Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Daytona Beach Top Questions

What are your classes like?

I'll talk about my classes that I'm taking this semester... I'm finishing up my avionics coursework so most of my classes focus around that. In one of my classes (AEL 403) we're learning about satellites, their orbital characteristics, transmitting frequencies, atmospheric factors, and launch factors. In another class (AEL 401), we're learning about radar systems, their electronic designs, repairing and faults, government regulations concerning their use, and their electronic components. In one of my other courses (AEL 402), we are learning about integration of different aircraft electronics with each other for more comprehensive flight systems. this includes topics of instrument displays, electronic coding protocols, microprocessors, and other topics. I also have a term paper due for this class that is 12 pages long. In one of my lab courses (AEL 404), we are taking aircraft transponders and running maintenance tests on them, finding where faults have occurred, and then opening the units to find the corresponding electrical components that have failed and either adjusting them or replacing them. There is some emphasis on soldering, procedures, FAA standards for airworthiness, and proper filling and record keeping practices. In another course (AS 403), I am learning about different type of sensors used on unmanned aircraft. This includes learning about their uses, faults, how they work together with other types of sensors, and an understanding of the electromagnetic spectrum and how we use it to our advantage. We will also be testing out and learning sensor operation procedures using a simulator designed to simulate an MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft. This course also requires a term paper of 10 pages. My other lab course (AS 473), focuses on flight operations of unmanned aircraft. This is accomplished using simulators modeled after the type of platform that is similar to the MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft. This course is being taught by a professor who used to fly Predators for the United States Air Force and he plans to use the simulators for most of the course material. It is a fun, and very informative class.