Elmhurst College Top Questions

Dear HighSchool Me, It's senior year and this is your last year going to school everyday with the friends you have grown to see as family. I know senior year is the year that you want to blow off because you want to runaway to college and never look back; but do us all a favor and don't wish this away. Also, please learn to balance. Balance school and 'fun'. Don’t go for one weekend of doing nothing for school and give yourself a week of torture. But also don’t stay in 24/7 studying because you will feel like a balloon that is about to burst. Create a balance. Create a schedule. Create happiness. These four years are going to be the most crucial to the process of growing up. Lastly, don't try to grow up too fast. Enjoy mom's cooking, dad's jokes, your dog's kisses, and your brother's loud music because if you go away to college; sitting in a 7' by 7' room with a stranger will make you start to miss home and you will start to wonder why you wanted to grow up so fast.

Some advice I would give to myself is first would be to apply for a lot of scholarships. The more money you have the more of a chance you will let your parents relax and not have to worry about tuition payments. Also you are more likely to live on campus which makes a huge diffrence. That is one thing I wish I could have done because you are able to use all of what the campus offers. Another thing is practice on how to study, it might sound weird but people do not realise that the study techiniques they used in high school will not always work while you are in college. One last thing is get involved your college expirence is way better when you are involved at school. It will also look good on your resume when employers see how involved you were.

Jordana

I would remind myself that college is not the time to get "off track". Stay focused, work hard, and pick a major and stick with it!

Clarissa

I would tell myself to ask for more opportunities to build more for my college applications and extraccurlars

If I could go back to my senior year and give myself advice about college I would tell myself that I should not worry about the transition. The fact that you play games will bring some friends and you will be happy with the ones you have. It will be alright in the year. You must get a job over the year and you have to find a way to keep payments going. It is important that you go to the events. Happy friends equals happy person. Remember that you can be happy if you try. There will be bad things that will occur. Do not worry about it.

Ana

When debating over whether to commute everyday or live on campus in the residence halls, choose to live on campus because it is a decision you won't regret. Living on campus is very convenient especially if you ever have a large gap in between your daily classes. Yes it is extra money being spent however, you will make life-long connections with friends and you will also learn more about living independently through the experience. You will receive the complete college experience. Another word of advice is to take the advanced placement classes you have been offered. Don't be afraid to take them because you think they are too challenging or you are too lazy and want to have a slack-off year. No doubt about it, the credits you will receive will benefit you. They will save you time and money due to the fact you will not have to take the courses in college. Another benefit of these classes is that they will help you receive insight about how college level courses are taught. You will be prepared and know what to expect when entering a whole new level of schooling.

Veronica

To whom I used to be, Being courageous is facing the unknown, with only the faith in your abilities and will to be all that your mother has wanted you to be. I plead with you, make the decision to perceiver in life, you owe it to those who have seen you this far and most of all you owe it to me. To blossom is to grow into the absolute greatness, I have learned too much with every chapter I decide to venture into fully and without prejudice. Stay humble and remember to never look back at what was lost, for those who have made you who you are WILL NEVER BE LOST, THEY REMAIN THE SUN IN YOUR SKY AND THE BREATH IN YOUR LUNGS. Leave the worries at the door, and take with you the certainty you will never know it all, but know for absolute certain you are worthy of success, you deserve the world and the world deserves your absolute best and nothing less. Remain humble; inclusion is the key to embracing the world at its best. Never stop learning; never stop believing. We are our mothers' daughter. Yours Truly Self

High School Senior Me, Life can only get better from here. Once you graduate you will finally get to follow your heart instead of just your head. Now is the time to stand up for yourself and prove that you can do more than you ever thought you could. You may be shy and a little socially awkward but you will learn to own it and love every part of what makes you unique. Always remember life is meant to build the weak and challenge the strong. Stand tall, stay driven and enjoy every moment of growing up! You will gain lasting friendships, a new self confidence and determination that will grow as you do. Just remember that your not in high school anymore, live a little bit, avoid the drama and speak your mind. No matter how long it may take the ending result will be well worth it. Sincerely, Future Me

Bianca

The year is 2010, and I would tell my younger self to get a job. Getting a job would allow me to save up money since I will still be living with my mother. The money that my older self needs now, and saving money isn’t easy. I would also tell my younger self to attend James Sprunt Community College first instead of attending Mt. Olive College. This is because I wouldn’t have loans to pay back and it will be a whole lot cheaper to attend a community college versus a private college. I would tell my younger self to get more involved in extracurricular activities, and volunteer during High school because it will make your application look much better. I would tell my younger self to look into scholarships throughout the school year, the more money you have during college the better off you’ll be. I would also tell my younger self to pay more attention to my grades rather than being satisfied with just “passing the class.” Finally, I would tell my younger self to enjoy looking into different colleges, but think smart and to enjoy meeting new people that I could call friends'.

maresha

I would tell myself to pay attention in school and take my education seriouse. I am a good student now but it is more difficult for me in college now because when i was in high school i didn't care about education, i only cared about having fun and looking cool. I would tell myself this is the real world and you have to work hard for what you want in life. Education is very important, if you are not educated you do not have knowledge. Knowledge is needed in everyday life activites and most importantly a good future! I would tell myself to work hard and prove everyone wrong about yourself, that you can make it in life. That now in the future i feel left out when people talk about history or geography. Its not a good feeling whe everyone know's about a particular subject but i don't have any idea of what they are talking about. I would tell myself that i know what i want to be in life and i know what i have to do to get there and doing what i was doing then certainly did not help me now.

Caitlyn

Focus on your schoolwork and do not procrastinate. Procrastination in college will cause you much stress. Do you work when it is assigned and you will not have a problem with completion. If you have to write a 15 page research paper, do not wait until 2 nights before it is due to start working on it. If this paper was assigned 3 weeks earlier start working on it as soon as you can, then you can use the last few days to revise or edit your work.

Galina

Senior year my main goal was to "just get through high school". I was compleatly exhausted from all of my AP courses, my debate seaon and mainly my college hunt. If there is one thing I could tell myself as a high school senior it would be that when you find the right college you just know it. There is no need to spend countless sleepless nights wondering what college you are going to choose. If you are stuck between two colleges then you have not taken advantage of everything both colleges have to offer potential students. It is extremly important to visit potential colleges many times inorder to understand what exactly you are getting yourself into. It is also important to distance yourself from the situation and think critically when you are making these visits. For example, you may be in love with the school but does the atmosphere make you feel comfortable? After all college is about feeling free to expand your horizons. Does the staff treat you the way you wish to be treated? When you take everything into consideration and relax then deciding what college to choose is easy, you will just know!

Focus on classes. When the teacher assigns the minimum homework, do a little extra. Classes are going to be much harder and you need to be willing to dedicate the time and brain power to keep yourself on good academic standards. Work as hard as you can to get A's, but remember your friends. You cannot have the college experience without friends. Make time to hang out with them, even if it is for fifteen minutes during a study break or to study with them. They will leave before you know if you cut them out of your life. But always remember, keep your eye on the end goal.

Gabriela

Time can be your best friend or worst enemy; learn to use it wisely! Although this has always been true, the consequences of misusing time are much harsher in college. Just remember: there will always be time for friends and videogames, but homework, studying, and scholarships have deadlines which cannot always be moved or made up. What's more important? Your progress in a videogame or your progress in the class that you are paying hundreds of dollars for? And yes, it will be difficult to pass up your friends' invitations, but finishing your homework first will be much more benefitting and satisfying in the long run!

Angil

I would tell my high self to enjoy the company I have! Take time to be with friends that I won't go to school with and make memories with. Once I left my home, I realized I have to make all new friends and all new memories and I didn't spend my last moments with each person I felt made a difference. If I could go back, I would spend more time with them than counting down the days until I move.

Tonja

I would tell myself not to get caught up in everyday life. LIfe just keeps on going on and on. Without the right skills learned you have no tools under your belt to work with to get that career you've been searching for started. College is truely the best way to learn great skills. We all want to be done with schooling after high school. But it is important not to procrastinate. Even if attending part time at a college is still a start towards learning specific skills you need to achieve a career of you own choice. A good career can be achieved without college, but it is takes longer, more errors will be made, you will be stuggling to attain your goals, and probably won't have the career of your choice.

Don't simply assume, be positive! Please, take it from me, you can waste so much time and money because of simple carelessness! Along with that, have some confidence! You have worked so hard to get through high school with good grades, you deserve a good education! You do not have to be nervous to ask questions, especially if they pertain to your future. Trust me, I know plenty of people who didn't ask questions because they were afraid of being annoying or sounding stupid; unfortunately since these people lacked the confidence to ask questions they ended up being more stressed out and often times in a "deeper hole" because of it. And even if someone gives you attitude when you're trying to ask for help, don't be discouraged! Bare with them until you are able to have you're question resolved, especially if the quesiton is about college. After all, your family is paying a great deal of money so you can get educated! The last bit of advice I can give you is don't hold off when applying for scholarships! You know that procrastination just leads to high stress. And who needs more stress?

Look Joseph, I know you can be lazy and procrastinate, but that doesn't mean you have to. You have such a good oppourtunity for yourself and I don't want you wasting that oppourtunity. Focus on your work, get enough sleep, and I guarentee that you will do great in college.

Noell

In high school, I recall constant moments of absolute trepidation. Unfortunately, my personal responses to these moments were tears, mental abuse, and once self-injury. Why? Anxiety. “Well, do we experience anxiety in college?” “Yes.” “Is it worst?” “Yes.” “How do we cope?” “We learn.” Stress never changes, only the form it comes in. So, when stress unleashes all its anxiety, I must find a positive outlet. Go biking, hiking, try pilates, or yoga. Never underestimate what you can handle in any situation. Never assume that situations only have bad outcomes. Therefore, it is best to find the positives in every circumstance and realize that a moment of fear ir anxiety is just another fleeting moment. Take this moment as a way to grow. Use it as an experience to help someone else who might one day go through the same situation. In other words, make the stress empower that younger me. When you make a mistake, buy a bigger eraser! And most importantly, be a friend to myself! No amount of comfort in the world will ease the anxiety of stress if I do not know how to comfort me.

If i could go back in time and prepare myself for college, I would tell myself that morning classes are some of the most difficult. I would tell myself that friends are an important part of life and college to grow as an indevidual, but to keep up in school and to keep up on my priorities. Balancing the two is key information and may take a few weeks to grasp this concept. If you get behind, tutors are an option. They are there to help you. They won't judge you just because you don't understand something, so don't be afraid to ask for help. The meal plan is there so you can save money, so eat at the school as often as possible! And last, I would tell my self to fill out for as many scholarships as possible because it's always nice to know that you don't have to worry about coming up with money later in life.

In life, there is no rewind button – I have learned this lesson well. Reflecting on my college experience thus far, it is safe to say that, given the opportunity, I would turn back the clock. Decisions would have been made much differently. Adjustments would have taken place. In a world where I could go back and talk myself through the confusion and apprehension before choosing an institution, I know immediately what I would say: don’t be afraid. Don’t limit your choices because of your friends, your family, or a boy. Don’t be scared to go somewhere huge; get yourself out there, and gain independence. Don’t automatically choose the university that gives you the most financial aid, because even though scholarships and grants may seem enticing, they do not always equal an education that is right for you. Don’t be anxious about change, as it is, and always will be, inevitable. You can’t stop life and put it in reverse, so take careful consideration to all that I’ve told you. Embrace this change, and don’t look back.

I began my freshman year in college at Illinois State University in the Fall of 2008. All I wanted was to get away from my family, and I wanted my own freedom...or at least I thought that's what I wanted. I had a terrible experience at Illinois State, with professors that didn't care if I was passing or failing. I didn't know who I was, and I didn't care to find out. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take better care of myself, and to really consider what was best for me. I would remind myself that my family is the foundation of my life, and that I need them to get by. I would tell myself that it's okay to make mistakes, but only if you learn from them. I would tell myself that Elmhurst College is truly where I belong, and that I will make HUGE steps toward my future. Although I learned from the choices I made, as a high school senior, I wish I would have known what I know now.

Don't hesitate in going after what interests you. The choices that you make now can and will transform who you are and what you will become for the rest of your life. Take advantageof everything college has to offer. Make friendships and connections that will not only enhance your social life, but make create networks that will greatly increase your chance for success in the future. Hold on to old relationships and when problems in your life occur, don't assume that they'll take care of themselves. You have the power to both make a difference and to challenge the norm. Save your money wisely, and don't rely on luck to pay your way.

I will have gotten a degree, and a lot of debt. Its a very nice school, wish that they would be more practical though sometimes. And I wish they striveded to be more than just a local college, looking for more opurtunitites furthur away for student not just ones in our own backyard.

As I have just completed the first semester of my freshman year at Elmhurst College, I found that I have obtained much valuable information and have experienced the responsibility and hard work of a successful college student. While still a high school student, I had always included education as a value and moral that I hold. However, as I attended my first semester of college, I have realized first hand the importance of a degree. As Elmhurst College is a Liberal Arts college, I have already taken classes outside of my political science major such as foreign language and am currently enrolled in an art and poetry class. I feel this well-rounded study has enhanced my college experience. I believe that these experiences that I have had, and will have, in my classes are worthwhile and valuable because my range of education will extend outside of just my major and reach into other areas of interest. My experience so far as a college student has been positive and has sparked my interest in other areas of education. The knowledge that I will continue to obtain at college is a value that I consider useful and necessary for my future.

Elton

I feel that I have studied a lot I lived at home and I did not experience much on campus because I was not a member of Fraternities and at this college in order to have friends or social experience you had to play sports or other campus organizations. However I have spend my time studing and it has been a great exerience for me becasue i was able to take this valuable time and put it to work out side campus such as in my social life or at work.

College was an extremely lonely experience. My freshman year I saw a lot of people transfer; my best friend transferred four times. I, on the other hand, am the type of person who never allowed myself the option. So to fill my endless college hours I spent endless hours in the library (sometimes even Friday nights.) Wrote essay upon essay. Went to bed at 10 p.m. every night to get up for 6:30 practice. Ran four seasons of cross-country and track. I feel like I’ve just finished a marathon. Physically and emotion exhausted, I’m now standing on the finish line with all these images circling through my mind— the hush of the crowd right before the gun goes off in a cross-country race, late night talks between roommates, falling asleep mid-sentence, my first love, the silence of a first snowfall during finals, the utter and complete agony of heart ache. I am the same person as when I entered college. Sure I have changed from my experiences; I am a much stronger person today. But I learned I never had to redefine myself for others, rather I needed to define myself for me.

I have gotten a lot from my college experience, dealing with different ways of learning and studying. Since i've been in college for two years i've learned what helps me best to get the best grade for the classes. It's been greatly valuable to attend becuase it's really helped me realize what i really what to do for my career and helped me focus on certain classes that i need.

Kelsie

Since I have been at Elmhurst College, I have participated in many extra-curricular events that I have never thought about involving myself in prior to this college experience. Attending this college convinced me to join a sorority. I was fasinated by the passion and work ethic that the girls in my chapter presented. This then influenced me to take on a leadership position within the chapter. Being exposed to students like myself that show such academic drive and participation in various organizations has made me want to become involved in as much as I can, and also strive to succeed in all of my courses. The courses that I have taken, as well as the people I have surrounded myself with have made me figure out more about myself concerning my beliefs, future goals and who I want to become. This overall college experience thus far has been valuable to me by exposing me to characteristics within people that I strive to personally obtain.

Ilse

Elmhurst College may be small, but every year there are people whom you may never have seen before. I am naturally shy and introverted, however I have learned to become more outgoing. I have learned more about independence and the value of a good education. The friendly atmosphere helped improve my outlook on life and the future. The professors are helpful and have learned to appreciate that help.

People always say that college changes a person, and in my experience, this is true. I have grown as a person in so many different ways. I have learned how to present myself to new friends and professors, and how to sieze new opportunities. I've found that it is extremely important to get out of my comfort zone. The most important thing I have gotten out of my experience is passion for my career choice. Before taking SLP classes, I was unsure about my choice of major. It has been completely invaluable to me to take SLP classes and figure out that I truly chose the correct path. I am so excited to take more classes and to pursue the improvement of speech for children.

"Listen Em, go out and socialize a little bit more. You kept yourself so sucked up my playing your instrument that you are having a hard time really going out and meeting people. You can't go your entire life in a practice room. You need to balance your life. Academics and music is important but you aren't going to be happy if you are going through life alone. There is something to be said for having people to fall back on when those other aspects of your life start to get tough. You really can't do it all by yourself. Learn to rely on people and have a good time occasionally."

First, do not worry about the cost of school. Many students have loans and worrying about your loans does not make your loans disappear. College is an investment and should be thought of as so. That said, make the most of it educationally and socially. In getting a job, allow your pay and hours to suffice; think of it more as helping your employer out and allow it to make you a better person. Also, work your tail off in your studies. Go to professors for help and allow your grades to mean something, being truly a reflection of your effort. In transitioning your first year, do not take more than fourteen credit hours. Choose courses that satisfy both your planned educational endeavors and those in which you take interest, while also satisfying a requirement. Listen to people you meet for the first time in the most authentic way possible. Have at least one social and/or personal outlet that serves to bring you back to homeostasis both mentally and physically. Allow every closed door to direct you to another door and be inviting to this new idea. Go to sleep every night knowing you just gave your absolute best.

Patricia

As my grandmother always said, money is just a piece of paper that gets you the material things that you want, but a mind is a terrible thing to waste. At the age of 17, I wish I could have listened to those fine words that my grandmother had told me. If I was able to go back to the "me" in high school; I would definately lecture myself till I was blue in the face. I would stop myself from being a follower of the crowds. I would talk to my counselors at school see what university or colleges were out there for me. I would strongly recommend a campus tour of the schools that had the degree I was trying to pursue and I would have a college coach to help guide me so that I can stay on track. I would focus more on getting a better grade point average and developing interviewing skills. If only we had time machines that can take us back in time to that person we were before, I am sure that things would be differernt.

Adrian

College gives you more than just a degree. It?s a place to learn and help you become an independent individual. Make sure that you apply early and talk to those who are willing to help you succeed. Listen to those who have been placed in the college atmosphere. College students and professors are perfect examples of whom to take advice from. More importantly talk to your parents. Make sure that they are aware of what you want to do. Your parents want to see you succeed. They would do anything to make that happen. Do research about your desired schools. Find out what you want to study, affordability, class sizes, extra curricular activities and location. Visit all the schools that interest you. Spend the night at a school or step into a classroom and get the real feel. Don?t think you can?t afford a school. Apply for FAFSA and look at the thousands of scholarships available to students. When it comes down to it the decision is yours not anyone else?s. Anything is achievable in life if you are willing to work hard and accept the challenge.

I would advise myself to be more focused on getting involved on campus and making more friends at the beginning of freshman year. I would also advise myself to not stay in the dorms, as their poor quality often made me ill, and my roommate wasn't a good person. I would also advise myself to plan ahead for what classes I wanted to take, and to not take so many electives, but to take more general education classes. Also, to avoid Dr. Das's Biblical Studies, and to study harder in Intro to Microeconomics. Finally, I would advise myself to be careful with whom I make friends with, and to probably avoid people that are like myself, because its probably better to be friends that are different from myself rather than the same.

Ivonne

The first thing I would tell my 18 year-old self is patience is a must, and understanding to overcome the highs and the lows of any situation. I would also let myself know that the connections that I was going to make with teachers and students is just as beneficial as reading books and the library. When first entering into a new environment, keep an open mind and heart. This will help you see what is normally hidden to you otherwise. Also, don?t be afraid to let people know that you don?t understand things. It?s ok to ask questions. Furthermore, don?t let anyone take advantage of your kindness and willingness to succeed. The most important advice I would have given myself would be although the classes are tough and mentally challenging, in the end there are tons of people there to help you through it all, so take advantage of it and don?t let your pride stand in the way of your education. Above all else, remember who you are and be true to your heart and mind. Our mind has limitless possibilities; it is also the one thing that can cause our limitations.

Aspyn

I can just imagine the high school senior version of me, merely one year ago. Stressing over applications, scrambling for teacher recommendations, and trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible before I bid adieu to the school I was tired of. I had this weird notion that somehow, once high school ended, life was going to get harder, more intense, and I'd be on anti-depressants within the first year if I wasn't careful enough. What a gross misconception! Freeze frame like they do in movies, and one would find me spending countless hours in my Advanced Physics class, devoting many hours to understanding the material. College Me would approach High School Me, look her in the eyes and tell her that college and high school are NOT dangerously different from one another. In fact, they are quite similar. You are making moves to secure a future, meeting new people, embarking on new experiences, and finding yourself as a person. There is really nothing to fear about college. Everything usually falls in its right place, to quote Radiohead. I'd then leave the classroom, happy to have shed some knowledge to myself.

If I could go back and talk to myself a few years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have a lot to say. First I would tell myself how important it is to choose a college that is right for you. Look into every single detail such as class size, activities, and dorm experience, to make sure you will enjoy your time spent there. Also, pick classes that interest you. Doing this will make going to class and doing well a lot easier because you will actually be interested in the class content. Another important thing is to stay on top of your work. College classes are a lot different than High school, your teachers won't be as lenient when it comes to late and missing assignments and if you don't turn your work in your grades will drop. Lastly, GET INVOLVED! Your college experience will be much more fun if you get involved in clubs and sports and make new friends in the process.

Jean

Being that I graduated from high school in 1976 and had no idea of what or who I was or wanted to be, my first and foremost recommendation would be to finish college when you are young. Going to college and working full-time with a family is extremely difficult. Although, I must say that going to college as an adult made my learning experience much more gratifying. I believe the wisdom that I have as a working adult has made my academic learning easier. Another important thing for the younger students are to get a degree, when possible, in something that you really like to do or are passionate about, it will make your career choice much more pleasurable. And don't forget to have some fun in college. The friends you make in college are the friends that you will take into your adult life.

Knowing what I went through as a high school senior, I believe that i would have changed several aspects of my last year. FOr one I think I should have perservered more in following some more scholarship offers. I believe that would have helped me more. I also believe that I should have been more organized in the aspect of keeping and maintaining an everyday scheduler. I think that would have helped me the most in adapting to the tough scheduling in the college life.

Keep track of everything that you do. There will not be a guidance counsler or parent looking over all of your decisions, therefore it is up to you to be organized and know your own path to success. This is especially important in picking your classes, schedules, and activities. Don't over plan your class or activity schedule, and make sure that the classes you choose pertain and apply to your major.

Going back to myself as a high school student would be very interesting because although I am only through my first semester at Elmhurst College I have already changed and matured in so many ways. I would tell myself to be ready for change, to work hard, and to have an awesome time. I'd make sure to mention that getting involved and being social are essential to a fun and rewarding year at college. Otherwise it is easy to get stuck in a rut, just going to class and hanging out with a small group of people. When this happens the learning, maturing, and everything else starts to slow. The last piece of advice i would give my high school self is to study. Although it may not have been necessary in high school it definately will be in college.

Can you ever change the past? Would you want to, if you could? I was told, in high school, never to open an essay with a rhetorical question. Since entering college, I've heard from various professors all kinds of nutty statements that I will disregard before graduating--but I have learned other things which I hope I will never forget. The first of which is perhaps the harshest: yes, he really did just use you for sex. And he'll keep it up if you let him. Guys suck in high school, but especially in college. The hardest lessons to learn are the ones that hit closest to home. Once you learn that one, you'll quickly learn when to take a drunk friend to the hospital--if you aren't sure, take them. And if you go out on a week night, set at least 5 alarms so you can make it to class the next day. The classes you'll take your first 2 years may not teach you anything conceptually (they aren't like high school APs) but they will teach you how to learn, which is more valuable in many ways.

I would advise myself not to worry. Even though college is stressful, if you stay focused and determined, anything is possible. College is a time for discovering yourself and reaching new limits in your academic career. As long as you are serious about your school work and remain focused, college can be easy. College is fun, exciting, and full of new surprises. College is a place where friends are made and life careers begin. I would go back and tell myself that college will be a wonderful new experience and there is nothing to be afraid of!

Marta

Save every penny now for future tuition and related expenses. Going to college is expensive, but it's the best investment you'll ever make, so don't hesitate to make that expense, just be well prepared for it.

Kimber

I would tell myself to go to college and be the person that you really want to be. In high school you tend to feed off of your friends and have a little of their personality in yours (especially in a small school); you may gossip too much or get into too many fights or drama, and it may not be the person you really want to be. Go to college and join clubs, make new friends and make your own personality stand out. And don't forget to change the world!

Do not think that senior year is a blow-off year. It is really important to put effort into all your classes even though you are almost graduated.

Enjoy every minute you have! Don't take your education for granted. This is a wonderful opportunity I have to attend college. Meet people, make connections, and absorb all. Afterall, these people and my education will be with me for the rest of my life!

Jelena

I would advise myself to participate in many activities on campus and join a sport as well. In addition, I would tell myself to look out for any opportunities to find friends and interact with more people on campus. I'd also tell myself to use more resources open to students that need help with school work.