Elmira, NY
Elmira College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmira College

Rebecca

It is a very hard task to be able to describe my classmates in one sentences, that is because there is a large mix of different people at my school, they range from atheletes, science buffs, art majors, but all of these people are very serious about their education and give one hundred percent every day.

My school is best known for their extraordinary campus, the beauty is truly amazing and it surpasses any other school that I have ever visited.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are a lot of things that I would tell myself. Especially in regards to the college experience that I have had so far. I would tell myself to make sure that I knew how to manage my time the best. One of the hardest transitions to make when going into college was that there was no one there telling me what to do with all of the free time that I had. I would also tell myself to make sure that I had my priorities straight in regards to going out. It is vitally important that any new college freshman know what their priorities are in regards to schoolwork and going out. The most important thing that I would tell myself would be just to have fun and not get too stressed from the amount of work that is given to the students during the first term of college.

Maria

Elmira College is best known as a liberal arts college but it offers nursing programs, premed, pre law, English and many more...

In the last couple of Month as a college student, I have learned so much and have improved so much in my studies. I have certainly learned how to manage my time better and I so far I have found friends that I know are going to be there even after we graduate. I am becoming more sociable and I am becoming a better indiviadual who appreciates the Arts and other cultures, I am a person that is beginning to appreciate classical literature and many other scholarly persuits.

The Food is actually pretty good compared to other cafeteria food and there's more varieties. We certantly don't go hungry here in Elmira College, there's the normal dining hall but there's also Mackenzies which has the normal fast food like burgers and pizza. There's also the 1855 room which is like a cafe and you can have Starbucks coffe and food as well.

Jordan

Elmira is a great small liberal arts college. It's an absolutely beautiful campus with small classes. The biggest drawback of the college is the lack of a "collegetown". However, there are some great towns/cities surrounding Elmira that really aren't far away. I met some of my best friends at EC. The adminstration is another part of EC that needs some improvement. Dr. Meier did a fanstastic job fixing the college when it was in shambles. But it's time for him to retire! Hopefully that will happen soon!!!

Students are required to live in dorms unless they live within a certain distance. I liked this aspect of the school because everyone was right there. Partying was definitely a huge part of college but it wasn't required. You can go out a party but you don't have to. There are plenty of activities on campus who don't want to party.

Freshmen writing...not fun. However, once you're done with that, it's a great place to get an education. I left EC ready to do my job and felt completely prepared. The small class sizes were helpful in that my professors knew me and were readily available to assist me in any way.

For the most part, NO. Like every small private college, there are a few full payers that are stuck up. However, the majority of the students are down to earth.

It's a quirky little place that you can find a lot wrong with. But go in with an open mind and with the reality of no place is perfect, and you will enjoy your time at EC. But, it has to be the right fit for you. It certainly was for me.

The student body is pretty open to everyone. It's a small private school, so there is usually a certain type of student that goes there. But honestly, I was never a witness to any racism, sexism, etc.

Derek

What I've gotton out of my experience at Elmira College is a seed. Lots of little seeds actually, from all kinds of people. Metaphorical seeds of course, what I mean is that there are amazing people who have experienced incredible situations. The great thing is that experiences can be shared as well as the lessons learned form them. The trick is to be able to get people to open up to you and you to them. When you really learn accept people for who they are then you are able to see past just what your eyes are showing you and what the heart has been telling everyone all along, we're all in this together. For me Elmira had just the right factors that allowed me to realize this and because of that I shared wonderfull conversations with people. This is where that seed comes in, that little piece of wisdom you get from having a completely spontaneous and wonderfull conversation with whom only a few hours ago was a stranger. So take that little seed of wisdom and let it grow so that you too can share a little seed with a friendly stranger.

The people that seem to find Elmira are the best part about Elmira. Sure you have your bad eggs now and again but overall there are some fantastically interesting peole if you take the time to know them.

As an art major the size of the school limits the range of classes that we offer. Although all the classes that are offered are GREAT!

Robin

I am a sophomore at Elmira College. I am a double major and have the Presidential Scholarship, or roughly half of my tuition paid. If you were to come here for more than a week while the campus is not gilded for potential freshmen, you would find that the list of negatives versus positives is many times longer. Yes, the campus is small, so you know everyone and your teachers know your name. Yes, the campus is quite pretty, so laying outside during the spring is wonderful. But, the cost, both in value and actual money, is too high. EC has an incredibly backwards administration. It reminds you of a 1950s campus, fake smiles and fake laughter everywhere. I could write of a dozen different things trying to explain to you just how pitiful this school is, but it really requires experiencing it. Once there are no parents and the freshmen have finished orientation, the school becomes something different altogether. If you want a small school, just look somewhere else. Several years of your life wasted is not worth a mere scholarship. I am leaving next year, and then I can finally have a college experience.

There have been several racist acts that have occurred over just the last year. Every student that wants to attend an actual college, instead of partying away their money for an education that will get them nowhere, will feel out of place.

I came to Elmira College because of the scholarship. It was amazing because college suddenly became cheaper. I was a high honors student in high school and had several other opportunities at more prestigious schools. If you are not offered a scholarship, then not only should you not come here, you should not THINK about coming to Elmira College.

A lot of busy work for a little learning. Students are not competitive at all. The college does not encourage students to succeed and the culture is to not succeed.

There is absolutely no social life besides sitting in your room with a few friends drinking. That is it. That is all we do.

They are lazy, stupid, and bigoted.

Christina

I need to be very organized in college. I need to learn to use my computer as a back up for my work. I have to remember to save all of my work in a special folder for each class. I have to remind myself of my priorities in regards to my work. I want to get my best grades so I may have to eliminate some of my social activities to a minimum so that I can focus on my education, which will be my future life. I need to make sure that I am always prepared for class, even over prepared some days. I will have to maintain a very strict calendar as to when things are due. Professors will not be tolerant of late work like some of my high school teachers. I will need to stop making excuses why I haven?t completed something that is due. I will have to learn to plan my time wisely, make sure I eat properly to keep focused, and get as much sleep as possible. I will have to learn to shut people out of my work area so that I can concentrate on the task at hand.

I love Elmira College. One is that the people that I have met and become friends with are wonderful. I have met people from all over who also chose Elmira for its academics and family oriented campus. The classes are great. If you have questions in your class your professors are always available. Every night in the freshman dorms they have upper classmen who are available to help with subjects that they have taken. Elmira also requires community service, which is a wonderful way for us to help us learn about how to live and be part of a community.

I would have to say that one of the most frustrating things the first semester was a writing class that was required on Saturday morning. It was difficult making myself get up to attend the class after a busy week of classes. I did learn about writing better, but I didn?t like getting up early for it. It also made it difficult if you wanted to take a quick weekend trip home to visit family, but that could be why they had it then so you were forced to stay on campus to avoid homesickness that many freshman acquire.

Caitlin

Elmira College is a school deeply rooted in tradition; the school is small however, students are able to get the special attention they may need from professors when students struggle with class material.

I would tell myself that before I even begin looking for colleges, I should know what I am looking for in a school and what I am not looking for in a school. It could be anything from size, types of dorms, sports, activities, and number of students. I would also tell myself to seriously consider the distance a school is from home because living without your parents for the first time is tough. Distance from home is something that I would tell myself to carefully consider becasue the farther you are form home, the tougher it is emotionally. I would also tell myself to prepare and practice time management skills in my last semester/term of high school becasue time management is crucial when dealin with the college workload. I would also tell myself that I should practice social skills. When going to college, especially if you do not know anyone at the college before you get there, it is crucial to make new friends so that way you can have study groups and people to hang around with on the weekends so you are not lonely.

There are a lot of things that are really great about Elmira College, one of the best parts of EC is the traditions; both the staff and student engage in the college's traditions and the students orgainizing events keep the mood light and everyone always has a lot of fun.

Crystal

Be thankful. At this point in your life, whether you know it or not, you have been handed many gifts. Maybe you were allowed to pass a class when you didn't really earn the grade. Maybe you had a caring parent who always did your laundry so you would have clean clothes. Maybe a friend took the blame for something you did, to allow you to be able to keep going. You are about to be let go. No, you won't be abandoned. Professors, parents, and friends will still care. But you will be forced to make things happen for yourself. It will be entirely your choice as to whether you make a place for yourself in this world, or fall on your face. Use the gifts you were given. They are tools. Know where those gifts came from, and be thankful you have them.

I wish I had some more hands-on experience with what the job I was going to school for really entails. I had read descriptions, but they were misleading. Now that I know a little more, I can refocus my attention and my efforts to allow me the career that will make me happy.

Someone who doesn't want to work hard to get what they want should not attend this school. Really, that is good advice for any school. If you aren't willing to put the effort in, you aren't going to succeed.

Donna-Lee

Don't take yourself too seriously. Just because high school is nearly completed, there is still much to learn about people, human nature, and most importantly, yourself. Enjoy the time you have right now with the people in your life right now, but be prepared to make room for new people and enjoy new experiences, but most of all, be prepared to grow and spend time becoming the person you want to be.

A person who is friendly, open to having close friendships with a lot of different types of people, someone who appreciates the color purple and the fact that we have our own "politically correct" system, and is willing to be an active part of a close-knit community.

Caitlin

This school is best known for its love of tradition. We have a connection to Mark Twain, since this is the area where he summered, and the school definitely celebrates that connection. His study where he wrote his famous works is located on campus, and there is also a special program directed mainly for Mark Twain Studies. The school is also the first woman's college in the United States, and that tradition is celebrated as well, especially through our choice of colors which are purple and gold, the colors of the feminist movement.

I would go back and tell myself to get involved in school as early as possible. I was not all that involved freshman year, and now I wish I had been. I am now a part of a lot of awesome clubs and events, and I wish I had known about them much sooner so I could have spent more time getting to know the people I know now. I am also more outgoing now, and I would tell my high school self to work on that as soon as possible, too. I came into college undecided, not knowing what I wanted to do, and I would have counseled my high school self on figuring that out sooner. It was not an entirely rough transition for me; I just wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. It just would have helped a lot, and I think it would have been a lot easier knowing what I wanted to do my freshman year and it would have been easier getting more involved.

My school is focused on school spirit, and hard work. The freshman writing program is very intensive, and there is a required theater program focused on culturally diverse and classical performances. It is a very small school, and while there are parties, there are none like in a university setting. We don't have fraternities or sororities. Students looking for a party atomosphere will not find it. Hardworking, friendly, and students interested in the world should definitely apply.

Elmira College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.