Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Neema

Getting into a good college is the easy part, paying for it is a struggle. Never assume that everything will be covered by financial aid, apply for scholarship before, during, and after applying to colleges, and keep doing so in college. If you you have a slight interest in something, go for it, it could become your profession.

Paula

As a high school senior, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted in a college. Despite visiting over 25 universities, I chose to settle for a large university that my parents were happy with and where I knew I could make good grades. I did not have the confidence in my capabilities to apply to "reach" schools. After an unhappy year there, I transferred to a school that I previously thought to be beyond my reach. It turned out to be a perfect fit. Looking back I wish I had taken advantage of more leadership and academic opportunities at my high school to build confidence in my abilities. I am an extremely motivated student now that I am in college, and I wish I had challenged myself to have better study habits in high school. Finally, the best advice anyone ever gave me was to find the school that is the best environment for me to grow as a person no matter the obstacles. My high-school self did not believe they could be overcome those obstacles, but she was wrong.

Students who intend to "float" through college without challenging themselves intellectually should look elsewhere. Emory students are extremely motivated and passionate, and this university is the platform on which they make an impact on the world around them. With an incredibly diverse demographic, each student is constantly challenged to deepen their passions and self-knowledge.

I wish I had taken advantage of more leadership opportunities at my high school. Such experiences are invaluable in college because no matter how insignificant it may seem, they contribute to self-confidence and capabilities in college. Emory is full of passionate individuals and provides endless opportunities to make your ideas heard, so leadership skills are continously being built upon. I also wish that I had not let the cost of tuition deter me from applying there as a freshman because where there is a will there is a way to attend the college that fits you best.

Nkiruka

The best thing about Emory University are the diverse opportunites availiable to students that seek them. Emory University sits amidst Emory's hospital, medical school, public health school, business school, law school, and more. This gives students the ability to have research and internship opportunites in their prospective feilds of study and interests!

A student dedicated to academic success and wants to attend a pre-professional school. Students at Emory usually have a plan and know what they want to do. It is also a great place for science related fields and research. There is alot of support for pre-med and pre-business students. In addition Emory is a very well rounded school, that gives students unique extracurricular opportunities. Come to Emory if you wish to be successful!

Before attending Emory University, I was rather content with myself and my intellectual strengths. I felt like I knew it all and had learned all the tricks of the trade. It is safe to say that college has truly humbled me. What this first semester has taught me is that I must stay confident in myself in order to be successful. Those that succeed, give themselves positive feedback and self-encouragement. This gives them support from within making them encouraged rather than already defeated. With this attitude, I know I will succeed, for I am intelligent and dedicated to my future. Over the course of my first semester, I also learned to give myself space for growth and to understand that the wonderful quality of life is that it is dynamic, and is only truly experienced through constant change and dynamic transformation. College is the unique time in my life to explore and undergo this metamorphosis. While in turn battling the rigorous pre-med academic track, I must remember that I will never get this specially allotted time of self-contemplation, self-reflection, and self-progression. And if I could go back in time I would use every second wisely.

Ian
What's the Greek scene like?

About 1/3 of undergrad students at Emory are in Greek life. The best way to learn about Greek life is to check out the website, http://www.osfl.campuslifetech.org/.

Academics at Emory are very strong. Being one of the top 20 schools in the nation speaks for itself in that students are given an extraordinary education from very highly regarded and renowned professors. Because it is a liberal arts school, Emory offers a wide variety of courses for students to take and majors and/or minors in every single concentration. I came in to Emory with the intention of being a Criminal Psychologist but after sampling other courses and testing the waters in fields I had never even considered before I switched my studies to a dual major in Journalism and Sociology. Being in a school with some of the brightest young minds in the world of course breeds a little bit of competition. But this competition never exceeds appropriate boundaries and pushes everyone to succeed and work harder to better themselves. Because class sizes are smaller, professors will almost always know you buy name after just the first few days of class. This allows for a much more personalized learning experience for each student.

Emory definitely has a few stereotypes. The first is that all kids are Long Island Jews whose mommy's and daddy's pay for everything. This stereotype, like most, has some grain of truth to it but a lot of exaggeration. While there is a high population of students from the northeast, not all are Jewish nor are they all wealthy. There is a strong Jewish population at Emory but it is no stronger than any other religious group. The second most common stereotype would be that most of the students are Asians. Yes, Emory does have a high population of Asian, Indian and other minority students but there is a very good mix and no overwhelming majority of any one race or ethnicity.

Emory has every club available and if they don't have one you can make one. I have seen several clubs start up -student government also provides funding to startups. Emory stresses volunteering on its applications so the majority of the students continue this thread while at school. Volunteer Emory is a large organization that has many service trips that span different charities throughout the year. For students interested in business, Goizueta Investors is the most popular club and connects underclassman with those in the business school. Greek Life dominates 1/3 of the school and provides a social outlet for those who want to be involved. Club tennis and soccer are also played frequently. For those interested in different niches Emory offers everything from culinary cub to salsa club. All of these clubs are a great way to meet new people and learn as well as better adjust to campus.

Academics are challenging at Emory, but by no means overwhelming. The GED's (general education requirements) can be frustrating for students who only want to pursue the classes that fall within their major. However, students may find that they enjoy a poetry or sustainability class -especially as more intense classes such as organic chemistry or financial accounting come their way. What separates Emory from other schools is its wonderful faculty -professors are always open to listen and have won multiple awards. For students pursuing pre-business or pre-med, they can expect to find professors who are well known in their industry. TA's are always available but used quite a bit in larger classes. Graduate students can be a mixed blessing -some take their classes too seriously and others with much less severity. If you put in the effort you will usually get an A. Beware of the business school curve, make sure you spread out prerequisite classes rather than loading them all on yourself at once and you will find a healthy social and academic balance at Emory. Most students study but won't talk about it -don't let yourself be confused! Everyone who puts in the time in usually does well.

The stereotypes are pretty accurate -they exist for a reason. Emory is separately diverse. Students come from all walks of life but tend to stick together based on their ethnicity, religion, region of the country. The majority of students come from the tri-state area. For North East students, its comforting when you realize that the majority of the students have similar values. As Emory is a private school, the majority of the students tend to come from upper class families. 1/3 of the students participate in Greek Life, but harsh standards about partying i.e. 2am party curfews preclude Emory from any intense southern Greek Life that may have been discussed. Many students play club sports, but you won't find a football team at Emory. This isn't a negative aspect by any means; its important, however, to think about the types of students a school attracts to a school who does not have a football team.

Christina

I absolutely LOVE Emory. The best thing about this school is the COMMUNITY. There are so many diverse students on campus, and I am proud to say that I am constantly meeting people on a day to day basis. Emory is big enough where you can meet new people, yet still recognize and know people walking to class everyday and/or in your classes or at a party. Every student at Emory is involved with a group whether it'd be community service (which is quite a big deal here), Greek life, religious life, cultural, interest, etc. There are events on and off campus hosted by Emory students, and I think the fact that Emory students are SO passionate about their clubs and extracurriculars shows how fun the Emory student body is in terms of making their college experience a balanced and fun one. I think the only thing I could complain about Emory is the lack of housing organization. The housing office at Emory is not organized and if you are an upperclassman looking for housing through the school, well, good luck. there is a lot of community at Emory but a lot of the upperclassmen live off campus or at Clairmont so it is a bit harder to hang out with your older friends if you have them and don't have a car. Luckily, I have a lot of upperclassmen friends as a transfer and I spend most of my time on campus, but occasionally off (which is nice sometimes). Atlanta is GREAT. There are tons of things to do and tons of people to do them with at Emory. I love it when people ask me where I go to school because I love Emory and I think more people should apply to it and realize how great a school it is! Because there is no football team, it is hard to have Emory pride, but I think that's even better, because all the Emory students unite over others things besides sports! We unite and have pride for our school community and the uniting thread is that majority of us love Emory and are intellectually driven to succeed here regardless of a football team. I would personally say the only thing unusual about this school is the Dooley mascot, the unofficial skeleton mascot with his troupe. It just seems a bit cultish and creepy to me, but that is just a personal opinion. I LOVE Wonderful Wednesdays here, where all the clubs at Emory come together to promote their club activities and reach out to the student body. It is such a great way to unite the community, blasting loud music on the sunny lawn and just bonding with peers and friends in the middle of the week! Emory is the best place for students who are looking for a great college experience that strives to promote the healthy balanced college life.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The biggest recent controversy on campus is the SAT cheating scandal where an Emory student was charged for taking the SATs for other students, but I am indifferent about this. There isn't a lot of Emory drama on campus because everyone here is pretty chill based on my observations so far... Everything is published in The Emory Wheel, the student run newspaper that comes out twice a week. I personally don't find Emory very politically active, but I could be wrong...

There are a lot of stereotypes, mainly about snobby spoiled rich kids from NYC who come here, in addition to the Ivy League rejects. Yes, you can see a lot of people with Ivy League sweatshirts, but also Emory ones too. A lot of Emory kids end up going to Ivy League grad schools, which I personally find better anyway because college is supposed to be as much fun as possible and the Ivy League is stressful. Emory is a private school so obviously there are rich kids around, and so you bet you will encounter rich kids if you attend any private school. Emory is very diverse and there are a lot of Greeks, but mostly everyone is academically driven. People usually stick to their own, but everyone is generally very nice. There are a lot of Koreans from Korea and Jews from Long Island but they tend to stick to themselves. A LOT of Pre-Professional students (med, law, business, health). There are others too, and there are independents as well. There are a handful of preppy kids, but again, tend to stick to themselves. The best stereotype of Emory I would say would be the nerd who likes to party. Honestly, I don't even think this is bad at all! Everyone at Emory is pretty well rounded and likes to have fun both in and out of the classroom ! Geeks and Greeks!

Preppy and snobby rich kids from Long Island. This is something I did not find detrimental to my experience at Emory, nor did I think a lot of my peers fit this category. Everyone here is pretty nerdy in terms of studying hard, but I would say mostly everyone knows how to have a good time, especially the Greeks. Greek life is pretty big here and I think there are a large percentage of people rushing both as freshman as well as upperclassmen. Also, a lot of the stereotypes reside in Asians being a large population here which is very true, but they tend to stick to themselves. And yes, the stereotype of rich white Jew from Long Island and NYC can be found here, but why does that even matter when Emory is so diverse? There are a good number of each race represented at Emory. You can definitely find groups of people to hang out with any given time, you just have to open minded and willing to meet people. Mostly everyone here is Pre-something, Pre Med, Pre Law, Pre Health and it is true of this stereotype. We work hard, but we play hard too.

Geeks and Greeks. Emory students are students who are highly committed to working hard in school, yet based on the environment, they also know how to have fun. There is SO much to do on campus, and off. I think this stereotype is so accurate if this is is the stereotype of working hard and playing hard. Every weekend I feel that Emory Student Programming Council and all the Multicultural Groups do a really good job with keeping students open to new activities and fun opportunities to mingle with their peers. Also, if you are looking for a party, Greek life is where you'll mostly find it. Greek life is pretty big here, but you can live without it because Emory is big enough where you can find your niche. Just keep an open mind! Atlanta is also a very thriving city with a decent nightlife and entertainment options, based on the student population at Emory, you can enjoy company with a diverse group of students whether on campus or off. Emory is GREAT!!!

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

As an upperclassmen, frat parties aren't always the thing to do, however it just depends on the frat and who you know. Frat parties usually consist of a lot of freshman, but sometimes events are thrown off campus which is a good mix like at the Nest or Maggie's. I personally think Maggie's is way too crowded and not as fun coming from NYC, but if you know a lot of people at Maggie's to chill with it could be fun. The good thing about Atlanta is that there is so many other venues like bars and clubs and lounges to hang out at, that there isn't a problem finding other things to do. However, because atlanta is a driving city, it can be a huge pain to split cab fare with friends especially if all your friends live in different parts of campus. I think another criticism of campus social life is that people are kinda cliquey here and may not be open to meeting new people. It just depends on who you meet and what activities you join. The best part of campus is that you can definitely walk down the street and identify familiar faces, however if you don't like seeing people you know, it's fine too! Emory is big enough where you can see enough people you know, and can easily avoid the ones you want to avoid...just be careful because Emory is not as big as you think. Greek life has its best and bad moments, but I highly recommend rushing just to see if it is for you. I think campus social life is pretty chill and nice here, it just needs better organization as well as more interest in the student body and notifying everyone of really cool events! Greek life is a great way to get involved with organized events, but it depends on the person. Overall, social scene happens on and off campus pretty equally.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

What's great about Emory is that there are so many places to get work done! I would say Cox hall is the best because of its plethora of MAC computers, comfy lounge cushions and chairs, and simulated business executive meeting rooms where students can hold meetings and/or chill out and/or study. There are numerous tables and chairs outside Cox to study as well as booths. Park benches and the never ending lawn on a sunny day is also a good place to study. The library is obviously the best bet---so much room to study, especially the really nice reading room with huge leather couches. But beware during midterm and finals week---you will rarely find space! For the even more studious kind, there are tons of cubbies in the stacks sprinkled everywhere in the library and in Cox Hall. Everything at Emory is pretty modern and modern styled, and very comfortable. Guaranteed you can find a place to get work done.

What are your classes like?

I think Emory's academics are challenging, manageable, and interesting because Emory is a university that strives to promote healthy living for all its students. There is definitely enough work to keep one busy here at Emory, but it is definitely manageable because of the great teaching ability of the professors. The library is open 24 hours during the week, but is closed for a certain time on the weekends! Most of my classes taught extremely well by the professors, so much so that a lot of the interesting facts and lessons of the lecture sticks with me during and after class, leading into class discussions and debates with my peers and friends. I would say class is where intellectual curiosity is birthed and developed further, and that the Emory class environment is always very friendly in addition to academically serious. Learning at Emory has inspired me to research further topics of interest discussed in class, outside of the classroom. Classes range from large lecture hall to small sized seminars with discussion, and I find that majority of Emory classes are well-sized so that each student can voice their opinion, understand the material, and establish meaningful relationships to professors and peers. Emory's classes are great!

What are the most popular classes offered?

Since majority of students at Emory are Pre-Med and/or Pre-Law, a lot of chemistry, biology, neuroscience, business administration/economics, and political science majors dominant the school. For these classes, there are multiple sections and a lot with labs because so many students choose to go down the pre-professional path. Again, health is very important at Emory, and with more liberal arts classes involving anthropological and sociological research, there are a handful of students also taking these classes as well. I would say when it is time to shop for classes, students get really excited by the amount that Emory has to offer, that spots in classes fill up quite fast. However, those classes that are most popular are the required classes for the pre-professional majors, and majority of Emory students fight for the spots pretty aggressively.

Emory's academics are great because of the amazing professors and plethora of academic options. There is enough leeway to change majors and minors, and meet with such an interesting spectrum of highly intellectual leaders in the fields of medicine, art history, english, whatever! My favorite class right now is my Global HIV/AIDS class because it is a tight knit class where discussion is encouraged and I love to comment on the readings and pertinent issues for class discussion. I don't have a least favorite class here because every class I've taken at Emory so far has been highly interesting and well-taught. Students study almost everyday, but enough to get by. Pre-med students study the most here, and a couple of people sleep at the library, but this is only personal preference. I'd say academics at Emory are well balanced and well taught, so there is no need to pull your hair out over the next exam. Just do your work and study on a regular basis. Class participation depends on the class, but it is definitely encouraged for better grades. I love having intellectual conversations with my peers and friends and Emory is a great place for this kind of discussion. The best thing about students here is that they are willing to help each other, and aren't as competitive as other schools. Everyone is very open to studying together and it seems as if competition is mostly with yourself. I personally love to spend time with my professors so I make an effort to see them, and I HIGHLY recommend this because these professors are so interesting and brilliant in their field of study. I learn so much about the school and other things while at office hours or just meeting up for coffee. The school's academic requirements are pretty hefty, but I appreciate how much balance and curiosity they promote with their general education requirements. For the major and minors, it is pretty similar in terms of breadth and depth as well as availability of classes. I think it's so great that students find shopping for classes an exciting time for them each semester. Education here is for both getting a job for your PASSION. Emory's big thing is a healthy lifestyle which is fitting for most of the students here who are Pre-Med and Pre-Health. Everyone at Emory is passionate about something and I think it shows through their activities as well as their student body's motivation to succeed in life while striving to sustain a healthy life.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors at Emory are all brilliant and top leaders in their fields. A lot of the professors here have multiple degrees, mostly Medical Degrees because of Emory's large Pre-Med programs and Pre-Health programs. I have noticed that a lot of my professors have been busy in terms of rescheduling meetings with me because they have other jobs aside from teaching. My Global AIDS professor goes to major conferences and conducts ethnographic research across the U.S. My anthropology professor leaves for medical conferences and meets with leaders in the fields of medicine and health. I think a lot of the professors are usually accessible though, and I think they are one of the most important assets of Emory because they are really good at teaching, are passionate about what they do both inside and outside the classroom, and encourage Emory students to do so as well.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Since Emory has no football team, it seems like no one is really spirited, but I tend to disagree. A lot of people here wear Emory gear, especially sports teams, and Emory is still a D3 school so the athletes do exist. I think because Emory promotes healthy living, a lot of students tend to play on intramural and club sports teams, work out at the great gym facilities, and run/job at Lullwater Park and/or around the campus pathways. Sports in terms of team playing isn't too big here, but during homecoming, the soccer game is attended by quite a lot of students and alum, and you can definitely bet that many students on campus will be involved with some kind of fitness activity!

When you step off campus what do you see?

There's not much off campus, except for Emory Village and a couple of nice suburban houses. Emory Village is pretty much all you see entering from the entrance of Emory. Emory Village is so CUTE though. It has boutiques to cute little restaurants like Doc Chey's Noodle House, Everybody's, Saba pasta, Burgers, Tacos, CVS, Yogli Mogli, Chipotle, and more. Aside from Emory Village, there's a lot of quaint little houses alongside Emory...also what I love about Emory is that it is constantly developing and the Center for Disease Control is so close in addition to Children's Hospital of Atlanta. Next year, Emory is going to get a major influx of businesses as well as luxury apartments for both students and professors and other staff called Emory Point. I'd say mostly off campus is pretty safe because Emory is in the safe part of Atlanta, but when you get into the city, which isn't too far, there's even more to do!

As a transfer, it is sometimes hard to find your niche and get back into the pace of things, but at Emory my friends as well as myself have found the transition to be really smooth and great. Not only that, but you can find people from all different backgrounds and races associating with each other here at Emory. Community is very big here, and the fact that it is so culturally diverse as well also plays a huge role in creating a great, unique campus and college experience. I think the best thing about Emory is its emphasis on community and health, but incorporating and instilling appreciation and acceptance of all students regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation. Emory students are generally pretty friendly and considerate, and dedicated members of community service. You will learn so much from your peers, classmates, and friends here! Everyone seems to be open to meeting and making new friends, and if you are open to others, you will learn and gain so much more in college and in life.

The weather is generally very warm, so don't bring too many bulky sweaters. The food at Cox is way better than the food at the DUC. Printing is not free at Emory. A large amount of people are in Greek life and freshman are not allowed at parties during the first few weeks. Don't swim in the SAE pool. Emory is very diverse, so be prepared to meet people from all different backgrounds. Be open-minded to meeting new people. Don't be afraid to try new things and learn something new from others. JOIN CLUBS to meet new people, as well as talking to people in class. Emory is not as big as one thinks so don't make bad decisions. Be aggressive and independent and don't expect things to happen on their own. You have to be independent and do things yourself. Emory administration isn't that good, but everyone is pretty helpful when asked for help. Use the gym, the study rooms in the stacks, and the cool technology in Cox Hall. There is always something to do, you just have to be alert and find it. Overall, enjoy as much as you can of Freshman year because you'll be graduating sooner than you think. Freshman year is when you meet a lot of friends, but you can always make friends as you get older. Just remember to try things so that when you are ready to declare a major, you are ready. And also, be ready to have the time of your life.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Everyone's first year at Emory is on the required meal plan. For freshman it is unlimited meal swipes, and for upperclassmen, you have the ability to choose which ones you want. The DUC stands for Dobbs University Center which is located at the heart of the campus center. Food is what you will find pretty much at any university, not like home-cooked meals, but there are certain gems that you will find here. There is a typical salad bar, pizza bar, sandwich bar, vegan station, grill, and hot meals. There are options, it just depends on which days the better options come out. I think Emory's dining does a good job in trying to support the balanced, healthy diet. It just gets old after awhile. My favorite meal at the Duc is on the weekends because the omelette station is open. Everyone chooses to get Dooley Dollars which act as monetary dollars that can work at on campus dining venues like Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, Boar's Head, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Chinese food, Einstein's Bagels, etc. These are the best because they allow flexibility into your schedule and the food tastes better at these venues. If you REALLY cannot stand the dining options, you can always call delivery from local asian fusion restaurants and other places, in addition to heading over to Emory Village to dine in a chill atmosphere like Doc Chey's Noodle House, Saba, Everybody's, Panera Bread, etc. There is also a Publix really close by where you can drive (if you have a car) to pick up some fresh groceries and cook for yourself! I definitely think it is good to have variety and Emory does a pretty good job of it, but it is honestly up to you where you want to eat and what, because there are PLENTY of options.

Describe the dorms.

Everyone at Emory pretty much lives in a great dorm. There is heat, air conditioning, well furnished lounges with tables, chairs, and some with flat screens. Long Street Means is the best dorm for freshman, with leather couches and a fireplace near the entrance, Mac computers for use, and spacious closet space and rooms. Emory really prides itself in its living options, and the worst dorm right now called Trimble is being knocked down and made anew for better dorms. Emory University living is highly respected and for upperclassmen, there is the opportunity to live at Clairmont, which is designed as a country club. Clairmont has its own gym, outdoor swimming pool, and tennis courts privately owned by the university for all the residents and student use. The apartments at Clairmont are styled as mini-townhouse apartments, with a living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, and 2-3 bedrooms with approximately 2 bathrooms. If you decide to come to Emory, you will not be disappointed! If you choose to go Greek, you have the option of living at the sorority lodges on campus, and/or the fraternity houses which look like mini-mansions. A lot of the frat houses have parlors with game rooms, in addition to porches with grills, and one fraternity even has an outdoor pool! I think the dorms at Emory are more like luxury apartment/house styled living once you get past freshman year. A lot of upperclassmen also tend to live off campus in apartment complexes and/or nearby houses.

Beautiful shiny marbled buildings that gleam in the sunlight, well kept green grass with lounging students, and a brick pathway that extends around campus for students to bike, walk, skateboard, job on....on Emory's campus, students are always smiling, the sun seems to always be shining, and the amazing italian architecture styled buildings seem to add an elegant touch to campus. The buildings are very modern and simple, with the state of the art computer systems. Cox Hall has a clock tower which represents the central area of campus, and with the Dooley mascot floating around in statue and in form, there is definitely an amusement park vibe. The greenery and flowers are so beautiful and everything is well kept. Emory is definitely a modern campus, yet hints of old antiquity here and there can be seen as well. I also love how many students lounge around campus on the benches or the lawn, the steps or the grass, and just read and relax with friends!

What's the Greek scene like?

If you walk around campus, you will see girls with sorority lettered bags, and frat guys with fraternity lettered tee shirts. Greek scene is pretty big here, dominating around 30% of the student body and heavily increasing in numbers. However, it is not everything, but in terms of organized social functions and events, Greek life is pretty much the place to be. There are around 7 mainstream sororities and 10 mainstream fraternities who throw a good amount of date parties, mixers, and themed open parties. There are also multicultural sororities and a honors fraternity and co-ed business and service fraternities that you can be a part of. However, the mainstream Greeks dominate the scene and have houses and lodges, but Greek life isn't for everyone so you don't have to rush if you don't want to. There is such a large enough student population that joining a Greek organization isn't the only thing to do, however it is a great way to meet people and make great college memories!

What's the dating scene like?

Emory is big on Greek life so there are a lot of hook ups since Greek parties are thrown almost every weekend. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. There are definitely couples on campus, holding hands, kissing each other before class, etc. Pretty standard and regardless of anything, people of the opposite sex just usually hang out all the time. Sometimes hooking up ends up happening, but it goes for here as any other school. Most hookups occur as freshman throughout to about junior year. This is college...relationships or hookups may or may not happen. Around the end of college, people start getting more serious I think about relationships, but some people never grow tired of it. It just depends on who you meet!

I think almost everyone on campus is involved with either a community service initiative or a part of Greek life, or in both. There are a bunch of multicultural organizations, but they tend to stick together moreso than the other members of community service and greek life who seem to branch out more to others. I am involved with numerous global health organizations since health is a big part of Emory's curriculum. Students are involved with the Atlanta community as a part of Volunteer Emory or other service organizations. Athletic events aren't really big here, but I think artistic student groups are pretty fun and well attended. A lot of alums attend the soccer games, but other than that, I am not sure about the other sports. The dating scene usually starts as an upperclassmen, but the hook up culture is definitely prevalent. A lot of the activities for students in their free time involve playing sports, going to frat parties, and checking out local clubs/bars in the Atlanta area. Traditions like Wonderful Wednesday, Homecoming parade, concerts on campus, and alumni day, etc. all help to bring the Emory community together. People here know how to prioritize and so a lot of studying occurs before a lot of partying. I think there's almost as much studying as there is partying, which is a lot, but I think students know what is more important. I think Greek life is a big thing here, but it is actually okay to not be a part of since it isn't the only thing you can do. There are so many students not involved in Greek life but also know how to have a good time. However, if you are looking for a socially organized schedule of events and you spend a lot of time at the frats, you should rush. Dance, acapella, and cultural performances can also be found around campus, just be on the lookout because these are hidden gems!

Describe a typical weekend.

Since Greek life is so big here, you will definitely experience at least one Hall Crawl or a themed frat party if you attend Emory. Whether you are in Greek life or not, there are so many frats especially with such nice houses, that you are bound to step into a party. But the good thing about Emory is that there are other options since you are near a city. Atlanta has tons of bars, lounges and clubs, but you have to be of age, however, usually clubs have special 18+ nights. Maggie's is a huge hot spot for people, especially since it is so easy to get into and everyone ends up there by the end of every Friday night, so you are bound to know someone to hang out with and/or chill with. A typical weekend for someone who parties would go like.... Frat party hall crawl on Thursday Date party with a frat or sorority on Friday, and then end up at Maggie's workout at the gym, attend meetings and/or community service events, then attend Themed frat party on Saturday Sunday- WORK ALL DAY IN THE LIBRARY! For those who aren't big on Greek life, you can find other things to do like attend a concert, a theatrical show, visit historical sites, attend an Atlanta sports game, go to a museum, play sports with friends or watch a movie with friends. Pretty standard options. But Emory does a good job of uniting the community together with cultural events and big music names like Big Boi and Kid Cudi concerts ON campus! A lot of student groups put on a collaborative event for the greater university so be sure to check them out and be on the lookout for them if you come here!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

After researching and reading about Emory, I was sure this was the right school for me. Based on the short essay, "Emory University prides itself on the size, location, reputation, and the weather", and I think Emory definitely meets its standards in all of these areas, but most importantly I think Emory takes so much pride in its community service and civic engagement that I knew this was the right school for me. Community is so important at Emory, and there is always something to do on campus as well as off. After one semester at Emory, I am still in love with how much community this school shares; religious, cultural, service, and Greek. There is always something to be a part of, and if something doesn't work out, you can try something else. It depends on YOU though. Emory does not baby you, and should not. I wanted a school where a large community is emphasized, as well as room for independence and Emory has all of this, amongst other great accolades.

What do students complain about most?

The Duc food is not the best type of food around, but most of what i hear are people complaining about is the way the food is prepared and the type of unhealthy food selection that is offered. Also, the weather is something that bothers a lot of people because it sometimes rains randomly and in the summer it gets ridiculously hot. For academics, I would say there isn't enough organization between the administration and there needs to be a better system for organizing students and directing them in their specific major and minors. Emory students are very independent and self- motivated so it doesn't really hurt them, but there should still be more organization regardless. Also, the thing that bothers me the most is the incredulous lack of organization with housing! The system is not very structured where students are guaranteed housing who need it once you are an upperclassmen. Lastly, the distance between the health center, counseling service, and other student care centers are pretty distant from certain parts of campus and may be far for some. Overall, Emory is pretty great, but I would say there are definite loopholes of the system and needs to be better organized for students to be fairly guaranteed what tuition covers.

As someone who is friends with all types of people, I found it even easier to make friends at Emory for this reason. Everyone here is different in some way, whether itd be interest or race, and I think the campus groups show how diverse Emory is. I recently attended an Indian Cultural Exchange event at the Omni Hotel, where Indian culture was celebrated throughout the night through food, dance, song, etc. A lot of my friends are from Southeast Asian and I love the fact that I had the experience to partake in their culture. There are multiple other groups on campus too that host events promoting their culture and background which I find highly important to experience in college. Everyone should have an open mind when meeting different people, because you can always learn from something new. Most students do not feel out of place at Emory because everyone is so friendly and there is so much to do, I can't imagine someone not being able to fit somewhere! Most students wear gym clothes to class because of the weather in addition to going to the gym in between classes. Working out and exercise is a big thing for Emory students, almost as big as academics. I would say this is another factor of Emory students' attractiveness, they not only like to work hard in the classroom, but also work out at the AWESOME gym that Emory offers. Most students who come to Emory are from New York state and/or somewhere in Georgia. There are also a great number of International students from Korea as elsewhere. I'd say most people here at Emory are from wealthy upper middle class families, but there are a bunch of people from everywhere on the financial spectrum. I think students here talk about politics quite a lot, but not in overwhelming amounts that start activism. I think Emory students' big thing that unites them together is community service, because I think a lot of the students here pursue careers in the preprofessional disciplines to help others, and just that in itself is enough to unite a great student body.

I won't speak for Everyone but I know that I love Emory. It might seem to be on the small size but I didn't want to go to a huge school where I would've felt like just a number. Also, I love that Emory is in a real city (Atlanta) and not a "college town." There's always tons to do. Finally, we are one the most culturally diverse schools in the country!

As I said, Emory students are very diverse. Students come from the East Coast, the West Coast, place in between and even from overseas. I think everyone can "find a place" here and the stereotype that we are institution of rich brats is entirely untrue. My family is by no means rich and a lot of kids have jobs on or off campus. Politically, most students tend to lean toward the left but if you're a conservative, you could probably find someone with views like yours if you looked. My roommate, for example, is politically more conservative.

The student group that I am most involved with is the newspaper, The Emory Wheel. It is a great group of people for working with and for just hanging out with. I am not involved with Greek life directly but thee sororities and fraternities do have a pretty large presence on our campus. Even if you are not Greek, you can attend most of the frat parties and mixers. The brothers and sisters are very open to hanging out with non-Greeks. My two favorite student activities are Dooley's Week and SongFest. Dooley's Week is an annual celebration in the spring that honors our unofficial mascot named Dooley. The week involves lots of free food, usually a stand up comedian and of course a few concerts and its all for free. SongFest is something that you go through only once at the beginning of your freshmen year. You and your dorm sing and dance in the Woodruff PE Center (aka the WoodPEC), competing against the other dorms.

Emory has a lot of "general ed" requirements compared to other places because one of their goals is to offer a well-rounded liberal arts education. Even PE credits (something you thought you'd be done with after high school) are required. I think this is a good thing but if you already know what you want to do, you may not want to be stuck taking so many general ed classes. I will say that within the requirements there is a lot of freedom. For example, with PE credits, you can join a club sport and have that count towards your PE. They also offer fun classes like white water rafting and rock climbing for PE. I'm an English and Spanish major and my classes are usually pretty small. My professors almost always know everyone in the class and will meet for one on one discussions about class. I don't do an ungodly amount of studying; however, I do write a lot of papers.

One HUGE stereotype about Emory kids is that we're spoiled or we come from rich families. This is not true at all. There are kids from all different kinds of families and Emory offers tons of need based and merit based financial aid.

Lindsey

Emory is a small, private school with about 7500 undergrads, which makes it easy for students to get to know at least half if not more of their own class. When I tell people I go to Emory, half of them say they have never heard of it, and the other half is usually impressed and comments on how smart I must be to go to a school like Emory. Emory is unique in that it has its own version of school spirit. Many people accuse Emory of lacking in school spirit because we're not a sports school, and they're right. We compete in the NCAA division III level and there is no amazing team we can rally around. Most students are apathetic to sporting events on campus unless they have specific ties or their friends are on a sports team. Emory's school spirit mostly comes from the smaller group of students who are involved on campus and participate in many extracurricular activities. Aside from our official mascot, the Emory Eagle, we also have an unofficial and unusual mascot named Lord James W. Dooley, a mischievous skeleton who roams around campus throughout the school year. The traditional is unique to Emory and is the source of much of Emory's school spirit. Dooley dates back to the early 1900s when he first appeared in a school publication. Since then, he's come to life on campus each year through an anonymous student who dresses up as him. He also has a spirit week dedicated to him in the spring semester called Dooley's Week, where he lets out students from their classes if they write a clever limerick to him. Emory has had quite a lot of big name artists perform on campus, including Wiz Khalifa, B.O.B., Girl Talk, Third Eye Blind, T.I., One Republic and Big Boi since I've been at Emory. We've also had comedians, like Daniel Tosh, Tracy Morgan and Kevin Nealon, come to campus, all through the planning of the Student Programming Council. Third Eye Blind is my favorite band of all time, so getting to see them live and front row for FREE at Emory was probably the best experience I've had up to date at this school. Emory delivers in terms of offering the most and best out of your student activity fee. The most populated spots on campus are the Dobbs University Center, or the DUC, where the main dining hall is located and where most student organizations meet; Cox Hall, the main food court, ballroom space and computer lab; and the library, which is more of a social scene than a study space save for those designated quiet area. I spend most of my time in the DUC or Cox. As an involved student, I'm at the DUC at least once a day, and for lunch or a place to study in between classes, I go to Cox. The most recent and biggest controversy on campus in my three and a half years occurred last spring when seven students, who call themselves the Emory 7, were arrested after occupying the quad in front of the administration building for several days to protest Emory support of our food company, Sodexo, whom they claim have human rights abuses. There was local coverage and widespread gossip about the event to which the Emory's president, James Wagner, responded saying that those seven students were misinformed. Most other students heard or read about the matter and either didn't care or thought that these students were protesting for the sake of protesting or influenced by the same kind of protests on different college campuses. In the end, the commotion died down and the administration handled it well. Regarding administration, that's one area I feel where Emory gets to strict on its students, especially in the area of student enjoyment. Emory administrators seem to be tough on Greek life and on campus programming, but many student leaders have forged relationships with administrators to reach compromise between both viewpoints.

Emory places a huge emphasis on being a liberal arts school, but at the same time, a large number of students are in the business school, are pre-med or pre-law. Generally class size varies depending on your major and what level of class you're taking. Introductory classes like all the 101's, are lecture size with 60-120 students. Smaller seminar classes can have as little at 5 students or 15. I'm a journalism and Spanish major, both of which are small programs compared to other majors. I know all my professors personally and they greet me by my name outside of class. I frequent their office hours from time to time. My class-size has usually ranged from 10-20 students throughout my four years at Emory. My favorite class has been my News Video class in the journalism program because I learned how to shoot video, write news packages and edit it all together using professional software for broadcast, which is what I'd like to pursue after I graduate. My least favorite class has been Political Science Methods, a statistics class for poli sci majors. I took it before I switched my second major from political science to Spanish and I absolutely hated it. Generally, students participate a lot in class and class participation is usually required in most class syllabi. Most students also study a lot and have high GPA's. Emory students are quite competitive in that way. Emory's academic requirements are pretty well-rounded and allow students to take advantage of the wide variety of classes offered to them, like the history of jazz or the Harry Potter class in the American Studies department, which is new next semester and satisfies a writing requirement. Whether Emory is geared toward getting its students jobs or learning for the sake of learning, I think it depends on the major you choose. Business school students are all about getting jobs and being successful when they graduate, but the more liberal arts departments, like the Spanish or philosophy department, is concerned with gaining knowledge and inspiring thought for its own sake.

The most popular student groups, activities and teams on campus are Greek life, the Student Programming Council, College Council, Wonderful Wednesdays, No Strings Attached a cappella group, the Indian Cultural Exchange, Korean Undergraduate Student Association, the mens' soccer, baseball and basketball teams, Karma Bhangra dance group, and AHANA dance group. I've been a part of the Student Programming Council since I was a freshman, and now as a senior, I'm the president. SPC, as we're known, is responsible for planning all the university-wide student events, including concerts, comedians, carnivals, field days, trivia nights, etc. In the past we've brought artists, such as Big Boi, Wiz Khalifa, NERD, Third Eye Blind, Matt and Kim, One Republic, Girl Talk, Super Mash Bros, B.O.B. and T.I. We also give out the most free t-shirts and food to students throughout the year. We plan the biggest events on campus, like Homecoming Week and Dooley's Week, dedicated to our unofficial skeleton mascot. These weeklong events usually include a couple of concerts and a comedian. Being a member has been one of the best and most fun experiences I've had at Emory. Student government groups, like the College Council and the Student Government Association, bring educational speakers like Soledad O'Brien, Spike Lee and Cornell West. Athletic events don't get too much of a show at Emory. Few students usually attend sporting events, but the most popular among them are the men's soccer, baseball and basketball games. Dance, theater and cultural groups are also a big source of Emory student activities. There are at least two dance shows per semester, as well as at least two theater productions per semester. Tickets usually sell out quickly so students buy them in advance. Emory also has a really great student activity called Wonderful Wednesdays where student groups gather in the center of campus at Asbury Circle every Wednesday for a few hours to publicize future events, promote their clubs or just to hang out. There's usually free food and there's always music playing. The tradition stemmed from the 1970s when the then president of Emory cancelled Wednesday classes in hopes that a mid-week break would encourage students to study more. Classes were reinstated some time later and Wonderful Wednesdays came back in 2005, thanks to the work of a secret society, as the weekly club gathering it is today. It's almost impossible to avoid stopping and hanging out for a while at WW. Social life at Emory gets a bad reputation because we're known as a smart school, but most students generally go out every weekend. Students in Greek life tend to party and go out the most about 3-4 nights a week to frat parties or local bars. Students who aren't in Greek life often go to house parties or local bar areas around Atlanta. There's a lot to do in Atlanta and on campus if you're not Greek. To show a little bit of that variety, last weekend I went to a Christmas-themed frat party one night and the next night I went to a small, local bar that encourages its patrons to play board games while they drink. Tuesday and Thursday nights are also really big going out nights at Emory. There are fewer weekend activities on campus that don't involve drinking than those activities that do, but there is a lot of university-sponsored late night programming on Friday and Saturday nights, like karaoke, food fairs and movie nights in our cinema. Students can also go off campus through our shuttle programs to museums, parks, malls or the aquarium, which is really popular in Atlanta. Greek life is quite big at Emory, more than most people who don't go to Emory think, but it's not as big as it would be in a state school for example. I have as many friends in Greek life as I do outside of Greek life. Most of my current close friends lived in my hall freshman year but I've also met many more close friends through my sorority and through Greek life. In the residence halls, it seems that most students in older dorms leave their doors open more than students who live in the newer dorms that have been built throughout the last four years. In any case, it's really easy to meet people at Emory, whether it be through your residence hall, Greek life, student clubs or through mutual friends.

Emory has the reputation of having a lot of international students, especially from Asia and India. These students get the stereotype of nerdy kids who are pre-med or business majors and spend most, if not all, of their time studying or playing video games. Emory has the stereotype of being very Jewish or having many Jewish students and that holds true. Emory students are almost a third Jewish and like to show it off. There are may student-run groups that cater to Jews, as well as Emory Hillel and Emory Chabad that host religious and cultural events for Jewish students. Non-Jewish students are welcome to these groups and events. Many of my close friends are Jewish and I've even been to a chabat dinner, which was delicious. Emory also has a pretty big focus on Greek life, which is where most of the involved students come from. Sorority girls can be labeled promiscuous, but at the same time they study hard and have great GPAs. Similarly, there are plenty of stereotypical frat guys who hit on girls and drink heavily but they also have great grades and focus on their studies. Emory generally has the stereotype that its students are intelligent and choose studying over partying, but in reality, they do both. Most students do however take their studies seriously here, which is one of the things that makes Emory a top 20 university.

Julie

Greek life is definitely a prominent aspect of Emory's social life. There are constantly parties on frat row, date parties on the weekend and mixers throughout the year. Letter shirts and bags are a large part of students wardrobe and Rush in the Spring is a very big deal. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and I have met some of my closest friends since joining as well as enjoyed some of my best moments from the parties. Many students want to be a part of Greek life here, many students become a part of it and many students make it their entire lives. BUT, Greek life at Emory is what you make of it. Yes, it can define who you are during your four years here and yes, it can determine your entire social life but only if you want it to. Given most Emory students are involved in so many other activities, Greek life is not the biggest part of people's lives at this school. Many students like myself, use it as a social outlet only but become involved in many other things on campus. Unlike many other schools, the sorority or fraternity you join does not dictate your friend group. Emory students have friends from all greek affiliations and other organizations on campus. And if you don't want to go Greek, don't worry about it, thats great too. You do not have to be in Greek life to have a social life at Emory at all. There are so many social outlets and so many other student groups and types of people here that it doesn't even matter. Not to mention, students rush in the Spring which gives you ample time to develop a group of friends and get involved before Greek life even starts. So if you want to join a sorority or fraternity, you will have an amazing time. If you don't think its for you, I promise you will still have an incredible experience at Emory.

The average Emory student definitely comes from a wealthy background and tends to be from the Northeast. But Emory also has students that come from all over the country (I'm from Portland, Oregon and no, we do not drive around in buggies) and all over the world. Emory is home to a much more diverse student body than I had expected coming into this school. I have friends from all over the world including England, Cuba, Thailand and Bulgaria. The foreign students tend to be some of the most wealthy but they also tend to be some of the brightest. In addition to being diverse, the emory student body is very very very smart. Emory was a reach school for me academically and I was thrilled when I got in. In High School I considered myself to be a motivated, intelligent and capable person and while I still view myself in that light, I am now more aware of how many other people (6000 I believe is the size of Emory currently) share those same qualities at this school. Emory may not be an Ivy League but I doubt there is another school with students as driven to succeed as they are here. While this factor can be intimidating at first, it ultimately contributes to a campus experience rife with energy, creativity and filled with great conversations.

As an English major I have had a different experience than many of my friends who I call "the science kids" at Emory. Unlike them, the largest class I have attended at Emory has been comprised of 40 students. In fact, the majority of my classes have ranged anywhere from 18 students to 6 (in a 6 person class you MUST always do the reading! Don't find that out the hard way like I did). The small class sizes at Emory has not only given me the opportunity to get to know the other students in the class and engage in the material, but establish a close relationship with my professors as well. The Emory English department caters itself to students who enjoy participating, love discussion based classes and who want to be challenged in a creative and intellectual environment. English professors will not only know your name, but wave to you on campus and if your lucky, invite you to dinner at their house. Like any major at Emory, the English major is competitive but manageable. The class material is often difficult but so intriguing that you can't help but learn it and enjoy writing the papers. You will of course, come across the occasional English teacher who does not "believe in A's" and who only allows you to read books authored by them. As ridiculous as that sounds, it does happen, trust me. However, not to worry, these teachers are usually easy to spot from a mile away. And luckily, the majority of teachers in the department are engaging, passionate and genuinely care about the success of their students.

Zachary

I would say that the stereotype of students at Emory is not all that flattering. Because it is a higher level university, we are often perceived as pretentious or pompous by the surrounding Atlanta community. The school has a very large white population as well as a vast Jewish population and that image has come to be associated with the stereotypical Emory student. Furthermore, because so many Emory students grew up in the northeast, the "Jewish New Yorker" has become a staple of the Emory student body. A lot of the girls are referred to as "jappy" and high maintenance, more concerned with their blackberries than with their classes, and the guys are considered "preppy," clad in their V-neck tee shirts and skinny jeans. It's when you delve into the Greek scene that the stereotypes really become more oppressive. There are the jock frats, the geeky ones, the Jewish ones, etc. Meanwhile there are the "jappy" sororities, the promiscuous ones, the over-achieving ones, etc. Personally, I think Emory is more diverse than people give us credit for. I have friends of all races and backgrounds and don't think it is all the difficult to find students with similar interests, no matter what it is you may enjoy. The "New York Jew" is certainly a stereotype that exists, but not one that dominates the campus. The Greek stereotypes also prescribe far too limited of an outlook in my opinion. While there are certainly people that fall into the cliche of their fraternity or sorority, I think that these stereotypes make it excusable to judge a person based on their Greek affiliation without even knowing them. I am a member of a fraternity considered by most to be "jocks," but those who know us know that we are much more diverse than that. Still, people will always pass judgments based on preconceived notions and stereotypes, that's just a part of human nature. Overall though, I like to believe that the average Emory student is well-educated enough to be above such discrimination and judge people as individuals rather than groups.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.