Elmira College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Elmira College

Erica

Elmira was my first choice because of the beautiful campus and value on academics. Not only are the professors knowledgeable, but they are also available for the most part outside of office hours. The traditions that are upheld at Elmira really bring the campus community together. I really like how there are so many different clubs and opportunities for students.

Marissa

Elmira College was founded in 1855 as an all girls college. We we the first college to provide women with an equal degree to a man. As a female that is something I am very proud of because I truly believe we are not defined by our gender, but rather our qualities as a person. The staff is also very flexible and willing to help you in every way possible. As a student athlete it is very difficult to manage sports and school. Professors are more than willing to work around assignments and to help make sure you are succeeding in and out of the classroom. Elmira College has a great student body. We are a group of creative students who know what it means to be family and support one another. Elmira is a truly amazing place and I am happy to have had the opportunity to spend my past four years at such a great college.

Alexandra

I personally love the college, there are a few things that could be fixed. For example, we just changed our dining service provider, and while the quality of food is significantly better than the pervious provider, the options are very limited and the portion sizes are significantly smaller.

Leda

It is a very small school. Everyone knows each other; either by face or actual name. That is what drew me to it. The food is not great, which is unfortunate. However, the school offers a lot of facilities, resources, and things for the community and campus life to partake in. Just one last thing. If you ever need a history class and Myra Glenn is the professor, do not take it. You will not get an A or even a B. She is a great lecturer, but a very strict grader. I caution you reader.

Alexis

Everything is so beautiful. I love everything about this school, it makes you feel like home. Everyone is so welcoming and makes you feel like you belong there.

Isiah

I love Elmira College. The class sizes are small and the campus is very clean. The gym was redone and so was the dining hall. The basketball team is close and I adjusted well to my first year. Fortunately I got half of my education paid for because I was recruited to play basketball. Another thing I love is that the RAs check in regularly. Elmira is a place where you can get a lot of support. The people are nice and the campus is gorgeous. We were rated as the top Liberal Arts College.

Elmira was such a poor experience and I am beyond excited to be transferring. There are so few students on campus that two entire dorm buildings can be shut down. The surrounding area is so dangerous and it translates to campus. The professors are not always the best. They are unable to keep enough students coming in, or enough to stay. The food is very disappointing. The school will put on a good show when parents and families come to campus, but once they leave, it goes down hill once again. It is almost impossible to eat on campus food on the weekends because there are almost no options.

Ian

This place is AWFUL! The surrounding area is very unsafe, there are stabbings and shootings every month are so me are within half a mile of the campus if not closer. The campus is like a ghost town. We have so few kids here that two of the dorms aren't even used. They are so desperate for students they will take almost anyone. A guy across the hall from me DIDN'T EVEN TAKE the SATs, and he bragged that he got all "Ds" in high school (but he plays lacrosse so of course they took him). Speaking of guys, if you are looking to go to a school to make great guy friends this is NOT the place. My class had like 200 kids and only 40 of us were dudes. You might as well go to a girls school. Please don't let the robots giving the tours fool you with stupid stories about racing across the school pond in rafts and cookouts on the lawn. Bear in mind all amazing things they hype on the tour usually only happen ONCE a year. The rest of the time, the only way to amuse yourself either comes in a six pack or a well packed bowl, both of which are REALLY easy to get here at EC. After the first meeting on our floor where he told us all the rules, my Resident Assistant actually came into my room and tried to sell me and my roommate a dime bag!

Farrah

I love the atmosphere. It feels like home and everyone from the ground crew up to the President of the college is super nice and engaging. I think that the best part about this school is the fact that it is small. This allows students to create strong bonds, as well as join multiple clubs and/or sports.

Catrina

I love Elmira! It is like my second home and I cannot wait to go back. That is why I’m doing these scholarships so I can attend!

emily

Elmira, though a tight-knit community lacks diversity and cultural representation. The teachers are mediocre and the housing is...... no comment. Also, the college itself is very isolated and not close to anything. I feel like I am paying too much money for below-average education and housing. Not to mention the out of state tuition is ridiculous.