Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

As far as Emory being elitist, I don't know how much sway that claim holds with me. Yeah, there are a lot of rich kids here and I know there are not too many kids at state colleges who drives brand new BMWs, but that doesn't necessarily make us elitist. A lot of kids attend Emory whose parents are not rich and they haven't had the same opportunities as the rich kids. But they're here and not made to feel uncomfortable or anything. I don't hear too many conversations centering around students' wealth. The leftist and liberal charges I understand a little more, but those people have to understand that at a university whose mission concerns diversity, every viewis going to be espoused. If you don't like it, don't listen. While I don't agree with a lot of things that I hear, I understand why the university allows it. Wasting taxpayer dollars. Well, I'm not entirely sure how we're getting those taxpayer dollars, but I do feel the mainstream media is not a reliable critic on the worth or validity of a particular type of research. If grants are going to departments and people at Emory and they're using them in a truthful manner, it's not really anyone else's business. If it bothers them that much, they should take it up with the government agencies who give them the grants. Not only that, but research at Emory has done much more than the average person knows, like discovering breakthrough AIDS medication. If the public was able to determine the direction of research because of a misleading news media report, who knows if that would have happened? As far as the landscaping goes, frankly, I appreciate it. It's nice to walk to class and see pretty flowers and cut grass. I would much rather that than a gray, sterile, concrete campus that is very uninspiring. With regard to the rankings, it is the school's present rankings that make its alumni's degrees worth anything. If the school was ranked number 78, that degree wouldn't be so impressive. Not to mention the fact that I don't see any evidence of the university being obsessed with rankings. Nothing is ever said to students with regard to our part in increasing the rankings, so I don't know where that's coming from. As far as activism goes, having to go through a campus office before putting up flyers and the like is something I'm glad they do. No one is discriminated against, they just have to get permission. I don't want to be overtaken by zealots on my way to class every day. And there is activism on campus, it's just not intrusive and brash.

There are a lot of stereotypes, mainly about snobby spoiled rich kids from NYC who come here, in addition to the Ivy League rejects. Yes, you can see a lot of people with Ivy League sweatshirts, but also Emory ones too. A lot of Emory kids end up going to Ivy League grad schools, which I personally find better anyway because college is supposed to be as much fun as possible and the Ivy League is stressful. Emory is a private school so obviously there are rich kids around, and so you bet you will encounter rich kids if you attend any private school. Emory is very diverse and there are a lot of Greeks, but mostly everyone is academically driven. People usually stick to their own, but everyone is generally very nice. There are a lot of Koreans from Korea and Jews from Long Island but they tend to stick to themselves. A LOT of Pre-Professional students (med, law, business, health). There are others too, and there are independents as well. There are a handful of preppy kids, but again, tend to stick to themselves. The best stereotype of Emory I would say would be the nerd who likes to party. Honestly, I don't even think this is bad at all! Everyone at Emory is pretty well rounded and likes to have fun both in and out of the classroom ! Geeks and Greeks!

Somewhat. The Northeast does make up a large amount of undergrads, especially from the Long Island area, but Georgia, California and Texas are all represented as well, and there are many students from all over the country. When a school is as expensive as Emory is, there are bound to be many people from upper-class families, but the university does a very good job with financial aid, so many kids are able to come from less affluent backgrounds. As far as the ivy league stereotype, most people I've met at Emory didn't apply to any of the ivies. The most commonly overlapping schools are WashU, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Duke - almost every single student I've met either applied to at least one of those five as well as Emory, or simply applied here Early Decision.

There are a lot of Jewish students...something like 33% or more of the students are Jewish. There are also a lot of kids whose parents give them way too much money than they deserve or know what to do with, and there are a ton of kids from the Northeast. The amount of Jewish kids and kids from the Northeast certainly isn't a bad thing, but the amount of uptight, spoiled kids kind of is.

It is true, that many Emory Students fit the aforementioned description. However, most of these students are concentrated in Greek Organizations, which only make up 30% of the student body. The other 70% of Emory is rather diverse, not only ethnically, but socially.

I do not feel that any of these stereotypes are accurate. I feel Emory students work hard and are involved in many different ways in the Emory and Atlanta communities. I am a graduate student, so my perspectives are not as informed sometime.

To some extent. Stereotypes are just exaggerations of facts; Emory does have a large Jewish and Asian population but not all students are. Many of the students here are wealthy but again, a lot are on scholarship.

to some extent. its not that theyre not true or accurate, but its not polite and its incredibly rude to put us all in the same category for having one characteristic in common with those girls.

While there is a big population of people from Long Island at Emory, it is not nearly as highly represented as people put it out to be.

Social scene is dominated with kids from the New York area (NYC, long island, and Westchester) but they can be easily avoided