Emerson College Top Questions

Dear 17 year old me, College is an expansion of high school with longer papers, stricter professors and quicker deadlines. The amount of time you spent in high school on a research assignment will double. At one point, you will find yourself in your room at two thirty in the morning writhing over a paper on Hamlet, Othello and Oedipus. You might buy Ben & Jerry's once a week. But, you will meet people who will expand your creativity in ways you never thought possible. You will thrive in classes and make the deans list every semester. The stress you are feeling now over what college to attend will disappear your second week on campus. You are making the right choice. All of those people who doubted your strength to succeed will be proven wrong. Let go of the anxiety of prospering because you will soar through the next few years.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. Join clubs, make friends, and just be involved in extracurricular activities. Networking goes a long way in the film industry. This is a very collaborative field.

If I could go back to my high school self I would tell myself how much is it worth to play a varsity sport over a affordable option. This is something that I have wrestled with over the years looking back at my decision about where to atten college. I now feel that perhaps I might have been better off going to a more affordable insitution in order give me a much better financial situation as I entered my mid 20's.

The hardheaded and political minded high school Ryan would have told you your faults without any thought. He was a liberal who graduated from a conservative boarding school and nothing made him feel better than to prove others wrong. He did not know that the faults he so longed to extract from others illuminated his own inadequacies. On a naive quest to prove some truth to others the younger me lost more friends than he gained. What could have helped me along the way would have been the understanding that opinion could only transcend division if opinion was confronted with clear and placid understanding. Instead of using my knowledge of the contrary point to prove someone wrong in their actions or opinions it would have been more fruitful to find commonality in the opinions of my conservative schoolmates. I would tell my younger self to understand others. Find the common ground no matter what and cultivate that ground into a prosperous plant. I would tell myself to nurture that plant so that it might grow the fruits of friendship and understanding. Ultimately I have learned that that fruit provides the food through which individuals come to terms with each other.

Anne Marie

Dear Anne Marie, I would like to share with you some advice about your future college career. First, it is always a great idea to speak with your professors after class if something was not clear to you. Know that you will not be bothering them because that is what your professors are there for. Also, I know that you worry about instantly having your books and materials as soon as courses begin, however, in college, you need to know that most professors are aware of the high costs of textbooks, particularly in the college's bookstore. It is always a smart idea to look up the course materials prior to the start of the semester and search for them on websites that may sell them at a more economical price. In each course you take, do not be afraid to reach out to fellow students and make acquaintances who can become friends and study partners. Be aware that college will take up a lot of your energy, so it is important to eat healthy meals and snacks throughout the day and drink plenty of water to keep your brain functioning!

You're a dedicated person in many ways, great job! But you have also isolated yourself from some great opportunities. Sure, joining the marching band certainly opened your eyes and personality in many ways. Yet getting involved with other organizations can help shape you more and maybe even benefit you or the community as well. Just because you don't like having too much on your plate, doesn't mean you should ignore the challenge behind whatever it is. It's something that I look at now with occurances from these past few years. Even though I get overwhelmed having a lot going on, it's usually worth the trouble and involvement in the end. It is all for the experience while learning from what roadblocks you may encounter. That is life. We all face challenges, but then we embrace them. It is not something to be afraid of because everyone faces the same complications finding a balance in life's opportunities. You may not like clutter, but take a breath first before saying no to what may be a great opportunity. Life is about taking risks, so see what an opportunity has to offer before letting it go.

Justina

You might think you can sacrifice your sleep time to finish a ridiculous amount of schoolwork and internship assignments, but think again. You need to sleep! You are not a vampire from Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. Sleep replenishes your energy and helps you feel lively and ready for the day. Life is miserable when you constantly feel like you're sleepwalking through it. Instead of taking multiple four-hour naps throughout the day, have a good night's rest. Remember when you used to run on a nocturnal schedule? You would nap during the day and mainly work at night - you pretty much never saw your friends. You're lucky that your friends didn't forget about you and your workaholic tendencies. Be grateful for your opportunities, but don't forget to take care of yourself.

Having just completed my first year of college, there is plenty of advice that I would give my high school senior self if I could go back in time. The most important piece of advice is one that my mother recently gave to me, "Nothing falls from the sky except for rain." She said this to me because I am unsure if I will be able to complete my education at Emerson College due to insufficient funds. As a child, you get used to getting what you want, even if you whine over petty things. Now that I am older, it is hard to come out of the mentality that I have to fend for myself, and often will have to face difficult times because, in truth, life is painful. I would want my high school self to know that dreams and goals are only achieved through hard work, and sometimes difficult choices have to be made in order to better oneself. I would tell my high school senior self to stop looking up at the sky, waiting for something to fall into my high school senior hands, and instead build a ladder to reach it.

Enrique

I would say to not stress out, the college process can be a pain but it all works out and whichever school you end up at the most important piece is your outlook and what you're willing to make the best of.

Dear High-School Self, It's been a while. I remember how confusing preparing for college was. We've made some mistakes; I'd love to give you some advice that will help in the following years. 1. Visit more colleges! You only visited one. Fortunately it was our dream college. Visit more colleges anyway. 2. Save money! It's great that you have two jobs. You're earning money & it's tempting to spend it. But when you're nearing the end of college and worrying about student loans, you will kick yourself for not planning ahead. 3. Choose friends wisely. Surround yourself with people who will love & help you along the way. Do the same for others. Please don't be discouraged that not everyone is like that. 4. Care more. It sounds simple, but it's important. Take more time with your art, contribute, become more involved, & ask for help when needed. None of these things make you uncool. It's actually very cool to care. Looking back, you'll think the teenage anarchy was a little silly, but you'll value your experiences. I hope you find success & happiness in the forthcoming years. Good Luck, Me

Bryan

The most important thing to do is be open to new experiences. Never be afraid to try things for the sake of trying something new. Because you will be majoring in film, learning about yourself is just as important as learning about filmmaking. In the end, film is just a medium...a means to an end. What you really need to be learning is how to tell stories and all of your new experiences will help you bring understanding to the stories you want to tell. Life is will always take you in directions you didn't plan on and your college years are a perfect time to practice making wrong turns take you to where you wanted to go in the first place.

Katharine

Don't be afraid of change. When going to a new place, especially somewhere far from home, things are going to be different. You won't have the food you're used to, the personal space, or all the comforts of home, but it's okay. You're going to get used to it and be just fine. Don't worry about the whole "finding friends" thing. It isn't difficult when you're around people who have the same passions as you and all you really have to do is (as corny as it sounds) be yourself. Trust me, you'll have someone to talk to in every class if that's what you desire. Speaking of classes, expect them to be harder than what you're used to and a lot more work. It is college, after all. You're going to do a ton of writing, and it's going to have to be good. Just know that as long as you keep up and put forth the effort, the rewards are sure to be great. Do your work. Don't procrastinate on it. And don't be afraid to go for the things you want.

Hello, Ashley, I'm you from the future. You're probably looking forward to college and all of the wonders it does have to offer but I can assure you the partying will not last for long. It's crucial now more than ever that you start learning how to prioritize your time. The real world doesn't call for senseless meandering. It's important that you rank what is most important to you (school work and your job) and focus on those two things before you get to having fun and going out. With that said, be sure not to over work yourself. Yes, college is stressful but it's only as stressful as you make it out to be. Allow yourself to take breaks and relax and also have fun and maintain a social life. When you become a work freak you lose yourself in the process of trying to attain success in a small amount of time. Success will come when you are patient and reward yourself for all of the small things leading up to it.

My high school senior self was shy, inhibited, and afraid of change. My excitement to go to my dream school, Emerson College, was tempered by fear that I wouldn't make friends, that I would be lonely, and there wouldn't be a place for me. Now, in my second year at Emerson, I think I would tell myself of two years ago to take a deep breath and relax. I would tell her that the first month or two of college will be scary and probably lonely, but that the worst thing you can do during this time is to stay in your comfort zone. I would assure her that, despite the cocky rhetoric of her peers, everyone is terrified. I would tell her to forget the "college is the best time of your life" and "all college students do is binge drink and party" stereotypes and remember that college is just another phase of life. Don't put pressure on yourself to conform to what you think college should be, but instead focus on doing what makes you happy, remain open to including new people in your life, do your work, and the rest will fall into place.

If I was able to talk to my self and give my self advice I would say that college is a great way to and that I should have started earlier and that I should have taken the oppertuinity to go to college from Job Corps. but the one major thing that I would stress to my self is that when every thing is looking down going to college is the right and best thing for me to do and to be happy that I am making a great choice. and that my family and friend will be there for me and will support me no matter what and that they are going to be the greatest assest that I am going to have.

Dear diary today as I think about college life and all things that are changing, I must stay on track and focused on my goals. What is important, what is it going to take to achieve my goals. SAVE MONEY....I never knew how expenses college truly was going to be, I should have worked harder on scholarship forms in high school. School work is not about wasting your time, it is about building your future. A future to support yourself, a family. Set your sights high, build bridges and friendships along the way. Allow time to help others through volunteering. Start each day ANEW DAY. Remembering my faith in God and family will give me strength and peace. Make time for myself each day.

emily

Go for it! You didn't give yourself enough credit. You worked so hard and you really do have an edge over other students because of it. You had the drive to start your high school's internship program and become the first student there to hold an intern position...that's special! You should travel more. Spend your senior summer interning in New York because your college summers fill up quick with study opportunities, plans and work, so do WHATEVER YOU CAN NOW! Go one trips, use your car to visit places you've never been (you don't have a car in college!) Please, please, please save your money! Those shoes you bought last week...they'll wear out in a months. Save your money to make buying an apartment, books, and travel easier on yourself. Take any opportunity you can, you rock!

Graduate early, Em! High school didn't challange you enough, and you knew it! There was no need to waste time there when Emerson was waiting for you all along. You never gave yourself credit for your talents until college, and I've learned so much now that I wish I could have been more confident before and done more in highschool, or just get to college sooner. You actually ARE a great writer; everyone here agrees. You have a real talent for doing make-up and hair too! Who would have thought? Try it out! You'll really like it. You actually become the head-stylist at YourMag, an awesome magazine on campus. You should start one in high school, it'll look great on your resume, which, by the way, you should work on NOW while you have time. It took me a week to perfect once I got to college! You don't need to stress out so much, you're great! Try some new things while you have extra time, and please TAKE AN ART CLASS. I've always wanted to try and now I'm way too busy. Good luck, girl. You'll be great.

Knowing what I know now, I would have told myself to remain in Ohio and earn my associates there where I had a full ride scholarship to Sinclair Community College instead of moving to Texas. I was just naive and thought there would be more opportunities here in Houston away from my small home town.

Katharine

If I could talk to myself as a college senior, I would tell myself that my instincts are correct; Emerson College is the college for me; however, I would also tell myself to seek out community. Excelling in my field is wonderful, but people to spend time with are equally as important. I'd recommend to myself that I join a community service organization and look for a religious group where I can more comfortably be myself without judgment. I would also tell myself to consider proactive thinking when confronted with problems rather than retreating into myself in an effort to keep the peace. There is always a responsible, positive solution to a problem; the trick is figuring out what it is.

shakala

Having an education, especially in our generation, is vital. I strive to learn and succeed, and maybe that is why I love going to school so much. Emerson College has helped me to become more open-minded, and I believe that is why college is so important. It is truly beautiful and remarkable how college can change your perception of everything. I’m majoring in one of the toughest majors in the industry- broadcast journalism. The amount of times that I have heard that is annoying. If there is anything that I’ve learned is perfectly explained in a quote by Ralpho Waldo Emerson: “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us” You can achieve ANYTHING that you set your mind to…with hard work and passion. And guess what? The only person that can stop you…is YOU. I had this mentality when I was in high school, and I still do. Additionally, here are some key tips that I wrote for incoming students about transitioning from high school to college: http://admissionblog.emerson.edu/undergraduate/index.php/2011/08/14/high-school-to-college-transformation-3/

Amy-lyn

First getting to college can be extremely overwhelming. Trying new things and experimenting with the new freedom can be fun but remember to stay true to yourself and play to your strengths. If you are a morning person, take morning classes. If you don't like to drink alcohol, don't be afraid to tell people for fear of being thought of as "uncool." If you speak up about what you like, people will respect you for being your own person. This will also help you to find friends with whom you have common interests and habits. Don't try to fit into the stereotypical college mold. College is all about discovering who you are and not about reliving what Hollywood thinks college should be like. Also, make sure to establish an open relationship with your roommate very early in the semester. Draw up a contract and discuss what your comfort level is as far as lights out, guests, and noise. Talking abou these things early can help you avoid a lot of uncomfortable moments in the future since, unfortunately, not everyone can be best friends with their roommates.

I would tell my high school self to be more realistic about choosing a college and considering finances. Starting at a community college and getting general education requirements and then transferring to a top choice school. I would tell myself to consider this and then consider the fact that I will legitimately fall in love with a girl I meet in college but end up ultimately ruining it after two unforgettable years together. Make your choice.

Janelle

adfasfa

Tracy

Before attending Emerson, I was a shy, soft-spoken introverted person sure of very little, aside from how much I loved my family (and that the feeling was mutual). I thought I wanted to be a screenwriter, but even that was a little unclear. Through my time at Emerson, I've grown into myself completely. I'm no longer shy, nor afraid to be myself in any situation--whether social or job related. And, while I'm just as sure as ever that my family is there for me whenever I need them, I've also learned how to be a complete person without them, how to take care of myself and exist outside of how they see me. Additionally, the education I received in class has made me certain of the career path I'm on and has improved my screenwriting skills in ways I never thought possible. Sometimes I wonder how things would've changed if I'd attended a bigger school, a more sports based school, or a cheaper state school, but I know, in my heart, Emerson was the best and only school for me.

My time at Emerson College had a lot of ups and downs. I came to the school with a concentration in new media. There was not a large focus on my major and often it felt like it was the most neglected on campus. However, the reason I went to Emerson was because it encompassed a lot of interests I had outside of my major as well. So in addition to courses I took in web design, 3D animation, and technology I rounded out my education with film, drawing, and communication sciences and disorder classes. Emerson has made me a very well rounded individual. I don't think any other college could have prepared me for the job I currently hold. I now work at a non-profit building their website, editing videos, and teaching classes on computer literacy and video production to all ages. It is a joy and has greatly influenced my decision to head back to school for a masters in education & technology. In high school, I struggled through classes and found refuge in my high school technology classes. I appreciate the opportunity I've been given to give the same gift to others.

Stacie

Before college, I was timid and awkward in social situations. I hated public speaking and wouldn't raise my hand for fear of looking stupid. Since I attended college, I've learned so much about myself and what I can accomplish. Through group activity and diversity in college, I've seen many kinds of people which helped me realize it's okay to be different. I'm able to adjust around public speaking through the multiple presentations I've had to do in class. Also, I'm at college for me, not for anyone else. I've come to realize there is no stupid question. I was a bit more self-conscious than most college students because I was still in high school when I attended college for the first time. I didn't want anyone to know I was younger. All I wanted was to be treated equally, even if that meant more work. I was ready. Now, as a 18 year old I will be attending Seattle Pacific University in the Fall of 2011 majoring in Dietetics. My passion is nutrition and I'm never been more excited for what lies ahead!

My college experience thus far is something that I value a great deal. It has taught me about decision making and how choices can affect your future for years to come. It has showed me that being careful and deliberate is extremely important, both in terms of school work and in life. Rash actions rarely benefit people and often time, they hurt them. Above all other things, I am now aware that I need to set goals for myself and work hard to accomplish them. My life is beginning to unfold and I really need to be prepared for it and have plans with how to tackle it. College thus far has opened my eyes and allowed me to see the road and paths that lie ahead.

I grew more personally in the span of my first year in college than in four years of high school. On an educational level, I improved my French communicating and understanding immensely. In college writing, I developed a comprehensive portfolio of the semester’s work. During an acting class, I discovered my personality through a handful of characters. These liberal arts classes piqued my curiosity and wonder so that I sought new and diverse learning experiences throughout the year. Just as important, I became involved in community activities. The passionate and unique peers that I was surrounded by sparked my interest in art, sustainability and outdoor recreation. While I supplemented my mind with excerpts by Tocqueville (among others), I nourished my spirit by partaking in adventures with friends. A better version of myself emerged after freshman year. Student life taught me to pursue subjects of interest, to challenge pre-conceived thought, and to live with meaning and a sense of purpose. Professors encouraged me to explore ideas and to express opinions openly. Friends and acquaintances introduced me to their passions and dreams in life. All in all, I ended the school year with a renewed motivation and an enhanced perspective.

So far, I have not had a whole lot of experience in college as of yet­ being only a freshman in my second semester­ but so far, I have begun learning a lot about myself and who I wish to be in the future. To begin with, moving away from home to go to college is a challenge for any student, but it has been especially difficult for me as one who suffers from chronic anxiety. After a rough transistion filled with many sleepless nights and some difficulty digesting all those meals from the dining hall, I managed to hit my academic stride, finishing my first semester with a 4.0. Now, I'm confident in my capabilities as a student, but more importantly, as a person capable of facing challenges head-on. I have many dreams for the future­ dreams of traveling, writing, working in publishing and/or design­ and all those dreams seem one step closer now that I know I can live on my own, challenge myself, and am living and working in an environment filled with people who are just as passionate about their dreams in the arts and communications as I am.

I have been completely and totally immersed in studies for my major (broadcast journalism) since day one. Some schools make you wait until your junior year before you get to take classes in your major. At Emerson it's on from day one. From your first day you can get involved in whatever it is that interests you. The level of your participation is up to you, but by getting involved you not only practice what you are learning first hand but it keeps you interested and involved. I whole heartedly recommend Emerson College.

Shakala

As a freshman at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts, I have already achieved so much. Not just academically wise, but career wise too. My first semester of college, I was a reporter and correspondent for two of the award-winning student run organizations at Emerson College. I also joined the Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority and became a member of the Fashion Society. As a broadcast journalism major, I am striving to become the next Katie Couric. Emerson College is giving me the tools that I need to pursue this ambition. I have always been a compassionate, motivated and talented individual. I am determined to be successful, and I know I will be. Maintaining a 3.4 GPA average, my college experience thus far has been amazing. It is crucially important to recieve the right education so that you can pursue your dreams. With recieving that education, you must also get involved as much as you can. Getting involved will help you in your career ambitions and it will help you to pursue those ambitions faster. You never know if you can do something if you don't try. College has taught me that.

College is different for everyone. It is an experience that is unique to each individual. Through the college experience I have learned to be completely on my own. I don't mean living on my own with out my parents and learning to be independent. I mean completely on my own and learning how to fend for myself and be my own friend. In the college experience you get the chance to meet a lot of interesting people and some of those people teach you some really important lessons about life and slowly you start to grow up. These lessons taught me to be dependent on myself for my own happiness. I had some great, absolutely AMAZING times in college, but the hardest part was leaving college and still knowing that my life was going to move on with or without those people in my life. College taught me how to be an adult and to believe in myself without reconfirmation from anyone else but me.

Connor

College truly is the best four years of your life. It’s a time of self-discovery, of friendships made that will last a lifetime, and experience gained that will stay with you throughout your life. I know for sure now that I want to become a television writer, no matter how impossible it may seem. I have met fantastic people who will probably be in the top of their fields. I’ve learned how to cope with rejection and to bull though it. Life can be crap, it can be frustrating, it may not seem worth it, but eventually, it is. Emerson College isn’t just another institution of higher learning, it’s reality, it’s life. No matter how much I may second-guess myself in times of crisis, I always know that whatever I’m going through, I can turn to my friends, laugh, sleep it off, and look forward to doing it all over again the next day.

Stefany

A lot of connections and recommendations, you're basically paying for the job you can secure after graduation. Definitley worth it.

jessica

Ifi was able to go back in time in talk to myself, I would tell myself that college life isn't what its cracked up to be. I explain to myself that there is alot of studying and hardwork to succeed in the class room. I will tell myself know that in order for me to succeed, I will have to manage my time between my friends and school work, and spend more time on my school work then hanging out with my friends, because in the end if I hang out with friends, I will not be graduateing and they will and they will move one while you are left behind. I will assure myself that everything will be ok, If i have any problems ask don't just push it off and try to do your best. Ask for the help thats why there are instructors they are there to help you make the grade and walk across the stage in the end.

?Seek first to understand, then to be understood.? High school seniors stand with legs straddling doorways of childhood homes and college dorms. Seniors need to reject self-importance and listen to parents. As a self-absorbed senior, I claimed as teens do, that my parents didn?t ?understand? what 21st century teens require in college. In the need to exert control over destiny, I didn?t listen. Parental advice was dismissed. Like many families the college search was fraught with tension. Parental insights fell on deaf ears. Instead of trying to be understood, I should?ve tried to understand. Why as we approach graduation, do we ignore the words of the only people who?ve always had our interest/success at heart? Instead of listening attentively, we like Odysseus?s crew plug our ears against the sirens? song. But unlike sirens, parents mean no harm. They understand us. They know our needs. Shouldn?t they, after nurturing and guiding us to senior year? My advice, listen to parents. Really try to understand. Don?t feel you?re misunderstood. You?re not. Parents offer sound advice that will help you choose the best college that suits personal, financial, and academic needs.

You will be ok. A lot of things are changing right now, an open mind to this change will soon become your best friend. Call home, but once a day; not three or four times. In the whirwind of change that is this transition, home is the one constant. Trust in that. Don't forget to have fun; go the movies, or a play, or for a walk around your city. You are here for four years- never again will you have the opportunity to live as you are now. Remember the reasons you loved Emerson in the first place and rediscover those reasons. Be confident in the fact that you have made the right decision in this school. But, most importantly, in the words of Christian D. Larson, "Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle."

As a high school senior, I was already three years into a committed relationship. Unfortunately, my priority when entering my first year of college was focusing on keeping my relationship in tact and withstanding the test of change. I knew to expect that college changes people and I watched as my friends ended their relationships in preparing for what was to come. I stuck it out with my boyfriend and we made it to our four-year anniversary. Two months later it was over for the same reasons my friends ended theirs: it was time to look change in the eye and experience new things and relationships. If anything, I would tell myself not to fight change and certainly not to fear it. In trying to keep a relationship exactly how it had always been, I forefitted opportunities to grow as an individual. Allowing yourself the time to be your own number one is the most precious experience one can have- especially during such a crucial window of your life. Finally, I would try to instill empowerment in the young girl who valued the title of someone's girlfriend more than being an individual at too young an age.

I'm a sophomore transfer student at Emerson College in Boston and I absolutely love it here. I'm from the Boston area, but I spent my freshman year at another university far away from home. If I had known what the next two years would bring in my senior year of high school, I would have done things a little differently. In my senior year I applied to Emerson as a Theater major and was rejected, so I went to college in New York instead. After spending a few months at a school that wasn't a good fit for me, I reapplied to Emerson as a Media Studies major. This time, I was accepted and offered the greatest grant the school gives. It turns out that I'm much more cut out for behind the scenes work; I feel that I'm learning so much more than I did last year and I'm preparing myself for a great career. If I could go back in time, I would show myself what I'm really good at and make sure to apply for the right major so I could avoid spending a year in the wrong place.

If I were able to go back in time and give myself advice for college it would be to entirely change my expectation of college classes. As a graduating high school senior I assumed that college classes would simply be a harder version of what I had already experienced. I quickly learned that this was not the case- the classes I attended did not simply fill my head with facts and figures, they entirely altered my way of thinking. For example, I took an Environmental Ethics class my first semester and assumed it would mostly be about recycling and saving trees- an idea that my professor dismissed in the first class. Instead, we explored numerous opinions (including sustainability, the definition of wilderness, deep ecology, ecofeminism, and others) and weighed them against each other. I found myself surrounded by insight that I had never even been exposed to; it went far beyond what I had picked up from the media. So, were I able to go back in time, I would tell myself to prepare for an entirely transformed way of thinking about my place in the world.

I would begin first by saying, "It's not going to be easy. " Because choosing a college to attend in the first place was one of the toughest decisions I have ever made, and occasionally I wonder, in spite of my current contentment with my college of choice, if I made the "right" choice, and how my life might be different at another school. Then I would advise myself that there will be times when I'll have to make a real effort, both socially and academically, in order to get the most out of my college experience, that the days when I had everything come so easily to me will be over. I might not want to make that effort at times, but for the most part it will be worth it. And trust your gut feeling, don't spend too much time second-guessing yourself. But my advice wouldn't be completely negative; I'd also tell myself that I should keep my mind open, because there will be plenty of different and engaging people and experiences that I shouldn't miss out on. And finally, don't let fear and anxiety get the better of you.

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would have plenty of advice to give myself. First off, I would tell myself that college is an amazing experience and probably one of the best times of my life. I would go on, though, to tell myself that while college is a great time, there needs to be a balance between work and play. College can be challenging, but the work is not beyond what I am capable of. Self-discipline and maturity are factors that I would need to possess. Going to college is a great privilege, and it would be a shame to throw it all away because of some poor choices. Another thing I would tell myself is that I need to make the best out of the college experience. This involves making good friends, working hard, and getting invovled. While studying and working may not be the most fun way to spend your time, the reward will feel a lot better than the feeling of letting the years slip by. Getting a good grade or having a great accomplishment is a great sensation. College is a wonderful experience.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first stress the need to keep an open mind when entering college. This I feel would be some of the greatest advice, as when making the transition to college, many individuals, including myself for a brief period of time, maintain a high school mentality, shutting some options or opportunities out in the beginning for the sake of a single direction. At nearly all schools, especially Emerson College, it is important to take into consideration all the opportunities presented in class, within extra-curricular activities, and those made known by your career services office, such as internships and off-campus events. Becoming involved and participating in as much as possible early on that interests you and benefits your major is essential in both enriching your college experience, and finding connections. I would compliment this by encourgaing myself to take this open mind and use it to build as many connections as possible early on in the college experience. Being a film student, needing to cast and or participate in productions, this is very beneficial when looking for support in college, and importantly, outside when entering the professional world.

The first thing I would tell myself is that i made the correct choice of school, and not to doubt my choice. I would also tell myself to look forward to a wonderful freshman and sophomore year. Another important thing i would remind myself to do is eat a good meal the night before I moved into my dorm for the first time, which would probably save me the horrible migraine headache I experienced that day. Other specific things I would mention would be applying for scholarships, because my current school totally screwed me out of financial aid, and when fafsa says my contribution should only be 16k, and the school demands 42k, it's going to cause a lot of family drama that I wish i could have avoided. Overall i would just tell myself to be happy and rest assured that at the time I was making the best possible choices for me.

Edgar

Edgar, You need to save money. You were fine this first semester of college but having a little extra spending money will be nice. Secondly, I know you've applied to tons of scholarships, you need to apply more, maybe 20 or 30 more. Stay in better contact with your friends and family from home but don't let it take away from your college experience. Your grades will be fine so feel free to get as involved as possible in everything. Focus hard on what you love, don't give in to any unnessessary distractions. I mean, have fun but don't let that get in between what you are passionate about. Never stop meeting people! You will make some great connections in college that will help you get the best opportunities available. Good luck, have fun, and be careful. Love, Edgar

Stay off the internet! That is the best advice that I can give to myself circa 2008-2009. Sure, in this technology-crazed age it seems both impossible and a little bit ridiculous? how else are you supposed to keep in touch with everything you left behind? Check your e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter? Procrastinate? Well, you?re not ? at least not compulsively. The best part about dorming is meeting new people. Talking with your roommates. Chatting up that cute guy down the hall. The only way that?s going to happen is if you take your nose out of your laptop and fine-tune your conversational abilities. Grab your new friends and find something to do in your brand-new city; this is where you?re going to be living for the next four years, after all. Make a list of all the things to do for free ? drop by the Museum of Fine Arts or walk through Boston Common. The inspiration is overwhelming, and you need to take advantage of it. Pretty soon, this city is going to be blanketed in snow and it?s going to be too cold to leave your extra-long twin-size bed.

Leigh

Stay true to yourself.

If I could travel back in time to my high school self, I would have three points of advice. First, your teachers are lying to you about the difficulty of college classes and asssignments. Stop worrying about it, and you will have less anxiety problems. Second, it is easier to make friends when you open your mouth and don't shut it. Third, always follow your instinct. Life will always be better if you do, don't make the mistake I did!

Gaul

Going back in Time is priveledge not many and probaby any people have, but if I were to go back to last year I would ask myself to consider expectations. I know what the school expects of me, but it might be more beneficial for my goals if I knew what to expect of it. I feel Emerson tries to make the students feel like they are living on their own in, trying to make it in the city like 'real life.' I would ask my high school senior self that if I wanted to feel like I was living in the 'real life' then why not just do it and go out and work? I might have suggested that if I am going to a school, I should expect there to be the community of the school that might only be created through living on a school campus. I would advise myself to consider what I was expecing to get out of the school socially. Not the type or frequency of its parties, but rather the type of people who go there and really find out if I want to learn how to get along with them.