Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Tom

I tell them about the excellent business program. At number 5, the Undergraduate business program at Goizueta Business School is effieicent, and offers a very structured and practical course.

Do not walk with your head elevated, suspended over a crowd of those you consider lesser than you. Drop your hubris at home and make it a habit to engage with everyone who is a part of the student body, no matter his or her grade level. Having cordial social skills is a requisite to success in university, and if you enter university with your nose in the air and the conviction that you're at the top of the food chain, you will never be a desired member of any student society, lecture or discussion class. Learn to have faith in the qualifications of your teachers; do not get stuck in the mindset that teachers are merely supplements to textbooks, or that more information can be gleaned by reading a paragraph than having a discussion with your teacher. The lecturers at university are there because they have a professed interest in their field, so go to their office during contact hours and engage them in a discussion after class. Admittedly, not all lecturers will connect with the subject that they’re teaching, but regardless, do not make textbooks your sole source of information: seek out knowledge from your professors.

Emory is a place for anybody. Whether you're shy or gregarious, you can find your niche at Emory.

Deidre

The kind of person who should attend this school is is driven to learn more and interact with people of diverse backgrounds. Emory University is known to be academically challenging but rewarding in the knowledge you receive. One thing I love about this school is the ability to interact and make friends with fellow students from all over the country and world, which allows me a diverse worldview into different cultures, practices etc. On top of that, the campus promotes diversity through different religious and ethnic clubs as well as dixtinct performances showcasing many cultures that come together on campus.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not be so stressed out and to enjoy college life. I would have told myself that the friends I will make, things I experience and things I learned will be amazing. I really cant see myself anywhere else!

Sometimes the workload can be frustrating. It really depends on what courses/career path you are pursuing. For someone who is pre med, I have a demanding schedule in the sciences. However, I really feel that after the initial frustration, I have learned a lot to make all the stress worthwhile.

Talia

First and foremost I would tell myself how wonderful I was doing and that none of my work was in vain. My genuine interest in the subjects being taught and the extra work I put into classes all had benefits, even if I could not foresee them at the time. For example, my experience with human anatomy classes had me more prepared for my psychobiology course as a freshman undergraduate than other students in the class. Now, I know my struggles in highschool not only revolved around assignments and tests, but also people. I learned immense patience in the presence of biggotry and hate. I learned kindness and calmness in the face of aggression. I learned independence and self-confidence in the midst of a crowd of teenagers, all trying to figure out who they are. I learned value. All of these things have benefited me tremendously at college; have gotten me through the most stressful weeks with ease—I assure you, final's week is no joke—, have given me a positive mindset in an environment full of negativty, and have given me confidence in the face of doubt.

Emory is an excellent setting for leaders. There are always leadership opportunities available on campus. If you don't consider yourself a leader but still aim to contribute to the community, there are several volunteer events available on campus and throughout the community. As for workload, you have to be ready to deliver on your part. Teachers have very high expectations here which students have an obligation to meet or even surpass.

While I didn't personally find any surprises at school, many of my friends here did have the intial idea that they would be able to go into Atlanta city and explore and check things while at school, but in reality they rarely had time. There's a rich environment around the school, but there are a lot of things happeing in school that will keep you very busy. You must organize your time wisely if you have an intention of often leaving campus.

Hollie

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself, I would tell myself to look at all of the career options out there and to not rush the decision. When I first decided to go back to school in 1998, I chose a major that I believed would get me a job in any office. Looking back, I don't want to say that I was wrong, but I think I should have looked at different options before making that decision. Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser), I have decided to go back and get into the medical field. My goal is to become a surgical tech at a hospital. Originally, I was looking at becoming a radiology tech, but after volunteering at a hospital and learning about other jobs, I was able to job shadow and figure out what exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life. I believe that I will be happy with this decision.

Reem

Most people think of Emory as a sort of "Pre-Med Central." (It's certainly a fantastic place to be if you are pursuing a career in medicine, but the majority of students at the College, at least by junior year, are not pre-med.) Emory's also well known for its myriad research opportunities and strong emphasis on the liberal arts (it's got one of the best Creative Writing programs in the nation!). Finally, it has quite the academic reputation and is sometimes referred to as the 'Harvard of the South.'

Someone who only does homework when he/she can't avoid it.

Most people around you are complaining about how they’re “so over school,” and there’s probably a countdown to the days till graduation on some whiteboard. Of course, you’re looking forward to graduation and excited about college, but when that’s all anyone talks about, it’s easy to let your senior year slip away like grains of sand in your hand. Don’t let that happen. Rather than consume your thoughts with future hopes, focus more on the present—on academics on college/scholarship/financial aid applications, of course, but also on something equally critical. Focus on relationships. You’ll probably never see the students in your classes again; make an effort to get to know them a little more, to laugh with them, even if you don’t like them. Reach out to your teachers. It’s so easy to spend time with teachers in high school--not so in college! Most importantly, don’t forget your family. Even though you’re looking forward to moving out, realize that you will miss home. Do something sweet for your mom. Hang out with your brother. In sum, make the most of where you are right now.

Zana

My campus is very eco-friendly and very eco-conscious. There’s definitely a club/extra-curricular for everybody and there’s always an opportunity to serve and give back to the community. Professors are very interested in a student’s success and no professor will ever turn you down if you want to meet and talk with them about anything. also, Emory does a great job of keeping us connected with the outside world by providing shuttles to hot-spots in Atlanta and bringing in high-profile artists to perform at events.

The best thing about Emory is how progressive the university is. Emory does not settle for mediocrity and that’s reflected in almost all aspects of the intuition. Emory wants its students to grow as scholars and as people. It’s willing to listen to student complaints and suggestions and actively changes things to make them better. From the Theater Program to the Chemistry Department, to the Dining Hall, Emory is very concerned with student happiness and making the institution the best it can be and is constantly striving to be a better more well-rounded campus.

First, take a deep breath…matter of fact take a couple. College is astronomically important absolutely, but it’s just one chapter of life. You have a right to mess up and you have a right to change your mind –you’ll do both. Just enjoy and absorb every moment. Don’t worry so much about the illustrious yet frightening Future; no decision you make right now will plummet you into poverty after graduation or immediately solidify you your dream job. So just try to relax and think clearly. Don’t rush or overdo it. The fun events and social activities aren’t going to evaporate if you don’t soak them all up now. Neither will the classes you want/need for your major. You have an obligation to yourself to enjoy this experience. Which means: get out of your comfort zone, take that class that’s full of upperclassmen, get to really know a professor outside of class, find your go-to study spot (which doesn’t have to be the library), eat dinner alone sometimes, figure out what you’re really passionate about, and mostly, focus on the good and enjoy college to the fullest. Good Luck!

Jayde

Dear Jayde, Wow, look at you. You're about to graduate from high school, congratulations. I know you may have felt awkward throughout the past four years and looking back on it, you know you've made some pretty crazy decisions, but all is not lost! The best is yet to come for you. College will allow you to blossom in ways you didn't know were possible! You're going to go to a great school and meet people who become the greatest friends. Of course you're nervous right now, but once you get over that transition, you're gonna soar. You'll learn so many things and see so many new things. You'll get to have more graduations than the average college student considering where you chose to go to school! And you'll have your dream of going to nursing school :) You'll continue to work on yourself and nursing school will help you do that. I think you'll find yourself the most there. So don't worry so much! You'll do just fine. You always have :) Love yourself! Sincerely, ME :D

There are many opportunities that can arise from attending Emory.

Nancy

Pompous rich kids that give less fortunate students a feeling of absolute inferiority.

The campus is immaculately beautiful all year round.

Cup ramen (or ramyun in the Korean variety) is what I lived on for most of my freshman year in college. I know, I know, junky food like that is typical for college students, even when tasteless and sodium-free meal plans are forced down our throats (at least that was the case for my school). And yet, even though I don't mind eating "fast food in the purest definition", I think my first year would have been much more enjoyable if I knew how to cook. My dorm had a great kitchen, and we had a sustainable garden right down the street. Knowing how to utilize these resources would have made for some more tastier nights.

During my senior year of high school, I wish I had known how to properly treat advice. As I considered myself a very independent person, I insisted on conducting my entire college search by myself in order to assure that the school of my choice would be the right fit down to every detail. This way of selection is not very useful when you are often wrong about what said "details" you need from your school. I graduated from high school quite proud and also anxious for the new college life that awaited. Needless to say, it was nothing like expected. Fearing the difficulty of college that many people reported to me in conversations about my search, I chose a college below my academic levels, while a misunderstanding of the wonders of financial aid pushed me toward a public school for mostly commuters. After a year of ill-fitting classes and no social environment to enjoy on the side, I finally decided to fix my mistake and transfer to the right school for me. As a high school senior, I would simply tell myself "Listen to your guidance counselor!".

The most frustrating thing is trying to "keep up" with most of your peers. Students often manage to balance academics on top of volunteer work and extracurriculars, which may be difficult based on the time requirements of all three. However, this frustration also serves as motivation to work hard yourself.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.