twenty-one that changed. Join before you turn twenty-one. Don't spend so much time socializing. Your grades suffered. It's normal to have a rough semester, but you bring your grades up. These three things impacted your life in many ways. You do owe money for the education you gained, but the memories will be with you for years to come.

The 'college experience' has presented me with a great many things including life lessons and a peek at what things can be like in the real world. In college in order to move forward you really have to try and open yourself up first be open to new experiences and adventures that could happen around campus. Out of my personal experience I've received a few good friends who unknowingly taught me new things and have opened up new outlets within myself that I knew were there I just ignored them. I myself personally have also become much more outspoken. It has been valuable to attend simply because it is an entirely new learning experience from highschool, in the begining your mindset begins to shift over slowly and you may not realize it until someone mentions something to you but you grown in more ways than one. Having to balance your own finances and class work and friends is very viable to how things will be when you start your career choice or chosen job. Attending college is a learning experience that I am glad I followed through with.

Having the ability to go back in time and give myself valuable advice that I have since learned would have helped me greatly in making the decisions that lead to college. First of all, I would make sure to apply to various colleges. There are always improtant things about a college that can be easily overlooked before being accepted. The most improtant advice that I would give myself would have to deal with financial aid. Taking the time to sit down and write a few personal and well thoughout essays are not as bad as they come across. The hard work pays off in the end. Find every resource for scholarships or grants that you can. The last advice that I would give myself would entail getting involved and becoming the person that you want people to see you as. If you gain your self confidence in high school, that confidence and motivation will carry you through the rest of your life. Never be afraid to stand out and share your opinions and beliefs. Colleges and employers look for individuals who know who they are and what they stand for.

I have just started my college experience, and even though it has been an up hill battle with my financial hurdles It has also been exciting. I never thought I was good enough to go to school or that I would ever amount to anything. When My sister passed away it made me realize that life is too short so I decided after exploring my options to apply for college. It has been such an awarding experience so far. The education and skills I am receiving and will continue to receive are priceless. Knowing that after I graduate the opportunities I will have to experience a better life for myself is the greatest gift I could ask for. I am so excited for what the future brings. With out this opportunity to attend college and the experiences i've had while attending, I would have never been able to become the better person I want and know I can be. I believe in my heart that my education is one of the most valuable things I can have, and I thank God everyday for continuing to open those doors for me. It's the best decision I've ever made.

In high school, I always had a habit of letting the little things seem much bigger than they actually were. I think everyone does this to an extent, and in doing so they forget about what really matters in the grand scheme of things. I would always worry way too much about what everyone thought of me, regardless of how well I knew or even cared to know them. I still think that one should always try to convey himself in the best light possible, but not at the expense of a true and honest personality. I also used to look at very minor problems throughout the day as major ordeals, which seems to be a prevalent trait within today's youth. For instance, one bad thing such as forgetting to bring in a homework assignment could set me up with a terrible mood for the remainder of the day, and make improving things much more difficult. In short, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would probably tell myself to prioritize better, as things can really come into perspective once you're in college.

The advice I would give myself: enjoy myself, apply for scholarships now before it's too late and bring snow pants. Studying is highly important, but college only happens once, so make the best of it while you can. Also while you can apply for scholarships, the older you get the harder it is to get them. I don't know how many times I've had to decline a scholarship because I'm not in high school. You may think they are always abundant now, but in a few years you'll be struggling to pay for it all. As for snow pants, it's as cold as they say up here, the snow is always blowing. Your transition to college is actually quite easy. You are and have always been driven, and you have always went out and got what you needed without hesitation. You do this so well people often wonder if you ever take a break. Keep up the good work and keep thinking and you'll be better then fine. As a final word of advice don't let this encounter become a paradox. Instead use this encounter as incentive to continue your good work.

College searching can be very stressful for the highschool graduate as well as the parents. I would definitely say to start looking during your Junior year of highschool. Take it slow. Visit a few of the colleges you're interested in going to. The only way to truly understand and know if it's the college you want to attend is to physically go there. Most colleges will hype up their campus and such on the internet to get students to attend, but you will only know the truth if you go there and see it yourself. Make sure you start saving up a little money here and there from paychecks (students and parents). A little money at a time can add up and help you with the cost of room/board, extra food, dorm supplies, books, etc. If you become really interested in a college, perhaps visit it a second time and take the time to attend a class to see what the classroom environment is like. Most importantly, don't stress while looking for a college. Apply to many and go from there to figure out which one you will attend. Good luck.

As a single mother of two kids, returning to school was a very challenging yet fullfilling experience. I was new to the city, and had to start over with my life from scratch. Returning back to school became the best option for me at the time, although the idea that I would be older than most of my classmates haunted me. As I transitioned into a student, I began to realize how valuable education is. It provided an opportunity for me to find myself, advance in life, and also allowed me to provide my kids with a positive example. I have always instilled in my kids the importance of education, and wanted to lead by example. After finally aquiring my AA degree at Valencia Community College, I decided to continue and enrolled in UCF, where I am majoring in Psychology. College experience has taught me that I can do anything that I put my mind to, the importance of family and friends, to be more openminded, to appreciate diversity, and most importantly, that it is never too late to continue or pursue your education.

I would first look at what kind of educational programs the college offers that will support your major. If you cannot get the appropriate education for what you want to major in, then you need to find another college. It needs to have an extensive program that best fits your needs. I would also look at tuition and housing prices. The university I attended made it very easy for students to apply for financial aid, and that is how I was able to attend. If you cannot afford the tuition, look into financial aid and apply for scholarships. These really help. To make the most of your college experience, make sure that you GO TO CLASS! You need to attend classes to get the information you will need to pass. Also, do not overwhelm yourself in any given semester. If you can only handle 12 credits instead of 18, then just take 12. It does not do you any good to be so burned out that you can't retain anything. Remember...you are in college to learn and prepare for your future so make the most of your time there!

Stop dragging your feet around and go and mingle on the Edinboro page on Facebook. Do not stress and become depressed because you think you won't be able to handle college and the stresses that might come with it. To tell you the truth, it is going to be so much better than high school ever was. You get to meet your roommate, who turns out to be like the sister you always wanted. Yes, there will be boys and drama, but you get over that. Do not start smoking cigarettes, you'll quit soon after and it would be a waste of your precious money. The cable jack in your room doesn't work because the switch down in the basement is turned off. Do not stop taking your medicine just because you don't want to visit the school therapist. Yes, she is new to her job, but I think you would make it out of bed more often if you continue on the medicinal path that you are already on. You'll get sick a few times and it will suck, but deal with it. You're a big girl. Call your mom more. Good luck.