Emerson College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Emerson College

The "campus" is a bit scattered but it's not too difficult to get used to used to and get around. A lot of the professors have open discussions which allows students to hear each others opinions and have conversations with each other instead of just listening to the professor. The food is great and there's multiple places around the campus to get some (The Max is where you go when you need to get something to eat at 12 a.m. while working on that essay).

Madison

If you're looking for a second home away from home, this is it! The creative energy is coveted, almost everyone knows what Harry Potter house they belong in, and calling Emerson a Liberal school would be an understatement. Small class sizes, living in Boston, access to modern film technology, and a long list of places to study abroad. Did I mention that Emerson College has a castle in the Netherlands? Definitely recommend if you're looking for a creative school that will teach you what you need to know for the real world.

Joe

It's cool

Beatrice

Are you an independent, career-minded, out-spoken individual who still enjoys the luxuries of not being a real adult quite yet? Are your ready to spread your wings and fly at a reasonable altitude over a city that's not quite as engulfing as New York? Emerson College might just be for you! This college is the perfect liminal environment to really send you on your way to being a cynical 20-something, ready to struggle in a world that previous generations have prepared (or didn't prepare?) for them. You'll be up to your hairline in debt (trust me, it'll be praying to recede for fear of being drowned by Sallie Mae), but you'll also be full of passion raised by your peers whose depth and emotional intelligence succeeds that of anyone from back home. Ready or not (you have no choice!), you'll leave college and enter the 'real world' feeling completely disillusioned, but impossibly hopeful, for the rest of your life.

Avrumie

Emerson college is the most artistically, open-minded school, that I have ever encountered. It is like this beast of a creative being, with little minds carrying artistic ideas that will change the world. I have loved every moment of my time at Emerson college and will cherish the memories and lessons I have learned forever.

isabelle

Emerson College is a great school for select majors including journalism and theater. Almost all the professors highly value class and usually involve real-time situations. The classes are very interactive and many of the professors take extra time to look over assignments personally and make sure everyone is following along. The campus dining can use some improvement but because of the surrounding area and the great location in Boston, there are a lot of other amazing places to eat. If you are really into sports and want to play for the school Emerson is not the place to be there are very few sports teams here and most are not very good. There is not a large party scene at Emerson, but a large percentage do take advantage of the clubs in the area but only on weekends. The location of the college is excellent especially since you can take public transportation all across the city and to other cities including New York. Because of the city structure, you have to walk a large distance in order to get to your dorm, classes, and the dining hall which is a bit difficult due to ongoing construction, traffic, and protests in the area. The school is extremely close to many historical sites in the area like the Boston public gardens and the Boston massacre so for history enthusiasts, it is a great place to be. Most of the dorms are updated however the elevators in the building have a tendency to not work and the rooms in the Paramount are extremely small and cold. Overall the school is pretty great but like all, it has a few issues.

Ryan

Despite it's flaws, Emerson College happened to be a school I couldn't have asked for much better and furthermore. Throughout the first week I have met a lot of people I consider now to be close friends, I fell in love with the campus environment and the surrounding passion for film and the arts, and I've met some of the most intellectual and down-to-earth professors in and out of the classroom. It's only been about a semester, but I'm looking forward to the next memories to come.

kira

Emerson College is a solid school. People like to complain regardless of where they are, but all in all I feel lucky to be a part of the Emerson community. People have intelligent conversations, there's little to no judging others, and the location is incredible. Your experience here depends on what you put into it -- there are rigorous classes available and there are also some easier classes -- if you want to challenge yourself, you can.

Gabriella

Emerson is a school that revolves around your future career, even the club organizations are run like jobs to prepare students for their future. Everyone is constantly busy with work during the week, but they usually have some down time over the weekend.

Christina

Emerson is a great atmosphere with a lot of faculty who are always eager to help you improve. Boston is a large artistic community and together it and Emerson thrive. My main gripe comes down to the price of education at Emerson. I can it afford it through loans. The school should stop spending so much money on new building purchases and start putting more money toward its students since there are many, like myself, too poor to attend but have always dreamed of doing so.

Emerson is the weirdest bunch of hippies you'll ever encounter. Day one, you pull up to school and the Move In assistants are clad in rainbow tutus and afro wigs. It's very apparent at first glance that this school is not for people who desire to fly under the radar. If you go to Emerson, you must love Boston. It is one of Emerson's greatest pulls. Creativity is equally important as intelligence, and sometimes intelligence seems like a lesser requirement. Expect food poisoning. Expect passion. Expect a protest in the park every couple of weeks. Expect people with crazy, beautiful stories. And expect to be changed.

Robert

I certainly feel Emerson is the place for me as I head for my degree and my experience here reflects that. The professor are usually always willing to help you and classes have been engaging and creative thus far. The student body can be relatively toxic at times from my experience and whether it is for a good reason or not is not my place to say and I advise people to see for themselves since views of people vary I know. While I do not live on-campus, I usually stay in the dorms with friends quite frequently and can say the dormitories are alright I suppose. They are not lavish by any means and also are not terrible. They are bearable and reasonable, especially for the downtown area of Boston. There's a lot to do in this area of Boston: it's a great location with many places to eat and have a good time at. Boston Common is also right on the college's doorstep across the street which makes for a nice view for those who live in the dormitories that face it. Speaking of things to do, extracurricular activities at Emerson are plentiful. With my major being theatre education, there is much theatre to be found with many shows going on. Emerson is most known for its film program and the extracurricular activities also reflect that as well. I always see posts on every wall about crew calls for filming which shows just how active the community is. All in all, Emerson is a great college to go to I would say and would recommend it to close friends interested in the arts.

Irina

I love the location in the downtown Boston, close to everything. The academic is great and professors always offer to help you do your best.

Grace

Emerson is a great place for people interested in pursuing a career in the arts or communications. There are some amazing professors who are always readily accessible, and class sizes are small. The overall energy here is busy, as everyone is always doing a million projects at once. Very friendly attitude towards everyone in a great area of Boston.

ATHENA

Emerson College is the college of any art nerd's dream. From amazing facilities to it's location, it has just about everything that a person could want there. And the people, either on or off campus make you feel like you're home, like you've found where you belong. That's not an easy thing to feel sometimes in a world so big, but Emerson makes it so easy with all of their support groups, activities, and organizations. Emerson is the college for everything, even international students around the world, and it's insane how much they give to their students, especially when they have so many interesting courses that just about anyone can take.

ATHENA

Cailyn

Emerson College is a great school for people who are passionate and confident in what they want to study. The limited majors offered at Emerson make the school very specialized and not necessarily the right fit for students who want to explore a variety of different academic fields. Emerson is a true city campus, meaning that students walk out of their dorm buildings right onto the busy streets of the city of Boston. This can be a little jarring for students who come from smaller towns or were expecting a more traditional college campus. Emerson overall is a very accepting place in which students who felt out-of-place in high school feel at home.

Alex

The Emerson College experience is one that is unique, inviting, and exciting. Someone who attends Emerson is constantly surrounded by the arts, whether it be attending a play on campus or receiving invites from fellow students to explore museums around the area. Students are open-minded and you are guaranteed to meet people from all over the world. I would say that the most developed and coveted concentration/major at the school is Film. The film program is taken extremely seriously and is ranked well nationally. One thing, as a student who transferred from Emerson to another college in the Boston area, that I would "complain" about is the rigor of the academics and the lack of attention to topics that exist outside of the fine arts realm. Subjects such as maths and hard sciences, classical studies, and the social sciences are sort of pushed to the side, rather than integrated into the curriculums created for each major. Besides that (and how expensive tuition is), I would strongly recommend Emerson to someone who is interested in film, theatre, or other creative pursuits.

Alexis

Emerson College has been a truly incredible place to spend the last couple years. Small class sizes and plenty of hands-on activities mean that I've really gotten to experience what it's like to work on large projects within my desired field of study. While the Gen-Eds sometimes leave a little to be desired, the professors are usually more than willing to lend an ear. Additionally - extracurricular organizations are EVERYTHING here. I've made some of the best connections through them!

Jack

Impressive from the very start. I took a tour in March as an admitted student. The first stop was a beautiful well run visitor center. The groups were split up an each given 2 current students to guide us. The campus is clean and bustling with activities. The dining commons were nicely equipped and smelled delicious. The security at the entrance to all the buildings was a comfort, therefore limiting any public access. All in all great experience

Sabrina

Emerson College is firstly a home for creative students. Your fellow students are all there to learn, meet other art students and to live in Boston. Overall Emerson College has taught me a lot about the art of filmmaking. But what I got most out of my experience so far is the connections I've made with other students and teachers, and living in one of the greatest city in the US.

Lillian

I love it here. It wasn't my first choice at first, but it ended it being the most credible and urban-centered. The classes are interesting and they really try to get similar people to room together. My roommates are my best friends. There's always free movies at the nearby theatre and Boston in general is just a great city to be a part of.

Eri

There are some pretty good parts of the college, but many students are critical towards it. I believe I have been affected by these opinions as well. One of the most discussed problem is the lack of student ethnical diversity. The majority of students are white, and it is rare to even have one black student in a classroom. This issue has been discussed among students constantly, and it is pretty ironic as we have a black school president. The reasoning to this issue is mainly focussed on the cost of tuition and the lack of scholarships. I have not seen any changes at this moment, so I do not know if there will be any change in the near future (the tuition has been increasing about 4% every year). This is the biggest issue at my college. However, there are good parts as well. Student organizations are very active on campus. There are constantly crew calls and casting calls, both for BFAs and personal projects. You can have great experience through these projects no matter the skills you have. I had no previous experience in my field, but I now I have experience through these projects. So if you want to learn hands on, I will recommend my college.

Alison

Emerson is an exceptional school for young artists to come together and help each other flourish. While it does have its flaws, there is no other place I would rather be to receive an education in the arts. The professors are understanding and upfront with you about the struggle of an artistic lifestyle. However, they are also there to offer advice and share stories about their own ability to overcome. On top of that, the networking opportunities are extraordinary. It truly feels like everyone is there to help each other succeed.

Kurt

This is the best school ever if you are serious about pursuing the arts. They pretend like they are a liberal arts college so you have to take some real courses, but they really aren't. The best way to get the most out of this school is to join every organization you can without burning out. Emerson affords its students millions of opportunities to make films, put up shows, act, direct, write, laugh, dance, you name it.

Leah

It's a really great school if you know career path you want to follow. If you're undecided, Emerson isn't the place to figure it out, since you're on the fast track to your trade from your first semester. There's a lot of good things: nice dorms, friendly and outgoing student body, passionate professors, small classes (unless you're a film student), the Common right across the street. There's definitely issues with diversity as well as the school not always addressing student needs adequately.

Deauna

Emerson honestly has a lot going for them. The academics are done well die to the enthusiasm and passion the professors have. They also maintain regular office hours, and genuinely want to help us learn and succeed. The institution itself is really adamant about making sure all students feel safe, and are in the process of making Emerson an all inclusive environment. Even though I am a freshman, I can tell tge institution is very caring towards its students and truelly are devoted to making sure they have the necessities and skills to be a leader by graduation.

Emerson is great but it is not as diverse as it claims to be. It really isn't diverse at all. The majority of students are white and wealthy. They do try very hard to be inclusive and they do a pretty good job (gender neutral bathrooms, accessibility services, accommodations) but the student body is not at all diverse.

Abigail

I like Emerson College. At times it can be a little hard, for me personally, because I do not fit in well with the other students' qualities (i.e. artistic, politically active). However, despite this, the classes are good and the people are usually friendly. Not to mention we have a great location in Boston, right across from the Common. I wish I could live on campus junior and senior year, but we simply don't have the space.

Gina

I am proud t

I love attending Emerson College! Most of the teachers are great, and the students are very passionate! Everyone is super nice and positive, and the environment is very inclusive. I feel safe on campus most of the time except for at night because we are right across the street from the Boston Common.

Nic

Emerson College is not your usual college campus. Its classes are equally odd in terms of what you'd expect from "the college experience", and its people are no different. There are students here who I honestly think would not fit in at any other college in the country. This is a school of weirdos, nerds, geeks, and sociopaths. And yet I would not have it any other way.

Molly

For the most part, I'm really enjoying my time at Emerson College. All of my professors are very knowledgable in their subjects, and they tend to be extremely accessible outside of the classroom -- one uses a workplace communication app for our class so we have 24/7 access to him, and another had us follow him on Twitter to contact him. The classes are challenging and I feel like I'm learning a lot. However, it's very difficult to get any sort of additional financial aid from the college after your initial award, so good luck getting help if you're a low-income student and can't afford upwards of $50k out of pocket. Some students also do have a superiority complex and look down on other majors/lower-income students, but it's a private art school, so that might be par for the course.

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. It lies in the heart of boston and it is great!!

Dakota

It's a great school, and it's in the middle of an amazing city. The campus is right next to Chinatown, so there's always something to eat when the Dining Hall is disappointing. Being an arts school, there's always a show to watch or to try out for. The TV stations are top notch and you can always try to act in, work for, or even produce your own show. The faculty is helpful, the people are friendly, and it all makes the giant amounts of debt I'm going into to go here worth it.

As someone who was terrified of college, I have found Emerson to be an environment in which I thrive. The class sizes are perfect to foster discussion-based learning and allow the professor to know my name and my work. I have been able to foster great relationships with professors who truly care about not only my success, but about me. There is an abundance of extracurriculars, so there is something for everyone. I was able to get a job on campus with extremely flexible hours, so that I can work and work can work around me. If you’re looking for parties containing a wide variety of substances, they’ll mostly be off campus but there is always something to be found hidden on campus. As for safety, it is hard to be in the middle of Boston and feel safe at night. The campus police, however, are one phone call away to escort you back to your dorm or wherever you need to be. The housing selection process is disorganized and relatively unfair, but the dorms themselves are pretty large. There is always construction going on. There is a lack of activity in pursuing sexual harassment and assault claims that the college has faced backlash from students for, but it appears that they might finally be listening. No college is without its faults, but Emerson has been able to provide a constructive learning environment where I feel like I am heard and a priority.

Katrina

Emerson College is a school for people who know what they're passionate about and are ready to work hard at it. While classes are helpful and connecting with professors can lead to important networking opportunities, the culture of learning at Emerson is mostly outside the classroom in extracurriculars. You can get your degree by attending class, but students who put themselves out there and work hard are the students who really take advantage of everything Emerson has to offer and end up succeeding after graduation.

Kiersten

I think it's a good school to attend, especially for Journalism majors because it is number one in the country for the Journalism department. However, there are definitely some things we should improve, such as campus housing, campus food, and stuff pertaining to diversity and equity.