Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

As someone who is friends with all types of people, I found it even easier to make friends at Emory for this reason. Everyone here is different in some way, whether itd be interest or race, and I think the campus groups show how diverse Emory is. I recently attended an Indian Cultural Exchange event at the Omni Hotel, where Indian culture was celebrated throughout the night through food, dance, song, etc. A lot of my friends are from Southeast Asian and I love the fact that I had the experience to partake in their culture. There are multiple other groups on campus too that host events promoting their culture and background which I find highly important to experience in college. Everyone should have an open mind when meeting different people, because you can always learn from something new. Most students do not feel out of place at Emory because everyone is so friendly and there is so much to do, I can't imagine someone not being able to fit somewhere! Most students wear gym clothes to class because of the weather in addition to going to the gym in between classes. Working out and exercise is a big thing for Emory students, almost as big as academics. I would say this is another factor of Emory students' attractiveness, they not only like to work hard in the classroom, but also work out at the AWESOME gym that Emory offers. Most students who come to Emory are from New York state and/or somewhere in Georgia. There are also a great number of International students from Korea as elsewhere. I'd say most people here at Emory are from wealthy upper middle class families, but there are a bunch of people from everywhere on the financial spectrum. I think students here talk about politics quite a lot, but not in overwhelming amounts that start activism. I think Emory students' big thing that unites them together is community service, because I think a lot of the students here pursue careers in the preprofessional disciplines to help others, and just that in itself is enough to unite a great student body.

The student body tends to be cliquey, breaking off into ethnic, racial and religious groups - the group of Jewish friends, the international students, the African-Americans, etc. However, this is not a result of biases, but simply the natural progression for most students, as they meet most of their friends through extra-curriculars such as Hillel or the Black Student Alliance. If you want a more diverse group of friends, simply talk to people - just because they keep to their own type doesn't mean they wouldn't mind meeting different people. The atmosphere at Emory is very laid back. People don't dress up every day, sticking instead to shorts and t-shirts or sweatshirts when it gets colder. As long as the weather is warm, most people stay outside, studying or reading on the quad, throwing around a frisbee or football, or just sitting around and chatting. Any type of person will be able to find a social group at Emory. There are the kids who party hard as well as those who'd prefer to stay in on a Friday night and watch a movie. most people will do both, depending on the day, and different personality types are still able to be friends and find things to do together. Most people are interested and active in politics, and the campus is largely liberal, although the College Republicans are a very vocal minority. Most people are simply able to enjoy themselves at college in the moment, finding things they enjoy to do and not focusing on the future. Overall, Emory is an enjoyable place to be, and most people benefit from that.

The average Emory student definitely comes from a wealthy background and tends to be from the Northeast. But Emory also has students that come from all over the country (I'm from Portland, Oregon and no, we do not drive around in buggies) and all over the world. Emory is home to a much more diverse student body than I had expected coming into this school. I have friends from all over the world including England, Cuba, Thailand and Bulgaria. The foreign students tend to be some of the most wealthy but they also tend to be some of the brightest. In addition to being diverse, the emory student body is very very very smart. Emory was a reach school for me academically and I was thrilled when I got in. In High School I considered myself to be a motivated, intelligent and capable person and while I still view myself in that light, I am now more aware of how many other people (6000 I believe is the size of Emory currently) share those same qualities at this school. Emory may not be an Ivy League but I doubt there is another school with students as driven to succeed as they are here. While this factor can be intimidating at first, it ultimately contributes to a campus experience rife with energy, creativity and filled with great conversations.

A student who hasn't had any experience with Jewish students and has been sheltered for most of their life might have some trouble. Afterall, it is very much a northeast campus in the South. The school likes to say that it is diversed, and that might be true...but there certainly isn't integration, and nothing is really done by many groups on campus or the administration itself to promote that integration. Southern kids hang out with other Southerners. Northeast kids hang out with other Northeasterners, Asians hang out with Asians, Indian kids with other Indians, and blacks hang out with other blacks. In an ideal world, that would change and everyone would have several GOOD friends from different ethnic backgrounds. Guys wear a lot of different things...there is the southern look, the guido look, the "i don't care how i look" look...definitely varies. Almost every girl wears those annoying skin-tight spandex pants during winter time...soooo annoying. Students seem to be politically aware and care about what's going on in the world, but the campus is far from being a hub for political discussion amongst the students.

Everyone gets along on ccampus. There are no students that feel out of place, there is definitely something for everyone to do. Students wear regular clothing to class. Everyone interacts, Emory is very diverse. All of the tables are probably equivalent, maybe one has a bunch of kids from a certain frat, and maybe they are divided by sex, but for the most part, they are equally diverse. Most Emory students are from the New York, Boston or Miami area, but there is a huge international student population. I would say that the most prevelant financial backgrounds is the upper-middle class. Most students are not politically aware or active. The majority of students would probably be left of center, but there is also a lot of students that lean to the right politically as we are a school in the south. No one talks about how much they'll earn one day.

I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at Emory unless it's a student who doesn't want to study or do any work. Even those can do so, just with obvious repercussions. Students don't dress up an awful lot to go to class. You'll see the occassional girl who's obviously trying to impress some guy and the people who have some type of interview or professional engagement, but I never get the impression that people are dressing in ways that they wouldn't dress if they were somewhere else. Different types of students interact on a regular basis because being part of different university activities requires it. Students are more politically aware than they are active but there are those that campaign fiercely for their candidate.

Emory is getting more and more diverse, which I think is great. Despite its growing diversity, there is still a clear separation between ethnic groups within friends. I don't think anyone excludes anyone else on purpose, its just how it is. I wish we could interact with each other more. I find almost everyone is very nice and kind. It is rare that I find someone who is flat out rude to me. I think most people at Emory are extremely driven, as well. I believe that everyone has some sort of standard of living and final goal that they wish to achieve, if not in the near future, then at some point in their lives.

While Emory has a diverse student body, different ethnic and social groups do not intermix well. Asian students hang out with other Asians, Jews with Jews, black students with black students, etc... Most Emory students are from suburbs of large cities (New York, Chicago,and Boston seem to be the most common). One only needs to visit an Emory parking lot to understand the financial background of Emory Students (sometimes it looks like an Audi or BMW dealership here) Many students are politlcally aware. Since a bulk of the student body is from the northeast, it seems that students are mostly politically liberal.

hahahahah its like everywhere else. some are cool and chill while some others are losers. student population's very diversed and there are students from everywhere. i'd say a lot of kids here are very rich. many of them drive bmw, audi, benz and such. i-phones are seen everywhere. i am not sure about lgbt life here at emory but people seem to fit well. although most of them are rich, they don't really talk about money at all. everyone's very down to earth and chill. they are friendly but it's kind of hard to make a first step here. people are shy but once you get to know them, they rock.

As I said, Emory students are very diverse. Students come from the East Coast, the West Coast, place in between and even from overseas. I think everyone can "find a place" here and the stereotype that we are institution of rich brats is entirely untrue. My family is by no means rich and a lot of kids have jobs on or off campus. Politically, most students tend to lean toward the left but if you're a conservative, you could probably find someone with views like yours if you looked. My roommate, for example, is politically more conservative.