Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Katherine

Atlanta and great professors fewer general education requirements Just right People are generally impressed when I tell them I go to Emory, but surprised that I'm not premed or business. Sorority lodge and the library Atlanta isn't a typical "college town" but there are tons of great restaurants and bars that are affordable for college students As far as I can tell, the adminstration seems competent and reasonable A conversative speaker was invited by College Republicans and got booed offstage People bitch about there not being enough school pride and blame it on our not having a football team, but I think that's stupid. You make your own school pride. Emory's unusual in that's it's the most Northern school that could possibly exist in a Georgia. I'll never forget the time my sorority had a pledge event with ATO. It ended with me wrestling my "little sister" to the ground while yelling that I was the crocodile hunter and she was my crocodile. I love Greek life. People complain a lot about GERs (General Education Requirements). There are a ton, and since everybody has to take them they're hard to get into.

Somewhat. There's definitely a jappy, coked out contigent, but they're far from the majority of students. Emory's pretty diverse, and it's hard to stereotype the students.

If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm leaving a bar and anticipating drunk ordering wings. All the devoted partiers go to the Virginia Highlands area on Tuesdays and hit up the bars there- Moe's and Joe's, Noche, and Fontaine's. The bars are small and always packed on Tuesdays, with lots of table hopping and drink spilling. Once they close, everybody goes to Maggie's, a bar in Toco Hills that will let in anybody with an ID that says 21, no matter how shitty the ID is. Tuesday night going-out is a hangover from pre-1982, when there were no classes on Wednesday (aka "Wonderful Wednesday"). The Wonderful Wednesday tradition continues with food and entertainment at Asbury Circle, but now there are classes.

Jappy, coked out trust fund kids.

Mel

I believe that the best thing about Emory is the professors. Aside from being very smart and intelligent, they are very friendly. They are always available for office hours and/or by appointment if you are having difficulties in class. Also, Health Services is very good at this school. The doctors are always availableand if you really sick, they always accept walk-ins. I think my school size is just right. I know most of the people here, and most of them know me. What is so amazing about everything is despite its small size, you still meet people every time you go out and such. When I tell people about Emory, I always get a positive reaction from them. Emory has a great reputation, and I feel really proud telling people I go here. Most of my time on campus I spend it in the library. Obviously i go there to study, but sometimes, especially during finals, you ran into everybody at the school. Most people say the library is like another Maggies, our famous bar. The only thing that I would change about Emory is its pride. People don't usually attend school events or sports games, so school pride is not a big thing here. I think its because we don't have a football team.

One thing that I have noticed about Emory is its lack of diversity. Yes, Emory has students from around the world, but in very, very small percentages. People here are mostly from the same background, and international students may feel out of place. I was born in Colombia, and later moved to the States. i felt a big cultural shock when I came here because the people were so different from me.I would enjoy my time here more if Emory had more people from Latin America and other parts of the world. Most students wear to class comfortable clothes. Sweats, big T-shirts, and baggy sweaters. Fashion isn't really big here.

Although there is a really high percentage of students from the north and who are jewish, most of them don't fit the typical Emory stereotype. Yes, most people at Emory are very wealthy, which is why they can afford to pay $40,000 dollars of tuition and want to belong to the university known as the Ivy League of the South. But you also notice that people at Emory are very ground to earth and don't believe in showing off because a majority at the school comes from a high social status.

As I mentioned before, I love the professors at this school. Most of them try really hard to know their students name, which makes us feel special. My favorite class without a doubt is Portuguese 412. I am a Portuguese minor, and I really like my professor. She is originally from Brazil, and she loves to teach others about her country. I think my least favorite class is PE. I workout a lot outside of class, so sometimes it can be really boring going back to the gym twice a day. Students study a lot at this school Most of them are really committed and can spend hours at end trying to get their work done. All nighters are really common amongst students. The most unique class I have taken has to be theater. I really loved the interactivity in the class. I learned so much about myself, and expressing myself in front of others. I am a Journalism major. At first I thought it was going to be an easy, but I was mistaken. Its a lot of writing, and sometimes its a little too much. But Emory has a great Writing Center that helps me with my grammar and organization which has been a big help for me. Education ar Emory is geared toward getting a job. Most of the professors prepare us for our future careers, especially in my field. My professor right now is teaching us about vocalization in case we want to go into broadcast.

Without a doubt, greek life is really important here. Most of the school body belongs to a fraternity/sorority and most of the social events revolve around these. I belong to tri-delt and I absolutely love it. There is always something to do, whether its a mixer or a date party. You meet tons of girls/guys who are really happy to meet you too. Athletic events aren't really popular. Most people don't go to them, either because they don't know about it or because they don't care. Although recently, the basketball games are becoming a big hit on campus because the team just beat Rochester, the number one team in the country. Tuesdays are really fun here, most people go to the Highlands, where most of the bars are. All of us meet at the same place and drink the famous margaritas that are sold at Noche. Finally, everybody heads to Maggies, to end the night. On night that you don't want to drink, there are tons of stuff to do. Atlanta has a lot of delicious restaurants. You can also go to the movies or go shopping to one of its many malls.

Emory Students are thought to be rich, liberal, jewish kids from the North, mostly from New York and Long Island. Most people say students go to Emory because they could not get into an Ivy league school. Also, people believe that Emory is a very diverse university.

Brian

As a memember of a fraternity, I have to say that Greek life is the best thing about Emory. It make social networking a hell of a lot easier and it's fun to be around a huge group of cool guys that have similar tastes and ambitions, but who are still diverse in personality. Emory often feels a little bit too small in terms of its student body. At times it seems that everyone knows everyone through Greek life, classes, etc. However, most of the time, it seems just right. It can often feel like a cozy little community. The Emory Administration seems to be a bit greedy. Students who are not on financial aid pay about 45,000 dollars to go here, and yet we are still over-charged on parking, books, printing, food, etc... Sometimes Emory feels like a money-hungry corporation. There's not much school pride at Emory, but it's definitely growing. Emory students know how to party. If there was a way to calculate the ratio between partying and studying, one would discover that Emory students somehow find a way to do a lot of both. I suppose Emory students are pretty intense in both social and academic activity.

While Emory has a diverse student body, different ethnic and social groups do not intermix well. Asian students hang out with other Asians, Jews with Jews, black students with black students, etc... Most Emory students are from suburbs of large cities (New York, Chicago,and Boston seem to be the most common). One only needs to visit an Emory parking lot to understand the financial background of Emory Students (sometimes it looks like an Audi or BMW dealership here) Many students are politlcally aware. Since a bulk of the student body is from the northeast, it seems that students are mostly politically liberal.

It is true, that many Emory Students fit the aforementioned description. However, most of these students are concentrated in Greek Organizations, which only make up 30% of the student body. The other 70% of Emory is rather diverse, not only ethnically, but socially.

My experience in Emory academia revolves around the English department: - Great teachers who are friendly, approachable, and extraordinarily intelligent - I have found the liberal arts education at Emory to be extremely inspiring - Some students have intellectual discussion outside of class. Some students party. - The Business School at Emory is geared for students to find jobs, the liberal arts education is geared toward learning for its own sake

Sometimes it seems that social life revolves around Greek life. Much of the bar and party scene does revolve around fraternities and sororities. However, I'm sure that there is a broad and diverse social life beyond the walls of Greek life. 2am on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you are Maggies Bar and Grill (Emory's dive bar). Emory has some pretty impressive guest speakers (Jimmy Carter, Salmon Rushdie, The Dalai Lama). I hope that most students take advantage of these opportunities.

The most common stereotype is that Emory Students are rich, Jewish, and Jappy. It is said that most of us are from Long Island.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.