Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

The worst thing about Emory is that due to its prestigious name, many students who apply are usually those with money who want to obtain a respectable degree. Many of these students believe that their college degree can be bought, and actual hard work is overrated. Some even believe that simply having an Emory degree will land them a 6-figure job after graduation. Being in classes with students such as these is very frustrating as the learning environment is compromised, and the lack of students you can relate to for academic challanege and support is an ever constant.

If I could pinpoint anything that upsets me about my school it would be the lack of diversity on campus. In the real world, you are surrounded by a variety of cultures and languages. In order to be successful in the real world, I feel you must immerse yourself in a diverse setting rather than isolate yourself in a bubble consisting of people sharing the same language and culture. On the bright side, Emory has increased its number of minority groups in recent years, accepting a larger portion of Hispanic/Latino, African American, and Asian/Pacific Islander students.

The most disturbing factor about Emory University is the lack of school spirit displayed by the students. Ultimately, this lack of enthusiasm for the university filters into the faculty and staff. Very few students being their academic career by exhibiting immense pride in being at Emory. However, many students graduate with at least a sense of respect for university. For a student beginning his/her career, this lack of school spirit can be contagious, and if it is not deflected early on, a student can become disheartend at or discontented with the institution.

Trying to figure out the worst thing about my school is a much more difficult task than I thought it would be! Ithink the worst thing about my school is that we have a great diversity of people, but within that diversity people tend to stay within their comfort zones -- therefore staying within the bounds of their ethnicity/culture. I wish that Emory had a better system of integrating everyone here on campus. I know that it is a hard task because you can't MAKE someone do something, but if there were just some way!

There is too great a focus on pre-med and pre-business curricula. Sometimes you get treated like you are not working as hard if you have a different major. That attitude can be very off-putting, especially if you are someone who likes to casually dabble in the sciences. People wonder if you are just being lazy not fully majoring in a "hard science."

The shuttle system is really. Although our shuttles are eco-friendly, I feel that there are not enough shuttles and they are not dependenable. I live rgiht off campus and I cannot even depend on it. Therefore, I have to pay about $650 per year just to be able to park to go to my classes. I hope that the school will improve on this very soon.

I feel like professors are very research focused, and aside from the Business school there is less emphasis on practical work experience and more emphasis on academic research. I wish professors would help more to get people jobs in industry instead of steering them towards research/graduate school.

The worst thing about Emory is how much it costs. It is one of the most expensive schools in the nation, but the academics and the teachers are some of the best in the country. It kind of balances itself out, but I must say the worst thing about Emory is paying $40,000 a year to attend the school.

I think there is not much advising help for those who need it. For example, those people are in the business school, or premed, or have a specific direction have advisors. Those who are confused, have a major but no real future job do not have the appropriate / much needed help.

The student body. Most are dissatisfied with Emory, and are apathetic towards the school. People complain about students' arrogance and self-importance. The people here aren't really interested in learning, just getting a good grade to make it into graduate school.