Elmira, NY
Elmira College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmira College

Visit schools, do overnights, and pick one that has several majors that interest you so that if you change your path you arent necessarily forced to transfer if you like your school

The friends I have made.

EC is considered the first women's college in the US.

EC is considered the first women's college in the US.

Thank of what you like to do at home. What do you like about your high school, what don't you like? What do you like about your town, what don't you like? See if you can talk to any students (not staff!) from the school and get their opinions. Spend the overnight. And don't forget that a person changes in four years, especially at this age! Think about every aspect, even the littlest detail, because it could be that detail that is crucial to your happiness. In the end though, don't discount your gut feeling. That's how I chose Elmira, and I've been mostly very happy here the entire four years!

I wish I knew more about the surrounding town and what there was to do on the weekends.

Willie

Our school is probably most well known for for its Encore program and required freshman writing courses. Encore is a program freshman and sophomores must take to become more culturally diverse by watching performances from all cultures. The freshman writing course is a writing intensive course all freshman students must take, and all students are required to do a 20 page research paper. One last thing this campus is most well known for is the art professor Marc Dennis. He is very well respected in the art world and is extremely talented.

Visit the campus first, and make friends. The bonds you establish in college will be important down the road. Make friends with as many people as you can without trying to harm yourself to be friends with them. (I don't suggest sorrorities or fraternities. Many of them force you to leave your first group of friends.)

Those who are completely unwilling to do school work should not attend this college. Students pay way too much to go here to completely not do their work.

Marguerite

The most amazing people I have ever met in my life; they are always there for you no matter what and are so supportive of everyone whether it is your best friend or someone you didn't even know.

Picking the right college can be scary and overwhelming but it is important to follow your heart. I looked at twelve colleges in five days and by the time I got to my last one I as sick of looking at schools and did not care where I went; but after my tour and interview I knew that Elmira College was the right place for me and now a junior there could not imagine my self anywhere else. Before you begin the looking process select colleges that fit a list of criteria such as size, majors, extracurricular activities and sports. Having all of these will help narrow the list of possible choices and make the selection process easier. It is important to listen to what your student wants as it is him that will be spending the next four years of their lives there. Just remember to have fun when selecting colleges it should be an exciting time not a stressful one.

The community of the school is amazing. The professors are so understanding and supportive and willing to go out of their way for students. There is so much to do to get involved from clubs to varsity sports, with intermurals and JV sports for students as well. There is always something going on at campus no matter what day of the week it is and it is impossible not to get involved, make friends and have a great and positive college experience.

Bethany

the awful male to female ratios and how much that affects student life, especially for straight females; also the surrounding town

I would definitely tell them that overnight stays at the college with a current student are very important. This way, the prospective student can get a more in-depth look at what campus life will be like. It is all about finding a school that you feel very comfortable at. You should be able to see yourself living happily on campus, being challenged in classes, and having a lot of extra-curricular activities to participate in. You should also be comfortable with the average social situation of the school, because that can really make or break your college experience. Academics are very important and it is important to be happy in what you are doing. But from personal experience, the social aspect of college is what you will honestly remember the most, whether is was amazing or terrible.

Christopher

When doing your college search really take the time to research your schools, go on visits and stay over night, ask questions,attend a few classes to get the feel, talk to students that are currently enrolled, and act early. This is a very important investment, so it is very important to find a college that best fits you. In order to be sucsessful at your college you need to like the place that you are attending.

It is a small liberal arts college that is more like a comunity than just a school. As a result of this students are able to benifit in several ways, such as, small class sizes, where you are not just a number, a personal relationship with your proffesors, and a place that feels like home because everyone knows your name.

Some of the required coarses. For example encore and two culture classes. These tend interfer with the amount of time you can spend on your major, especailly if you are playing a varsity sport.

Robert

Ask the college about average class sizes and match that to your preference. Look at the surrounding area of the college; if you will be there for 4 years, you need to like the area you are in. Take a tour of the campus and stay overnight, no matter what. If interested in sports, ask to meet the coach AND talk with members of the team you hope to play on. Ask about other clubs and teams as well. Sit in on a class or two, observe the teacher. Ask enrolled students about workload and amount of time to yourself.

Someone who wants small class sizes and doesn't mind having a lot of free time if not involved in sports.

Alexandra

Really visit really look around don't settel look at where you want to be after school, will this school be able to get you there ?

The firends I made and only a few of the professors. You have to make it for yourself or else you will hate it.

Someone who is out going who will be able to make it for themselves. Someone who can keep up with work.

Marissa

Elmira College is best known for hockey as far as sports go and nursing and education for academics

I am the oldest child, therefore the first to go through the college search process with my parents. What helped me the most in making my decision was getting out there and taking advantage of all the colleges had to offer. I went on tours at every college I applied to, I did overnights, ate meals at these different schools (trust me, liking the food is important), I sat in on classes. I graduated with 100 kids in my senior class in high school, big universities were intimidating and I liked the specialized attention small colleges offered their students. This was a huge deciding factor for me when deciding where to apply. Now looking back on my decision I am pleased to see what was important to me has held true. Once school started I joined clubs early, got involved. It was the easiest way to make friends, if you're in the same club you most likely have something in common, I joined sports and went to the gym, also great places to meet people. Although I live 1 1/2 hours from home I stayed on the weekends, it was by far the best way to make friends.

I really wish I had known how small the school really is and what the area the around the school was really like, things to do in town.

Elmira College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.