Elmira, NY
Elmira College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmira College

Nicholas

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice about the transition to college what would I say? First I would tell myself to pay better attention and try harder in my math courses because it’s really not as hard as you think it is. I would also tell myself to take the SAT’s and apply to colleges, because working on cars in a body shop isn’t as great as you might think it is. I would also stress how important it is to go to college right after high school, because it would be a lot easier to transition to college then as opposed to waiting till your 33 years old and married with a baby on the way. Also to listen to the advice mom and dad give you, they are not really trying to control your life. By following the values they taught you will keep you from making some bonehead decisions along the way. Now only if it was really possible for people to go back in time and set themselves on the right track, just think of the improvement in life everyone would have.

Monica

My classmates are hardworkers and have come to Elmira to learn.

My classmates are hardworkers and have come to Elmira to learn.

Hello highschool self. I have a very personal piece of advice for you to get you ready for college: Start working now on getting rid of your tendancy to procrastinate. This will save you from much sleep deprivation, you will earn better grades, and have less stress your first semester in college. Sure, you are getting away with procrastinating on your papers or projects for class in highschool and still getting really good grades now, but that is not going to be the case when you get to college. Your professors will know from the quality of your work, (and how awful you look in class), that you slapped your assignment together the night before. You will not get the grades you are used to with this approach when you are in college and that will shake your confidence. Instead of doing your assignments all at once, do a little bit every day and try to finish your work a day or two early. This lowers your stress level immensely and will give you enough time to have your assignment proofread at the writing lab. You will then definitely pull A's across the board.

My campus is just beautiful and the surrounding areas have alot of hills and hiking. My school has alot of extra curricular activities and I am able to still participate in a dance group and have leaned tap dancing also! Our class sizes are 10-15 and my professors and I definitely have a good working relationship; they know who I am and are very willing to assist outside of class time. I feel like I made the best choice for me when I picked this school!

Shaquirah

Hello Shaquirah. I have some advice I would like to share with you about college life and how to make a simple transition. For one, please, do not throw away your chances of getting grants and scholarships. You need to work hard and keep your grades up. You have every opportunity to be the best you can be and make a name for yourself. Two, make sure to fill out your FAFSA early! Get all the financial aid help you can get in addition to grants and scholarships. Three, register for all of your classes early. Do not get stuck in the position of trying to find a class that isn't already closed because you waited too long to register. Four, go to orientation, it is always a big help, get to know your professors, and get all of your school supplies early. There is a big difference between high school and college. These are just simple tasks for you to do to ensure a smooth transition. I hope something I said sticks and I wish you all the best of luck!

Johnea

As an older me, i would tell my Senior self not to over-think the whole college life. I would also tell myself not to allow my mother to coax me into bringing so much unneccessary and useless stuff. I would also advise myself to pay more attention in my senior classes. I found that alot of the subject matter my classes covered the first half of my Freshmen year was very similar to the subject matter in my classes senior year. This would help me when better understanding the material in my classes.

I wish I knew about the disgusting smell from the cat dissections. The whole entire science building smells like the chemicals used in the dissection of the cats. And the smell gets into your clothes and it sticks around for months at a time, even after a thorough cleaning.

The most frustrating fact about Elmira College are the required programs they have. They have a mandatory class that all freshmen must take which is about learning to except other cultures, but the teachers don't even teach based on that. And then they require students to attend performances that don't even peek the interest of the audience, most of the audience falls asleep halfway through the performance due to the dull content of the performance.

nicole

Dear High School Me, I want to give you a little heads up on the college life. Before you go, make sure to apply for every scholarship you qualifty for. They add up and are extremely important. It may seem life mom is always on your case, but listen to her; she knows a lot more than you think. Do not bring your whole wardrob; you will not need it, trust me. Pay attention in classes and always try your best. Make as many friends as possible and you do not need to have a boyfriend in the beginning of your freshman year. There will be parties, dont go to all of them and make sure you keep up with your studies. Elmira does get rainy, bring rainboots; you will need them. One last thing, be kind to everyone and keep an open mind; I know you will do just great. Signed, Your College Self

Any individual with dedication, committment, a drive for academic success, and an open mind should attend this school. The campus is very diverse in cultural backgrounds as many students are in fact international students. With so much diversity, the students here should pocess tolerance or acceptance of other cultures.

Elmira College has great academic courses and a community service which enables each student to give back to the community and have a more well-rounded individual with dedication and drive. They also have a wide variety of clubs on campus and the campus is very small which gives it a community and family-like feel.You feel right at home, here; it is truly a home away from home.

Jordan

If I could go back in time to one of the most memorable years of my life, when I was a high school senior, I would not tell myself to change anything. I would not want to know how to prevent the mistakes I have made or what choices I should have picked. Reflecting on the choices I have made, both right and wrong, I do not regret any one of them. I have learned so much, especially from my mistakes. By telling me to avoid one of them, I would miss out on the experiences that have helped me develop into a strong and confident person. I have been out of high school for three years now. I remember thinking in high school that college was some kind of foreign place. I didn’t know what to expect and I remember being so scared about the future. Back then, I would have traded anything for my own advice about college. However, today I am so glad I had to figure things out on my own because now it will be that much easier to make my next, even bigger transition: entering the real world.

Before coming to this school, I wish I had known that I would enjoy it here. I remember be so worried about coming to this college because I thought it was too small and I would not like being here. If I would have known how friendly the people were and how easy it is to fit in here, it would have saved me much worries.

Probably the worst thing that I consider about my school is that students are not encouraged to leave campus. In addition to this, it is required that students must live on campus all four years of school. I feel as if students should have the option to live off campus. Not only do I feel like they should not have to live in dorms all four years, I also think that they should be encouraged to venture into the downtown area. This area is filled with several small businesses and beautiful places that many students do not even know about.

Elmira College is a landscaped bubble, the campus is beautiful and the people are incredibly nice but there is nothing to expand on in the community.

Just be yourself. You're going to bounce between friend groups until you find those few people that you really connect to. It's ok not to know exactly where you fit in all the time. It's good to utilize the many relationships you create.

Elmira College is very self-absorbed and not open to different view points. It does not take the concerns of the students as seriously as it should nor does it act in a timely fasion.

Sadie

If I could go back and write a letter to myself as a high school senior, I would change only a few things. I would take the time to apply to many schools in state as well as out-of-state regardless of how pig-headed and determined I was on leaving my home state of Maine. I would take the time to visit more college campuses and give larger universities a chance. Smaller is not always better, as I have learned the hard way. I would listen to the wise and caring words of my family and friends who have always guided me with only the best intentions at heart. Maybe if I had done these few things as a senior in high school, I would not be struggling with the process of trasnferring as a freshman in college to a larger university back home.

I find the Saturday freshman writing classes at 8am to be one of the biggest turn-offs in choosing Elmira College. The course is rigorous and an excellent class to teach discipline and writing style, the only thing I would not recrommend is the 8o'clock meetings on Saturday mornings. Students need sleep and able to have time for the weekend to start in order to complete the loads of homework given throughout the week.

A person who takes great joy in the little things a small prestigous college has to offer: personal tutors, small class sizes, one-on-one academic advisor sessions weekly, writing tutorials, encore performances at local theatres for free and many wonderful chances to heighten one's resume with community service at multiple agencies throughout the county.

In all honesty, I think that I wouldnt have much to change. I have worked hard and I feel like I have done all the things that I could think of to help further myself thus far. Looking back to High School, however, I would defiantly would have recommended that I take advantage of more opportunities that were given to me. I regret not challanging myself more during my senior year and not taking advantage of discounted college classes at the community college.

Kim

I would let myself know that college is a great opportunity to learn responsibility and that you can not truly be prepared until you step on campus and mom/dad drives away. It definitely is not like the movies. Everything in life, college included, will be what you make of it. Make friends, that does not mean you are leaving behind your high school friends. Be willing to open up and let others in. Take risks! Go outside of your comfort zone and join a new group or become an officer for something you might not have in high school. Just because you were the President of the school in high school, you may not want to be or even be able to be the president of your class in college, and that's okay! Know that the relationship you have with professors is often very different than relationships with high school teachers. Have fun (when the time is appropriate, and sometimes when it isn't). DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! Be true to yourself, your morals, your faith, your family, and your friends. Enjoy, because the real world isn't all it is cracked up to be.

The best thing about Elmira is how tight knit the school community is. The school spirit is incredible and the clubs and activities are diverse and fun.

A person who is committed to hard work and willing to let their hair down a bit on the weekends. A person who appreciates history and tradition would love Elmira.

Elmira College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.