Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

ODez

Anyone who cannot handle academic pressure of any kind should not attend this school. This institution is extremely competitive and the student are constantly competing with one another to be the best.

I believe that the biggest mistake that I made during my first year in college is not taking advantage of the resources that my school offered. Coming from a highschool where I barely had to study to get good grades, I believed that I might be able to do the same thing in college. That was not the case. College is very different from high school and requires so much more work. Even when I thought I was doing everything that I could do, I really wasn't doing enough. I would just advise myself to take advantage of the writing center to help me with my papers, take advantage of the tutors that are available to help all students at pretty much any time, and to take advantage of creating personal relationships with professors by visiting their office hours constantly whether it be to ask questions or to just have a normal conversation with them.

I believe that the most frustrating thing about the school is the difficulty of the classes. Sometimes when you think that you are doing everything you can to do well in a class, it just doesn't pay off. There is so much emphasis on doing well academically at this school.

The opportunies given and the school's beauty makes it unique.

The opportunies given and the school's beauty makes it unique.

I would tell myself to learn how to use an agenda. Writing down homework, activities, and meetings is important in college. It seems easy, but there are more than just 2 homework assignments and 2 meetings to remember. Writing down everything helps you get organized, too. I would also tell myself to be open-minded of people. Some of our best friends in college are people we never would have spoken to in high school. This leads me to think that there are lots of people I’ve lost the opportunity to know. Communication and organization has been the most important changes in my transition to college.

Someone who is lazy or not determined should not come to this school. The school gives contiunous hard work.

Kayliph

Emory University is a place that will challenge you academically, mentally, socially , and physically, but it is well worth the journey.

My classmates are driven individuals who strive to do their best in every arena of life.

Kevin

Emory University is a academiically rigirous school that pays for itself through networking opportunities in fields such as business and media/entertainment

Emory does not have a football team, nor is it Division I school

Every semester matter. It is not smart to try hard for one semester and to lose that motivation for another semester. This idea is very important because your GPA is also a cummulative number that builds off of the previous semester. Thus, there is no time to give half of your full potential. Your time is precious, don't waste it.

Samuel

Know everything about your school before you apply. There are resources available to tell you everything there is to know about the schools to which you are applying. Student surveys and news rankings can help you pick the right school for you. Things to consider include students' relationships with faculty, the availability of academic and psychological support, and the condition of the school library. Most importantly, choose a school that is affordable, because the stresses of financial application can often be very difficult to endure. Your studies in college will undoubtedly be harder than they are high school, but that does not mean your life has to transform dramatically. Pay attention in lectures, take notes, and ask questions when you don't understand. Review what you can before class to avoid cramming. If you budget your time well, retaining the information you learn will become second nature. Finally, no matter what catastrophe you think you're suffering, don't panic.

I wish I had done more research about other schools before applying to Emory. When i read about this school, I assumed every other college would be the same in terms of financial costs as well as campus life.

Elisabeth

Dear HIgh School Me, As you start your journey to adult hood, picking a college may be one of the most important components to your life in the future. My advice to you is to pick a college that has a program best suited for you. One of the most important things to consider when considering when choosing college and a career is to choose something that you are going to love and throw your heart and soul into. Making money is always fun, but if you go to college and put so much time, effort, and money into something you don't enjoy doing, you will not have a fulfilling life. Please pursue your passions, and do what you love. Also, i encourage you to plan ahead, save money, make a budget (and follow it), and apply for as many scholarships as possible! Your life will be much easier if you put time into planning financially for your future. It would be best to try and graduate college with the least amount of debt at possible. If you follow these few pieces of advice, you may very well be secessful after college. Best of luck!

Oluwaposi

Emory University is best known for the many academic opportunities it presents. There is a wide of range of career-related majors and programs. As a result of this educational diversity, there are lots of successful stories related to the careers of many students, in the spectrum of both arts and sciences. The school has an abundance of graduate schools, from that help students further their educational careers, thereby making them more marketable and competent in their fields of specialty. With this striking quality comes an array of reputable, honorable professors, who always bring out the best in each student

People who should not attend the school are those who do not want to work or study hard. If they are not devoted to their education, through thorough and sincere desire and determination to learn then they cannot completely achieve their academic goals and purposes. They should be ready to make education and success their major priority and adhere to the regular formula for great success. They cannot slack and hope they make it but must sacrifice their time, effort, and substance for the sake of pursuing a great academic career. Also it is good to maintain a good attitude.

If I were to rewind back to high school, I would advice myself to always maintain what gives me success. College is about working hard and staying on track and being consistent in one's way of living, whether it pertains to maintaining a good GPA or maintaining a cohesive social connections with friends. When I commit myself to those things that have promoted my happiness, no matter how hard they were, I would receive better results. Presently, I do not approach my college life with the level of effort I should because I get engulfed with situations that catch my interest at a particular moment. Most times I forget the truth that life itself is a journey of prime steadfastness and consistency. So, in essence, I tend to compromise my stands on how I should live. But this cannot work to my advantage because my results would be shortchanged incomplete. It is important to find and keep to the status quo. When one has done such a good job, they say "Keep It Up" for a purposeful reason because they know how hard it is. They understand that one is even more successful when he repeats his good habits

Asha

It is best known for it's research.

It is best known for it's research.

I would have told myself to take more AP courses, because those are what really gives you a headstart in college.

Someone who is not serious about their work shouldn't attend this school.

Eric

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life, which seems to fit most people but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get wasted every night from Wednesday to Sunday, I guess you could do that too. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. I have yet to figure out whether students have their priorities straight. Many pick "joke" classes so they can go out more often. There are not many overachievers here, and if you choose to take 5 classes instead of the typical 4, most will think you are crazy. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and most students are involved in a club or sport. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. It's also really annoying to see how overpriced things can be around here, given how expensive it is to attend here in the first place (even with financial aid for some people). For example, if you lose your Emory card, they charge $25 for the first time. From what I understand, most schools replace cards for free the first time. The Emory bookstore prices are also ridiculous, but that's common for every school. Doing your laundry costs money. Need passport pictures for your business school application? 12 dollars. Need to print something out in color? 1 dollar per page. I wish some of these things were subsidized instead of overpriced. It really makes me wonder what we're paying for. I would also like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) I guess if you're set on studying math, physics, or CS, the only advantages I can think of are small class sizes (personalized attention from profs) and obtainable research opportunities (but not much variety). Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. At first, the student body as a whole didn't seem very open minded or creative. Getting to know people better helped somewhat, but I am still a bit underwhelmed. I know for sure that 99% of students here are very smart and capable and have something going for them. However, many people conceal their nerdy/ quirky side in an effort to be cool like everyone else, and this can get frustrating. My tip is to get to know people well before making conclusions. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. If you seek a very academic-oriented environment, I would say look elsewhere. I recommend visiting the campus during a weekend in the middle of the semester to get a feel for how life is over here. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

The Emory bubble. Very large Jewish population, especially from the northeast. Relatively diverse student body, but a majority of students don't embrace this. Most students not willing to step out of their comfort zones. Sports are not big and school spirit as a result centers around Greek life. Intellectually curious student body, but the majority of students are not intellectuals per-se. Grade inflation. Very pre-professional oriented student body. Expensive. Mediocre job recruiting.

Sherl

I would tell myself that continuing your education after high school open the doors to many opportunities. It also makes you a well rounded person because you learn about how you can serve your communities and the world through what type of degree you acquire. You also have the opportunity to meet and learn from and with people of different ethnic , socio economic, religous, racial, political, and people who may have a different sexual orientation preferences than yours. Education takes you from living in a secular society and introduces you to what it might be like to live in a collective society. It also forces you to stretch the boundaries of your mind by expanding your knowledge of the world. But most importantly of all no one can ever take away what you have learned from you because knowledge is power.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.