El Camino Community College District

« See more reviews of El Camino Community College District

If I had the golden oppurtinuty to go back in time, as a high school senior, the advice i would give to myself is attitude towards my education. The academic differences between high school and college is probably the most critical changes that requires adjustment for a successful college first year experience. Classes in high school experience long hours and the attendance is mandatory. In college, no one is checking your attendance or even cares if you show up. All the responsibility falls on the students to get to class, take notes and ask questions. Failing one test in high school typically didn?t have too much of an affect on the overall grade. However this is not the case in college. Most tests and essays are worth a large percentage of the overall grade, making good exam preparation, class attendance and college study habits essential for success. It is very beneficial to make use of the professors office hours and teaching assistants. Teachers in high school take more of active role in students? lives, checking homework, reminding of deadlines and providing one-on-one help after class. College professors expect students to take charge of their academics.

I would tell my high school senior self : "Do not worry about your future and please continue with your education. I know that highschool has been rough and it seems like you'll get nothing out of school, but the real world is different. College is the way school is SUPPOSED to be with interesting topics and the teachers have actually spent much time studying what they are teaching. You will find subjects that you didn't even know existed and meet people and professors that you'll be able to have incredible conversations with about things you're interested in. You will be given the chance to show and develop your intelligence and you'll be excited to go to class again. With time, you will soon be able to find what you want to do with your life and have goals you can work towards. The things you study in class will interest you so much that you will continue reading about them after the classes are over and the information will broaden your world and bring you peace of mind. I hope you're excited to start college because it will be an amazing experience for you."

If I could go back in time and speak to the person I was as a high school senior I would tell myself that the struggle is well worth it, therefore, to take advantage of it. Transferring to a brand new charter school from an overcrowded public high school was a huge and difficult transition for me. I wasn't used to the teacher's paying attention to me, as well as actually grading our work, and it being a brand new charter school, I wasn't used to constant changes with grading, rules and uniform. I hated everyday of school, but now that I am in college, I appreciate every last bit of each stuggle I encountered. I see a difference in work quality and tolerance to large amounts of work between myself and students who attended a public school and there is such positive yet overwhelming differences. Today, I cannot complain about the challenges I faced because like the old saying goes, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and I truely believe that. I just wish I could go back and tell myself that from the start so I could appreciate it all that much more.

College for me is a word which describes the future of students like me. My experience in college is good because each class gave me the opportunity to have knowledge and instruct me for my success. College opened his doors in 2009, since that year in college I received the help from counselors, teachers,students, and people who work there giving me extra help at any moment. The help I earn at El Camino College always give me a shove to continue my education. In College, I experienced emotions of happiness and sadness , as happiness finding new friends and good grades in my classes. As sadness is when I did not pass a class although the rest of my classes were very good, but this event gave me value to continue with my education and to understand that college is the way to succeed, moreover to do not stop my education. While I am attending college, I will experience different things which for me are going to be an impact in my life because I know that each class will help me to reach my goal of to be pround of myself with my achievements.

The first thing I would tell myself is to stay surrounded by goal-oriented individuals who can help you stay focused. More than half of what you learn in college is taught to you outside of the classroom. It is so different from high school, where more than half of what you learn is taught inside of the classroom by the teacher. You need to really train yourself to open those books whenever possible and study study study! The glamourous college life you see in the movies, leave all of that on the Television screen. This is real life not one of National lampoon's famous movies. Remember that you are now considered an adult, the moment you have been waiting for all your life, so be prepared to be treated like an adult. It is your responsibility to get to class on time , get your assignments turned in on time, and give yourself enough time to study for your exams. No, Mommy can not write you a note or talk to the teacher to get you out of anything you are not prepared to deal with so get ready. DO NOT FORGET YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The Do's and Don'ts of College: Don't have so many expectations for college. Do live & experience every moment-because it's the unexpected that you cherish most. Dont' make excuses that you can't(won't) try something-you'll regret it. Do push yourself to move beyond your comfort zone-even if it's one baby step at a time. Dont' be afraid to make mistakes, its part of the growing up process Do remember to be yourself-no matter how tempting it is to become the person everyone else wants you to be. Don't think that the transition will be quick and smooth, its a bumpy ride full of potholes and gum that gets stuck to your shoe (trying to keep you down) Do bring roller blades(it will help you roll over tough patches), peanut butter(gum remover and great for late night munchies), and a compass(college campuses & life are confusing). Don't put so much pressure on yourself, the weight will have you looking like a hunchback Do remember who your real friends are-the ones who call,write,&hold your hair as you throwup

If i could go back in time and put myself back into my senior year when I already have experience college, I would tell myself to be positive and never give up on my goals because they will come true. Most of all, if i knew i wasn't going to have enough money to support my education, I would apply for a lot of scholarships and grants so there was no worry about struggling to get some even in a bad economy like this. Most because I don't qualified for finacial aid. So i would tell myself to get ready for college because it something I want to do after high school and be finacially good knowing that I was going to be away from home. Also, to have faith in the lord and that there always someone to talk to when you need help. Never doubt myself and keep working hard because it will get better. Tell myself to challenge anything that comes in my way because it will help me later on with life and most of all, work hard in college because it will pay off later on in life!

It's 8:30 AM, wake up lazy! Class started 30 minutes ago. I don't care if its JUST foods or if its the most boring class of the day. Guess what, in the future you'll be glad you learned to cook and you know that english class you find so boring, you'll never be done writing! You're gonna wish you payed more attention in the future. Stop focusing so much on trying to get a girlfriend and actually pay attention in class. My advice to you right now is get involved and take AP courses because they will indeed help you in college, be prepared! By the way, ask mom if she'd be willing to pay a gym membership for you. Trust me, you're gonna wish you started now. Get a job and start saving for a car, you have no idea how stressful it is in college to not have a car. Hope you like taking the bus everyday. The only advice I have left to give you is: on May 22, 2011, no matter how tempting it looks, DON'T EAT THE SCHOOL'S WET BURRITO. Just trust me.

I would tell myself three things: First I'd say that I should go to the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, but take the summer semester off and go to El Camino for sign language. That way I'd be able to balance both professions somewhat equally. Because now I realized that I could of taken classes this past summer and would have had more classes completed. Second I'd tell myself apply for more jobs before the recession gets worse. In the summer I applied to one or two jobs at a time and by the end of July, I realized it was really hard to even find a place hiring. I've been looking for a job for eight months now, but I'm not going to give up. I just wish I would of known it would be this hard. Last but not least, I'd tell myself not to give up on anything no matter what because I'll get through it all okay. Whether it's because of school, finding a job, or financial problems, it'll all end up just fine.

The advice i would give myself as a high school senior, would be to do more research. I wasnt told about my options when i was in high school, so if i could go back in time i would tell myself all the things that i know today about free scholarships and what schools i could get in at the time. I would remind myself to be passionate about psychology because that is what i am interested in today, it would save me alot of time in the long run. I would remind myself that i am smart and that I can do anything I focus on doing and that I need not give up on anything I start doing regardless of my situation, or the things going on around me. I would reinforce the morals that were instilled in me through my single mother, and i would make sure i stayed the right path one hundred percent. I would tell myself that the people i meet throughout my life will help me become the person that i have wanted to be my whole life.