Elmira College Top Questions

Emily, you have worked so hard to reach this point in your life. You picked up the pieces of your troubled past and ran foward; plowing through any obsticle that you encountered. College is indeed a reality and you will be leaving home in less than a year. What on Earth should you expect? Sure, everyone has their own stories to tell and advice to share, but how can you prepare yourself? College seems terrifying. At this point you are probably thinking that professors are more like mythical creatures than actual people and you are awaiting the terrors of shared living space. Let's not forget the all night homework sessions. But, I have good news. There is absolutely no reason for you to worry. As long as you are responsible and keep your work ethic, college will be the most amazing experience of your life. Don't be afraid to befriend those you normally would not. Talk to your professors. Apply to research programs, becuase you never know, you might just get accepted. The worst thing you can do is stress and doubt yourself. College is such a life changing transition, so sit back and enjoy it.

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice about the transition to college what would I say? First I would tell myself to pay better attention and try harder in my math courses because it’s really not as hard as you think it is. I would also tell myself to take the SAT’s and apply to colleges, because working on cars in a body shop isn’t as great as you might think it is. I would also stress how important it is to go to college right after high school, because it would be a lot easier to transition to college then as opposed to waiting till your 33 years old and married with a baby on the way. Also to listen to the advice mom and dad give you, they are not really trying to control your life. By following the values they taught you will keep you from making some bonehead decisions along the way. Now only if it was really possible for people to go back in time and set themselves on the right track, just think of the improvement in life everyone would have.

Hello highschool self. I have a very personal piece of advice for you to get you ready for college: Start working now on getting rid of your tendancy to procrastinate. This will save you from much sleep deprivation, you will earn better grades, and have less stress your first semester in college. Sure, you are getting away with procrastinating on your papers or projects for class in highschool and still getting really good grades now, but that is not going to be the case when you get to college. Your professors will know from the quality of your work, (and how awful you look in class), that you slapped your assignment together the night before. You will not get the grades you are used to with this approach when you are in college and that will shake your confidence. Instead of doing your assignments all at once, do a little bit every day and try to finish your work a day or two early. This lowers your stress level immensely and will give you enough time to have your assignment proofread at the writing lab. You will then definitely pull A's across the board.

Shaquirah

Hello Shaquirah. I have some advice I would like to share with you about college life and how to make a simple transition. For one, please, do not throw away your chances of getting grants and scholarships. You need to work hard and keep your grades up. You have every opportunity to be the best you can be and make a name for yourself. Two, make sure to fill out your FAFSA early! Get all the financial aid help you can get in addition to grants and scholarships. Three, register for all of your classes early. Do not get stuck in the position of trying to find a class that isn't already closed because you waited too long to register. Four, go to orientation, it is always a big help, get to know your professors, and get all of your school supplies early. There is a big difference between high school and college. These are just simple tasks for you to do to ensure a smooth transition. I hope something I said sticks and I wish you all the best of luck!

Johnea

As an older me, i would tell my Senior self not to over-think the whole college life. I would also tell myself not to allow my mother to coax me into bringing so much unneccessary and useless stuff. I would also advise myself to pay more attention in my senior classes. I found that alot of the subject matter my classes covered the first half of my Freshmen year was very similar to the subject matter in my classes senior year. This would help me when better understanding the material in my classes.

nicole

Dear High School Me, I want to give you a little heads up on the college life. Before you go, make sure to apply for every scholarship you qualifty for. They add up and are extremely important. It may seem life mom is always on your case, but listen to her; she knows a lot more than you think. Do not bring your whole wardrob; you will not need it, trust me. Pay attention in classes and always try your best. Make as many friends as possible and you do not need to have a boyfriend in the beginning of your freshman year. There will be parties, dont go to all of them and make sure you keep up with your studies. Elmira does get rainy, bring rainboots; you will need them. One last thing, be kind to everyone and keep an open mind; I know you will do just great. Signed, Your College Self

If I could go back in time to one of the most memorable years of my life, when I was a high school senior, I would not tell myself to change anything. I would not want to know how to prevent the mistakes I have made or what choices I should have picked. Reflecting on the choices I have made, both right and wrong, I do not regret any one of them. I have learned so much, especially from my mistakes. By telling me to avoid one of them, I would miss out on the experiences that have helped me develop into a strong and confident person. I have been out of high school for three years now. I remember thinking in high school that college was some kind of foreign place. I didn’t know what to expect and I remember being so scared about the future. Back then, I would have traded anything for my own advice about college. However, today I am so glad I had to figure things out on my own because now it will be that much easier to make my next, even bigger transition: entering the real world.

Just be yourself. You're going to bounce between friend groups until you find those few people that you really connect to. It's ok not to know exactly where you fit in all the time. It's good to utilize the many relationships you create.

Sadie

If I could go back and write a letter to myself as a high school senior, I would change only a few things. I would take the time to apply to many schools in state as well as out-of-state regardless of how pig-headed and determined I was on leaving my home state of Maine. I would take the time to visit more college campuses and give larger universities a chance. Smaller is not always better, as I have learned the hard way. I would listen to the wise and caring words of my family and friends who have always guided me with only the best intentions at heart. Maybe if I had done these few things as a senior in high school, I would not be struggling with the process of trasnferring as a freshman in college to a larger university back home.

In all honesty, I think that I wouldnt have much to change. I have worked hard and I feel like I have done all the things that I could think of to help further myself thus far. Looking back to High School, however, I would defiantly would have recommended that I take advantage of more opportunities that were given to me. I regret not challanging myself more during my senior year and not taking advantage of discounted college classes at the community college.

Kim

I would let myself know that college is a great opportunity to learn responsibility and that you can not truly be prepared until you step on campus and mom/dad drives away. It definitely is not like the movies. Everything in life, college included, will be what you make of it. Make friends, that does not mean you are leaving behind your high school friends. Be willing to open up and let others in. Take risks! Go outside of your comfort zone and join a new group or become an officer for something you might not have in high school. Just because you were the President of the school in high school, you may not want to be or even be able to be the president of your class in college, and that's okay! Know that the relationship you have with professors is often very different than relationships with high school teachers. Have fun (when the time is appropriate, and sometimes when it isn't). DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! Be true to yourself, your morals, your faith, your family, and your friends. Enjoy, because the real world isn't all it is cracked up to be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are a lot of things that I would tell myself. Especially in regards to the college experience that I have had so far. I would tell myself to make sure that I knew how to manage my time the best. One of the hardest transitions to make when going into college was that there was no one there telling me what to do with all of the free time that I had. I would also tell myself to make sure that I had my priorities straight in regards to going out. It is vitally important that any new college freshman know what their priorities are in regards to schoolwork and going out. The most important thing that I would tell myself would be just to have fun and not get too stressed from the amount of work that is given to the students during the first term of college.

In the last couple of Month as a college student, I have learned so much and have improved so much in my studies. I have certainly learned how to manage my time better and I so far I have found friends that I know are going to be there even after we graduate. I am becoming more sociable and I am becoming a better indiviadual who appreciates the Arts and other cultures, I am a person that is beginning to appreciate classical literature and many other scholarly persuits.

Derek

What I've gotton out of my experience at Elmira College is a seed. Lots of little seeds actually, from all kinds of people. Metaphorical seeds of course, what I mean is that there are amazing people who have experienced incredible situations. The great thing is that experiences can be shared as well as the lessons learned form them. The trick is to be able to get people to open up to you and you to them. When you really learn accept people for who they are then you are able to see past just what your eyes are showing you and what the heart has been telling everyone all along, we're all in this together. For me Elmira had just the right factors that allowed me to realize this and because of that I shared wonderfull conversations with people. This is where that seed comes in, that little piece of wisdom you get from having a completely spontaneous and wonderfull conversation with whom only a few hours ago was a stranger. So take that little seed of wisdom and let it grow so that you too can share a little seed with a friendly stranger.

I need to be very organized in college. I need to learn to use my computer as a back up for my work. I have to remember to save all of my work in a special folder for each class. I have to remind myself of my priorities in regards to my work. I want to get my best grades so I may have to eliminate some of my social activities to a minimum so that I can focus on my education, which will be my future life. I need to make sure that I am always prepared for class, even over prepared some days. I will have to maintain a very strict calendar as to when things are due. Professors will not be tolerant of late work like some of my high school teachers. I will need to stop making excuses why I haven?t completed something that is due. I will have to learn to plan my time wisely, make sure I eat properly to keep focused, and get as much sleep as possible. I will have to learn to shut people out of my work area so that I can concentrate on the task at hand.

I would tell myself that before I even begin looking for colleges, I should know what I am looking for in a school and what I am not looking for in a school. It could be anything from size, types of dorms, sports, activities, and number of students. I would also tell myself to seriously consider the distance a school is from home because living without your parents for the first time is tough. Distance from home is something that I would tell myself to carefully consider becasue the farther you are form home, the tougher it is emotionally. I would also tell myself to prepare and practice time management skills in my last semester/term of high school becasue time management is crucial when dealin with the college workload. I would also tell myself that I should practice social skills. When going to college, especially if you do not know anyone at the college before you get there, it is crucial to make new friends so that way you can have study groups and people to hang around with on the weekends so you are not lonely.

Be thankful. At this point in your life, whether you know it or not, you have been handed many gifts. Maybe you were allowed to pass a class when you didn't really earn the grade. Maybe you had a caring parent who always did your laundry so you would have clean clothes. Maybe a friend took the blame for something you did, to allow you to be able to keep going. You are about to be let go. No, you won't be abandoned. Professors, parents, and friends will still care. But you will be forced to make things happen for yourself. It will be entirely your choice as to whether you make a place for yourself in this world, or fall on your face. Use the gifts you were given. They are tools. Know where those gifts came from, and be thankful you have them.

Donna-Lee

Don't take yourself too seriously. Just because high school is nearly completed, there is still much to learn about people, human nature, and most importantly, yourself. Enjoy the time you have right now with the people in your life right now, but be prepared to make room for new people and enjoy new experiences, but most of all, be prepared to grow and spend time becoming the person you want to be.

I would go back and tell myself to get involved in school as early as possible. I was not all that involved freshman year, and now I wish I had been. I am now a part of a lot of awesome clubs and events, and I wish I had known about them much sooner so I could have spent more time getting to know the people I know now. I am also more outgoing now, and I would tell my high school self to work on that as soon as possible, too. I came into college undecided, not knowing what I wanted to do, and I would have counseled my high school self on figuring that out sooner. It was not an entirely rough transition for me; I just wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. It just would have helped a lot, and I think it would have been a lot easier knowing what I wanted to do my freshman year and it would have been easier getting more involved.

Colleen

I would tell myself that College life can be hard but it also is fun.;If you work hard you can achieve your goals. I would also tell myself that you can find and make great friends while going to college, and they can turn into life long friends.I would also tell myself to go right after high school and not wait until i was 32 years old to go back to school; because it is harder when you are raising a family. I would also tell myself to enjoy campus life and the friendships that are made and be grateful for them, i do this everyday.

Theresa

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself not to take anybody's crap. I would tell myself to learn to stick up for myself because it isn't good to have people walk all over you. I'd tell myself to develop a back bone and not be the person that can't say no to anybody. But more importantly I would tell myself to not be afraid to stand on my own two feet and to not be afraid of what other people think of me. I'd tell myself that because the only person's opinion that matters about how I am is me.

I would tell myself to not take Japanese in Sophomore year. I would also tell myself to skip Latin and take Spanish. The transition was fine for me so I would pat myself on the back and say go get a job so you can pay off your loans. Good luck.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself not to stress so much about the future. That I am a resonsible and intelligent person who has a good head on her shoulders so i should not worry about picking the wrong college for me. I would tell myself that to be excited because there will be people in the same boat as me when I am at school and that I won't be alone in making the transition from home. The people around me will experience the same things as me, and together we will learn to adjust to college life, and I can help them transition and they can help me as well. The people at this college care and are helpful people who want to see students and/or friends succeed. I would tell myself not to worry so much and to enjoy the excitement of a big and wonderful change about to occur in my life; one that will help me to grow as a person in all aspects of life.

Jaclyn

The transition depends on if you go to a small school or not. Since my school is small, the class size is similar to what I had in high school. The main transition that I need to go through was being away from home and dealing with more academic work and commitments. If you put your mind to your work, however, you will be fine in the academic transition. As for being away from home, it is hard at first, but it gets easier because you're fellow classmates are almost all going through the same thing. You just need to become more responsible and learn to become dependent on yourself and not others. It is you're life and you are in control so no one should tell you what you should or should not participate in or what to do with your life. If you do not have a major, it's fine - just take the general requirements and it will eventually come to you. Everything will work out if you just put your mind to it and don't give up.

Going off to college is a huge mile stone in a young man or woman's life. It is also a life changing decision. Parents and students should be confident with their choice and excited about the decision. Visiting the school and talking with current students is a great way to get a feel of the school atmosphere. The college he or she chooses will become their home, so it is important that the school not only offers academic needs, but social ones as well. For the students who choose a school and end up regretting the decison, get out. The longer the wait the harder the transition will be at a new school. Never settle, go with your gut feeling. If it tells you that something is not right keep looking, the perfect fit is waiting.

visit the school and don't depend on the tour guid for all of your info, try to meet other people who go to the school and ask what it is like once orientation ends and the parents leave campus.

Go to the place that is going to best suit you all around. Don't just go to a college because they have your "major" because you will probably change it anyway. Go somewhere you feel comfortable and will not come out of burried in debt. Being challenged and being comfortable with your surrounding are the two most important things in finding the right college.

Kortney

Visit lots of colleges and visit them early in high school. Then, you will find one that 'just feels right.'

Hilary

The student should definitely be actively involved in the college-searching process--the parents should not be doing all the work! The student will know when he or she has found the right school, which is why visiting campuses is really important. You don't really get the "feel" of the school without visiting or getting a tour. Also, parents and students should agree on a price range and distance before looking at schools--this will definitely help in limiting where to look. And try not to stress out too much--there is a school for everyone!

Visit schools, do overnights, and pick one that has several majors that interest you so that if you change your path you arent necessarily forced to transfer if you like your school

Thank of what you like to do at home. What do you like about your high school, what don't you like? What do you like about your town, what don't you like? See if you can talk to any students (not staff!) from the school and get their opinions. Spend the overnight. And don't forget that a person changes in four years, especially at this age! Think about every aspect, even the littlest detail, because it could be that detail that is crucial to your happiness. In the end though, don't discount your gut feeling. That's how I chose Elmira, and I've been mostly very happy here the entire four years!

Willie

Visit the campus first, and make friends. The bonds you establish in college will be important down the road. Make friends with as many people as you can without trying to harm yourself to be friends with them. (I don't suggest sorrorities or fraternities. Many of them force you to leave your first group of friends.)

Marguerite

Picking the right college can be scary and overwhelming but it is important to follow your heart. I looked at twelve colleges in five days and by the time I got to my last one I as sick of looking at schools and did not care where I went; but after my tour and interview I knew that Elmira College was the right place for me and now a junior there could not imagine my self anywhere else. Before you begin the looking process select colleges that fit a list of criteria such as size, majors, extracurricular activities and sports. Having all of these will help narrow the list of possible choices and make the selection process easier. It is important to listen to what your student wants as it is him that will be spending the next four years of their lives there. Just remember to have fun when selecting colleges it should be an exciting time not a stressful one.

Visit more then once, do a weekend visit!

I would definitely tell them that overnight stays at the college with a current student are very important. This way, the prospective student can get a more in-depth look at what campus life will be like. It is all about finding a school that you feel very comfortable at. You should be able to see yourself living happily on campus, being challenged in classes, and having a lot of extra-curricular activities to participate in. You should also be comfortable with the average social situation of the school, because that can really make or break your college experience. Academics are very important and it is important to be happy in what you are doing. But from personal experience, the social aspect of college is what you will honestly remember the most, whether is was amazing or terrible.

When doing your college search really take the time to research your schools, go on visits and stay over night, ask questions,attend a few classes to get the feel, talk to students that are currently enrolled, and act early. This is a very important investment, so it is very important to find a college that best fits you. In order to be sucsessful at your college you need to like the place that you are attending.

Ask the college about average class sizes and match that to your preference. Look at the surrounding area of the college; if you will be there for 4 years, you need to like the area you are in. Take a tour of the campus and stay overnight, no matter what. If interested in sports, ask to meet the coach AND talk with members of the team you hope to play on. Ask about other clubs and teams as well. Sit in on a class or two, observe the teacher. Ask enrolled students about workload and amount of time to yourself.

Really visit really look around don't settel look at where you want to be after school, will this school be able to get you there ?

I am the oldest child, therefore the first to go through the college search process with my parents. What helped me the most in making my decision was getting out there and taking advantage of all the colleges had to offer. I went on tours at every college I applied to, I did overnights, ate meals at these different schools (trust me, liking the food is important), I sat in on classes. I graduated with 100 kids in my senior class in high school, big universities were intimidating and I liked the specialized attention small colleges offered their students. This was a huge deciding factor for me when deciding where to apply. Now looking back on my decision I am pleased to see what was important to me has held true. Once school started I joined clubs early, got involved. It was the easiest way to make friends, if you're in the same club you most likely have something in common, I joined sports and went to the gym, also great places to meet people. Although I live 1 1/2 hours from home I stayed on the weekends, it was by far the best way to make friends.

The more colleges you visit the better. Visiting many colleges, although time consuming, will help your son or daughter at deciding on the right college for him or her.

To find the right college for you, visit as many coleges as you possibly can. You till know when you find the right on. As soon as you step onto the campus it will feel as if you are home. Once you find the right college for you, make the most out of your college experience. Get involved. Join clubs, or teams. Do extra-curricular activities. It is a good way to meet people who have similar interests as you. These people may just become your best friends.

Nichole

Make sure you actually visit the college. Stay for the weekend to see how the students interact with each other, see what the food is like, what they do on Friday/Saturday nights. Then also stay for a day during the week to sit in some classes related to your major. Do not let your parents pressure you into going to a school, make sure it is what you want; you are the one that will end up going there for 4 years of your life. Talk to the schools Financial Aid office and see what types of packages they can offer you. Most schools Financial Offices are very helpful and willing to do whatever it takes to help you through the process of financing the right school for you. Last but not least, don't stress out, you'll make the right choice.

First, I would suggest actually visiting the College. Looking at pictures and reading about a College is not enough information to go on. Actually visiting the campus, seeing it in person, seeing the neighborhood it is in, and getting to talk to people who attend the college is a great help. Also, I would suggest applying to more than one college. You never know which schools will accept you and which ones will not. Applying to multiple schools is not only useful so you have back up schools either. You never know what school will accept you, so apply to all of them that you really think you will enjoy. Lastly, make sure you pick the college that is right for you. Though your friends may attend one college, or your parents may like a certain college best, in the end it needs to be the students choice. They need to be happy and comfortable in their school of choice. The happiness of the student holds the most importance.

Donna-Lee

Make sure the college that you pick will be a place that you can love, as well as a place that will allow you to grow into the person that you want to become. So many material things become involved when deciding a school that the important thing- being at a place that fosters your education and will give you the tools necessary to succeed- are left out. Be someplace that truly makes you happy, because having a great college experience is something that everyone should get to experience. Set high goals for yourself, and push yourself, because without the drive and ambition to make yourself succeed and being at an institution that encourages you to do so, success will not happen. College is about growing up and starting on your own path to what you desire in life, so make sure that the college that you attend is definitely going to be able to provide you with all of the right tools in order that you can live the life that you want to, the way you want to do it.

Visit the college before deciding. Apply to more then 3. Make a list of the colleges you want to go to in order from your first choice to your last. Do research about each college choice and ask questions, lots of questions. Get invovled in any activities you are interested in. Do not go to school with friends from high school. College is place to make new friends and create new memories that last a life time. Have fun, but be sure to do all of your work. Be sure to get enough sleep, but don't sleep through classes. Don't waist your or your parents money by skipping class or failing out.

Eslam

Please visit the schools first, take a two or three days to immerse yourself with the college community, talk to any student you can find, try to get insider tips.

Each college will give you about the same experiences and outcomes as the other, it just depends on how much you want to spend and how far away from home you want to be.

I would sugest to put together a list of 100 or so questions that are realy important to you and go to college fairs. Ask the college representives the questions document them, put them on the spreed sheet and the top then schools with the highest schools go to visit, and select your school for the best fit from thier. Also talk with students, faculty and staff about not only what they like but what they hear students wish to be changed or complain about.

Don't focus solely on finances when looking for the right school, but never push the money issue out of you mind. Yes, many companies, institutions, and such are willing to help finance one's education, but this is not always so. Look for a school that you can afford, as well as one you feel comfortable with. No matter how much money a school gives you, the ultimate determination of your success at a school is how well it fits with you on a more personal level. If you are uncomfortable with a school, be it it's size, student body, faculty, etc., you are less likely to flourish in the said educational facility. Never settle for a school that someone else has chosen for you. Only you can possibly know what school is truly right for you. Think with your mind, but also with your soul. Once you look deep within youself and what you desire in the institution of your higher education, you will know when you've found the right school.

Krista

visit the schools and go to a class and talk to students. also make sure the career services office is good and will help your student find a job before graduation