Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Oluwaposi

Emory University is best known for the many academic opportunities it presents. There is a wide of range of career-related majors and programs. As a result of this educational diversity, there are lots of successful stories related to the careers of many students, in the spectrum of both arts and sciences. The school has an abundance of graduate schools, from that help students further their educational careers, thereby making them more marketable and competent in their fields of specialty. With this striking quality comes an array of reputable, honorable professors, who always bring out the best in each student

If I were to rewind back to high school, I would advice myself to always maintain what gives me success. College is about working hard and staying on track and being consistent in one's way of living, whether it pertains to maintaining a good GPA or maintaining a cohesive social connections with friends. When I commit myself to those things that have promoted my happiness, no matter how hard they were, I would receive better results. Presently, I do not approach my college life with the level of effort I should because I get engulfed with situations that catch my interest at a particular moment. Most times I forget the truth that life itself is a journey of prime steadfastness and consistency. So, in essence, I tend to compromise my stands on how I should live. But this cannot work to my advantage because my results would be shortchanged incomplete. It is important to find and keep to the status quo. When one has done such a good job, they say "Keep It Up" for a purposeful reason because they know how hard it is. They understand that one is even more successful when he repeats his good habits

People who should not attend the school are those who do not want to work or study hard. If they are not devoted to their education, through thorough and sincere desire and determination to learn then they cannot completely achieve their academic goals and purposes. They should be ready to make education and success their major priority and adhere to the regular formula for great success. They cannot slack and hope they make it but must sacrifice their time, effort, and substance for the sake of pursuing a great academic career. Also it is good to maintain a good attitude.

Asha

It is best known for it's research.

It is best known for it's research.

I would have told myself to take more AP courses, because those are what really gives you a headstart in college.

Someone who is not serious about their work shouldn't attend this school.

Eric

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life, which seems to fit most people but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get wasted every night from Wednesday to Sunday, I guess you could do that too. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. I have yet to figure out whether students have their priorities straight. Many pick "joke" classes so they can go out more often. There are not many overachievers here, and if you choose to take 5 classes instead of the typical 4, most will think you are crazy. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and most students are involved in a club or sport. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. It's also really annoying to see how overpriced things can be around here, given how expensive it is to attend here in the first place (even with financial aid for some people). For example, if you lose your Emory card, they charge $25 for the first time. From what I understand, most schools replace cards for free the first time. The Emory bookstore prices are also ridiculous, but that's common for every school. Doing your laundry costs money. Need passport pictures for your business school application? 12 dollars. Need to print something out in color? 1 dollar per page. I wish some of these things were subsidized instead of overpriced. It really makes me wonder what we're paying for. I would also like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) I guess if you're set on studying math, physics, or CS, the only advantages I can think of are small class sizes (personalized attention from profs) and obtainable research opportunities (but not much variety). Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. At first, the student body as a whole didn't seem very open minded or creative. Getting to know people better helped somewhat, but I am still a bit underwhelmed. I know for sure that 99% of students here are very smart and capable and have something going for them. However, many people conceal their nerdy/ quirky side in an effort to be cool like everyone else, and this can get frustrating. My tip is to get to know people well before making conclusions. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. If you seek a very academic-oriented environment, I would say look elsewhere. I recommend visiting the campus during a weekend in the middle of the semester to get a feel for how life is over here. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

The Emory bubble. Very large Jewish population, especially from the northeast. Relatively diverse student body, but a majority of students don't embrace this. Most students not willing to step out of their comfort zones. Sports are not big and school spirit as a result centers around Greek life. Intellectually curious student body, but the majority of students are not intellectuals per-se. Grade inflation. Very pre-professional oriented student body. Expensive. Mediocre job recruiting.

Sherl

I would tell myself that continuing your education after high school open the doors to many opportunities. It also makes you a well rounded person because you learn about how you can serve your communities and the world through what type of degree you acquire. You also have the opportunity to meet and learn from and with people of different ethnic , socio economic, religous, racial, political, and people who may have a different sexual orientation preferences than yours. Education takes you from living in a secular society and introduces you to what it might be like to live in a collective society. It also forces you to stretch the boundaries of your mind by expanding your knowledge of the world. But most importantly of all no one can ever take away what you have learned from you because knowledge is power.

Neema

Getting into a good college is the easy part, paying for it is a struggle. Never assume that everything will be covered by financial aid, apply for scholarship before, during, and after applying to colleges, and keep doing so in college. If you you have a slight interest in something, go for it, it could become your profession.

Paula

Students who intend to "float" through college without challenging themselves intellectually should look elsewhere. Emory students are extremely motivated and passionate, and this university is the platform on which they make an impact on the world around them. With an incredibly diverse demographic, each student is constantly challenged to deepen their passions and self-knowledge.

I wish I had taken advantage of more leadership opportunities at my high school. Such experiences are invaluable in college because no matter how insignificant it may seem, they contribute to self-confidence and capabilities in college. Emory is full of passionate individuals and provides endless opportunities to make your ideas heard, so leadership skills are continously being built upon. I also wish that I had not let the cost of tuition deter me from applying there as a freshman because where there is a will there is a way to attend the college that fits you best.

As a high school senior, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted in a college. Despite visiting over 25 universities, I chose to settle for a large university that my parents were happy with and where I knew I could make good grades. I did not have the confidence in my capabilities to apply to "reach" schools. After an unhappy year there, I transferred to a school that I previously thought to be beyond my reach. It turned out to be a perfect fit. Looking back I wish I had taken advantage of more leadership and academic opportunities at my high school to build confidence in my abilities. I am an extremely motivated student now that I am in college, and I wish I had challenged myself to have better study habits in high school. Finally, the best advice anyone ever gave me was to find the school that is the best environment for me to grow as a person no matter the obstacles. My high-school self did not believe they could be overcome those obstacles, but she was wrong.

Nkiruka

Before attending Emory University, I was rather content with myself and my intellectual strengths. I felt like I knew it all and had learned all the tricks of the trade. It is safe to say that college has truly humbled me. What this first semester has taught me is that I must stay confident in myself in order to be successful. Those that succeed, give themselves positive feedback and self-encouragement. This gives them support from within making them encouraged rather than already defeated. With this attitude, I know I will succeed, for I am intelligent and dedicated to my future. Over the course of my first semester, I also learned to give myself space for growth and to understand that the wonderful quality of life is that it is dynamic, and is only truly experienced through constant change and dynamic transformation. College is the unique time in my life to explore and undergo this metamorphosis. While in turn battling the rigorous pre-med academic track, I must remember that I will never get this specially allotted time of self-contemplation, self-reflection, and self-progression. And if I could go back in time I would use every second wisely.

The best thing about Emory University are the diverse opportunites availiable to students that seek them. Emory University sits amidst Emory's hospital, medical school, public health school, business school, law school, and more. This gives students the ability to have research and internship opportunites in their prospective feilds of study and interests!

A student dedicated to academic success and wants to attend a pre-professional school. Students at Emory usually have a plan and know what they want to do. It is also a great place for science related fields and research. There is alot of support for pre-med and pre-business students. In addition Emory is a very well rounded school, that gives students unique extracurricular opportunities. Come to Emory if you wish to be successful!

Ian
What's the Greek scene like?

About 1/3 of undergrad students at Emory are in Greek life. The best way to learn about Greek life is to check out the website, http://www.osfl.campuslifetech.org/.

Academics at Emory are very strong. Being one of the top 20 schools in the nation speaks for itself in that students are given an extraordinary education from very highly regarded and renowned professors. Because it is a liberal arts school, Emory offers a wide variety of courses for students to take and majors and/or minors in every single concentration. I came in to Emory with the intention of being a Criminal Psychologist but after sampling other courses and testing the waters in fields I had never even considered before I switched my studies to a dual major in Journalism and Sociology. Being in a school with some of the brightest young minds in the world of course breeds a little bit of competition. But this competition never exceeds appropriate boundaries and pushes everyone to succeed and work harder to better themselves. Because class sizes are smaller, professors will almost always know you buy name after just the first few days of class. This allows for a much more personalized learning experience for each student.

Emory definitely has a few stereotypes. The first is that all kids are Long Island Jews whose mommy's and daddy's pay for everything. This stereotype, like most, has some grain of truth to it but a lot of exaggeration. While there is a high population of students from the northeast, not all are Jewish nor are they all wealthy. There is a strong Jewish population at Emory but it is no stronger than any other religious group. The second most common stereotype would be that most of the students are Asians. Yes, Emory does have a high population of Asian, Indian and other minority students but there is a very good mix and no overwhelming majority of any one race or ethnicity.

Emory has every club available and if they don't have one you can make one. I have seen several clubs start up -student government also provides funding to startups. Emory stresses volunteering on its applications so the majority of the students continue this thread while at school. Volunteer Emory is a large organization that has many service trips that span different charities throughout the year. For students interested in business, Goizueta Investors is the most popular club and connects underclassman with those in the business school. Greek Life dominates 1/3 of the school and provides a social outlet for those who want to be involved. Club tennis and soccer are also played frequently. For those interested in different niches Emory offers everything from culinary cub to salsa club. All of these clubs are a great way to meet new people and learn as well as better adjust to campus.

Academics are challenging at Emory, but by no means overwhelming. The GED's (general education requirements) can be frustrating for students who only want to pursue the classes that fall within their major. However, students may find that they enjoy a poetry or sustainability class -especially as more intense classes such as organic chemistry or financial accounting come their way. What separates Emory from other schools is its wonderful faculty -professors are always open to listen and have won multiple awards. For students pursuing pre-business or pre-med, they can expect to find professors who are well known in their industry. TA's are always available but used quite a bit in larger classes. Graduate students can be a mixed blessing -some take their classes too seriously and others with much less severity. If you put in the effort you will usually get an A. Beware of the business school curve, make sure you spread out prerequisite classes rather than loading them all on yourself at once and you will find a healthy social and academic balance at Emory. Most students study but won't talk about it -don't let yourself be confused! Everyone who puts in the time in usually does well.

The stereotypes are pretty accurate -they exist for a reason. Emory is separately diverse. Students come from all walks of life but tend to stick together based on their ethnicity, religion, region of the country. The majority of students come from the tri-state area. For North East students, its comforting when you realize that the majority of the students have similar values. As Emory is a private school, the majority of the students tend to come from upper class families. 1/3 of the students participate in Greek Life, but harsh standards about partying i.e. 2am party curfews preclude Emory from any intense southern Greek Life that may have been discussed. Many students play club sports, but you won't find a football team at Emory. This isn't a negative aspect by any means; its important, however, to think about the types of students a school attracts to a school who does not have a football team.

Christina

I absolutely LOVE Emory. The best thing about this school is the COMMUNITY. There are so many diverse students on campus, and I am proud to say that I am constantly meeting people on a day to day basis. Emory is big enough where you can meet new people, yet still recognize and know people walking to class everyday and/or in your classes or at a party. Every student at Emory is involved with a group whether it'd be community service (which is quite a big deal here), Greek life, religious life, cultural, interest, etc. There are events on and off campus hosted by Emory students, and I think the fact that Emory students are SO passionate about their clubs and extracurriculars shows how fun the Emory student body is in terms of making their college experience a balanced and fun one. I think the only thing I could complain about Emory is the lack of housing organization. The housing office at Emory is not organized and if you are an upperclassman looking for housing through the school, well, good luck. there is a lot of community at Emory but a lot of the upperclassmen live off campus or at Clairmont so it is a bit harder to hang out with your older friends if you have them and don't have a car. Luckily, I have a lot of upperclassmen friends as a transfer and I spend most of my time on campus, but occasionally off (which is nice sometimes). Atlanta is GREAT. There are tons of things to do and tons of people to do them with at Emory. I love it when people ask me where I go to school because I love Emory and I think more people should apply to it and realize how great a school it is! Because there is no football team, it is hard to have Emory pride, but I think that's even better, because all the Emory students unite over others things besides sports! We unite and have pride for our school community and the uniting thread is that majority of us love Emory and are intellectually driven to succeed here regardless of a football team. I would personally say the only thing unusual about this school is the Dooley mascot, the unofficial skeleton mascot with his troupe. It just seems a bit cultish and creepy to me, but that is just a personal opinion. I LOVE Wonderful Wednesdays here, where all the clubs at Emory come together to promote their club activities and reach out to the student body. It is such a great way to unite the community, blasting loud music on the sunny lawn and just bonding with peers and friends in the middle of the week! Emory is the best place for students who are looking for a great college experience that strives to promote the healthy balanced college life.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The biggest recent controversy on campus is the SAT cheating scandal where an Emory student was charged for taking the SATs for other students, but I am indifferent about this. There isn't a lot of Emory drama on campus because everyone here is pretty chill based on my observations so far... Everything is published in The Emory Wheel, the student run newspaper that comes out twice a week. I personally don't find Emory very politically active, but I could be wrong...

There are a lot of stereotypes, mainly about snobby spoiled rich kids from NYC who come here, in addition to the Ivy League rejects. Yes, you can see a lot of people with Ivy League sweatshirts, but also Emory ones too. A lot of Emory kids end up going to Ivy League grad schools, which I personally find better anyway because college is supposed to be as much fun as possible and the Ivy League is stressful. Emory is a private school so obviously there are rich kids around, and so you bet you will encounter rich kids if you attend any private school. Emory is very diverse and there are a lot of Greeks, but mostly everyone is academically driven. People usually stick to their own, but everyone is generally very nice. There are a lot of Koreans from Korea and Jews from Long Island but they tend to stick to themselves. A LOT of Pre-Professional students (med, law, business, health). There are others too, and there are independents as well. There are a handful of preppy kids, but again, tend to stick to themselves. The best stereotype of Emory I would say would be the nerd who likes to party. Honestly, I don't even think this is bad at all! Everyone at Emory is pretty well rounded and likes to have fun both in and out of the classroom ! Geeks and Greeks!

Preppy and snobby rich kids from Long Island. This is something I did not find detrimental to my experience at Emory, nor did I think a lot of my peers fit this category. Everyone here is pretty nerdy in terms of studying hard, but I would say mostly everyone knows how to have a good time, especially the Greeks. Greek life is pretty big here and I think there are a large percentage of people rushing both as freshman as well as upperclassmen. Also, a lot of the stereotypes reside in Asians being a large population here which is very true, but they tend to stick to themselves. And yes, the stereotype of rich white Jew from Long Island and NYC can be found here, but why does that even matter when Emory is so diverse? There are a good number of each race represented at Emory. You can definitely find groups of people to hang out with any given time, you just have to open minded and willing to meet people. Mostly everyone here is Pre-something, Pre Med, Pre Law, Pre Health and it is true of this stereotype. We work hard, but we play hard too.

Geeks and Greeks. Emory students are students who are highly committed to working hard in school, yet based on the environment, they also know how to have fun. There is SO much to do on campus, and off. I think this stereotype is so accurate if this is is the stereotype of working hard and playing hard. Every weekend I feel that Emory Student Programming Council and all the Multicultural Groups do a really good job with keeping students open to new activities and fun opportunities to mingle with their peers. Also, if you are looking for a party, Greek life is where you'll mostly find it. Greek life is pretty big here, but you can live without it because Emory is big enough where you can find your niche. Just keep an open mind! Atlanta is also a very thriving city with a decent nightlife and entertainment options, based on the student population at Emory, you can enjoy company with a diverse group of students whether on campus or off. Emory is GREAT!!!

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

As an upperclassmen, frat parties aren't always the thing to do, however it just depends on the frat and who you know. Frat parties usually consist of a lot of freshman, but sometimes events are thrown off campus which is a good mix like at the Nest or Maggie's. I personally think Maggie's is way too crowded and not as fun coming from NYC, but if you know a lot of people at Maggie's to chill with it could be fun. The good thing about Atlanta is that there is so many other venues like bars and clubs and lounges to hang out at, that there isn't a problem finding other things to do. However, because atlanta is a driving city, it can be a huge pain to split cab fare with friends especially if all your friends live in different parts of campus. I think another criticism of campus social life is that people are kinda cliquey here and may not be open to meeting new people. It just depends on who you meet and what activities you join. The best part of campus is that you can definitely walk down the street and identify familiar faces, however if you don't like seeing people you know, it's fine too! Emory is big enough where you can see enough people you know, and can easily avoid the ones you want to avoid...just be careful because Emory is not as big as you think. Greek life has its best and bad moments, but I highly recommend rushing just to see if it is for you. I think campus social life is pretty chill and nice here, it just needs better organization as well as more interest in the student body and notifying everyone of really cool events! Greek life is a great way to get involved with organized events, but it depends on the person. Overall, social scene happens on and off campus pretty equally.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

What's great about Emory is that there are so many places to get work done! I would say Cox hall is the best because of its plethora of MAC computers, comfy lounge cushions and chairs, and simulated business executive meeting rooms where students can hold meetings and/or chill out and/or study. There are numerous tables and chairs outside Cox to study as well as booths. Park benches and the never ending lawn on a sunny day is also a good place to study. The library is obviously the best bet---so much room to study, especially the really nice reading room with huge leather couches. But beware during midterm and finals week---you will rarely find space! For the even more studious kind, there are tons of cubbies in the stacks sprinkled everywhere in the library and in Cox Hall. Everything at Emory is pretty modern and modern styled, and very comfortable. Guaranteed you can find a place to get work done.

What are your classes like?

I think Emory's academics are challenging, manageable, and interesting because Emory is a university that strives to promote healthy living for all its students. There is definitely enough work to keep one busy here at Emory, but it is definitely manageable because of the great teaching ability of the professors. The library is open 24 hours during the week, but is closed for a certain time on the weekends! Most of my classes taught extremely well by the professors, so much so that a lot of the interesting facts and lessons of the lecture sticks with me during and after class, leading into class discussions and debates with my peers and friends. I would say class is where intellectual curiosity is birthed and developed further, and that the Emory class environment is always very friendly in addition to academically serious. Learning at Emory has inspired me to research further topics of interest discussed in class, outside of the classroom. Classes range from large lecture hall to small sized seminars with discussion, and I find that majority of Emory classes are well-sized so that each student can voice their opinion, understand the material, and establish meaningful relationships to professors and peers. Emory's classes are great!

What are the most popular classes offered?

Since majority of students at Emory are Pre-Med and/or Pre-Law, a lot of chemistry, biology, neuroscience, business administration/economics, and political science majors dominant the school. For these classes, there are multiple sections and a lot with labs because so many students choose to go down the pre-professional path. Again, health is very important at Emory, and with more liberal arts classes involving anthropological and sociological research, there are a handful of students also taking these classes as well. I would say when it is time to shop for classes, students get really excited by the amount that Emory has to offer, that spots in classes fill up quite fast. However, those classes that are most popular are the required classes for the pre-professional majors, and majority of Emory students fight for the spots pretty aggressively.

Emory's academics are great because of the amazing professors and plethora of academic options. There is enough leeway to change majors and minors, and meet with such an interesting spectrum of highly intellectual leaders in the fields of medicine, art history, english, whatever! My favorite class right now is my Global HIV/AIDS class because it is a tight knit class where discussion is encouraged and I love to comment on the readings and pertinent issues for class discussion. I don't have a least favorite class here because every class I've taken at Emory so far has been highly interesting and well-taught. Students study almost everyday, but enough to get by. Pre-med students study the most here, and a couple of people sleep at the library, but this is only personal preference. I'd say academics at Emory are well balanced and well taught, so there is no need to pull your hair out over the next exam. Just do your work and study on a regular basis. Class participation depends on the class, but it is definitely encouraged for better grades. I love having intellectual conversations with my peers and friends and Emory is a great place for this kind of discussion. The best thing about students here is that they are willing to help each other, and aren't as competitive as other schools. Everyone is very open to studying together and it seems as if competition is mostly with yourself. I personally love to spend time with my professors so I make an effort to see them, and I HIGHLY recommend this because these professors are so interesting and brilliant in their field of study. I learn so much about the school and other things while at office hours or just meeting up for coffee. The school's academic requirements are pretty hefty, but I appreciate how much balance and curiosity they promote with their general education requirements. For the major and minors, it is pretty similar in terms of breadth and depth as well as availability of classes. I think it's so great that students find shopping for classes an exciting time for them each semester. Education here is for both getting a job for your PASSION. Emory's big thing is a healthy lifestyle which is fitting for most of the students here who are Pre-Med and Pre-Health. Everyone at Emory is passionate about something and I think it shows through their activities as well as their student body's motivation to succeed in life while striving to sustain a healthy life.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors at Emory are all brilliant and top leaders in their fields. A lot of the professors here have multiple degrees, mostly Medical Degrees because of Emory's large Pre-Med programs and Pre-Health programs. I have noticed that a lot of my professors have been busy in terms of rescheduling meetings with me because they have other jobs aside from teaching. My Global AIDS professor goes to major conferences and conducts ethnographic research across the U.S. My anthropology professor leaves for medical conferences and meets with leaders in the fields of medicine and health. I think a lot of the professors are usually accessible though, and I think they are one of the most important assets of Emory because they are really good at teaching, are passionate about what they do both inside and outside the classroom, and encourage Emory students to do so as well.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Since Emory has no football team, it seems like no one is really spirited, but I tend to disagree. A lot of people here wear Emory gear, especially sports teams, and Emory is still a D3 school so the athletes do exist. I think because Emory promotes healthy living, a lot of students tend to play on intramural and club sports teams, work out at the great gym facilities, and run/job at Lullwater Park and/or around the campus pathways. Sports in terms of team playing isn't too big here, but during homecoming, the soccer game is attended by quite a lot of students and alum, and you can definitely bet that many students on campus will be involved with some kind of fitness activity!

When you step off campus what do you see?

There's not much off campus, except for Emory Village and a couple of nice suburban houses. Emory Village is pretty much all you see entering from the entrance of Emory. Emory Village is so CUTE though. It has boutiques to cute little restaurants like Doc Chey's Noodle House, Everybody's, Saba pasta, Burgers, Tacos, CVS, Yogli Mogli, Chipotle, and more. Aside from Emory Village, there's a lot of quaint little houses alongside Emory...also what I love about Emory is that it is constantly developing and the Center for Disease Control is so close in addition to Children's Hospital of Atlanta. Next year, Emory is going to get a major influx of businesses as well as luxury apartments for both students and professors and other staff called Emory Point. I'd say mostly off campus is pretty safe because Emory is in the safe part of Atlanta, but when you get into the city, which isn't too far, there's even more to do!

As a transfer, it is sometimes hard to find your niche and get back into the pace of things, but at Emory my friends as well as myself have found the transition to be really smooth and great. Not only that, but you can find people from all different backgrounds and races associating with each other here at Emory. Community is very big here, and the fact that it is so culturally diverse as well also plays a huge role in creating a great, unique campus and college experience. I think the best thing about Emory is its emphasis on community and health, but incorporating and instilling appreciation and acceptance of all students regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation. Emory students are generally pretty friendly and considerate, and dedicated members of community service. You will learn so much from your peers, classmates, and friends here! Everyone seems to be open to meeting and making new friends, and if you are open to others, you will learn and gain so much more in college and in life.

The weather is generally very warm, so don't bring too many bulky sweaters. The food at Cox is way better than the food at the DUC. Printing is not free at Emory. A large amount of people are in Greek life and freshman are not allowed at parties during the first few weeks. Don't swim in the SAE pool. Emory is very diverse, so be prepared to meet people from all different backgrounds. Be open-minded to meeting new people. Don't be afraid to try new things and learn something new from others. JOIN CLUBS to meet new people, as well as talking to people in class. Emory is not as big as one thinks so don't make bad decisions. Be aggressive and independent and don't expect things to happen on their own. You have to be independent and do things yourself. Emory administration isn't that good, but everyone is pretty helpful when asked for help. Use the gym, the study rooms in the stacks, and the cool technology in Cox Hall. There is always something to do, you just have to be alert and find it. Overall, enjoy as much as you can of Freshman year because you'll be graduating sooner than you think. Freshman year is when you meet a lot of friends, but you can always make friends as you get older. Just remember to try things so that when you are ready to declare a major, you are ready. And also, be ready to have the time of your life.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Everyone's first year at Emory is on the required meal plan. For freshman it is unlimited meal swipes, and for upperclassmen, you have the ability to choose which ones you want. The DUC stands for Dobbs University Center which is located at the heart of the campus center. Food is what you will find pretty much at any university, not like home-cooked meals, but there are certain gems that you will find here. There is a typical salad bar, pizza bar, sandwich bar, vegan station, grill, and hot meals. There are options, it just depends on which days the better options come out. I think Emory's dining does a good job in trying to support the balanced, healthy diet. It just gets old after awhile. My favorite meal at the Duc is on the weekends because the omelette station is open. Everyone chooses to get Dooley Dollars which act as monetary dollars that can work at on campus dining venues like Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, Boar's Head, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Chinese food, Einstein's Bagels, etc. These are the best because they allow flexibility into your schedule and the food tastes better at these venues. If you REALLY cannot stand the dining options, you can always call delivery from local asian fusion restaurants and other places, in addition to heading over to Emory Village to dine in a chill atmosphere like Doc Chey's Noodle House, Saba, Everybody's, Panera Bread, etc. There is also a Publix really close by where you can drive (if you have a car) to pick up some fresh groceries and cook for yourself! I definitely think it is good to have variety and Emory does a pretty good job of it, but it is honestly up to you where you want to eat and what, because there are PLENTY of options.

Describe the dorms.

Everyone at Emory pretty much lives in a great dorm. There is heat, air conditioning, well furnished lounges with tables, chairs, and some with flat screens. Long Street Means is the best dorm for freshman, with leather couches and a fireplace near the entrance, Mac computers for use, and spacious closet space and rooms. Emory really prides itself in its living options, and the worst dorm right now called Trimble is being knocked down and made anew for better dorms. Emory University living is highly respected and for upperclassmen, there is the opportunity to live at Clairmont, which is designed as a country club. Clairmont has its own gym, outdoor swimming pool, and tennis courts privately owned by the university for all the residents and student use. The apartments at Clairmont are styled as mini-townhouse apartments, with a living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, and 2-3 bedrooms with approximately 2 bathrooms. If you decide to come to Emory, you will not be disappointed! If you choose to go Greek, you have the option of living at the sorority lodges on campus, and/or the fraternity houses which look like mini-mansions. A lot of the frat houses have parlors with game rooms, in addition to porches with grills, and one fraternity even has an outdoor pool! I think the dorms at Emory are more like luxury apartment/house styled living once you get past freshman year. A lot of upperclassmen also tend to live off campus in apartment complexes and/or nearby houses.

Beautiful shiny marbled buildings that gleam in the sunlight, well kept green grass with lounging students, and a brick pathway that extends around campus for students to bike, walk, skateboard, job on....on Emory's campus, students are always smiling, the sun seems to always be shining, and the amazing italian architecture styled buildings seem to add an elegant touch to campus. The buildings are very modern and simple, with the state of the art computer systems. Cox Hall has a clock tower which represents the central area of campus, and with the Dooley mascot floating around in statue and in form, there is definitely an amusement park vibe. The greenery and flowers are so beautiful and everything is well kept. Emory is definitely a modern campus, yet hints of old antiquity here and there can be seen as well. I also love how many students lounge around campus on the benches or the lawn, the steps or the grass, and just read and relax with friends!

What's the Greek scene like?

If you walk around campus, you will see girls with sorority lettered bags, and frat guys with fraternity lettered tee shirts. Greek scene is pretty big here, dominating around 30% of the student body and heavily increasing in numbers. However, it is not everything, but in terms of organized social functions and events, Greek life is pretty much the place to be. There are around 7 mainstream sororities and 10 mainstream fraternities who throw a good amount of date parties, mixers, and themed open parties. There are also multicultural sororities and a honors fraternity and co-ed business and service fraternities that you can be a part of. However, the mainstream Greeks dominate the scene and have houses and lodges, but Greek life isn't for everyone so you don't have to rush if you don't want to. There is such a large enough student population that joining a Greek organization isn't the only thing to do, however it is a great way to meet people and make great college memories!

What's the dating scene like?

Emory is big on Greek life so there are a lot of hook ups since Greek parties are thrown almost every weekend. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. There are definitely couples on campus, holding hands, kissing each other before class, etc. Pretty standard and regardless of anything, people of the opposite sex just usually hang out all the time. Sometimes hooking up ends up happening, but it goes for here as any other school. Most hookups occur as freshman throughout to about junior year. This is college...relationships or hookups may or may not happen. Around the end of college, people start getting more serious I think about relationships, but some people never grow tired of it. It just depends on who you meet!

I think almost everyone on campus is involved with either a community service initiative or a part of Greek life, or in both. There are a bunch of multicultural organizations, but they tend to stick together moreso than the other members of community service and greek life who seem to branch out more to others. I am involved with numerous global health organizations since health is a big part of Emory's curriculum. Students are involved with the Atlanta community as a part of Volunteer Emory or other service organizations. Athletic events aren't really big here, but I think artistic student groups are pretty fun and well attended. A lot of alums attend the soccer games, but other than that, I am not sure about the other sports. The dating scene usually starts as an upperclassmen, but the hook up culture is definitely prevalent. A lot of the activities for students in their free time involve playing sports, going to frat parties, and checking out local clubs/bars in the Atlanta area. Traditions like Wonderful Wednesday, Homecoming parade, concerts on campus, and alumni day, etc. all help to bring the Emory community together. People here know how to prioritize and so a lot of studying occurs before a lot of partying. I think there's almost as much studying as there is partying, which is a lot, but I think students know what is more important. I think Greek life is a big thing here, but it is actually okay to not be a part of since it isn't the only thing you can do. There are so many students not involved in Greek life but also know how to have a good time. However, if you are looking for a socially organized schedule of events and you spend a lot of time at the frats, you should rush. Dance, acapella, and cultural performances can also be found around campus, just be on the lookout because these are hidden gems!

Describe a typical weekend.

Since Greek life is so big here, you will definitely experience at least one Hall Crawl or a themed frat party if you attend Emory. Whether you are in Greek life or not, there are so many frats especially with such nice houses, that you are bound to step into a party. But the good thing about Emory is that there are other options since you are near a city. Atlanta has tons of bars, lounges and clubs, but you have to be of age, however, usually clubs have special 18+ nights. Maggie's is a huge hot spot for people, especially since it is so easy to get into and everyone ends up there by the end of every Friday night, so you are bound to know someone to hang out with and/or chill with. A typical weekend for someone who parties would go like.... Frat party hall crawl on Thursday Date party with a frat or sorority on Friday, and then end up at Maggie's workout at the gym, attend meetings and/or community service events, then attend Themed frat party on Saturday Sunday- WORK ALL DAY IN THE LIBRARY! For those who aren't big on Greek life, you can find other things to do like attend a concert, a theatrical show, visit historical sites, attend an Atlanta sports game, go to a museum, play sports with friends or watch a movie with friends. Pretty standard options. But Emory does a good job of uniting the community together with cultural events and big music names like Big Boi and Kid Cudi concerts ON campus! A lot of student groups put on a collaborative event for the greater university so be sure to check them out and be on the lookout for them if you come here!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

After researching and reading about Emory, I was sure this was the right school for me. Based on the short essay, "Emory University prides itself on the size, location, reputation, and the weather", and I think Emory definitely meets its standards in all of these areas, but most importantly I think Emory takes so much pride in its community service and civic engagement that I knew this was the right school for me. Community is so important at Emory, and there is always something to do on campus as well as off. After one semester at Emory, I am still in love with how much community this school shares; religious, cultural, service, and Greek. There is always something to be a part of, and if something doesn't work out, you can try something else. It depends on YOU though. Emory does not baby you, and should not. I wanted a school where a large community is emphasized, as well as room for independence and Emory has all of this, amongst other great accolades.

What do students complain about most?

The Duc food is not the best type of food around, but most of what i hear are people complaining about is the way the food is prepared and the type of unhealthy food selection that is offered. Also, the weather is something that bothers a lot of people because it sometimes rains randomly and in the summer it gets ridiculously hot. For academics, I would say there isn't enough organization between the administration and there needs to be a better system for organizing students and directing them in their specific major and minors. Emory students are very independent and self- motivated so it doesn't really hurt them, but there should still be more organization regardless. Also, the thing that bothers me the most is the incredulous lack of organization with housing! The system is not very structured where students are guaranteed housing who need it once you are an upperclassmen. Lastly, the distance between the health center, counseling service, and other student care centers are pretty distant from certain parts of campus and may be far for some. Overall, Emory is pretty great, but I would say there are definite loopholes of the system and needs to be better organized for students to be fairly guaranteed what tuition covers.

As someone who is friends with all types of people, I found it even easier to make friends at Emory for this reason. Everyone here is different in some way, whether itd be interest or race, and I think the campus groups show how diverse Emory is. I recently attended an Indian Cultural Exchange event at the Omni Hotel, where Indian culture was celebrated throughout the night through food, dance, song, etc. A lot of my friends are from Southeast Asian and I love the fact that I had the experience to partake in their culture. There are multiple other groups on campus too that host events promoting their culture and background which I find highly important to experience in college. Everyone should have an open mind when meeting different people, because you can always learn from something new. Most students do not feel out of place at Emory because everyone is so friendly and there is so much to do, I can't imagine someone not being able to fit somewhere! Most students wear gym clothes to class because of the weather in addition to going to the gym in between classes. Working out and exercise is a big thing for Emory students, almost as big as academics. I would say this is another factor of Emory students' attractiveness, they not only like to work hard in the classroom, but also work out at the AWESOME gym that Emory offers. Most students who come to Emory are from New York state and/or somewhere in Georgia. There are also a great number of International students from Korea as elsewhere. I'd say most people here at Emory are from wealthy upper middle class families, but there are a bunch of people from everywhere on the financial spectrum. I think students here talk about politics quite a lot, but not in overwhelming amounts that start activism. I think Emory students' big thing that unites them together is community service, because I think a lot of the students here pursue careers in the preprofessional disciplines to help others, and just that in itself is enough to unite a great student body.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.