Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

I won't speak for Everyone but I know that I love Emory. It might seem to be on the small size but I didn't want to go to a huge school where I would've felt like just a number. Also, I love that Emory is in a real city (Atlanta) and not a "college town." There's always tons to do. Finally, we are one the most culturally diverse schools in the country!

As I said, Emory students are very diverse. Students come from the East Coast, the West Coast, place in between and even from overseas. I think everyone can "find a place" here and the stereotype that we are institution of rich brats is entirely untrue. My family is by no means rich and a lot of kids have jobs on or off campus. Politically, most students tend to lean toward the left but if you're a conservative, you could probably find someone with views like yours if you looked. My roommate, for example, is politically more conservative.

The student group that I am most involved with is the newspaper, The Emory Wheel. It is a great group of people for working with and for just hanging out with. I am not involved with Greek life directly but thee sororities and fraternities do have a pretty large presence on our campus. Even if you are not Greek, you can attend most of the frat parties and mixers. The brothers and sisters are very open to hanging out with non-Greeks. My two favorite student activities are Dooley's Week and SongFest. Dooley's Week is an annual celebration in the spring that honors our unofficial mascot named Dooley. The week involves lots of free food, usually a stand up comedian and of course a few concerts and its all for free. SongFest is something that you go through only once at the beginning of your freshmen year. You and your dorm sing and dance in the Woodruff PE Center (aka the WoodPEC), competing against the other dorms.

Emory has a lot of "general ed" requirements compared to other places because one of their goals is to offer a well-rounded liberal arts education. Even PE credits (something you thought you'd be done with after high school) are required. I think this is a good thing but if you already know what you want to do, you may not want to be stuck taking so many general ed classes. I will say that within the requirements there is a lot of freedom. For example, with PE credits, you can join a club sport and have that count towards your PE. They also offer fun classes like white water rafting and rock climbing for PE. I'm an English and Spanish major and my classes are usually pretty small. My professors almost always know everyone in the class and will meet for one on one discussions about class. I don't do an ungodly amount of studying; however, I do write a lot of papers.

One HUGE stereotype about Emory kids is that we're spoiled or we come from rich families. This is not true at all. There are kids from all different kinds of families and Emory offers tons of need based and merit based financial aid.

Lindsey

Emory is a small, private school with about 7500 undergrads, which makes it easy for students to get to know at least half if not more of their own class. When I tell people I go to Emory, half of them say they have never heard of it, and the other half is usually impressed and comments on how smart I must be to go to a school like Emory. Emory is unique in that it has its own version of school spirit. Many people accuse Emory of lacking in school spirit because we're not a sports school, and they're right. We compete in the NCAA division III level and there is no amazing team we can rally around. Most students are apathetic to sporting events on campus unless they have specific ties or their friends are on a sports team. Emory's school spirit mostly comes from the smaller group of students who are involved on campus and participate in many extracurricular activities. Aside from our official mascot, the Emory Eagle, we also have an unofficial and unusual mascot named Lord James W. Dooley, a mischievous skeleton who roams around campus throughout the school year. The traditional is unique to Emory and is the source of much of Emory's school spirit. Dooley dates back to the early 1900s when he first appeared in a school publication. Since then, he's come to life on campus each year through an anonymous student who dresses up as him. He also has a spirit week dedicated to him in the spring semester called Dooley's Week, where he lets out students from their classes if they write a clever limerick to him. Emory has had quite a lot of big name artists perform on campus, including Wiz Khalifa, B.O.B., Girl Talk, Third Eye Blind, T.I., One Republic and Big Boi since I've been at Emory. We've also had comedians, like Daniel Tosh, Tracy Morgan and Kevin Nealon, come to campus, all through the planning of the Student Programming Council. Third Eye Blind is my favorite band of all time, so getting to see them live and front row for FREE at Emory was probably the best experience I've had up to date at this school. Emory delivers in terms of offering the most and best out of your student activity fee. The most populated spots on campus are the Dobbs University Center, or the DUC, where the main dining hall is located and where most student organizations meet; Cox Hall, the main food court, ballroom space and computer lab; and the library, which is more of a social scene than a study space save for those designated quiet area. I spend most of my time in the DUC or Cox. As an involved student, I'm at the DUC at least once a day, and for lunch or a place to study in between classes, I go to Cox. The most recent and biggest controversy on campus in my three and a half years occurred last spring when seven students, who call themselves the Emory 7, were arrested after occupying the quad in front of the administration building for several days to protest Emory support of our food company, Sodexo, whom they claim have human rights abuses. There was local coverage and widespread gossip about the event to which the Emory's president, James Wagner, responded saying that those seven students were misinformed. Most other students heard or read about the matter and either didn't care or thought that these students were protesting for the sake of protesting or influenced by the same kind of protests on different college campuses. In the end, the commotion died down and the administration handled it well. Regarding administration, that's one area I feel where Emory gets to strict on its students, especially in the area of student enjoyment. Emory administrators seem to be tough on Greek life and on campus programming, but many student leaders have forged relationships with administrators to reach compromise between both viewpoints.

Emory places a huge emphasis on being a liberal arts school, but at the same time, a large number of students are in the business school, are pre-med or pre-law. Generally class size varies depending on your major and what level of class you're taking. Introductory classes like all the 101's, are lecture size with 60-120 students. Smaller seminar classes can have as little at 5 students or 15. I'm a journalism and Spanish major, both of which are small programs compared to other majors. I know all my professors personally and they greet me by my name outside of class. I frequent their office hours from time to time. My class-size has usually ranged from 10-20 students throughout my four years at Emory. My favorite class has been my News Video class in the journalism program because I learned how to shoot video, write news packages and edit it all together using professional software for broadcast, which is what I'd like to pursue after I graduate. My least favorite class has been Political Science Methods, a statistics class for poli sci majors. I took it before I switched my second major from political science to Spanish and I absolutely hated it. Generally, students participate a lot in class and class participation is usually required in most class syllabi. Most students also study a lot and have high GPA's. Emory students are quite competitive in that way. Emory's academic requirements are pretty well-rounded and allow students to take advantage of the wide variety of classes offered to them, like the history of jazz or the Harry Potter class in the American Studies department, which is new next semester and satisfies a writing requirement. Whether Emory is geared toward getting its students jobs or learning for the sake of learning, I think it depends on the major you choose. Business school students are all about getting jobs and being successful when they graduate, but the more liberal arts departments, like the Spanish or philosophy department, is concerned with gaining knowledge and inspiring thought for its own sake.

The most popular student groups, activities and teams on campus are Greek life, the Student Programming Council, College Council, Wonderful Wednesdays, No Strings Attached a cappella group, the Indian Cultural Exchange, Korean Undergraduate Student Association, the mens' soccer, baseball and basketball teams, Karma Bhangra dance group, and AHANA dance group. I've been a part of the Student Programming Council since I was a freshman, and now as a senior, I'm the president. SPC, as we're known, is responsible for planning all the university-wide student events, including concerts, comedians, carnivals, field days, trivia nights, etc. In the past we've brought artists, such as Big Boi, Wiz Khalifa, NERD, Third Eye Blind, Matt and Kim, One Republic, Girl Talk, Super Mash Bros, B.O.B. and T.I. We also give out the most free t-shirts and food to students throughout the year. We plan the biggest events on campus, like Homecoming Week and Dooley's Week, dedicated to our unofficial skeleton mascot. These weeklong events usually include a couple of concerts and a comedian. Being a member has been one of the best and most fun experiences I've had at Emory. Student government groups, like the College Council and the Student Government Association, bring educational speakers like Soledad O'Brien, Spike Lee and Cornell West. Athletic events don't get too much of a show at Emory. Few students usually attend sporting events, but the most popular among them are the men's soccer, baseball and basketball games. Dance, theater and cultural groups are also a big source of Emory student activities. There are at least two dance shows per semester, as well as at least two theater productions per semester. Tickets usually sell out quickly so students buy them in advance. Emory also has a really great student activity called Wonderful Wednesdays where student groups gather in the center of campus at Asbury Circle every Wednesday for a few hours to publicize future events, promote their clubs or just to hang out. There's usually free food and there's always music playing. The tradition stemmed from the 1970s when the then president of Emory cancelled Wednesday classes in hopes that a mid-week break would encourage students to study more. Classes were reinstated some time later and Wonderful Wednesdays came back in 2005, thanks to the work of a secret society, as the weekly club gathering it is today. It's almost impossible to avoid stopping and hanging out for a while at WW. Social life at Emory gets a bad reputation because we're known as a smart school, but most students generally go out every weekend. Students in Greek life tend to party and go out the most about 3-4 nights a week to frat parties or local bars. Students who aren't in Greek life often go to house parties or local bar areas around Atlanta. There's a lot to do in Atlanta and on campus if you're not Greek. To show a little bit of that variety, last weekend I went to a Christmas-themed frat party one night and the next night I went to a small, local bar that encourages its patrons to play board games while they drink. Tuesday and Thursday nights are also really big going out nights at Emory. There are fewer weekend activities on campus that don't involve drinking than those activities that do, but there is a lot of university-sponsored late night programming on Friday and Saturday nights, like karaoke, food fairs and movie nights in our cinema. Students can also go off campus through our shuttle programs to museums, parks, malls or the aquarium, which is really popular in Atlanta. Greek life is quite big at Emory, more than most people who don't go to Emory think, but it's not as big as it would be in a state school for example. I have as many friends in Greek life as I do outside of Greek life. Most of my current close friends lived in my hall freshman year but I've also met many more close friends through my sorority and through Greek life. In the residence halls, it seems that most students in older dorms leave their doors open more than students who live in the newer dorms that have been built throughout the last four years. In any case, it's really easy to meet people at Emory, whether it be through your residence hall, Greek life, student clubs or through mutual friends.

Emory has the reputation of having a lot of international students, especially from Asia and India. These students get the stereotype of nerdy kids who are pre-med or business majors and spend most, if not all, of their time studying or playing video games. Emory has the stereotype of being very Jewish or having many Jewish students and that holds true. Emory students are almost a third Jewish and like to show it off. There are may student-run groups that cater to Jews, as well as Emory Hillel and Emory Chabad that host religious and cultural events for Jewish students. Non-Jewish students are welcome to these groups and events. Many of my close friends are Jewish and I've even been to a chabat dinner, which was delicious. Emory also has a pretty big focus on Greek life, which is where most of the involved students come from. Sorority girls can be labeled promiscuous, but at the same time they study hard and have great GPAs. Similarly, there are plenty of stereotypical frat guys who hit on girls and drink heavily but they also have great grades and focus on their studies. Emory generally has the stereotype that its students are intelligent and choose studying over partying, but in reality, they do both. Most students do however take their studies seriously here, which is one of the things that makes Emory a top 20 university.

Julie

Greek life is definitely a prominent aspect of Emory's social life. There are constantly parties on frat row, date parties on the weekend and mixers throughout the year. Letter shirts and bags are a large part of students wardrobe and Rush in the Spring is a very big deal. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and I have met some of my closest friends since joining as well as enjoyed some of my best moments from the parties. Many students want to be a part of Greek life here, many students become a part of it and many students make it their entire lives. BUT, Greek life at Emory is what you make of it. Yes, it can define who you are during your four years here and yes, it can determine your entire social life but only if you want it to. Given most Emory students are involved in so many other activities, Greek life is not the biggest part of people's lives at this school. Many students like myself, use it as a social outlet only but become involved in many other things on campus. Unlike many other schools, the sorority or fraternity you join does not dictate your friend group. Emory students have friends from all greek affiliations and other organizations on campus. And if you don't want to go Greek, don't worry about it, thats great too. You do not have to be in Greek life to have a social life at Emory at all. There are so many social outlets and so many other student groups and types of people here that it doesn't even matter. Not to mention, students rush in the Spring which gives you ample time to develop a group of friends and get involved before Greek life even starts. So if you want to join a sorority or fraternity, you will have an amazing time. If you don't think its for you, I promise you will still have an incredible experience at Emory.

The average Emory student definitely comes from a wealthy background and tends to be from the Northeast. But Emory also has students that come from all over the country (I'm from Portland, Oregon and no, we do not drive around in buggies) and all over the world. Emory is home to a much more diverse student body than I had expected coming into this school. I have friends from all over the world including England, Cuba, Thailand and Bulgaria. The foreign students tend to be some of the most wealthy but they also tend to be some of the brightest. In addition to being diverse, the emory student body is very very very smart. Emory was a reach school for me academically and I was thrilled when I got in. In High School I considered myself to be a motivated, intelligent and capable person and while I still view myself in that light, I am now more aware of how many other people (6000 I believe is the size of Emory currently) share those same qualities at this school. Emory may not be an Ivy League but I doubt there is another school with students as driven to succeed as they are here. While this factor can be intimidating at first, it ultimately contributes to a campus experience rife with energy, creativity and filled with great conversations.

As an English major I have had a different experience than many of my friends who I call "the science kids" at Emory. Unlike them, the largest class I have attended at Emory has been comprised of 40 students. In fact, the majority of my classes have ranged anywhere from 18 students to 6 (in a 6 person class you MUST always do the reading! Don't find that out the hard way like I did). The small class sizes at Emory has not only given me the opportunity to get to know the other students in the class and engage in the material, but establish a close relationship with my professors as well. The Emory English department caters itself to students who enjoy participating, love discussion based classes and who want to be challenged in a creative and intellectual environment. English professors will not only know your name, but wave to you on campus and if your lucky, invite you to dinner at their house. Like any major at Emory, the English major is competitive but manageable. The class material is often difficult but so intriguing that you can't help but learn it and enjoy writing the papers. You will of course, come across the occasional English teacher who does not "believe in A's" and who only allows you to read books authored by them. As ridiculous as that sounds, it does happen, trust me. However, not to worry, these teachers are usually easy to spot from a mile away. And luckily, the majority of teachers in the department are engaging, passionate and genuinely care about the success of their students.

Zachary

I would say that the stereotype of students at Emory is not all that flattering. Because it is a higher level university, we are often perceived as pretentious or pompous by the surrounding Atlanta community. The school has a very large white population as well as a vast Jewish population and that image has come to be associated with the stereotypical Emory student. Furthermore, because so many Emory students grew up in the northeast, the "Jewish New Yorker" has become a staple of the Emory student body. A lot of the girls are referred to as "jappy" and high maintenance, more concerned with their blackberries than with their classes, and the guys are considered "preppy," clad in their V-neck tee shirts and skinny jeans. It's when you delve into the Greek scene that the stereotypes really become more oppressive. There are the jock frats, the geeky ones, the Jewish ones, etc. Meanwhile there are the "jappy" sororities, the promiscuous ones, the over-achieving ones, etc. Personally, I think Emory is more diverse than people give us credit for. I have friends of all races and backgrounds and don't think it is all the difficult to find students with similar interests, no matter what it is you may enjoy. The "New York Jew" is certainly a stereotype that exists, but not one that dominates the campus. The Greek stereotypes also prescribe far too limited of an outlook in my opinion. While there are certainly people that fall into the cliche of their fraternity or sorority, I think that these stereotypes make it excusable to judge a person based on their Greek affiliation without even knowing them. I am a member of a fraternity considered by most to be "jocks," but those who know us know that we are much more diverse than that. Still, people will always pass judgments based on preconceived notions and stereotypes, that's just a part of human nature. Overall though, I like to believe that the average Emory student is well-educated enough to be above such discrimination and judge people as individuals rather than groups.

Brittney

Though my school is highly diverse, this diversification is segregated. Majority of the people hang out with mostly people of their own ethnicity. Also, the pressure to have good grades can sometimes be overwhelming and we aren't really a sports school so there's not the same kind of school spirit for games.

Majority of the students of my school seem to be sheltered or at least not used to areas like NYC (excluding Manhattan). They are very goal and study oriented.

The professors are good. My favorite class is my freshman seminar, where the teacher is so animated and passionate about what she is teaching. Though not all of my teachers are like that I have a pretty pleasant experience overall.

Oluwatosin

Not until recently, after thinking of the most important pieces of advice, did I come to the realization that giving insight to myself of college’s forthcomings would have ruined the exciting wonder of the unknown. Attending a university is a huge learning experience and some of them may be unfavorable. I can honestly mention that I am comfortable with all occurrences thus far in my college experience. I believe that both positive attributes and negative ones contribute to a successful college experience. If I had not gotten a less than desired grade on my first African American Studies argumentative paper, I would not have displayed as much appreciation after months of “trial and error” when receiving my first A. Also, say I had not gotten off at the wrong MARTA train station, I would have missed out on a rather unique journey exploring the night life in the city of Atlanta with my friends. I hope as a senior I would remember that college is what I have deemed the “Kingdom of Trial and Error”: it is best to be open minded in general but cautious when making decisions, especially important ones, and to accept what is destined.

The best attribute of Emory is the variety of activities available on campus. They offer students the ability to socialize with students who may have similar interests and also learn about new subject matter. They range from research with notable individuals, an almost overwhelming number of unique clubs to choose from and to the numerous opportunities to participate in community service projects. A strong advocate for the presence of community service initiatives, such as campus wide service programs, like Emory Cares Day, Emory has certainly proved to be a fulfilling option for me.

I wish I had at least been advised about the consequences of going out of state for college. An out of state education means increased tuition, in many cases less financial aid and more stress in terms of monetary issues. Knowing this ahead of time would have at least prepared me for the hardship to come. In all though, attending Emory has taught me to take this as a learning experience.

Brea

Emory is a great school for dedicated, hard-working students.

Emory is a great school for dedicated, hard-working students.

The diversity is hyped up, but it is hard to see it physically around.

I would tell myself not to expect the same attitudes out of college professors, and to be aware that the variety of teaching styles go way beyond what high school can show you. I would tell myself to be prepared to deal with a larger variety of people, and enjoy being able to be surrounded by so many new people at one time. I would tell myself to NEVER be afraid to ask questions nor to speak up!

Ridwan

I wish I would have known about more scholarships so I could have applied because books are not cheap. They will be costing me a fortune and I wish I had applied to more scholarships so they would have heped me during my financial situation.

The best thing about our school is the diversity and the academic atmosphere on campus. Even before entering my freshman year in August, I have met numerous individuals from not just America, but international students from all over the world. Every individual I have met from Emory so far has a passion for what they are studying and the professors could easily be named the best in the country.

Zoe

Emory is such a diverse school and I believe that there really is something here for everyone. There are all types of people here, staff included! Yes, everyone is different, but everyone belongs.

I love the fact that students have a major say in how things are run here at Emory. Whether it's from deciding what type of couches should be in the library, to the types of food that are served in the cafeteria, students are always able to give their opinions and have their voices be heard.

ashley

go to college to get a degree something that interest you. you may thank that you don't need it but thank about this: what if the enconemy crashes and you job dose y with your job that leaves you job less and just thank you might have other people like your kids that depend on that income as well and now ou out of a job and you thought money was tight it get even tighter. thank you might be a single parent???????

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.