Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Preppy and snobby rich kids from Long Island. This is something I did not find detrimental to my experience at Emory, nor did I think a lot of my peers fit this category. Everyone here is pretty nerdy in terms of studying hard, but I would say mostly everyone knows how to have a good time, especially the Greeks. Greek life is pretty big here and I think there are a large percentage of people rushing both as freshman as well as upperclassmen. Also, a lot of the stereotypes reside in Asians being a large population here which is very true, but they tend to stick to themselves. And yes, the stereotype of rich white Jew from Long Island and NYC can be found here, but why does that even matter when Emory is so diverse? There are a good number of each race represented at Emory. You can definitely find groups of people to hang out with any given time, you just have to open minded and willing to meet people. Mostly everyone here is Pre-something, Pre Med, Pre Law, Pre Health and it is true of this stereotype. We work hard, but we play hard too.

the main thing that bothers me is that yes, the majority of people here are Jewish. But the terrible thing is that everyone who is not Jewish refers to them as JAPs if they even slightly resemble a spoiled son or daughter. Recently I heard someone call a girl JAPPY even though she was not Jewish. They continued to describe her as the stereotypical JAPPY daughter from Long Island and the accent and gotty accessories. It really bothered me because I am Jewish except that I am not a serious practicer of my religion, but since my mother is Jewish I am also. I have started taking it more personally because everyone refers to the large population of Jewish population of Emory students.

I've heard all kinds of things about Emory, some true, some not so true. I've heard that Emory is elitist, leftist, and too liberal. The university has been accused of wasting tax payer dollars (which I don't really understand, us being a private university)and spending too much money on it's landscaping. I've heard people say that the school is mainly concerned with rankings and there's not enough activism on campus. Emory has been considered part of the Ivy League of the south and Newsweek has named us one of its 25 New Ivies.

They are rich and privileged. They are lucky to have "Coke money." I'm told some students are unhappy that there are now so many Jewish students on campus. I personally have no problem with this.

Mainly kids from northeast especially New York area and Jewish. Rich kids who like to go out and have a good time but also know when to focus on their work.

Some of the stereotypes about Emory and Emory students are that the students are very rich and jappy, and that all of the students are from Long Island.

That many students are spoiled rich kids, everyone is from New York and Boston and it's filled with Jews. Also, all the girls are ugly.

The most common stereotype is that Emory Students are rich, Jewish, and Jappy. It is said that most of us are from Long Island.

That everyone is either pre-med or pre-business. Most people are career oriented and from Long-Island

Jappy, rich, snobby, nerdy, can't play sports, mostly from long island