Elmira, NY
Elmira College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmira College

Colleen

A small but fun, caring and great learning environment; a great place to be.

A small but fun, caring and great learning environment; a great place to be.

Our school is best known for its colors, Purple and Gold; it is also known for Mark Twain.

I would tell myself that College life can be hard but it also is fun.;If you work hard you can achieve your goals. I would also tell myself that you can find and make great friends while going to college, and they can turn into life long friends.I would also tell myself to go right after high school and not wait until i was 32 years old to go back to school; because it is harder when you are raising a family. I would also tell myself to enjoy campus life and the friendships that are made and be grateful for them, i do this everyday.

Theresa

My classmates are very considerable and nice.

My classmates are very considerable and nice.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself not to take anybody's crap. I would tell myself to learn to stick up for myself because it isn't good to have people walk all over you. I'd tell myself to develop a back bone and not be the person that can't say no to anybody. But more importantly I would tell myself to not be afraid to stand on my own two feet and to not be afraid of what other people think of me. I'd tell myself that because the only person's opinion that matters about how I am is me.

I wish I had known that the tuition would increase a great deal each year.

Alyssa

I would tell myself to not take Japanese in Sophomore year. I would also tell myself to skip Latin and take Spanish. The transition was fine for me so I would pat myself on the back and say go get a job so you can pay off your loans. Good luck.

The feeling of family, that is what made me pick this school.

Kara

I think what is unique is that it is a small campus that is big on tradition. The school has school songs that are passed on and traditions that are handed down year after year, i think it is great. Traditions aren't around like they used to be, but at Elmira they are.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself not to stress so much about the future. That I am a resonsible and intelligent person who has a good head on her shoulders so i should not worry about picking the wrong college for me. I would tell myself that to be excited because there will be people in the same boat as me when I am at school and that I won't be alone in making the transition from home. The people around me will experience the same things as me, and together we will learn to adjust to college life, and I can help them transition and they can help me as well. The people at this college care and are helpful people who want to see students and/or friends succeed. I would tell myself not to worry so much and to enjoy the excitement of a big and wonderful change about to occur in my life; one that will help me to grow as a person in all aspects of life.

The worst thing about my school is that people drink too much on the weekends. I feel like they do not realize the dangers of it and don't take it seriously when accidents happen or injuries occur. The school tries to keep control of it, and make sure students caught drinking accesively and cause problems from it are punished but i don't feel like it is effective. I feel like students are in danger. Though it is not an uncommon problem at any college.

Jaclyn

Elmira College is a small, private college surrounded by its school colors, purple and gold, and feels like home to me.

It has a small campus, but still has many activities during the year. The class size is small, which allows the teachers to know each student more and allows them to be more able to help the student if they need help. It has tons of school spirit and I like that you will know who doesn't attend the school since the campus is so small and you know almost everyone. It has good academic programs and great career opportunities for after graduation.

The transition depends on if you go to a small school or not. Since my school is small, the class size is similar to what I had in high school. The main transition that I need to go through was being away from home and dealing with more academic work and commitments. If you put your mind to your work, however, you will be fine in the academic transition. As for being away from home, it is hard at first, but it gets easier because you're fellow classmates are almost all going through the same thing. You just need to become more responsible and learn to become dependent on yourself and not others. It is you're life and you are in control so no one should tell you what you should or should not participate in or what to do with your life. If you do not have a major, it's fine - just take the general requirements and it will eventually come to you. Everything will work out if you just put your mind to it and don't give up.

Angela

Going off to college is a huge mile stone in a young man or woman's life. It is also a life changing decision. Parents and students should be confident with their choice and excited about the decision. Visiting the school and talking with current students is a great way to get a feel of the school atmosphere. The college he or she chooses will become their home, so it is important that the school not only offers academic needs, but social ones as well. For the students who choose a school and end up regretting the decison, get out. The longer the wait the harder the transition will be at a new school. Never settle, go with your gut feeling. If it tells you that something is not right keep looking, the perfect fit is waiting.

School spirit is a major part of Elmira College. Everyone is engaged and school oriented that we have our own tight knit community.

Someone who is looking for a school that is into traditions and school spirit. Also, being that it is a smaller school, someone looking at EC should be excited about knowing the student body and the faculty and staff.

Evan

visit the school and don't depend on the tour guid for all of your info, try to meet other people who go to the school and ask what it is like once orientation ends and the parents leave campus.

the students themselves are an awesome gorup of people, mostly everyone gets along except the people who are just unagreeable in general, also the in-class experience here is very strong, with small classes and very kind and passionate professors the learning is made easier and the workload seems to lighten because of this.

The faculty here is really not on the students' side, they are always out to punish students and kind of mold the student body to weed out student who don't fit their ideal.

Christina

Go to the place that is going to best suit you all around. Don't just go to a college because they have your "major" because you will probably change it anyway. Go somewhere you feel comfortable and will not come out of burried in debt. Being challenged and being comfortable with your surrounding are the two most important things in finding the right college.

There are not a lot of clubs and stuff around to do off campus. Although there are no sororities of fraternities the life is based around the hockey team and the cheerleaders.

Kortney

Elmira College is small and full of school spirit!

Elmira College is small and full of school spirit!

Visit lots of colleges and visit them early in high school. Then, you will find one that 'just feels right.'

A person that wants their professors to know them as a person, not just as a number.

Hilary

The student should definitely be actively involved in the college-searching process--the parents should not be doing all the work! The student will know when he or she has found the right school, which is why visiting campuses is really important. You don't really get the "feel" of the school without visiting or getting a tour. Also, parents and students should agree on a price range and distance before looking at schools--this will definitely help in limiting where to look. And try not to stress out too much--there is a school for everyone!

The close-knit community, the friendly environment, and the attention from the administration and professors.

Someone that wants Greek life or a large school.

Elmira College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.