Elizabethtown College Top Questions

TerraAnne

If i could go back in time and tell my highschool self what to do to make college life easier, it would be to start entering in scholarship essays as soon as possible. The more scholarship essays you send in the better chance of getting sponsored money that will go into your college fund. College is expensive, so don't hesitate to take the free money that is out there up for grabs. The more scholarships you get the less you have to pay in the long run. The best thing to do is to start researching early and get all of the due dates for scholarships and their requirements. Make a plan to do at least one or two scholarships every weekend before your senior year is up. Most scholarships end by May, so don't procrastinate. It may seem like a lot of time to get them done, but between all the homework and finals you will have by the end of the school year you will have barely anytime to fit in any scholarship essays. Plan and organize the scholarship essays by their due date and get them done on time.

Tiana

Senior self, don't worry about college! It's a lot like high school, except you have more time to organize your life! The best way to prepare is by choosing a place that will personalize the transition for each student's comfort.

If I could go back to the high school that I attended and be a senior once again I would definitely talk different about college. Now as a college student I see things different. I would advice myself not to slack off at all. Especially if their helping you with college expenses. As myself my first semester of college wasn't that tough I would actually do all the work that was assigned to me. Now my second semester in college was tough I really slacked off, now I'm paying for that. I didn't meet my standards for two classes, since they helped me with paying my classes now I had to pay for those two classes if I wanted to register again. I'm paying those classes and I will be going to school this coming semester. In high school teachers would actually care and tell you constantly when a paper was due. Now in college it's something else teachers tend to not care as much, and they usually don't remind you as much when something is due. If you keep telling yourself that you will get thru college you surely will.

You’re in high school, and have no idea what to do with your life. Everything works out though. First, you’ll pick something that seems smart to do. The first college you go to is big and impersonal. You’ll feel frustrated there. My advice is relax and know that you can handle it. You actually end up glad that you went through this. Everything that happens will help you later. You’ll decide that the college you were going to wasn’t right for you and the career that you picked doesn’t suit you. You’ll end up going to a new school and you’ll find something that you really love doing. You’ll know that you’re in the right place. You do something that will be able to take you places you really want to go. When you’re deciding what you want to do don’t worry about what seems the most rational and most safe. You’re a creative person and you need to follow your heart. Do what you know will make you happy and be alright with that. Don’t be afraid to chase your dreams, because they are obtainable.

I would first tell myself to relax a little before my last year of high school was over instead of trying to be involved in too many things. Also, I would assure myself that I was making the right choice about Elizabethtown because it would be a great fit. At Elizabethtown, there would be people who loved to learn just like me. My roommate would soon become one of my best friends who would even like me for my eccentricities, such as my mound of Johnny Depp posters and minor obsession with Halloween. Most importantly, I would say that it is possible to enjoy college and still gain the knowledge and experience necessary to reach my future goals without being overwhelmed. It actually is ok to take breaks between activities and studying! I would also warn myself that getting a B on a test is not the end of the world, because it is still possible to get an A in the class if my other grades are fine. Finally, I would say that organic chemistry really isn't as scary as everyone says.

Be open to new challenges don't be afraid of change. Get involved in anything that may interest you.

Breanna

Giiven the option to back in time and forewarn the past me of the future, I simply would not. I feel as though every choice we make and every thing we have done in life are experiences to be learned from, and that without these experiences we do not come to the same conclusions. I am where I am today because of the things I have done to develope my train of thought and preparedness. Hard work and dilligence get you to a better place. We cannot always be aware of what is to come, but we can learn how to adapt when it arrives.

I would tell myself to pick the school where I instantly feel like I belong and a place where I feel like I would meet the friends I would have for life. It is important to not choose a school based on what your parents or other people want from you. You have to choose a college that you feel is best for you. Once you make that decision, it is important to put school work first but also make time for doing social events with friends and getting involved on campus. You only go to college once and it will most likely be one of the best times of your life so make sure to make the most of it, enjoy yourself, and try your hardest with your schoolwork so you can have a happy and successful future.

College is way different then high school. It's not necessarily harder, just emphasizes on responsibility. If I was able to tell myself that as a senior, it would have done me a lot of good. I would push myself to actually apply and attempt to get scholarships (more than just 1). Going into college I took the attitude of a high school senior. Everybody was going to help me and it didn't matter because I was smart. Hah, little did I know it required studying and doing a lot of work most of which I wasn't accustomed to doing. You can be smart, but you still have to work your tail off. I would remind myself that going to college is something you pay for, and you can't assume the victim position like in high school when nothing was your fault and the teacher has to give you a second chance. Professors don't care and will give you a zero without a second thought. While I'm doing good in school now, my first semester would have been easier if I could have knocked some sense into myself.

Leigh

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would reassure myself that I made the right choice in picking Elizabethtown College for my education and becoming a member of its woman's lacrosse team. I would advise that I do a better job of saving money over the summer since it is nearly impossible to work while attending classes full time while playing a college sport. The spending money amount I needed was really underestimated and the tuition is very high. Also, I would tell myself that the time in school goes by quickly, to enjoy it but to focus hard and maximize the wonderful opportunity I have to attend such a great institution. Finally, I would recommend spending more time selecting my roommate. Living in such close quarters with someone that is hard to get along with, much less room with is a very daunting task and can be a diversion from what is really important, my education.

College is one of the gratest things to ever happen to you, friends come easily, work is actually fun, classes are not as bad as you think and when they are you can actually go talk to your professors and they will help you out. Don't stress yourself out, you will make the right choice and as awkward as those first few days are you will get through. To you right now, I know this is so cliche, and you don't believe a word of it but it is true, work hard and apply for every scholarship under the sun, it helps. And another very important decision, join the momentum program, it will provide you with the best part of the college orienation experience. You will also meet your best friend there. One last thing before I go back, your roommate. I know you are stressing about roommates but you really shouldn't. Be honest on the survey and put in for liberal arts residence, you and your roomate will be the best of friends. Smile, Breathe, and go with the flow because it will get you where you need to go.

I would say do not worry so much about college. Sure it is a different experience, but its well worth it. You will meet plenty of new friends and the professors are very helpful. And dont forget to have fun sometimes too.

Going back to talk to myself as a high school senior about college is would be difficult. I had a slight idea what I was getting myself into when going to college, but overall I wasn't prepared for the course load and the social life I was getting myself into. I would better prepare myself academically and be able to learn and teach myself new things that you don't always cover in class. I would learn how to take better notes and become a more critical thinker. I would also prepare myself for the things that go happen on campus outside the academic buildings. I would make myself stick to my values that I have rather than giving in to peer pressure to fit in. Overall, there is only a few things that I would like to go back and tell myself about college and the transition to it.

Starting off, I came to college to get a good education and I can say that I am being well-educated. I have liked all of my professors and it is an enjoyable experience being able to have that one-on-one connection with them. The school is small and it allows me to get extra help when I do not understand, which is a plus for me. Family and friends are important to me and the fact that I am away from family was very difficult in the beginning, but I have met so many sweet people and have many amazing friends that I will have for a lifetime. I consider that to be the biggest blessing.

Throughout my college experience I have found that I am more able to identify my own strengths and weaknesses. Attending college has also guided me towards thinking on a higher, more critical level. The value of my education is found in my dreams. I aspire to be a missionary, the best way to achieve this dream is through a college education.

Luke

I have gained three main things throughout my previous and current time spent at Elizabethtown College. I feel that I am a more confident person socially and that I am able to approach people and hold a more comfortable conversation with them. Also, I feel that I have gained a great amount of athletic ability through the track and field program. I have become a more competitive athlete. Finally, I feel that I have accelerated my study and learning habits throughout my time here at Elizabethtown College. I am more comfortable with expressing my personal ideas as well as listening and discussing those of others. I have learned how to challenge myself both inside and outside of the classroom.

The most important thing that I have gotten out of my college experience is the ability to read and understand information that is presented to me. My Associates degree is in History and as the saying goes the winners write history. Well, I have learned to read information or an argument and learn to not only understand it, but to look for the context of what is being presented. I learned to understand both sides of an argument or a conflict, which is beneficial in a business world, when it comes to diplomacy on a global, national, state, till a personal level. It has truly been valuable to attend not only for the reason stated above, but also because I have learned good study habits and self discipline. Where else can I learn to give up what I want at a moment for what I want the most. To give up going out on a Friday night, or to stay home and study for an exam on Monday morning. These skills are easily translated to the real world environment.

Erik

So far my college experience has been amazing. I have obtained a group of friends that I now consider family and I know I will keep them for life. I play on a soccer team in which I also consider family and we call ourselves "the brotherhood". I have also learned a lot about the career im interested in and about life in general. College is valuable to attend because it is a once in a lifetime experience and never in life will you be able to experience anything like it again. Never again will I feel so indepenent and free. Everything that I need is provided for me and the oppurtunities are endless. Everyone who is in college should live it up and not take a second for granted because after college your most likely just going to be an adult, working for the rest of your lifetime. It is valuable to me because it has been the best time of my life and I will never forget these years.

(Elizabethtown) College provided me with many opportunities to discern who I am and who I want to become. Specifically, Elizabethtown's motto, "Educate for Service," aided in my continued love for service. It has also played a huge role in my personal life and in discerning my career goals. Currently, I am in my second year as member of Brethren Volunteer Services, serving with a nonprofit in Wichita, Kansas called Trees for Life. During my graduate work, I aim to continue this spirit of community service by volunteering in and around my campus and community. Once my graduate work is complete, I hope to incorporate my love of service through work with non-profit organizations in my community. My college experience also opened my eyes to the world around me and the injustices within. My study abroad experience in Northern Ireland not only opened my mind but my heart as well. While abroad, I gained many new skills and became independent, not only academically, but in my daily life as well. Ultimately, my college experience was one which is priceless, concerning the amount of things I learned about myself and for the growth I have done.

My college experience has given me courage and confidence in myself. My education has taught me to think for myself, to believe in myself and to perservere. I have also learned to be more tolerant of others and to respect thier opinions. Many teachers have inspired me along the way with thier encouragement, knowledge and sometimes humour. There have been a couple teachers who believed in me, even when I didn't believe in myself, and I will be forever indebted to them for that. Through my college experience, I have learned more about myself. I have learned to accept my weaknesses, and nurture my strengths. Above all else, I have learned to never give up.

robert

College for me is an escape from everyday life. It is a place I can turn to when I have nothing else steady or sure in my life. It has given me the freedom of being able to live by my schedual and dosn't demand of me more than I can handle. College is not only a great place for me to further education, but it makes me feel good about myself and the path I am taking in my life. It makes me want to be the better person I know I can be, both in my career and my personal life. Its a good place for me to be by myself when I need it, and still offers people I can talk to when I need to be sociable. I have had my ups and downs while attending Grossmont College, but I have to say that it is my shelter in what seems like an unsure and unsteady life. It offers education, nutrition, career oportunities, frendship, and so much more. My college is my second home.

Kelsie

I grew up in a very structured and non-diverse environment in which everyone thought the same and different views and opinions on important matters were never made aware to me. After not ever a month at Etown, I learned that there is a huge world outside of my town, full of beliefs and views different from my own. In order to make my mark on this world and somehow impact it for the better, I need to be more open to these different views and use them to challenge what I learned growing up. Etown has taught me so much about life and has improved may way of thinking on a great deal of international issues while also strengthening my views on other things. While I still stay true to my morals and beliefs, I have now expanded my horizon and adopted new beliefs along the way. Etown has also made me become a more friendly, accepting, and optimistic person. I now cherish every day that I get to spend alive and try to do everything I can to impact other people's lives the way they have impacted mine.

Katlin

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to push the boundaries. For nothing comes from staying in your comfort zone, and nothing certainly comes to someone who let's life finds them. I have decided to transfer this next semester to a school that will push my boundaries and I really could use this money. Yet, I hope you get the appropriate interpretation of my time at Elizabethtown College.

As a high school senior i would have told myself that you need to be able to manage my time better. You are going to have a lot freedom and need to responsible for yourself. I would also tell myself that college is going to be one of the best times of you life and you need to enjoy it and make friends. If you keep to yourself you are not getting the full experience and also not building good skills that will help you in life. I know people that did not go out and meet people that regret it and you need to start as soon as you get there. In the first few days introduce yourself to as many people as possible.

Pamela

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would continually tell myself not to worry about how tragic my roommate situation might be and consider how much of a best friend I can be to my future "roomie." I will reassure myself by saying that I am not leaving home forever and by departing for so long, I may actually realize things about my home life that I never did before, like how much I need to get out of such a strict routine, because flexibility will become useful in many ways. Another piece of advice would be to take advantage of gaining freedom. Moreover, I would tell my senior-self to stay true to my morals, beliefs, and unique personality in order to make great friends. Finally, if I could, I would go back to tell myself to take every chance I can to get to know the people I will be living with/around for the next few months so I can more quickly discover how awesome they really are. Overall, I would tell myself to just relax and enjoy every second, because this experience will be greater than I ever imagined.

Lauryn

I would advice myself as a senior to really think about my morals and stay strong to what I believe in. When you go to college you meet so many different people and you rarely find someone who agrees with everything you do or believe in and it is important to not sway from what you had believed in before. You should keep an open mind to new experiences and ideas because you might want to change our values over time, but many traits people carry with them all throughout college and remain true to themselves. It can be hard sometimes to be your own person and do what you know is right when everyone else is doing what is fun, but sticking to your morals and values will never lead you astray.

First of all, I would tell myself not to wait. Nothing in this life is worth sacrificing a good education. Second, don't take for granted things you think are unimportant. Things like reading and writing. You may think that these are useless for adult life and your career goals but they are anything but useless. Reading and writing give you critical thinking skills that can apply to everything you do. These skills also help you to appreciate life more and to understand the world around you. Education is expensive and time consuming yes but the cost of complacency is much higher. You don't want to wake up when your almost 40 years old wondering what you have done with your life or what difference you have made. Lastly, most of us will have children someday and what better way to set an example for them then to succeed in your educational goals.

Take your time in deciding where to go.. Choose your friends wisely as sometimes the friends you make arent always the friends that want to be with you.. they always want something.. College classes are not like high school and the learning is so much different..if you are having problems adjusting dont try to take it on yourself, talk to a friend or a parent.. i got stressed and overwhelmed but my dad helped me to calm down and take one day at a time.. Also call your family as much as possible as they are there for you all the time no matter what.. As a Freshman male you want to be strong and know everything but you you arent and need help once in a while..Moms are good for that they know exactly what you need, whether its money, a coat, laundry det or just are you ok...at least i got a call.. the other thing dont take on too many classes as the paper work and essays can be harsh and the professors grade a lot harder. this is my advise to others..the things i have learned so far..

I would tell myself to not be so worried and nervous about college. In high school, especially senior year, I was very scared about what it would be like to live away from home, if I would have trouble making firends, or if the school work would be too hard. I am glad I took a chance and went to Elizabethtown College, though, because, so far, I have had fulfilling experience. I suppose the advice I would have given myself would have been to more self-confident and more accepting of the fact that I can successful.

Jaclyn

I would tell myself to not bring nearly as much clothing with me. I would also tell myself to get over my shyness because that took me a while once I actually got to this school. Also, it's important to know that trusting my gut is a good idea: from taking classes to making decisions about social occassions, everything needs to be well-thought out, but a gut decision could mean the difference between taking a class that's at an appropriate level, or taking a class you'll actually enjoy being in.

Definitely take the time to take tours, stay overnight, and learn as much as possible about your school. I was lucky enough to come to a school I didn't know very much about and love it, but that is not always the case. Make sure that the program is everything you hope so you can succeed the most. Get involved and don't be worried if you don't immediately make friends, no matter how small the school (because I go to a small school), there will be people who you fit in with. Good luck!

First I would suggest making a list of colleges that you are interested in. Then visit them. Upon visiting them, make sure the school offers your program of interest, and any extracurricular activities that you may be interested in, such as sports. You also should look at the campus community. Another words will you feel safe and comfortable at the campus? After all, this will be a home away from home. You should enjoy your experience. In addition to these things, it might be valuable to speak with the professors there to get to know them. Something important to me was the size of classes. I didn't want to be just a number to the college; I wanted to have as much individual attention as possible. I would look into class sizes suitable for yourself. Additionally an important factor is financial aid. I would look deeply into this to ensure you can fund your education. Once you are finally at your college you should become involved as much as possible and go above and beyond academically. Most importantly, enjoy your college life because you only get it once! (And call your parents once in awhile. They will miss you!)

Knowing what you really want in a college is hard without experiencing life at the school, so, while doing a lot of research is important, it's usually the visit that makes the most impact on a decision. It's important to tour the campus, talk to students and faculty, and eat in the cafeteria. Visit more than once, if possible. See the school in all types of conditions: rain, shine, weekday, weekend, daytime, evening. The more you know about a school, you will be better equipped to make a good decision that will help you stay happy at your school of choice for years to come.

When I first walked on Elizabethtown College's campus, I knew it was the place for me. Go with your initial reaction to a school, and take advantage of all the school has to offer.

College is not about the name of the school or how many well-known professors teach there or even about the fit. The college application process creates more stress than necessary for, in the end, a college is a college. In this single place, a student meets his friends, his future colleagues, and his counselors of life. It is necessary, when attending college, to grasp experience rather than let it flow through your fingers. Make friends, be involved but, more importantly, reflect. There come times in a person's life when introspection is his most valuable asset. College is one of those times. As you live and grow with others, and as you learn to grow apart from your family and friends at home, always consider who you are becoming and who you want to be when the experience is over. College is a crossroads; be aware of the path that you choose.

Finding the right college can be a difficult and daunting task. My advice to parents and students would be to visit as many colleges as possible, making sure to document the visit in some way by grabbing brochures or pamphlets, or simply by taking notes. The easiest way to narrow down the search is to look at state schools versus private colleges. Listen to your student and allow them to make their own decision because being comfortable is the most important characteristic a college can provide. If you aren't comfortable with the people you meet, the places you see, or the food you eat, then you will not be able to enjoy your college experience. This may sound corny, but I knew Elizabethtown College was the right choice for me after taking a tour and meeting an admissions counselor; two steps I strongly recommend. In order to know if you will fit in at a school, you must visit it in person. If you are interested in a school--schedule an overnight visit and sit in on a class. If you can see yourself at that college in the coming years, you know you have found the right place.

sarah

Parents need to ensure that their child examines every single aspect of the college bofore that the child chooses which school is best for them. For example, I chose all the schools that I was looking at based on athletics. However, when I experienced college athletics compared to high school athletics, I chose not to continue. Therefore, I am at a school that I chose solely for athletics. I did not examine other aspects of the school, and there are currently other aspects that I am not happy with because they were over-looked.

Neal

For parents, find out what the financial aid possibilities are at the schools that you are looking at before committing to anything. For students, while being undecided when going into college is ok, I found it very stressful to change my major in my second year, since at that point there a few options left for you if you still want to graduate in four years. If you can, try to double major in two things that are related and that you like as double majors are more appealing to companies and graduate schools. For both students and parents, a little distance is not your enemy. It will be hard at first to be somewhat far apart at first, but it will help both of you in the long run.

Don't set your heart on one particular college until you have been there and experienced the vibe on campus. It is true what they say that you will know when you go there. It may not be immediate and obvious, but you will know where you feel most comforable and part of the community. Also it is a joint effort of both parents and students to pick the right institution for their family. Students, listen to your parents when they offer a suggestion about a school because they have your best interests in mind Parents, be sure to let your son/daughter have the last word when picking their college because it is them who have to spend their days there. Once you get to college, dive on in. This is your chance to be exactly who you want to be so embrace that and make the most of it. I would strongly advise against going to college with someone you know. It is a freeing experience to define who you are exactly as you want to be seen! So seize the experience entirely and have a great time. It is a pivotal time that is all yours!

Picking a college is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make... or so everyone told me. But the truth is, college is what you make it -- no matter where you go. Look for a college that you feel comfortable at -- and that you can AFFORD to attend. Don't stress about picking the "perfect" college, you can always transfer. Talk to the STUDENTS on the campuses you're looking at -- not just people in the admissions department -- and find out what they have to say about the people on campus. Because what it all boils down to is the people you share the college journey with.

Make sure you apply to all different kinds of schools because you may think you know what you want, but in reality its not what you wanted at all. I personally thought i wanted to go to school in a city and be a city girl, so i went to Temple my first year. I realized a month into it that i didnt want to be there, there was nothing there for me and that i had to get out asap. I began researching again what would fit me, i wanted to find a school that was just like me, outgoing, but not obnoxious, smart, but not brainy, fun, but not wild. I found my perfect fit. Elizabethtown College! yes its expensive and sometimes i think that if i had the chance to do it all over, i probably would have gone to a cheaper, public school. But then i think about it some more and realize that, NO....Elizabetown is worth it! i really dont think theres anything like it. It is one, it is unique.

Mollie

When choosing a college, I think the most important thing to do is to choose a place where you will feel comfortable. For most teenagers, it will be the first time in their life they will be living out on their own without their parents around. If they choose somewhere thats too large, they may be overwelmed with all the new people they meet. Also if a students choose a smaller school, they may be dissatisfied by many of the things offered to them on campus. It's mostly about choosing what you believe will make you happy. In the end, you may make the right choice or you may make the wrong one. However, once you are there you should attempt and make the best out of your situation. and become involved in many activities on campus. Also, you will never make it through college without friends so go out and make many new friends. Whether or not you have anything in common, you will help each other grow as a person and be there for each other as you go through this somewhat difficult change in life.

Chose first by desired distance from home and then size. Visit both large and small schools. Facebook is a great way to meet people in your dorm before school starts. Start a facebook group with the such as "freshmen of Ober residence hall" then people join and you can chat.

Go to the college and visit/tour, you'll know when you've found the right place

I think the most important thing is getting an early start; but also important is planing out courses/majors that you will need to think about so that there is less changing things at the last minute. Many things that I know I want to do take money so parent approval is a must first.

Don't be pressured by what other people are doing. In the end, where you go or who you go with does not matter; you make your own college experience. If you want to succeed, then you must put the time and effort in, and work for it. Alternatively, if you want to be more popuar and have fun while still being prepared for the working world, it's up to you to make that balance happen. No matter where you go, this is true, so don't think going to an Ivy league school is the only way to be taken seriously, or vice versa; don't think that just because someone got into a really high-ranked private school that they're automatically better than you. Everyone is different and has their own strengths. Just go with what your strengths are. Don't worry about anything else. In the long-run, you will be happier if you are true to yourself. Don't try to be something just because of the money or because what your parents want you to do, etc. If you are true to yourself, this is enough to carry you through the toughest times.

Visit all the colleges you applied to and try to do an overnight visit to get a true feeling of the school

TaLisa

visit the school campus

Visit plenty of schools to figure out what kind of school you want to go to, and be sure to do an overnight while you're there. Check out the food, make sure you'll want to eat it every day for 4 years, because eating bad food for 4 years is not fun at all. Figure out how much money you are able to spend and figure out what you can afford. When you get to school, make sure you balance your time. Do well in your studies, but make sure you spend enough time making friends and having fun because college has the potential to be the best 4 years of your life, so make plenty of memories and make them last!

I would say to them to remember that the college is a business. They have friendly students give tours and overnights are with friendly people. If you are a high schooler looking, more times than not the students on campus will be nicer than they are. the college is out to make money and have good marketing tricks to get you to come to their college