Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

Emory's academics are great because of the amazing professors and plethora of academic options. There is enough leeway to change majors and minors, and meet with such an interesting spectrum of highly intellectual leaders in the fields of medicine, art history, english, whatever! My favorite class right now is my Global HIV/AIDS class because it is a tight knit class where discussion is encouraged and I love to comment on the readings and pertinent issues for class discussion. I don't have a least favorite class here because every class I've taken at Emory so far has been highly interesting and well-taught. Students study almost everyday, but enough to get by. Pre-med students study the most here, and a couple of people sleep at the library, but this is only personal preference. I'd say academics at Emory are well balanced and well taught, so there is no need to pull your hair out over the next exam. Just do your work and study on a regular basis. Class participation depends on the class, but it is definitely encouraged for better grades. I love having intellectual conversations with my peers and friends and Emory is a great place for this kind of discussion. The best thing about students here is that they are willing to help each other, and aren't as competitive as other schools. Everyone is very open to studying together and it seems as if competition is mostly with yourself. I personally love to spend time with my professors so I make an effort to see them, and I HIGHLY recommend this because these professors are so interesting and brilliant in their field of study. I learn so much about the school and other things while at office hours or just meeting up for coffee. The school's academic requirements are pretty hefty, but I appreciate how much balance and curiosity they promote with their general education requirements. For the major and minors, it is pretty similar in terms of breadth and depth as well as availability of classes. I think it's so great that students find shopping for classes an exciting time for them each semester. Education here is for both getting a job for your PASSION. Emory's big thing is a healthy lifestyle which is fitting for most of the students here who are Pre-Med and Pre-Health. Everyone at Emory is passionate about something and I think it shows through their activities as well as their student body's motivation to succeed in life while striving to sustain a healthy life.

Emory places a huge emphasis on being a liberal arts school, but at the same time, a large number of students are in the business school, are pre-med or pre-law. Generally class size varies depending on your major and what level of class you're taking. Introductory classes like all the 101's, are lecture size with 60-120 students. Smaller seminar classes can have as little at 5 students or 15. I'm a journalism and Spanish major, both of which are small programs compared to other majors. I know all my professors personally and they greet me by my name outside of class. I frequent their office hours from time to time. My class-size has usually ranged from 10-20 students throughout my four years at Emory. My favorite class has been my News Video class in the journalism program because I learned how to shoot video, write news packages and edit it all together using professional software for broadcast, which is what I'd like to pursue after I graduate. My least favorite class has been Political Science Methods, a statistics class for poli sci majors. I took it before I switched my second major from political science to Spanish and I absolutely hated it. Generally, students participate a lot in class and class participation is usually required in most class syllabi. Most students also study a lot and have high GPA's. Emory students are quite competitive in that way. Emory's academic requirements are pretty well-rounded and allow students to take advantage of the wide variety of classes offered to them, like the history of jazz or the Harry Potter class in the American Studies department, which is new next semester and satisfies a writing requirement. Whether Emory is geared toward getting its students jobs or learning for the sake of learning, I think it depends on the major you choose. Business school students are all about getting jobs and being successful when they graduate, but the more liberal arts departments, like the Spanish or philosophy department, is concerned with gaining knowledge and inspiring thought for its own sake.

Emory's reputation as an academic powerhouse is well deserved. Although exceptions exist, the professors are not only intelligent but accessible, and most classes beyond early introduction lectures are between 20-30 students in size. It's possible to find classes that are easy A's, but most classes are difficult, and the average student works hard to do well. Most students are able to maintain social lives despite the heavy workload, but finding space in the library on most weeknights is difficult, especially during midterms and finals. The classes are rewarding for the hard work though, as most professors care about their students and their topics, and keep the class interesting. Emory does not have a competitive tone to it's academics. Students often study or do work together, as cooperation helps immensely with classes. Most students are pre-professional, especially premed, and the focus is on the sciences as a result, but the liberal arts programs are also strong - the political science department, for instance, has professors that are recognized worldwide in their field, and benefits from the proximity of CNN and the Carter Center. The academic requirements are not very difficult; most of them will be taken care of naturally through majors, so most students will only have to take a few undesired courses over four years. One such course will inevitably be PE 101, a health class required for all students. It's a 300 person lecture once a week, followed by a 30 person discussion group, also once a week, and everyone hates it - the collective complaining that occurs is the only enjoyable part of it. The class is an easy A though, and doesn't take up much time.

As an English major I have had a different experience than many of my friends who I call "the science kids" at Emory. Unlike them, the largest class I have attended at Emory has been comprised of 40 students. In fact, the majority of my classes have ranged anywhere from 18 students to 6 (in a 6 person class you MUST always do the reading! Don't find that out the hard way like I did). The small class sizes at Emory has not only given me the opportunity to get to know the other students in the class and engage in the material, but establish a close relationship with my professors as well. The Emory English department caters itself to students who enjoy participating, love discussion based classes and who want to be challenged in a creative and intellectual environment. English professors will not only know your name, but wave to you on campus and if your lucky, invite you to dinner at their house. Like any major at Emory, the English major is competitive but manageable. The class material is often difficult but so intriguing that you can't help but learn it and enjoy writing the papers. You will of course, come across the occasional English teacher who does not "believe in A's" and who only allows you to read books authored by them. As ridiculous as that sounds, it does happen, trust me. However, not to worry, these teachers are usually easy to spot from a mile away. And luckily, the majority of teachers in the department are engaging, passionate and genuinely care about the success of their students.

Academics are challenging at Emory, but by no means overwhelming. The GED's (general education requirements) can be frustrating for students who only want to pursue the classes that fall within their major. However, students may find that they enjoy a poetry or sustainability class -especially as more intense classes such as organic chemistry or financial accounting come their way. What separates Emory from other schools is its wonderful faculty -professors are always open to listen and have won multiple awards. For students pursuing pre-business or pre-med, they can expect to find professors who are well known in their industry. TA's are always available but used quite a bit in larger classes. Graduate students can be a mixed blessing -some take their classes too seriously and others with much less severity. If you put in the effort you will usually get an A. Beware of the business school curve, make sure you spread out prerequisite classes rather than loading them all on yourself at once and you will find a healthy social and academic balance at Emory. Most students study but won't talk about it -don't let yourself be confused! Everyone who puts in the time in usually does well.

The majority of my professors know my name. My favorite class so far has been Decision Science. This class is taught in the business school and I enjoy the class and the teacher a lot. My least favorite class so far has been Intro to Theater. I try to study at least 2 hours a day on a regular week, but when I have a test I usually spend around 4 hours for two days before my test in the library studying. Class participation is very common. I have not really seen that many Emory students having intellectual conversations outside of class. There are definitely some very competitive students, but overall, most students look out for one another. The most unique class I have taken is a class on Topology. I eventually want to go to the undergraduate business program. I do not really spend time with my professors outside of class. Emory's academic requirements are great in the fact that the college requires you to take a plethora of eclectic classes. I think my education is geared towards getting a job, which could be looked at in a negative way, but I think it is a good idea.

Yes, most classes are small enough so professors know my name. Students study a good amount...some go overboard, others are idiots and don't study at all. Finals time is how it should be...hardly any kids are going out to party on finals weekend. Competition, i'd say isn't a big issue. It's certainly no UPenn...everyone wants to do well, and doesn't see how other people succeeding would prevent that from happening. Most unique class I've taken was Chemistry of Drugs on the Brain, but that's only because it was awful. So far, it's the only bad class I've had at Emory. Seriously...it was so bad. I can't say too much about my own intended major, because I'm not in the B-School yet, but I do want to either double-major in Philosophy or minor in Philosophy, and my experience with that dept. has been fantastic. Emory's academic GER reqs. are very fair and make sense. Emory College is certainly concerned with learning for its own sake...that is the main goal. As for the B-School...it is and should be geared towards getting a good job.

Academics at Emory are very strong. Being one of the top 20 schools in the nation speaks for itself in that students are given an extraordinary education from very highly regarded and renowned professors. Because it is a liberal arts school, Emory offers a wide variety of courses for students to take and majors and/or minors in every single concentration. I came in to Emory with the intention of being a Criminal Psychologist but after sampling other courses and testing the waters in fields I had never even considered before I switched my studies to a dual major in Journalism and Sociology. Being in a school with some of the brightest young minds in the world of course breeds a little bit of competition. But this competition never exceeds appropriate boundaries and pushes everyone to succeed and work harder to better themselves. Because class sizes are smaller, professors will almost always know you buy name after just the first few days of class. This allows for a much more personalized learning experience for each student.

Yes, professors do know your name. Class sizes are generally small enough for that to happen and I like that. My favorite classes have been my Creative Writing classes because the creative atmosphere is awesome. Ideas are bounced back and forth in a really uplifting way and I like that. Students study a lot. We have to and there's really no other way to say it. Yes, Emory students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and I love participating in them because it usually makes me feel very academic and collegiate. I feel an Emory education can be tailored towards whether or not the student is interested in getting a job or learning for its own sake. The general education requirements force you to take classes outside of your discipline and there's no reason for you to be there other than to learn and I like that. Taking classes for fun is encouraged and a lot of students come in with enough AP credit that they can do that.

emory's a small private school where professor and student ratio's relatively small. it's hard not to get to know professor unless students never show up to class. all my professors know my name and we randomly run into each other sometimes at starbucks or so. i am studying film so i really can't tell about other department but classes are fun. favorite class i've taken was 'history of film' taught by dr.mueller. he's funny, sarcastic but also smart. i've taken his class 4 times so far. honestly speaking film department at emory's not as strong as other film schools which i am quite upset about. they only offer few classes each semester and not many of production classes either. but professors are amazing and my advisor's also very funny but very helpful. i am so not sure about getting employed after college since who gives a damn about film at emory? i might end up minoring in english just for that.