Emerson College Top Questions

Most of your professors will know your name. Because of the nature of the school, "studying" is more often going to take the form of directing a play or film or creating a marketing strategy. But students work hard. The professors are very acessible. I took a class on Sex Comedy. We studied films like Animal House! Students are extremely competitive. Whether it's more practical or intellectual is kind of up to you - there are both ends of the spectrum. The math, science, and language requirements are slack to nonexistent, but you do have a well-balanced plate of liberal arts, which is nice. A lot of the arts schools I looked at seemed to dispense with that altogether, but I managed to minor in psychology.

Great

Small classes and interesting topics go a ways, but the academics aren't that challanging. Don't expect a "college education" because you'll get an "Emerson College Education". Common themes of study: Media in Culture, Postmodern Art, Gender Politics, Environment Ethics, Emerson and their lack of Diversity. Fostered creative and analytical thinking, but not the best preparation for future, higher education.

The classes are pretty good. Like any school, you have your bad professors and your good professors, and while the bad professors are just terrible, the good professors are amazing! The biggest class I had was MAYBE 70 students, and that was a LECTURE class; most of my classes were about 20 people, tops.

Does anybody go to Emerson to learn? I thought it was just to meet cool people who just happen to be teachers that sort of recommend books by way of assignments... A lot of the courses won't transfer as credits to another institution of either higher or lower learning (ie, Caribbean Imagination.. I mean, come on...)

I'm a grad. student at Emerson now and I wish I would have done my undergraduate work here. My area of study is creative writing and there are so many great writers who teach here that I wish I would have had four more years as an undergrad. to get to know them. I hear people who are in communication and publishing get excellent jobs. I meam, I'm trying to be a writer so it's obviously going to be more difficult. Emerson does have a good reputation all the way around though, and I'm hoping my masters degree will help me land a good teaching job while I try to write.

Dave

If you're a theater major, a film major, or a radio major, you're in good shape. If you're anything else, forget about it--you're second tier.

Academics are tough to classify at Emerson. At a creative school, a lot of work done is subjective. It is great place to pool creativity though. It helps to be around other creative people pushing and collecting ideas.

Diana

The classes are always relatively small (you'll never be in a huge lecture class or feel like you're lost among the masses). Also, we have a lot of very interesting electives, one of the most popular being Burlesque. Participation, depending on the type of class, is usually high because the students here really like to get involved in what they're learning. Professors are usually very knowledgeable, understanding, and willing to reach out to their students. Of course there are general educations requirements, so not every class you take will be something you're absolutely in love with or will relate to your career, but they're essential and usually not too bad. I suggest looking at ratemyprofessors.com ahead of time always before you sign up for a class, just to get an idea of the course and the professor. Also, ask former students, because we're always willing to give good feedback. The things you learn in your classes are very essential to the skills you need in your specific field and while you get experience from this, it's also very important to supplement this learning with outside work in organizations.

Most professors I know not only by name but by their first name. I even have my film professor's phone number so that we could call him for help outside of class, and I have used that number often while filming. Most professors tend to be a little crazy but that is kind of necessary at this kind of a school. Best film professor is Peter Flynn, get him for any class if you can. Classes are small so you get to know most people in your class and end up participating in some way. The classes that you have to take make you well rounded and then your major classes are geared toward your field and getting a job. However in film, a lot of your vital education about filming is found on set and not in class. Class just serves as a base point, you have to go the extra step.

Emerson professors usually know who you are if for no other reason than the class sizes are small enough to recognize all faces. The classes are challenging in course load, and the professor's responsive to the students needs, but at times, the classes are too flexible. The things that are tolerated in an Emerson classroom might not be accepted at an ivy league. The students seem to be competitive in their discipline, but interdisciplinary studies seem to have students feeling removed and less involved. The academics are so specialized that the percentage of classes that promote "learning for learning's sake" is far less than at other schools, but it does exist in small doses. The job placement rate at Emerson is very high comparatively speaking, and do to the specialization, is very geared towards finding work after graduation.

Carson

Classes are small, teachers usually more laid back than typical professors, and i hardly ever got let out of class early. There is a mix of really amazing and really horrific professors. Unfortunately, i had the bad ones in most of my required courses. These professors mostly taught lecture based classes, were unengaging and narrow-minded. My favorite professors have treated the class like we are collogues; giving us details about the industry in which we might attempt to work, and give us tips for what jobs in our field are the least stifling. There is lots of encouragement at this school from professors and staff. The hidden gem at Emerson for me was the writing and academic resource center. Here i got help, not in a shameful way like taking a remedial writing class, but with staff and grad students who are fun and help with ideas, time-management, writers block, and good old editing.

The classes are usually pretty small, which means you get a lot of personal attention from professors. Nobody takes math or science courses (except for the one required class), but almost everyone has some background in their chosen major. Some of the classes are a joke, but you can find really interesting, thought-provoking courses. You just have to know where you're going and where to look. This school is like a four-year internship; everyone wants you to get a job SO BADLY.

Nico

The writing, literature, and publishing professors are by far the best i've ever had in three colleges. In my 3 years here I only ever had one professor I didn't like, and most I adored.

Professors are very good about knowing everyone's names and very helpful. My favorite class was Writing for Marketing Communications thus far. Least favorite was probably "Blues, Blacks, and Whites" just because it was too historically uninteresting to me. Class participation for the most part is necessary to receive a good grade, so you have got to be motivated! There are extremely intellectual topics and conversations both inside and outside the classroom. Students are extremely competitive, but that depends on the student, class size, and professor. The most unique class I've taken at Emerson would be Political Thought. Although it was a very difficult course, I did learn a lot...and probably know more than the average person about the foundation of our very laws and government administration system. My major is marketing communications and it is a great major because you learn so much about how everything in any industry is related and connected through social media and networking! Emerson is geared towards both learning for the sake of landing that dream job!

If you're looking for a school to skim through and not be paid any attention, this isn't the one. The largest class I had involved 30 students yet was still lead by "conversation" (as opposed to simple lecture). Emerson professors respect individuality, even when it comes to grades and such. You could take the same class more than once and it would be different each time because the students are so diverse. The professors are passionate, knowledgable and they treat students as both adults and individuals.

Jerry

Class sizes are fairly small and professors definitely know your name and are always willing to give you extra help if you ask. Students are friendly, quite outspoken and usually competitive.

Mostly easy except for the last two weeks of every semester. Finals and midterms are a joke if your course even has one. Good writing and critical analysis are a must for prettey much everyone. First year theater majors tend to be extremely frustrated. A lot of the classes seem like bullshit. All the classes are very interresting at least.

Jody

The classes, other than the seminars, are small and personal. Students are extremely dedicated to classes, mainly because most of them are workshops. Classes at Emerson, especially higher-level ones, are more akin to an apprenticeship. the professors take an active interest in their students, even forwarding them onto job prospects. By the time you leave if you have done your work you will have a portfolio and contacts; Emerson is entirely about getting a job.

Some professors will get to know you by name, and others won't. It really depends on the size of the class and what kind of effort you put into it. Since I've been here, I've had classes as small as 8 people, and as large as 25. My favorite class so far was probably Intro to Studio TV Production with Henry Dane - that guy is great. The thing about teachers at Emerson is that they're all pretty willing to befriend you, you just have to get over the initial professor/student barrier. I'm not talking anything inappropriate here, just that it's ok to have conversations with your teachers about things that aren't exactly class related, and you can kind of adopt a group of mentors who know an awful lot about the fields that you want to enter after graduation. They're really great people. My least favorite class...hmmm. I don't know, probably one of the gen eds. There's a bunch of general education requirements that you spend the first year and a half getting out of the way. Some of them are alright, but a lot of them are just worthless. It depends what you take and what's available when you register.

Peter

Emerson has a great reputation, and you will probably get a pretty decent job upon graduation. Having said that, the classes are for the most part a joke. Very easy classes, I didn't have to read a book until late my junior year, attendance is rarely taken (weirdly enough the only classes that seem to take attendance are the worst ones I have taken).

While the first year or two you may not feel like you are fulfilling your major, it gets much better once you get to the classes you really want to take. Because so many of the classes are so small, you are able to really connect with the instructors and it makes for the best learning experience.

The classes are very small, 45 people is the biggest class I've had. There are a lot of adjunct professors and most of them are really cool. They hate meeting students in their cubicles so most are happy to go out and get a coffee with students and get to know them. It is hard to get into the classes you want sometimes.

Emerson is very geared toward each students industry. Depending on your major, you may spend most of your time taking out cameras, lighting equipment, etc. Other majors do a lot of projects or for the writers, it's all about writing different genres. We tend to procrastinnate work that doesn't involve our major but class participation in all classes is common. Professors that teach outside of your major are willing to let you experiment with your presentation so you can incorporate your major. As a broadcast journalism major, I know many of my professors by name and they know mine. They are around after class to help answer questions or just chat. The hardest thing for me is that they can only teach you so much. Half of Emerson's education is extracurricular activities and internships. If you don't get involved, you're wasting your time here, at least as a journalism major.

Rosie

All my professors know my name and encourage all the students to come speak during office hours. They are very ready to help and they are helpful because most of them work in the field of study that they are teaching. My favorite class is improvisation with Ken Cheeseman. He's brilliant. The most interesting and amazing man I've ever met, but I could say that about a lot of my teachers. Class participation is a must because the classes are so small, but the conversations are usually really fun, open, and interesting. We are adults discussing in class as opposed to kids just talking for a grade. The acting department is amazing. You can never miss class, but mostly, you never want to miss class. All my teachers are sincere and sweet and very intelligent. They make things interesting and I love going to class. The general education classes really suck though. Research writing and expository writing, which are the required courses are no fun, but can be interesting. I had Grad. student teachers for both classes, so I got an easy A but it wasn't interesting and I don't feel like I learned much. After that, other required classes are fun. I took a class called Love & Eroticism that was ridiculous. So much work, but so worth it. I don't know if I've ever worked harder, but after that, I felt like a college student because I started to think differently. I didn't just try to conjure up an answer, I had to think critically and way outside of the box. It challenged me and the teacher really cared about challenging us. We were all different thinkers after that class.

Susan

Yes! Almost all of my professors knew my name. I love that most of them treat you as colleagues. Hard to say what my favorite class was. Any of my drama as education classes were awesome, but I also loved Judaism 101 (mostly because Rabbi Al is awesome) and World Literature because it made me think. My least favorite had to be speech-- I was in the PA program, so I know how to speak in front of people. It was also at 8 am. Class participation is common, although in gen-ed classes this sometimes turns into three people speaking just to hear themseleves talk. My advice is to speak up when you have something to say. Intellectual conversations outside of class didn't happen much for me. Students don't seem to be that competitive, but that might have been my major (Theater Ed) which is all about fairness and promoting equality in the classroom. Theater Education is great-- there was a department change my sophomore year which threw things off, but I know they're back on track now. The professors in the department really care about you. I have spent some time with my professors outside of class and a few of them I know I'll keep in contact with. Theater Ed was about learning, but then in my student teaching we focused on how to get a job.

Missy

The teachers here are great. They really know their shit, and give you the most real-world experience you can get in a classroom. I love the film and video classes - they give you cameras and top-of-the-line editing suites and get you working on projects starting your first semester. Teachers all go by a first-name basis, and are always willing to talk one-on-one or by email whenever you have problems. You really need to be able to put up with competition and group-work situations.

Classes at Emerson can be intense. Especially classes geared towards a major. Emerson students really get into class and in some instances, try to outsmart each other. Since Emerson is a very focused school, so people here know what they want to do for the rest of their lives. They know what they came to school for and most likely have known for a very long time. So, people really know what they're doing here. Emerson students are very intellectual and most likely you'll be having intellectual conversations outside of class, but it depends on who you're talking to. Emerson's classes are geared towards getting a job, and preparing you for the real world. In fact, I believe Emerson students will be more prepared for the real world than most students. In the journalism department we have equipment that some TV stations, newspapers etc don't even have. We're really proud of that and teaching students with such great tools. A unique class I'll be taking next semester is called "Queer Identity" it should be really interesting.

Emerson students are amazing. My writing classes are respectful and extremely helpful and supportive. Classes are about learning for their own sake and for the students sake. Learning about writing is focused on writing that will help get you publish and it helps you bring your story to a place where it's at it's best. I thought that students would be very competive in classes but they are compettive to get certain teachers or classes, once in a class they fed off one another. I don't think there is a such thing as a class at emerson that doesn't emcompass student participation. Professors aren't always there is get to know you (which when they do it make sthe experience much better). they will take a while to learn names but the keep here is to be the stand out student and on day one they will remember your name.

Participation is really key for every class I have been in... even the larger ones. Because it's a communication school, talking counts for a lot. My favorite class in my major was my film production class which I took my first semester - I got to make a website and learn how to use the programs within the first few weeks, which was really cool. It was also nice to have access to quality equipment so fast. For classes, I took a great one called Love and Eroticism. It really taught me a lot about my life, and is influencing the film I am making right now. My major is one of the more difficult ones to get in to (film production), so there is a lot of competition among the most devoted students, but in this case, I think the competition is really good motivation. Emerson also really sets you up to get a job... just the fact that I know I am going to have an internship in L.A. my last semester of school really makes me a lot less nervous that I will be living on the streets of some city begging for change.

Kim

Great classes, great teachers and overall very educational. I've learned a lot and would suggest this school to anyone who wants to major in marketing, tv/film production, or anything in the "entertainment" field.

They are fine.. its not amazing its pretty good but it must improve to be better

The teachers are good about knowing who you are. The gen. eds aren't great, but decent enough. I've been very satisfied about the classes I've had within my acting major. They are small and everyone gets as much out of it as they put in. If you have no energy or motivation, I would imagine you don't get anything from class. If you come with a somewhat decent attitude and work ethic, you'll be just fine.

Jay

Classes are pretty good sized, sometimes professors nerd you out on some pretty random stuff. For example, one of my professors this past semester thinks that The Holiday was the best movie of the decade. And he's not an idiot.

I hope you love student projects. For all the talk of "hands-on" learning my classes at Emerson have been dissapointingly tame. I feel a little cheated by the similarity of the first three classes I took for my major. Also, I was told by representatives of the school I would "diving right in" to my focus, which is advertising. It's the end of my sophomore year and I am yet to take a class with a focus in Advertising.

Yes! The professors care about you and know you by name. My favorite class is Acting I: Movement and I think this is largley because of he professor, who is amazing. It is really great to work with really talented adults who are enthusiastic about what they do and who love to teach you about their business. If you don't participate in an Emerson class, you might as well throw your tuition money out the window!

I'm a musical theatre student, so most of my classes are artsy and smaller, so most of my professors know my name. However, in the one forum class I was in, I'm sure the teacher would have no idea who I was if I bumped into her sometime in the future. Student's study often, but most homework doesn't seem like work. In my experience, it's all been very creative and fun. On this campus, intellectual conversations are very common, especially about politics. Everyone's politically active here with very strong opinions.

Sierra

Class participation is often required in classes. Everyone at Emerson is very opinionated so class discussions are often lively. Intellectual discussions don't stop in the classroom. People love to talk about politics and ethical debates. The gen eds offered here are really unique and interesting. Emerson has qualified professors who have worked in the industry and can tell you exactly what you need to do to succeed. I am very confident that I will have a great job once I graduate from Emerson.

One thing that is nice about Emerson is that the classes are very small. All but maybe one of my professors knows my name. I like all of the classes for my major just because they are right up my ally, we basically watch movies and tv and learn about the history of media etc. I am a TV Production major and the department is awesome they always help us out and let us know about events in school or around Boston. Emerson is very job orientated but also gives a general education as well. There is a thing known as the Emerson Mafia which helps a lot when getting a job.

Meg

Because Emerson is my fourth college, I was scared that they wouldn't accept a lot of my credits. However, they were really great and accepted all of them! There were only a few that they put under elective credits that could have counted as prerequisites. But all I had to do was take ten minutes to go and talk to the lady that could change them and she did! It was that easy. As far as the credits I took on the quarter system, they ended up giving me an a fraction in the final count of my credits (something like 42.66). However, some of the clubs available to students can also count as one credit and they are free! I think you can only earn a total of four credits this way (which is equivalent to one class), but it's a great thing for transfers or for students looking to take something easy that isn't graded, only pass/fail. Also, the amount of money you pay each semester doesn't change if you're a full time student based on the number of credits you take. You can take 12 or 16 (that's 3 or 4 classes) but you're still paying the same amount. If you want to get the most bang for your buck take 16. Another interesting financial matter to consider is that summer classes are half the price of fall and spring classes. There are two summer terms and you're able to take a total of 8 credits in each term (that's 2 classes per term). You can essentially take care of an entire semester of classes in one summer for half the price if you want to. Moving on to professors, most of them are nice and all of them are willing to meet with you outside of class. They all value class participation and encourage intellectual conversation and even debate among the students in the class. If you participate the teacher will be more lenient when it comes to "special circumstances" for due dates on papers and what not. So, even if you're quiet or if you might not have anything of importance to add, try to at least ask a question or two during class. It will help you in the end! I would say that the education at Emerson is geared toward both learning for its own sake and getting a job. It really depends on the class you take as to which way the teacher leans. I've had lots of teacher focus solely on learning until the last two weeks of class and then talk about how the information we've learned is applicable to the job force and what things work and what don't as far as finding a job in your field. This is really helpful in the arts because it is hard to support yourself and you get to hear from your professors who are artists themselves what are some of the better ways of marketing your stuff and (in creative writing) finding a publisher or agent who's right for you.

Arielle

I'm only a freshman so my classes have been requirements but they're still pretty awesome. Don't let people tell you that speech sucks because it's the best class I've taken so far and I'm a writer, I don't want to give speeches but you learn a lot about how you present yourself and how you interact with others.

A bit one-sided, similiar to what I said above. Even the gen eds usually cater to particular interests related to a major (for example, a lot of gen eds have to do with film, and a lot of film majors take them, a lot of electives have to do with theater, so a lot of theater majors take them, etc.) If you want to really branch out, probably not an ideal school, but the coursework itself is challenging.

Most students have real relationships with their professors, and it's very rare to get in a class when they don't know your name, let alone your personal life. Most of my teachers know who I'm dating, who my friends our, and a decent amount about my working style and personality. I've talked with Emerson professors on their home phone, sent emails, met with them in their office, talked about personal things, stayed after class, when to breakfast, coffee, and lunch with them...and even seen them at cast parties and special events. The acting professors are pretty personal. I can't speak for others, other than they always knew my name. I only had one who didn't. In my four years here. Students are often artistically competitive and can be either passive aggressive or aggressive about it. It's not about grades. It's about ideas, and who has better ones. It's about talent and who has more of it in order to "make it." Things become a little bit political for that reason...bu that pressure forces you to work harder to do better. Be sure to meet with the advising center, if you're a BFA major. BFAs get faculty advisors who know nothing about working with credits to graduate. They guide your career, not plans to graduating. Emerson thinks that's the same thing apparently. The teaching here seems to be geared toward getting a job, and getting a good one, if you play your cards right. Students don't study so much here....they work on their projects... for EVER. Projects here are big and important, and students don't mess around. They put in hours, in addition to their extra-curriculars and personal life.

The professors at Emerson are fantastic. For the lower level courses, some of them are a bit iffy, but the professors that teach your major classes love the field and know what they're talking about. Most of them are still involved in the current buisiness and can get you on the right track for a career. I would say that most of the classes are easy as long as you give them the time they deserve, as is true with any school. Because we're a small school, we have a strict attendance policy, so make sure you can get up for your 8am every day before you register for one. I've taken several unique classes at Emerson - the best so far was one titled "Life and Death - the Science and Psychology of Survival." We discussed what it takes to survive when you're stranded out at sea or in the desert, and it was a great experience!

Jessika

I've been in classes of ten students, less than twenty is the usual average. Teachers not only know your name, but your interests and personality. The absolute biggest class anyone at Emerson will ever have is forty-five students. For a school central in the city, this is amazing. Sadly the languages program is severely lacking, and often there aren't enough sessions of a class for the number of students who want/need to take it. Gen-eds for this school are extremely lax, I think the school wants you to spend as much time learning about the subjects you care about as possible.

Professors are okay.

Some profs dont care who you are, especially in freshman gen eds. But as early as your sophomore year you can make some GREAT relationships and even better business connections with some of your professors. None of the classes get too big which is awesome. biggest ive been in was abt 60. and that was only once. discussions are always fun, can get too liberal sometimes but thats emerson. students arent really competitive that ive ever noticed, everyone kinda jus makes sure they get done what they need to get done. if you want, spending time with teachers outside of class is very possible and usually easy. making relationships with your professors is key, and not just for your grade. i feel like emerson charges too much money for the majority of classes(some feel like high school) but alot of classes after gen eds dont require much work until finals or midterms. emerson is very much so geared towards getting a job but the professors LOVE to talk about things just to know them if you ask them.

My largest class ever was 45, but most of my classes are 12-20 people. I've only had a couple of teachers not know my name. Small classes are great. Classes do a great job of preparing us for our jobs because most professors have worked in the industry.

Professors are INCREDIBLE! Best professors in the world, however administration needs to prioritize where it spends it's money and buy more studios and equipment to accomodate the over whelming need for much more hands on work. Does not provide the best transition skills wise to a job. However, the Emerson connection in the media world is a big plus.

Connie

Gen. Ed. classes are kind of a joke, but we come here for the media production classes anyway.