Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

When I was in high school I was very worried about college. I thought it would be too hard and/or I'd make no friends. But all of my fears left as soon as I started. I realized there were hundreds of others that felt the same way. Choosing a school was the hardest, I took months and months trying to make sure I didn't pick the wrong school. In the end I chose the one that fit best. I understand a lot of people tell you not to look at the price when choosing your school and that is a good way to choose but let's be honest, money is an important factor in choosing schools. I would say, look at just the schools first and then look at the price 2nd. Also, join clubs of interest, get involved you'll meet so many others that have the same interests that you have. In order to have a great experience don't get too stressed, find your happy medium for time with friends or relaxing and studying. Finally, go in with a positve attitude things will work out better then you may think.

I started attending college in 2008. In the last two years I've taken classes in Intro accounting, Accounting Info Systems, Intro Psychology, Intro Sociology, and Art. I am currently enrolled in an Algebra and Human Biology class. My college experience has been bitter sweet. I've learned if you want it, go get it, don't just sit and wait for it to fall into your lap. Being a student who has zero parental contribution has been the most difficult. Entering college atmosphere after taking a year off school was also difficult, as I realized if you don't use the knowledge acquired in high school you tend to get "rusty" so to say (refering to Algebra). My college experience has taught me to be a self sufficient, strong willed student. If you give up because your studies are too difficult than you don't move forward, but if you fail and try again until you succeed, you prosper. I find college to be very valuable to me, for it has opened my eyes to many different careers and fields of study.

Dear Vanessa: You're about to enter the terrifying but exciting world of college. I know you think you're about to become a "real adult," however there are some things you don't know. The first and most important bit of advice is that, you do not have the answers for everything and you are not always right, and that is okay. You'll learn throughout your years in college and blossom as you should. You also need to know that no matter what age you are, you're going to experience mountains and molehills. How you deal with these mountains and molehills will help to mold you to who you are going to be. Don't overstress, everything always has a way working itself out in the end. The last bit of advice that I want to give you deals with time, you can't get any of it back, so make your own decisions and own them. At the end of the day, the only person you have the face, is the one in the mirror. I promise you, follow this advice and when you look at her later in life, she'll smile.

I have decided to attend a trade school simply because it has given me the opportunity to graduate at a faster pace than the traditional junior college. I am a 20 year old single parent of a 2 year old. I also work as a full-time administrative assistant/ customer service employee. I work 8-5 M-F and attend school 5:30-10:15 M-Th. In choosing a technical school I have currently lost a lot of time with my son, but he is my inspiration and our situation can only get better. My college has taught me how to act in the business world and has also given me the chance to share my knowledge with my fellow employees as well as managers. They have given me the tools to better myself in my current position. My boss sometimes asks me for help when it comes to programs such as Excel and Word. That makes me feel very proud of myself. It has been valuable to attend this particular school because the school schedule allows me to work and provide for my son as well as take major related courses.

Looking back on my first semester of college I can now understand what our teachers were trying to tell us, ?this is the start of our future.? At the time I thought it sounded like it had come from a hallmark card. After sitting through my first lecture though I really started to see that I was expected to know and be able to do certain things in classes to succeed. I panicked. How was I going to write seven pages or how to remember where the pancreas was? It meant I had to study harder than I had before. No more studying the night before a test. Once I got a hang of how to study and when to start studying things started to click. I was able to really comprehend what my teacher was teaching and able to use what I had learned outside of class. I felt confident enough to raise my hand and answer questions. I may not be sure where I will be twenty years from now but I have a feeling that if I stick to school and find something I?m good at and like doing I?ll be great wherever I am.

Make sure to look at every single detail about the school, asks plenty of questions and be absolutely positive that it is what you want. Parents remember its your child's choice and their wants, and students remember that you're parents are just trying to help you and they are sad that you are leaving. Check out ALL opprotunities for financial aid. Students fill out all of the scholarships that you can, I know that its a pain but will help out extremely well, you will be happy when you have that extra money to help. Money is scarce but don't fret everyone is poor in college, everyone gains weight, everyone losses themselves at some time, don't worry time will pass and you will look back and wonder why you worried. All the decisions you make now will make your like. Most and importantly HAVE FUN! NO REGRETS! p.s. mom and dad don't worry if believe that you raised an awesome child and that they can make good decisions. Let them grow, they will develop into wonderful young adults.

Deffently go up and look at the surrounding enviorment of the college before making the final desision. While your up there, dont be shy to join a club or get involved in something you care about, it helps tou find friends faster and friends that understand you and your intrests. If living in a dorm, dont be shy to meet the people around you. I know from experience its better to make friends around you than to make enemys. To make the best out of college, i say study just what your teachers tell you to, they aren't there to trick you or make you fail like highschool teachers, they really do want to see you pass. Dont take certin classes as a joke, even if the professor is easy. When it comes to test, he/she might be the hardest and you end up failing the class. Just dont be shy, try to make friends because having friends will make you feel confrontable in the enviorment and make sure you work hard on your classes and try your hardest to get good grades. GOOD LUCK !!

Let’s go back in time! Now this seems like something weird to say because it could never happen, right? Well, we could do what we’ve been told our whole lives and use our imagination, then it could be possible.If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to be more positive and get out there! In high school I didn’t have a very positive attitude and kept to myself. I was the kind of girl who set her goals way to high and then would get upset when I didn’t reach those crazy goals. I also didn’t really go out with friends and I wasn’t very comfortable talking to new people. In college you have to be positive, if you’re not positive you won’t accomplish anything. I didn’t make many friends due to my shyness. Not only do I wish I would have made more friends, but I also wish I had more practice talking to/in front of people because you do a lot of speaking in class; very nerve-racking!If I could have told myself this before going to college, I would have been prepared!

To find the right college, you need to be picky. Now, picky is not always the best way to go through life, but when picking a college, one can afford to be picky. It is necessary to look at aspects like size, teacher-student ratio, cost, location, the specific major you're looking into, housing options, and affordability among others. Think of it this way, if you are spending the next 4+ years of your life, wouldn't you want it to be in a place that you hold dear and love? Before you decide to go to a college, visit it! Take a walk around, breathe in the air, make sure that you can picture yourself in the environment. It is so important to go to a school that you love, and if you walk into a college-decision blindly, then it is almost guaranteed to set you up for an "experience" like none other! All I can say is that college is the best time of a person's life, and to make it the best, you have to pick the right type of college for you. Happy hunting!!!

If I had the opportunity to travel back in time and talk to my eighteen year old self about college, the first thing I would say is, "Find yourself." When I say this, I mean that just because everyone else may seem like they know what they want to do and where they want to go, doesn't mean that you have follow. My biggest mistake was attending the first and only college I applied to and then decided on a major that I wasn't 100% sure of. The best advice I could give my younger self is to take the time to decide what it is that really makes me happy. After much thought and growing up, I finally found a college and a major that suits me as a person. Not everyone is cut out for college right out of high school. Some people, including myself, need time to explore new options and discover what make them tick. This, I believe, it the ticket to success in finding the right college. Don't find a college that you need to fit into, find one that fits you.