Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Everyone's first year at Emory is on the required meal plan. For freshman it is unlimited meal swipes, and for upperclassmen, you have the ability to choose which ones you want. The DUC stands for Dobbs University Center which is located at the heart of the campus center. Food is what you will find pretty much at any university, not like home-cooked meals, but there are certain gems that you will find here. There is a typical salad bar, pizza bar, sandwich bar, vegan station, grill, and hot meals. There are options, it just depends on which days the better options come out. I think Emory's dining does a good job in trying to support the balanced, healthy diet. It just gets old after awhile. My favorite meal at the Duc is on the weekends because the omelette station is open. Everyone chooses to get Dooley Dollars which act as monetary dollars that can work at on campus dining venues like Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, Boar's Head, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Chinese food, Einstein's Bagels, etc. These are the best because they allow flexibility into your schedule and the food tastes better at these venues. If you REALLY cannot stand the dining options, you can always call delivery from local asian fusion restaurants and other places, in addition to heading over to Emory Village to dine in a chill atmosphere like Doc Chey's Noodle House, Saba, Everybody's, Panera Bread, etc. There is also a Publix really close by where you can drive (if you have a car) to pick up some fresh groceries and cook for yourself! I definitely think it is good to have variety and Emory does a pretty good job of it, but it is honestly up to you where you want to eat and what, because there are PLENTY of options.

To save money on food, Ellen takes as much food from the student cafeteria (the DUC) as she can carry!

Some students are dissatisfied with the dining options available at Emory. Most of Emory students are extremely involved on campus and have sports practice, dance rehearsal, etc. until late at night. However, the main dining halls on campus close at 8 pm and, since practices usually end after this time, many students have nowhere to eat a late dinner.

Students, faculty and staff eating lunch at one of Emory's dining facilities.