Emerson College Top Questions

Andrew

The worst thing about my school is probably the overall cost of my education. While I attended the school tuition alone was north of thirty five thousand dollars which placed a heavy burden on me as well as my parents. It just feels unfair to be charged that much for and education in an industry where we are told are starting salaries will be small. It just appears sometimes that they are interested in making money then trying to make college affordable for the student

Caitlin

Though there are many opportunites to get involved with events on campus, I sometimes find it difficult living off campus as a transfer student. It is because I did not have much of an opportunity to live on campus my first semester. It is not to say that this is a complete downfall, but I feel there should have at least been one semester where I would have been able to reside on campus with other students and experience the dorm life. There is a very slim chance when applying for on campus living as a transfer student.

Justina

Some people are too arrogant and stuck-up for their own good.

Bryan

Class often got in the way of real life experience opportunities

emily

IT'S SO EXPENSIVE. I would never say it's not worth it, but being $40,000 in debt with two years left...thats intimidating. I have to believe I'm getting the best possible education and that it will pay off with the exerience I'm getting and the connections I will have leaving school.

Joshua

The financial aid is awful. I had to take out more federal and alternative loans than I care to admit to. The majority of the students come from upper-middle to high-class backgrounds, so financial aid isn't even as common as a lot of other schools.

Tracy

It's expensive and not the most flexible when it comes to financial aid.

Victoria

The worst thing is the obscenely high tuition and poor financial aid packages. This makes education very difficult for most students to afford, and also attracts a lot of wealthy students who are generally not so understanding of the financial problems of others. Because of this, Emersonians get a reputation for being prententious rich kids who grew up in show business and get preference over others, which is not the case for all of us. Emerson is such a wonderful, unique school, and there are so many talented people who are deterred by lack of funds and a snobby reputation.

Mary

POTATO PILE UP

Edgar

I believe the only thing lacking at Emerson College is the diversity. Although there are efforts to change this, I think that there need to be more drastic measures taken. In addition, the efforts need to be focused on predominantly ethnic areas in the country. The cause can be attributed to the school being historically white and possibly ineffective recuiting.

Katherine

My school is small, which I like, but I think that if it were bigger there would be a bigger selection of classes to choose from, and I think that my major could use more classes.

Gaul

It focuses on the HOW but not enough on the WHY. Students here know how to do but not how to inspire and innovate.

Eleanor

There should be more facilities for studying, i.e., a bigger library with more periodicals, books, computers, printers, and group workspaces.

Madeleine

The worst thing about my school is that although it is diverse in thought and personality, it is not very diverse ethnically and culturally. There also isn't a lot of campus unity. The school spirit for sports is very low, but there is a lot fo support for arts productions. I would like it if there was more mingling between different majors, but I guess you just have to go out there and do that on your own.

Cait

The worst thing about Emerson is the smoking community. Living on oncampus housing means the inability to walk thorough the exterior door without hitting a wall of smoke, no matter what the time of day.

Lily

Emerson College is an expensive school with sub-par financial aid availability

Eric

The worst part about the school is its lack of communication between departments. Most people only have friends in their major, which makes the school less diverse. It is possible to make friends in other departments, but it's rare that you will run into them on campus unless you arrange a meeting.

Samuel

The worst thing about my school is how insulated the community of students can become. You are living in the middle of the city, but the school environment is not easily breached by the influence of the city. This is an easy problem to remedy, you just have to take initiative and discover the city on your own. Explore and have your own experiences.

Lynette

people are pretentios, self-centered, and rude

Heather

Financial Aid.

Kristen

too small/under funded/not diverse enough faculty

Danielle

Regestration because it is such a small school it can't always offer the class I want to take

Anne

Classroom buildings are sometimes far away. It is also a very expensive school when you live on campus.

The school has had trouble attracting students of color, and they have chosen to compensate for the lack by integrating multiple required "diversity" gen eds. It sours the mood among very career-driven art students for whom the classes feel force fed, or like a valuable loss of class time.

Andrew

Emerson College is very single-minded in being highly artistic and highly liberal with little room for anything else. I embrace all people and all opinions and combine that with political moderateness and practicality, so to be thrust into an environment where you MUST be politically correct and inclusive could sometimes feel awkward.

Jenna

The worst thing about Emerson College would have to be the tendency for pretentious co-eds. That, and their inability to spend my tuition money correctly.