Torrance, CA
El Camino Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend El Camino Community College District

Meredith

You will never learn how to swim if you just linger by the side of the pool. Plunge into college even if at first it seems you have to flail madly to stay afloat. There will be times when you will be submerged in work, when assignment after assignment will drag you to the very bottom of everything. Just focus on your next breath and you will survive it. In time, you will become stronger and you will wade above where you once struggled. If you stay in the water long enough, you will adapt to greater and greater challenges. Before you know it, you will be doing backstroke, sidestroke, freestyle, and butterflies back and forth across the pool. Just before you feel wholly comfortable in this environment, you will graduate. The swimming lesson will not end there. The pool of college is just a warmup. After graduation you will merely continue the same education... in the ocean.

My school serves a wide demographic of people. Classes here allow me to interact with people who have different backgrounds and values from my own and I feel that I grow as a person while I develop academically.

There seem to be a lot of things operating at the management level that do not make much sense. For example, new buildings are erected and flashy advertisements are made at the same time that vital programs are elliminated. The campus is constantly under renovation and most of the renovations seem counter-productive. After a month of relaying asphalt, the construction crews return only to undo their previous work and spend the next month working on landscape, which they then dig up and cover with asphalt once more. If I were an administrator, I would focus more on eductation.

Novelyn

Time really goes by quickly. As a high school senior what was I thinking? What was going through my head? I was a teacher in the making. I love children, everyone always said you ought to be a teacher, open your own daycare center. This was not in my heart. What I would tell myself would be follow your heart and soul. You are intelligent but you need the motivation of someone who will move you in the right direction. You are a great speaker and thinker. You should change your direction in life and got to a university.

El Camino Community College offers various services and programs to meet the needs for all types of students. Those who are U.S. Citizens, disabled, minorities, young or old. The Special Resource Center at El Camino has been a pivotal part for many students who are disabled, or who have learning concerns. The counselors there are more than happy to assist students with any issue and at any time. And the Department for Hard of Hearing Students offers exceptional services , such as interpreters, notetakers or typists for the Deaf students. Their service has been so valuable I can't express.

At this time in California, there are many budgets cuts that have ripped into the College system. At El Camino and other institutions as well, financial aide is hard to come by. Nearly 9000 students had to appeal their financial aide because they were turned down. And with budget cuts there are fewer classes. A few programs have also been cut in the counseling department, like CALWORKS and the Adult Re-Entry programs. These two programs especially effect the older student or the those with childcare concerns. Many programs students depended upon for special counseling, vouchers, and childcare assistance.

Sydney

El Camino is a truely a mixing pot-full of people from different socio/economic, religious, ethnic, and lifestyle backgrounds.A school which gives life to singers, artists, scientists, writers, and great leaders. I'm honored to part of a nationaly ranked debate team-a family-which has given me the tools of communication, confidence, and continuous intellectual stimulation. Its a school that provides the oppertunity to learn from a variety of disciplines, travel to far away countries (to experience other cultures), and to discover who you are. And all in a comfortable & secure atmosphere.

I was accepted to UCSD and several other schools post graduation. I choose El Camino because I needed the time & security to discover who I am. El Camino is unique because its given me the oppertunity to grow more mature&confident. El Camino isn't as stressful as other schools and its given me the time to do lots of volunteer work for my community. Being on the debate team is something I love to do&we compete at the national level. I wouldnt have had the time or energy to devote to debate anywhere else.

The Do's and Don'ts of College: Don't have so many expectations for college. Do live & experience every moment-because it's the unexpected that you cherish most. Dont' make excuses that you can't(won't) try something-you'll regret it. Do push yourself to move beyond your comfort zone-even if it's one baby step at a time. Dont' be afraid to make mistakes, its part of the growing up process Do remember to be yourself-no matter how tempting it is to become the person everyone else wants you to be. Don't think that the transition will be quick and smooth, its a bumpy ride full of potholes and gum that gets stuck to your shoe (trying to keep you down) Do bring roller blades(it will help you roll over tough patches), peanut butter(gum remover and great for late night munchies), and a compass(college campuses & life are confusing). Don't put so much pressure on yourself, the weight will have you looking like a hunchback Do remember who your real friends are-the ones who call,write,&hold your hair as you throwup

chase

Don't be lazy, most important thing to anybody in any area of study.

Don't be lazy, most important thing to anybody in any area of study.

The teachers are great I have loved almost every teacher I've had.

I think this goes with any school and that is not enough teachers and too many students.

I would tell myself three things: First I'd say that I should go to the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, but take the summer semester off and go to El Camino for sign language. That way I'd be able to balance both professions somewhat equally. Because now I realized that I could of taken classes this past summer and would have had more classes completed. Second I'd tell myself apply for more jobs before the recession gets worse. In the summer I applied to one or two jobs at a time and by the end of July, I realized it was really hard to even find a place hiring. I've been looking for a job for eight months now, but I'm not going to give up. I just wish I would of known it would be this hard. Last but not least, I'd tell myself not to give up on anything no matter what because I'll get through it all okay. Whether it's because of school, finding a job, or financial problems, it'll all end up just fine.

Well there wasn't much for me to know, I am only at El Camino for Sign Language Classes. My 4-year school is the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, an acting school in Hollywood. Because tuition is $33,000 and I didn't have the money for my second year, I decided to start on becoming an interpreter. But coming to El Camino is wonderful, I love the teacher and the diversity in my class. People range from ages 16 to the 50's! It is a very different outlook on school.

The only thing that frustrates me is that my teacher will sometimes hand out a lot of worksheets and there wouldn't be enough time to finish them in one day. So then next week he'll give out more papers and we won't get back to the papers from the other day. If you tell him about it, he'll go back to it or either tell us wait till next and that never comes! Other than that, because I am a part-time student, there really isn't much for me to complain about.

Autumn

El Camino College is a motivating and exciting environment to learn in because there are many opportunities to better oneself, such as: the MESA center, The Honor Transfer Program, and plenty of clubs.

The other students at El Camino College are friendly and I enjoy being able to study with them and build new relationships.

If I were able to go back into time and meet the person I was as a senior in highschool I would be thrilled. The first thing I would tell myself is to take every opportunity that is presented. In college there is so much to grow from. The opportunities are endless and will benefit you in the future. As a highschool senior I did not know much about what college would be like, with the exception that it is intimidating. So, I would also tell my younger self not to be afraid. Involving oneself in the many opportunities takes courage. So make friends, join clubs, and be as involved as possible because you never know what can come your way. Education and every opportunity that comes with it can only benefit you in the future.

Julian

my classmates are really cool and friendly people who are nice to talk to and get to know

I would tell myself to just follow my heart and try my hardest no matter what.

The worst thing about El Camino is all the construction. It is the worst part of EL camino because it make it difficult to get to class and really breaks up the campus.

Elyce

El Camino provides students a great oppritunity to save money while earning general education units for two years, and a great transfer progrm to help select a four year university.

Most of my classmates are ready and eager to learn, while some of the classmates rarely show up to class.

If I were able to change my perspective as a senior in high school, I would have taken more advantage of the oppritunities provided to me. I would have maximized my educational experience, rather than focusing more on social activtes. I would have also saved money from my part time job. It would have helped me alot to have saved money rather than spending every paycheck that I earned. I would have also taken more advantage of the clubs and extracurricular activities my school offered.

El Camino Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.