El Centro College

« See more reviews of El Centro College

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to attend a state school for all four years of undergraduate studies. In my experience, I found that attending an expensive private school did not offer enough benefits to outweigh the incredible cost. Unfortunately, because those classes were much harder (modeled after Harvard) my grades were slightly lower than students who attended state schools, despite the fact that I was on the Dean's List at my own school. This greatly affected my ability to be accepted into my desired graduate programs, forcing me to rethink my academic path. Now that I am maintaining a 4.0, many doors are opening, including medical school! I would love to say, "High school me, you should work harder!" However, I did work very hard. I would definitely not say, "High school me, take the easy road!". That is not rewarding in any way. I would say, "High school me, take the most efficient and beneficial road, the one that will allow your dreams to come true! By following this path, your hard work WILL pay off, and you WILL succeed early in life."

If I could go back in time I would start the process of looking for college sooner and later. I would prep myself for the 9th grade. I would have asked my mother did we have to move. Because moving your senior year would not be the best thing to do. I would go and visit the college. Take my SAT or ACT as much as possible. Try very hard to keep your GPA up. You need to apply for scholarship, grants and of course FAFSA well before your senior year. Find out if you are the first generation to go to college. You need to make the decision whether to stay home or should you go life on campus. Make sure that you keep in contact with the admission office. Remember to keep your high school counselor updated with your decisions of college. If you have a Facebook or MySpace please keep them private and positive. Don't allow situation to stop you from being your best and greatest. Don't forget to answer will essay questions because they are extremely important in decision making. The last thing Do not slack on your senior responsible. Keep your head up!

When it came time for me to select a school when I was preparing to graduate high school. I allowed too many outside factors to partake in my decision process. At the time I had a girlfriend who "I thought I loved", and a father who's only dream for me was to play football at the University of Nebraska. The only option presented to me by these two sources were either to move to Nebraska and play football, or stay at home in Arizona to be with my girlfriend. I chose Nebraska, which as a young man devestated my heart and my determination to succeed as a student and as a football player. After dropping out at Nebraska to try and pick up the pieces with my girlfriend it was too late. Until now, my life was in pieces with feelings of regret towards both decisions. Now that I am twenty five years old and more wise then before I finally realize what I need to do. If I could go back, im not sure I would advise towards which decision to make, but would tell myself to make a decision and stick with it, and NEVER GIVE UP!

If I was a senior in high school the advice I would give myself is, that college is nothing like high school you have to be more responsible. You will need to get all youe work done before your class starts because, the professor do not take late assignments. The teachers who do take late assignments they take off lots of points from your grade. They also, give you plenty of homework that will keep you busy. Also, how you will be responsible for waking yourself up not your parents anymore.If you don't wake up on time you will miss class and assignments that are due or need to be done. Then you may start to get bad grades for homework you wasn't turning in.That can be bad if you are on financial aid, if you start missing and failing classes you will have to pay the money back. Make sure all your stuff in complete early so you won't have to worry about it later on, all you have to do is wait until its time for you to start up your first year of college. Most of all, have fun learning new things.

As a high school student I wasn't the most well prepared student which hurt me as I entered my freshman year in college because that is one of the keys to suceed as we all know. Another tool I would give to myself as a senior would be to do everything like it was your last day of school. The reasoning behind this is because on the last day of school everyone is ready to get out, turning in whatever assignments that are left, and taking tests they should have studied for at least sometime throughout the year. This would increase my efficiency and quality of assignments. In addition to all these things my last word of advice to myself would be to have fun and enjoy life as much as you can while in high school because once you graduate, life slaps you in the face after that summer. You start to realize all of these responsibility's and tasks you need to complete everyday. Then you think of when you can actually enjoy life and mostly it needs to be planned out at least somewhat.

I've been out of high school for several years and I feel I've obtained some amount of wisdom through my experiences in the real world. I would sit myself down and have a heart to heart, because I've experienced some heart wrenching things. When I was a senior in high school I was very sporadic and wanted to do many things without considering the consequences or even the cost of my actions. Looking back I didn't really care for others and only wanted what would benefit me! I know I'm not perfect now, but I learned a lot in the 4 years that I've been out of school. I would tell my eighteen year old self, "It's not all about you! You aren't the best thing since sliced bread, you don't have it figured out, you will fall and it will hurt. You are a fighter. Be smart about your choices from here on out, go explore, meet people, experience things you've never experienced, and don't be afraid to leap!"

If I were back in high school and I could talk to myelf about my plans, I'd say that my first priority was to learn what the options were. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. What you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on stuff you like if you want to be good at what you do. It might seem that nothing would be easier than deciding what you like, but it turns out to be hard, partly because it's hard to get an accurate picture of most jobs. Being a doctor is not the way it's portrayed on TV. Fortunately you can also watch real doctors, by volunteering in hospitals. What I regret most about high school is that I that I w asted so much time not listening but relying on being with my friends and neglecting life priorities like trying to please my freinds and not living to up my expectations and goals this is something that I would tell myself.

Hey man, how are you ? i know right now all you worry about is probably having a girlfriend, or being a cool kid til the end of your highschool years. But man there are so many things coming up, so many struggles, i think you should start preparing your self instead. Prepare for the future, prepare to have a good career/job so that later on your family won't have to be struggling as you did. im just trying to advice you life is not easy, nothing in this world is free, everything has a price tag, either is in rollback or regular price, but the point is that nothing is free, and theres so many things to accomplish in this world so start getting ready for it, a bright future awaits if you only do the right thing. DON'T TRY ! JUST DO IT ! trying is not enough, is never enough, but doing it is always better.

I would have told myself back then to push harder instead of being laid back. During my senior year , I was graduating early so I felt that at the time I did not have to work as much towards my education until I started going to college. My best advice is to push all the way especially in high school as a senior. Apply for so many scholarships until you can not type or think anymore because out of the millions of them , there is at least one out there for you and maybe even more. Do not let negative relationships like your friends, lovers, and parents interfere with your journey towards your educational success. When you have been wounded , it is all about you letting your wound turn into a scar of deception or healing your wounds tosuccess.

Take more AP classes! Open yourself up to experiences that are new & exciting, but always follow your gut. Changing your major doesn't make you a bad student. Make conscious food choices. Bike or walk EVERYWHERE-your body will appreciate it Take time to discover anything that interests you. Take advantage of campus health facilities (gym, health centers, etc.) Call your mom at least once a week. The time it takes to write a scholarship essay more than pays for itself when the alternative is debt. Not everyone you meet will like you & that's okay. You won't like everyone you meet. That's okay too. Remember to embrace differences. SAVE YOUR MONEY. No matter what you do to your hair to honor your self expression, it looks stupid. Trust me.