Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Reem

Most people think of Emory as a sort of "Pre-Med Central." (It's certainly a fantastic place to be if you are pursuing a career in medicine, but the majority of students at the College, at least by junior year, are not pre-med.) Emory's also well known for its myriad research opportunities and strong emphasis on the liberal arts (it's got one of the best Creative Writing programs in the nation!). Finally, it has quite the academic reputation and is sometimes referred to as the 'Harvard of the South.'

Most people around you are complaining about how they’re “so over school,” and there’s probably a countdown to the days till graduation on some whiteboard. Of course, you’re looking forward to graduation and excited about college, but when that’s all anyone talks about, it’s easy to let your senior year slip away like grains of sand in your hand. Don’t let that happen. Rather than consume your thoughts with future hopes, focus more on the present—on academics on college/scholarship/financial aid applications, of course, but also on something equally critical. Focus on relationships. You’ll probably never see the students in your classes again; make an effort to get to know them a little more, to laugh with them, even if you don’t like them. Reach out to your teachers. It’s so easy to spend time with teachers in high school--not so in college! Most importantly, don’t forget your family. Even though you’re looking forward to moving out, realize that you will miss home. Do something sweet for your mom. Hang out with your brother. In sum, make the most of where you are right now.

Someone who only does homework when he/she can't avoid it.

Zana

My campus is very eco-friendly and very eco-conscious. There’s definitely a club/extra-curricular for everybody and there’s always an opportunity to serve and give back to the community. Professors are very interested in a student’s success and no professor will ever turn you down if you want to meet and talk with them about anything. also, Emory does a great job of keeping us connected with the outside world by providing shuttles to hot-spots in Atlanta and bringing in high-profile artists to perform at events.

The best thing about Emory is how progressive the university is. Emory does not settle for mediocrity and that’s reflected in almost all aspects of the intuition. Emory wants its students to grow as scholars and as people. It’s willing to listen to student complaints and suggestions and actively changes things to make them better. From the Theater Program to the Chemistry Department, to the Dining Hall, Emory is very concerned with student happiness and making the institution the best it can be and is constantly striving to be a better more well-rounded campus.

First, take a deep breath…matter of fact take a couple. College is astronomically important absolutely, but it’s just one chapter of life. You have a right to mess up and you have a right to change your mind –you’ll do both. Just enjoy and absorb every moment. Don’t worry so much about the illustrious yet frightening Future; no decision you make right now will plummet you into poverty after graduation or immediately solidify you your dream job. So just try to relax and think clearly. Don’t rush or overdo it. The fun events and social activities aren’t going to evaporate if you don’t soak them all up now. Neither will the classes you want/need for your major. You have an obligation to yourself to enjoy this experience. Which means: get out of your comfort zone, take that class that’s full of upperclassmen, get to really know a professor outside of class, find your go-to study spot (which doesn’t have to be the library), eat dinner alone sometimes, figure out what you’re really passionate about, and mostly, focus on the good and enjoy college to the fullest. Good Luck!

Jayde

There are many opportunities that can arise from attending Emory.

There are many opportunities that can arise from attending Emory.

Dear Jayde, Wow, look at you. You're about to graduate from high school, congratulations. I know you may have felt awkward throughout the past four years and looking back on it, you know you've made some pretty crazy decisions, but all is not lost! The best is yet to come for you. College will allow you to blossom in ways you didn't know were possible! You're going to go to a great school and meet people who become the greatest friends. Of course you're nervous right now, but once you get over that transition, you're gonna soar. You'll learn so many things and see so many new things. You'll get to have more graduations than the average college student considering where you chose to go to school! And you'll have your dream of going to nursing school :) You'll continue to work on yourself and nursing school will help you do that. I think you'll find yourself the most there. So don't worry so much! You'll do just fine. You always have :) Love yourself! Sincerely, ME :D

Nancy

Pompous rich kids that give less fortunate students a feeling of absolute inferiority.

The campus is immaculately beautiful all year round.

Cup ramen (or ramyun in the Korean variety) is what I lived on for most of my freshman year in college. I know, I know, junky food like that is typical for college students, even when tasteless and sodium-free meal plans are forced down our throats (at least that was the case for my school). And yet, even though I don't mind eating "fast food in the purest definition", I think my first year would have been much more enjoyable if I knew how to cook. My dorm had a great kitchen, and we had a sustainable garden right down the street. Knowing how to utilize these resources would have made for some more tastier nights.

During my senior year of high school, I wish I had known how to properly treat advice. As I considered myself a very independent person, I insisted on conducting my entire college search by myself in order to assure that the school of my choice would be the right fit down to every detail. This way of selection is not very useful when you are often wrong about what said "details" you need from your school. I graduated from high school quite proud and also anxious for the new college life that awaited. Needless to say, it was nothing like expected. Fearing the difficulty of college that many people reported to me in conversations about my search, I chose a college below my academic levels, while a misunderstanding of the wonders of financial aid pushed me toward a public school for mostly commuters. After a year of ill-fitting classes and no social environment to enjoy on the side, I finally decided to fix my mistake and transfer to the right school for me. As a high school senior, I would simply tell myself "Listen to your guidance counselor!".

The most frustrating thing is trying to "keep up" with most of your peers. Students often manage to balance academics on top of volunteer work and extracurriculars, which may be difficult based on the time requirements of all three. However, this frustration also serves as motivation to work hard yourself.

Behinia

Grab ahold of the concepte that you are fully on your own. Grasp the feeling of exploring and let go of what teachers and parents say. Listen to yourself, but use the tools they have bestowed apon you. Find out your major or calling in life. Research the best school program and what the school cost. Make sure to look into all options. University, Vocational, Community, Institute. After, dive into options In state or out of state and how much the school will coast additional to out of state cost. Do you want hands on or class environments. Then see what your school of choice can offer you as far as programs to help further your education. Also if you have an orientation day, ask as many questions to the people guiding you around the camps. Such as, "Is there a good student to teacher ratio?" and "Is classmate or online help available If I don't understand how to complete a task or a homework site if I miss class?". Make sure to not be too far from home, you still need laundery done, but remain independent and try to do as much while your setting up your future.

Isaac

I believe it is best known for its school of medicine.

I believe it is best known for its school of medicine.

I would tell myself to be more diligent in my efforts in school when I first graduated. I did quite poorly in my first year of college in 2002. I have had to struggle greatly to improve my GPA as I have transferred to several different schools. I would also tell myself to be true to yourself and do what makes you happy.

Persons that are lazy and uncommitted to study

Darrell

During the week, spend a couple hours each day in the library. Even if there isn't work due tomorrow, it can help to do some work every day in a productive setting. Realize that classes are important, but so too are the relationships you will make and the things you will do. Make your college experience one that you will remember fondly. Choose good people to be around and relish your time with some of the closest friends you will ever have.

I feel like professors are very research focused, and aside from the Business school there is less emphasis on practical work experience and more emphasis on academic research. I wish professors would help more to get people jobs in industry instead of steering them towards research/graduate school.

Emory is the perfect size and most professors are very engaging and well known in their field. Emory is just far enough away from a big city, and there are plenty of opportunities here. It is easy to feel involved. Emory has a great reputation and I will be proud to have graduated from Emory.

Jacqueline

Preparing students for the health or business fields

Preparing students for the health or business fields

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself to not have a cow. College is fun and exciting Where I was, all the people were very inviting. I would tell myself to cherish my seniority and final days on top, Because as a freshmen you’re at the bottom of the pot. Go to college with a blank slate, Make those appointments and keep those dates. Be sure to spend time with mom and dad Because you WILL miss them and be sad. Keep focused until the very end, And with friends, make amends. Trust your instincts and your college decision Don’t regret or cut yourself with an incision. Because everything happens for a reason And the reason will reveal itself in season. Also, the college ads for specially priced dorm gear, laundry services, and yearbooks- beware Because once you get here, nobody cares. (And they’re actually not cheaper). Oh yeah, and be wary of cupcakes and heavy meals Because freshmen 15 is real.

It is really pretty and renovated

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.